CK keeps altering head parts data

dAb

Is there any way to avoid this? All I did in these NPC was altering their level and replacing a spell and every time I save the ESP in the CK head parts data, textures and tint layers get all messed up. Carrying over the master records in xEdit is useless, as the next time I save the mod in the CK they will be altered once again.

KNw5nyt.png

AFAIK, anything changed on an NPC (even if you don't change the morph data) results in the CK regenerating the facegen data, both the face mesh and texture.

However, from the 2 trials I made a few months ago I determined that the CRCs /md5s of the resulting files are exactly the same as the vanilla ones (no morph or tint modification from you, I insist on that once again). This should probably need more testing but imo and in this specific case you can just throw out these files, even if you can't prevent the CK from regenerating them again and again...

Ok, my concern was more about the ESP itself, not the facegen data files. At any rate I have spawned that NPC in game and everything looks normal to me. No black face, no mismatched face/body colors when she's naked, no missing eyes, nothing. I can't tell any difference either with and without those subrecords. Of course I have removed all facegen data files before testing. I also tried with several other NPC that get the same treatment by the CK. So I'd say I'm good and I don't really have to worry about it?

That's the point. But for your modding purpose why don't you use a dedicated actor template rather than modifying a vanilla one ? Find the one you want in the vanilla game, make a copy of it (from within the CK or in xEdit by using the 'copy as new record' feature) and then mod it to your taste. Of course, here, as you created a new record you will need to keep the generated facegen files.

These kinds of arbitrary changes to face tint data have never caused us any trouble with the unofficial patch, and the CK does it to us all the time. We just ignore it.

If you check ACBS\Template Flags there is "Use Traits" amongst the others, so this NPC uses facegen from the template and any local facegen data is ignored. I don't know why CK does that - is it a different dev CK version which handles templated NPCs property vs the one they gave us, or maybe Version Control resets local facegen data if it is inherited when merging into esm. But this is clearly just a bug in CK.

By the way this record also has "Use Spell List" template flag so your spell changes are ignored too unless you remove it.

Ah so that's why there are no issues in game, it's because it uses the template anyway. Good to know!

And I have now removed the spell list flag as well. Ty.