A problem with molerats (not the disease, something else)

Gentester

I can't place this in the tracker as I have no idea if the issue exists in an unmodded save  (not that I've tried lol)
A bug with molerats I have had on at least 3 (Otherwise trouble free and heavily modded) playthroughs.
I have no mods which alter molerats in any way shape or form - not their scripting and not even texture mods or mesh replacers.
If you shoot a molerat from a swarm which comes into existence as you enter an area (i.e. the hidden part of Curies vault as an example) you cannot afterwards save your game without it freezing.
The solution for me is to go into these areas with no companion initially and Killall the molerats in the consol, I can then save perfectly normally and go back for my companion. Having tried several different scenarios Killall works as a fix but KAH sometimes doesn't, and as its a swarm doing each one individually is a bit tricky.  The problem then is that of course all the other enemies in these locations are also dead which seems mega cheaty - don't mind using a consol command to get around a glitch but not just to make my life easier.
I don't know if this is the same issue but one of the very first molerats encountered in Curies vault is frozen, arse in the air above its hole not dead but frozen - you can empty a gun into it and its still just frozen.
I have found at least three other reports of the same issue
https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/360670708776433033/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/144513248282521815/
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3584415-crashing-after-trying-to-save-after-killing-molerats-at-red-rocket/

Likeliest scenario to me suggests either a problem in the molerat script (the frozen in situ one in the vault) or a wonky mesh. One of the above posters found a wonky mesh from CBBE clothing was causing it for him but I don't use CBBE so thats not my problem.
Throwing this into the forum here as I wondered if others apart from the above have the problem and if they have found solutions to it?

I've been through there a few times on various characters and I never had that happen.  Reading through those posts a few trace it to a specific mod but they're all different mods.  My game is pretty lightly modded so there's got to be some relation to a mod.  I just have a couple weapon and clothing mods.  I don't do settlements so only have two mods to decorate Red Rocket.  And then a few textures. Also I only use hard saves and I've only been in there when not playing on survival (not sure any of that matters).  

yeah its an odd one for sure. It doesn't happen in exterior locations for me either. I guess at some point I will have to play a unmodded game (yuck) to the point of going into Curies vault and then do the load in 5 mods thing till I hit it  - oh deep joy. Luckily it's not insurmountable - thank god I play on a PC. :)

oh I aim to have the most baffling bugs lol.   on a bit more fiddling around I have discovered that if the molerats don't aggro on me (i.e. I have shoved myself into Tdetect) I can shoot them perfectly normally and save the game as normal afterwards - so go figure sigh. I have no idea why when they can detect me they hate me so much they crash the game rofl. But at least doing that means I still get to properly kill any other enemies so all good.

• 1 month later...

I had that with hole in the wall and also shamrock taphouse - same thing, once the molerat ambush triggers there is no way to save or leave the cell without a crash.

I just completed the Curie quest with console commands (which is annoying) but played around a bit with Shamrock. 

In shamrock if you TCL to clip through the wall at the robot end you can collect the password holotape and activate the protectron without triggering the molerats. Then you can save and exit etc without issue. 

However, if you trigger the molerats - even from outside the room (by shooting through the hole in the wall for example) then your game will freeze. I even threw a grenade from the top of the stairs for an insta-crash effect. 

I was thinking it may be related to a trigger marker that starts the ambush, but the more I think about it and my experience in Hole in the wall the more I think it's actually related to the molerat attack itself which does seem buggy. (Their behaviour is sketchy, a little like they are partially frozen/their AI is not running) 

• 3 weeks later...

Out of interest...

Why would a bad mesh on a CBBE outfit toast an entire cell and the scripts therein?

I have actually performed a bunch of testing on this (using vault81secret cell as my test cell. I may extend this to Shamrock Taphouse but I think the results will show the same thing.)

I posted my findings here - https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/5349-mole-rat-game-freeze-bug-is-baffling-me/

However, what I found was that the mod "Scrap Everything" would cause the issue with 100% repeatability if it was active in my load order. All other mods could be active but as long as "Scrap Everything" was disabled then the issue would not occur. 

However, I also discovered that even with Scrap Everything active in the load order, as long as the mole rats to not aggro then the problem does not occur! - to test this i used console to toggle AI detection OFF (tDetect) - passing the trigger points would still trigger the mole rat ambush, they would emerge from their tunnels but would not aggro and this it seems is part of the key. As long as thy do not aggro it is possible to save and/or exit the cell without a freeze. Once they aggro...then the freeze will occur on save or exit. 

On 10/27/2018 at 7:35 PM, somethingbrite said:

Why would a bad mesh on a CBBE outfit toast an entire cell and the scripts therein?

It doesn't but that's not the point. A faulty mesh will corrupt the engine code that handles the mesh and you get a crash. Whether everything else in the loaded area is fine or not doesn't matter.

• 5 months later...

I've found this discussion seems to have been continued here

https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/5349-mole-rat-game-freeze-bug-is-baffling-me/