Karliah Bug

DunarilRedoran111

Hey, HUGE issue here. I mean massive.

I’m currently going through the Thieves’ guild questline and I’m in the middle of “Trinity Restored”. When I’ve got my nightingale armour and Karliah is supposed to open the gate so I can swear the oath, after the dialogue she just walks away. A google search revealed that this is very common and there are a few fixes, but none of them have worked for me.

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could work your magic quickly with this one. Thanks in advance.

That always happens to me too, but I have read that the team cannot reproduce it even though many players have experienced that problem for years. This is as poorly designed as Blood on the Ice.

We're convinced beyond most doubt that this issue is not a vanilla bug, but is being influenced by mods regardless of what various wikis have to say on the subject. We can't ever reproduce it even on saves provided where the users swear up and down it'll repeat on demand.

I haven't play the Thiefs Guild questline before and this issue reminds me about another issue, which the USKP team didn't consider to be a vanilla bug untill recently.

@Arthmoor Could this issue be another "hard to find the cause of the issue in question" like it was with getting two Dawnbreaker in a Daedric quest?

I'm convinced it's caused by follower mods such as AFT.  I used it years ago and this bug happened every single time.  I have a much smaller mod list these days and nothing related to follower behavior and the bug never occurs anymore.  My husband had the issue as well, I suggested removing AFT on his next new game, and he no longer has the problem either.

No, aside from armor and weapon mods, I have the unofficial patch, Campfire and some other fixes like Wiseman and Kryptopyr stuff.  But what I can add to that is my husband and I don't use any of the same mods except for the unofficial patch and at that time AFT (our play styles are completely opposite and he just doesn't use the other fixes).  So whether there is some correlation between the unofficial patch and AFT-type mods causing that, I don't know.   I don't even remember if I had the unofficial patch way back then as there was a period of time when I first started playing that I didn't use it.

I see.  Well, most people know that either installing mods or worse uninstalling mods is not recommended to do in SSE, especially not uninstalling any mod that has scripts.

AFT do have scripts, but from what I can tell the player have the option, described in the AFT ReadMe book, to either rest AFT and/or uninstall AFT as AFT doesn't require SKSE64.

AFT also have an option to reset a NPC in-game, so read the AFT ReadMe as it covers a lot of stuff including of how to troubleshoot an issue.

Anyway, I know that AFT did have one issue in the past and that was related to the Aerin bug as AFT cancel the bug fix for Aerin in the old USKP.  But that is fixed now as AFT doesn't cancel the bug fix for Aerin in USSEP.

A new game with nothing installed is required here, not even USSEP, and try to reproduce the issue just to see what result it has.

I use AFT-SE and have also read that it causes the Karliah behavior complained of. However, I never use aft to manage her until after the TG questline is completed. 

That doesn't prove that AFT can cause the issue with Karliah, until someone can reproduce the issue with only AFT active.

Well really the point I wanted to make was that I'm also convinced it's not a vanilla bug, and as Arthmoor stated, is influenced by mods, whichever mods those might be in individual cases.  For our household, removing AFT has kept the problem from occurring for the past four years using a variety of other mods across dozens of characters and play-throughs. Also, I'm still playing classic Skyrim rather than SSE, so I gather it's still an issue on the new version.

If you want to make your argument valid then do what I suggested in my previous post, otherwise it is what Arthmoor stated not a vanilla bug.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:17 AM, Leonardo said:

If you want to make your argument valid then do what I suggested in my previous post, otherwise it is what Arthmoor stated not a vanilla bug.

If you are talking to Ondrea, why would she bother to prove anything? She already agrees with Arthmoor's view that it is not a vanilla bug and her experience has been that it does not occur in her games where AFT is not installed.

9 hours ago, Thenryb said:

If you are talking to Ondrea, why would she bother to prove anything?

Then don't state that AFT cause this issue when it is installed.  Or disprove it by reproducing the issue with only AFT active.   No other mods, not even USSEP, can be installed at the same time in a new game.

I think as far as she's concerned she's already made the case that AFT is contributing to this problem.