Starfield

Arthmoor

Yep, all that trolling we've been seeing with starfields showing up in the backgrounds of everything Bethesda related lately was for real. Genuinely curious about this one myself.

I'm really interested in a pure single player sandbox RPG in a sci-fi world.

The real question is if they would have you travel between worlds or if the whole thing is on 1 world. I would think travel would be involved somehow since that is usually a big thing about sci-fi games, spaceships!

Also genuinely curious .. But not quite teased or excited. There's just nothing to get excited about.

Is it 3D Missile command?

Space walking simulator?

We can only guess there may well be far more content to the eventual game, but a bit more of a hint would have been good.

Did anyone else notice the little man on the satellite? :lol:

You have to look very closely at the ring around it, he's in a position closest to you and walking to the right around it.

It also appears that you are standing in your own ship, at around 00:14 there's a reflection of text in the bottom left corner, possibly saying "constellation" ?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
9 hours ago, LeBurns said:

Still can't get excited for something so far away.  Especially when all we really want is TES-VI.

Exactly, wish Bethesda didn't create this IP, and instead worked on TES VI.

36 minutes ago, Talyn82 said:

Exactly, wish Bethesda didn't create this IP, and instead worked on TES VI.

I felt the same way about Fallout 3.  I even refused to buy the game for years as a form of protest. I hated that they were wasting their time making some idiotic post-apocalyptic game when all I really wanted from them was TES V.   But I broke down and bought it when Steam put it on sale in 2014 and found, to my surprise, that I actually liked it.  So I'm keeping an open mind about this.   

• Like 2

I think Starfield will be a refreshing change of scenery from them, but I do agree it remains to be seen just how good of a change it ends up being.

Developers, like anyone else, enjoy having variety in what they do and this will be one thing that helps provide that. Working on a new project is something I'm sure they're excited for.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

I felt the same way about Fallout 3.  I even refused to buy the game for years as a form of protest. I hated that they were wasting their time making some idiotic post-apocalyptic game when all I really wanted from them was TES V.   But I broke down and bought it when Steam put it on sale in 2014 and found, to my surprise, that I actually liked it.  So I'm keeping an open mind about this.   

Part of my issue is the changes they will make.  IMO since Morrowind the changes they have made to the following games where more a miss than a hit.  Still played them all to death, but so many things they add just don't work as a good feature, or are just downright annoying.  I know they will change things in this game, and I always like to think that they look back at prior games to see what worked well and what didn't, but it seems they often make the wrong choices.

I'll be waiting to make sure that Starfield isn't just a space colony building simulator with some action RPG elements tossed in that half work.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 11:52 AM, LeBurns said:

it seems they often make the wrong choices.

"Wrong" in art and entertainment is relative.  What is a "wrong choice" for you is liable to be a right choice for someone else.  If you are concerned about the direction they have been taking since Morrowind, then I'd say you are doing the right thing to wait and see. 

But you might be pleasantly surprised.  I think Starfield is going to have more than just "some action-RPG elements tossed in".  Howard has stated:  "It's also a bit more hardcore of a role playing game than we've done.  It's got some really great character systems – choosing your background, things like that.  We’re going back to some things that we used to do in games long ago that we felt have really let players express the character they want to be. "

44 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Well, of course, "wrong" in art and entertainment is entirely relative.  What is a "wrong choice" for you is liable to be a right choice for someone else.  But, if you are concerned about the direction they have been taking since Morrowind, then I'd say you are doing the right thing to wait and see. 

But you might be pleasantly surprised.  I think Starfield is going to have more than just "some action-RPG elements tossed in".  Howard has stated:  "It's also a bit more hardcore of a role playing game than we've done.  It's got some really great character systems – choosing your background, things like that.  We’re going back to some things that we used to do in games long ago that we felt have really let players express the character they want to be. "

Promising but still will not pre order at this point, unless of course the promise me a mat black stealth scout/fighter ship.

• Like 3

On 10/21/2021 at 2:34 AM, Pseron Wyrd said:

Bethesda posted a new video on Starfield:

Ha, just glancing over the thread i first thought that the video title was "The Settlement System" and i had a vision of Preston Garvey in a space suit. :lmao:

My excitement is still below zero. Maybe mildly curious if they can fill this with enough background, lore and most important a interesting story and a player character that is not to pre-defined.

• Like 3

Don't get too wrapped up in what Todd promises. I really waited on pins and needles for Fallout 76 and we all know how that went. Still this could turn out to be something really great. Won't know for sure until we get our grubby little mitts on it.

• Like 2

From my son at five "My mitt not grubby, it new".

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...

A new behind-the-scenes video.  I'll be interested to see this new dialog/persuasion system they're talking about.  It sounds like alternate starts might be part of the base game too.

• Like 2

I'm not going to lie, the vid got me pretty excited. They're pushing all the right buttons for this old man. Should have a new PC by the time it comes out so my hardware shouldn't be a problem.

The backgrounds and stats I'm certainly into. I wonder if they will have actual classes though or if every player just ends up being the same demi-god if they play long enough.  Also not so sure about the ending they alluded to either.  The 'Meaning of Life' can mean different things to different people.  I hope they are not pushing us into some pigeon hole.

But so far I'm in.  But we'll see.

• Like 2

Here we are 4 years later and my excitement level is down around nil now. Until they show actual gameplay and not just talk about it there's not much keep my interest. So far I'm feeling "Fallout in space".

Bring on TES VI !!

2 hours ago, Hana said:

Here we are 4 years later and my excitement level is down around nil now. Until they show actual gameplay and not just talk about it there's not much keep my interest. So far I'm feeling "Fallout in space".

Bring on TES VI !!

There exists a joke about a woman who dated a salesman for a little while before she broke it off.  He kept telling her how great the product was and how simple the process was, but never actually did anything.  I think of that unfortunate, frustrated woman every time I read or see a sales pitch. 

And TES VI or Fallout: New Vegas 2.0. 

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have avoided the hype as in all honesty space adventures only minimally appeal to me. If its Skyrim in space I'll be happy ish.  However given the last release - I won't be pre ordering. Will wait till people like Gopher et al have had a look and voiced some opinions. Can always wait for a sale as well :) 

• 2 weeks later...