Is anyone else running into this problem with BA2 archives?

Langeston

Here is an image of a skin texture in Bodyslide. On the left is the texture when packaged in a BA2, the right is the same files when extracted and installed as loose files. The diffuse is fine I think, but the specular map is way off, causing the distortion/artifacts.

I just got done packing pretty much all of my textures into BA2s because it is my understanding that it will reduce loading times and stutter, and then I noticed this. I have tried packaging the files uncompressed with the same result. Has anyone else run into this?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. The same issues persist in-game. I only used the Bodyslide screenshots because it was easier to get a good comparison.

It might just be an issue with that particular texture, but I don't understand why being in a BA2 archive would affect it like that.

Are you sure your archive is loaded in the game, that the game does not fallback to the vanilla textures if yours are overrides and not completely new ones?

Then you probably saved DDS in incorrect format. When archived into DDS streamed BA2 archive, the only stored information for a texture apart from dimensions is DXGI type and cubemap flag. If texture is not in DX10 format (doesn't have explicit DXGI type in DDS header) then it is autodetected before packing. So either autodetection gone wrong or maybe texture relies on some other flags from DDS header which are not carried over.

Try to save it using BC7 compression in DX10 format and then pack.

Well, I saved it in BC7 and it worked, so thank you.

I have no idea if I was supposed to save it with an alpha channel or not, or use sRGB or linear, etc. as I don't know a thing about that stuff, but it looks ok to my eyes, and the file went from 85 MB to 16.

The thing I don't understand is this: I have packed BA2s before that had incorrect formats, and the archive tool notified me of it in bright red letters. When
I packed this one, everything went smoothly with no flags at all.

Anyways, thank you for your help. I had given up on it and resigned myself to using loose files. I really appreciate it.

Textures should be linear, but I'm not a texture artist. You'd better speak with more knowledeable people out there who create texture packs. NifTools discord for example has enough such people to help with texture formats in FO4.

Also BC7 is not the best option for specular (only advised it for a test), iirc the game uses BC5 for them. But again, ask someone else.