Oblivion <--> Skyrim Mesh Compatibility

Malonn

Tell me, are classic Skyrim meshes compatible with the Oblivion engine?  Could I drop an mesh right into the game world with no issues?  If not, is there guidance on what it takes to make the meshes compatible?  Specifically what I'm wondering about are armor meshes.  I'd like to port some of the Skyrim armors to Oblivion (personal project; won't be released) for my gameplaying enjoyment.

No, the two nif formats are completely different.

You would have to import Oblivion meshes into a 3D program like Blender, and then follow Skyrim export processes.

And the same would be true to try and backport a mesh for Skyrim to Oblivion. Can't get away from it without a 3D program.

LOL, that's what I meant to say... dunno why I went with porting from Ob to Sky :rofl:

Heh, I figured, but just wanted to make sure that was clear to Malonn :P

Hey, thanks you two.  So that raises another question.  I have Blender portable from Nexus.  I think it's tailored to Oblivion as far as having the nif exporting capability, PyFFI scripts, etc.  I'm sure you two are familiar with version 2.49b--I have that.  I need more for Skyrim, eh?  Would I need the latest version of Blender?  I'm really not that familiar with Blender.  The UI is confusing.  I have wandered my way around for a project once, but don't remember most of (was a while ago) so I'll be starting fresh.  What I'm asking is what do I need to handle my business?

EDIT:

Well, let  me ask this too:  will porting meshes be simple?  Or are there UV mapping and texturing issues I'll have to work through?

Blender portable is fine because yes you need Blender 2.49b for this. I hope you're familiar enough working in it as no, this is not a simple process.

I'll PM you with further details. Porting is a touchy subject, even for personal use, and Im not going to make the information public.

In the meantime, you can have a read through this tutorial I wrote on how to work with Skyrim meshes, as this will be an integral part of the process.

I am not that familiar with Blender.  I was just thinking it would be cool to see some of the Skyrim armors in my Oblivion game.  If it's a hassle for you, and if it will be a hassle for me, I'm not interested enough to ask anyone to go out of their way.  I was thinking it would be a simple 2, 3 steps and it's done.  Meshes have never been my thing when it comes to modding.  But I'm willing to learn.

It is a complicated process and recommended for advanced modelers. For beginners I'd recommend starting smaller, and not getting into meshes that require rigging. If you've skimmed my tutorial I linked above and feel you can follow that process I'll continue working on my notes for you.

Thanks for being so willing and helpful, but don't bother with it.  A beginner is more experienced than I am.  Like I said, I kinda thought it would be easy.  If it's not, it isn't that big of a deal to me.