What kind of problems will I run into if I disable the mod on my save ?

Modinstaller

Hi there.

I was enjoying the UFO4P greatly (thanks a lot for making it by the way!) but ran into a pretty troublesome problem that only seems to go away when I disable the mod. I'm not sure if the patch is its cause, but right now the only solution I have is disabling it.

The problem is a CTD when inspecting some apparel items (including CTD when looting some apparel legendaries since it auto-inspects). Made a report there https://afktrack.afkmods.com/index.php?a=issues&i=24544&c=52799

It seems like I'm not the only one. I can see at least 2 other reports. In any case, it's either waiting for dev help which might or might not come, continuing with the bug having random crashes in survival (not too enjoyable!), or disabling the mod until there is a fix. Despite the fact that disabling mods is a no-no, it seems to be my only real solution.

So there it is. Does anyone know what kind of problems I could run into after disabling the patch, if any ? Should I follow a specific procedure to be safe or is just disabling it in NMM the best way to go about it ? Should I really not do it ? No sense in fixing one bug to run into 12 others.

Disabling it is not an option. Your save will be toast. The same is true of disabling most any mod btw, not just the patch. It's inherent to the game design and this has been the case since 2011 with Skyrim as well.

Your only recourse would be starting over on a new save without the patch.

Alright, I believe you. I loaded my save without the mod a few times already (with backups) and it at least didn't spontaneously implode.

So is it just a matter of time until something goes wrong ? How wrong ? Some fixed quests which are simply broken and won't progress, missing dialogue, all that stuff ?

When you say most any mod, does that include texture replacement mods as well ?

It'll be subtle, but insidious. Chances are quite good that multiple areas of the game will simply break and you won't realize it until much later. Other mods would probably have that happen more quickly.

If a mod has no ESP and no scripts then it's probably going to be ok to remove without an issue.

Thanks to you and your team for all the work you do to make these games run more smoothly and squash the many bugs.  So I've heard this sermon before -- and I'm a believer.  But this particular response prompted some questions:

1-Does this mean that we should not update the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch mid-game?  I know each new version adds many things, and sometimes includes a revert from a previous change.

2-So I understood that mods with scripts can present a problem if deleted, but it sounds like you're also saying that simple ESPs (such as a change to leveled lists, weapon damage, etc) could also be a problem.  Would it also be a problem if the mod wasn't deleted, but changed -- if it doesn't include scripts?

3-Is this issue particular to Fallout 4 alone, or is it also a problem with earlier Fallout and TES games?

Thanks for taking the time to educate us!

Updating the patch mid-game is perfectly safe, so long as you don't load a save while it's disabled.

Yes, mods that only have an esp can also be a problem because some of the things they change can stick behind in the save even when the mod is gone. Changing it won't necessarily help either if the data has been baked into the save.

This issue started with Skyrim when they changed the way things work with Papyrus. Games from Oblivion on to New Vegas it used to be entirely safe to remove the vast majority of mods without a second thought, and it's this ingrained behavior that has been so hard to break people of since 2011. Especially when so many of them just don't believe anyone to tells them this stuff.

Damn. I guess it's time to start over yet another new save then.

Because I don't believe the CTD I'm experiencing is going to be fixed any soon, if it even can. Especially since there have been very few people to report it since the last release 6 months ago.

In any case thanks for the help !