Cleaning Masters in Fallout New Vegas

UnshodCobbler

I have noticed several Identical To Master (ITM) records in Fallout New Vegas' DLC, the 10mm Pistol being one of the obvious ones.  I was looking for direction on cleaning these masters and didn't find one here.  Is there one and I am just too green to find it?  Or am I traveling a new path?

NV 10mm Pistol.PNG

Havok is bugged in FO3/FNV engine and cleaning process which involves moving deleted refs under the ground causes issues there (depends on hardware I guess since there were reports of both normal functioning and issues after cleaning). So don't clean FO3/FNV DLCs, and even custom mods require special handling.

9 hours ago, zilav said:

Havok is bugged in FO3/FNV engine and cleaning process which involves moving deleted refs under the ground causes issues there (depends on hardware I guess since there were reports of both normal functioning and issues after cleaning). So don't clean FO3/FNV DLCs, and even custom mods require special handling.

I was told that I should disable Sort FLST, Set enable state opposite of player, Set scale, Set Z position and Replace MSTT Form ID options on xEdit when cleaning FO3/NV dlc's. Is this valid or I should not touch the dlc masters at all?

I've had the DLCs cleaned in my copies of FO3 and NV since forever and it's never caused any sort of problems with CTDs or Havok issues. I think it's the same kind of bogus signal people get from every other game, where some insist cleaning crashes them all and others insist it doesn't. I have seen no solid evidence to say that CTDs would be expected so I'd lean toward thinking those reports were due to bad modding practices on the parts of those users.

Thanks Arthmoor. 

Back to my original question.  Is there a road map of sorts for cleaning FNV/FO3 as there is for Skyrim?

Pretty much the same process. Load the mod you want to clean, right click to get the filter for cleaning, and then remove ITMs and UDRs. There's no manual cleaning guide for it that I'm aware of because the folks who usually write those up don't play Fallout games much.

@Arthmoor,

Do you use YUP? I have read from several sources now that YUP makes cleaning the master files basically an exercise in futility at best. However I also know how much misinformation there is in the modding community in general, and Fallout seems to be even worse than Skyrim in that regard. I have just started modding New Vegas, and so far it has been a right frustrating experience.

I know that Vurt's mod shouldn't be cleaned, are there any others you know of off the top of your head that I should leave alone?

edit: Another question: should I clean YUP after the masters? It winds up having 21 ITM records.

I have YUP installed and it would have no bearing on cleaning the masters. They still have faults to address regardless. Those kinds of things can't be patched away.

I forget if I cleaned YUP itself, but it probably does have a few ITMs or something as well. Most mods for the older games do.

"I have YUP installed and it would have no bearing on cleaning the masters. They still have faults to address regardless. Those kinds of things can't be patched away. "

Can you explain what you mean by this please?

ITMs and UDRs basically. You can't get rid of either of those with a patch of any sort. YUP might have changed some of the edits to fix bugs, but that's no different than USSEP doing the same for Skyrim SE. You'd sill need to clean the masters to remove the rest that aren't overridden and YUP would still need to be careful not to edit a deleted record.