Mole Rat game freeze bug is baffling me....

somethingbrite

I'm not sure of the scrapping theory, it possibly contributes. But I haven't bothered with Red Rocket as a settlement for several playthroughs (I always feel it borks Abernathy/Sanctuary as its so close to both). I toddle in there pick up Dog, clear the cave, loot the place and toddle off down the road, don't scrap or activate the workshop at all, the bug will always hit in Curies vault, 88 or the Taphouse (basically whichever I go to first).

I'm trying to remember if there is any other settlement workshop location with mole rat furniture which i might have scrapped in place of Red Rocket to activate the bug but can't think of any interior ones. Starlight Drive In for an exterior possibly although I am fairly sure I didn't scrap there as I was en route to something else when I cleared it on this play through.

I also remember the unofficial had something going on with mole rat furniture, something about when a cell unloaded them I think, can't remember what the upshot of it was or whether any fix was implemented but I think it was at least a year back if not longer. 

I wonder if Bethesda made any changes to the mole rat attack script when it brought Nuka World on line (bloodworms get same bug)?

I do know that I have had past playthroughs (pre nuka world), with far more heavily scripted stuff than I have now, cheerfully scrapping those mounds, and no bug. 

In terms of scrapping. 

I don't think you need to have scrapped the item itself. It is probably enough that it is listed in a mod and that conflicts or influences the behaviour of another mod, the base game etc.n

I use Spring Cleaning plus the extended scrap list from that (and the compatability patch)  and nothing Mole Ratty is referenced in either its form id's or constructible objects so no clue really. I think if I was going to scrap them I would probably have used one of Place Everywhere's functions but don't think that would work the same way.  

If a scrap mod can scrap something then it needs to be listed in that mod. 

If it's not...it can't. 

I've probably used more than one scrap and/or build anywhere mod over the years - but I can't see that particular install right now so can't check exactly which ones. 

I do recall doing some testing with xEdit and I did find references to the mole rat mound as furniture in one of them. But, I think my problems were already baked into the saves by then...

Having this issue too. I'm running scrap everything, sim settlements and homemaker (and CBBE, heard that was an issue with 81 too)

So prior to entering vault 81, golden. I've had some minor issues in my game, but I'm running like 200 mods here. Nothing broken and I'm approaching 7 days. Once entering I get to around where the big one pops up, everything normal up until that point. I have Shei the wolf, an Valkyrie with me (maybe relevant, who knows). At that point he runs a bit forward, I take a potshot, no luck, he goes out of view I walk slightly forward, boom ctd.

Try it again, maybe a oneoff, nope definitely something there. so I try the tdetect thing (saved a few rooms before), I can open the door, rats popping up, seems like a fine time to clear them, get about halfway through killing them, Boom. CTD again.

So I just start moving through them with tdetect. I get a bit turned around, wander a bit, CTD.

Load back up again, this time tdetect, and heading through the walls with tcl. Fine, at curie, turn it back on. Still fine, grab the bobble, complete the quest, head through the back. Still fine, down to the basement, fix up Austin, still fine. Realize I havent turned in for the here kitty kitty quest, and the quest marker is above me. Modern Problems require modern solutions, and I've got a jetpack, jump up, boom ctd before I reach ground level.

Curious and I have a save before this, but after finishing up curie. Head back there again, same problem, same area. 

So now I get the idea of finishing the hole in the wall quest, and I teleport out of vault 81. Head right to Sanctuary. Get there, and maybe about a minute in. CTD, every time, same time. Not sure if all that helps. I may try that Homebrew script. There is some entry for Bobby and a missing property in my Papyrus log, so I'm not sure if that's connected to anything either.

Anyways hopefully this helps a bit. I'll add some of it to that bug entry. Also I voted it up. New here, so not sure if that's helpful or not, but I assume so.

• 2 weeks later...

Occasionally the bug gets worse - probably in heavily scripted save games.
My solution for those is to leave companions outside. Go into the relevant area in tdetect, get everything everywhere to spawn (in curies vault that means going right up to her window but not interacting with her). Back right out of the relevant area until back with companions. come out of tdtect and try making a save there. If that save works then go back into tdetect, leave companions behind again and go kill everything that has already spawned (might need to use consol to do it - in curies vault the damn things spawn behind walls sometimes, you can hear them but not see them), back right out when its all dead and save again, then finally return in a third time with companions in tow (if you want) and finish whatever quest it is.

Also if you teleport out of a buggy situation try teleporting to an interior cell. I use the Diamond City Greenhouse cell for situations like that , the Mechanists lair would work, or Home Plate if you own it. If that teleport works you should be able to save in that interior cell. Reload that save before heading out and it might help to prevent CTD's

Just wanted to post an update to this issue. It may help, but I don't know. In my current game, i reached level 102, and then the bug hit.

i'd progressed through the mole rat den, vault 81, the vim factory and it hit me in mad mulligan's mine in nukaworld, when the blood worms spawn out of the brahmin carcasses.

not a single problem before, and obviously, as soon as that happened, i knew that the game was toast.

in the 102 levels i played, i had the same mod set up as i started with, added nothing, took none away, and boom - literally out of nowhere (or out of a dead brahmin), the issue appeared. Now, if I go to any location where mole rats, or blood worms spawn in an internal cell, the game is hosed.

On the Simsettlements forums there have been a few posts from other players experiencing the same, or very similar issue. So it's out there, reasonably widespread but with no clean idea of the root cause.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm another victim of the bug. Same thing, something happens that triggers the bug, then, when I enter a cell with mole rats (or other enemy that have the "hide underground" abiliity) and get detected by that enemy, and after that I try to save the game or change the cell, the game freezes.. Also, once the bug starts, the bug happens to all cells with mole rats. I'm using A LOT of mods, in fact  the maximum amount of mods allowed. Which includes: Horizon, Place anywhere, WheelMenu, UFO4 Patch, SalvageBeacons, AAF, MCG, Homemaker, EnhancedLightsandFX, BostonFPSFix, AdvancedAITweaks, Unlimited Companion Framework, Unique NPCs - Creatures and Monsters, and yes Sim Settlements (3 in 1 + Conqueror). PS: I don't use any Scrap Mod apart of Horizon.

I already started several Fallout 4 games, but that's the first time this happens to me. And between the last time I played without this problem and now, the only mod I added was WheelMenu (I don't know if it's related, probably not). I also tried several methods to try to solve the problem, but apparently something happens with the Save file, and when it does, that Save File is forever broken. I also confirm the strange non-aggressive behavior of the mole rats when the bug is active.

I believe that something in the broken save file generates a conflict between the mole rats' AI inside the cell and some specific function used in the script of these mods, which in turn when accessing the save file freezes the game. That explains why disabling a specific mod can solve the problem.

In short: Based on what has been said here, and on my personal experience. I believe the "mechanism" is as follows;
Normal Save File -> (*) ??? ->Broken save file->  enter a cell with mole rats -> be detected by a mole rat -> try to save or exit the cell -> game freezes;

So, there is a unusual and rare event that happens in (*) which I have no idea what it is (probably related to some combination of mods that use a lot of scripting that when happens creates a corrupted save file that triggers this bug), and as far as I know there's no fix for it, apart of disable a mod or specific combination of mods that varies from person to person. Or, of corse, to use another save file. Although I believe disabling a mod doesn't "fix" the bug, it just avoids the conflict it generates. Like, In my understanding, the problem is caused by a broken save file. And yes, this broken save file is caused by some mod or set of mods. But disabling the mod after this will not "unbreak" the save file. But anyway... 

I'll try the solution posted earlier here to Set max scripts in Sim Settlements to 0 to avoid the bug from trigger. But again, I confirm that after the bug has triggered, this solution doesn't solve the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

No idea if this might be helpful to someone else with this bug.
I started a new game and in the process of doing so decided to completely redo any fixes I had implemented.
I knew I had changed some things over the years in nvidia inspector and various inis.

Anyway what I did was deleted not only the usual suspects of the fallout.ini and the prefs.ini located in Documents/My Games/Fallout4,
but I also deleted the fallout4Prefs.ini located in steamapps/common/Fallout 4/Fallout4 folder 
and the Fallout4_Default.ini located in steamapps/common/Fallout 4.  
Then I reverted all Nvidia inspector settings for FO4 back to default and reenabled only the frame limiter.
(I also use ENBoost so could have enabled the limiter in the enblocal.ini - but I had nvidia inspector open anyway :)
Started the game and let it reinitialise all the inis.
Then I used GEForceExperience to optimise everything (In my case I have to do this anyway as Fallout 4 doesn't recognise my graphic card)

For whichever reason this playthrough hasn't had the bug, for first time in several playthroughs. Only place I haven't been is the Vim pop factory in FH as I haven't been to FH yet but everywhere in the Commonwealth and in Nuka World its worked fine.
My suspicion is that, in my case, the bug was something to do with the Vsynch and frame rate settings I had, given that Vsynch is tied to physics settings in Bethesda games - possibly they were in one place and not another where they needed to be, or were in the wrong place or were just the wrong settings but who knows what other dire alterations were lurking in my settings lol

(It also fixed one or two other minor irritants, like NPC's sinking through custom foundations to come to rest at ground level)

Ah well - spoke too soon. 15 days later when nothing has changed the bug hit.  Sigh. Back to tdetect then. Will try that mod re the tuinnelling script as well - why not :)

Edit .

Looked on that mod page and found a user who has done an updated esp which includes bloodworms as well.  tHANKS To OPT Wood for pointing me in the right direction.  It is working for me, horrid things seem much more lively as well. 

Might be a plan if someone else with the bug in this thread was to try the mod out and report back  - Needs to be more than one persons experience :)