Fast Travel Bug

scbfromnc

This may be an engine bug, but I didn't see it mentioned after performing a search on this forum or the Skyrim forum.  In my current game I'm unable to fast travel and get the message, "Fast Travel is not permitted from this location".  I investigated my current mods and couldn't find a cause there, then read a posting on the Wiki (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:920357).  Basically, I just entered a console command (player.moveto 000198ab) and, after teleporting, I was able to fast travel as normal.  Is this something that can be addressed in the patch?

That's normal as far I can tell, but it depends where, what location/cell, you tried to fast travel from or to.

i was outside High Hrothgar heading down the steps.  I tried several other saves from different outside locations and couldn't fast travel from any of them.  First time this has happened to me.  I've had no problems with fast travel on other games.  So it's not normal behavior.  But it works fine now from this game since I used the console to fast travel that first time.  Not a big deal now.  Just a bit frustrating trying to figure out what was wrong.

Never ever used the console for anything else before that in the current save game? Skyrim can be a delicate mechanism in certain scenarios when untested modding can be rather deleterious to the integrity of the save.

Just out of interest, please post the mod list,.

The only thing I've ever used the console for is to change the timescale.  Better Fast Travel - Ships and Carriages is a loose files version since the mod author has not transferred to Skyrim SE.  The loose files version disables fast travel, but I tried editing the file to remove that and it made no difference.  I also tried disabling the mod (as a test only) and that also made no difference.  You might argue that the fast travel command is embedded in my game, but fast travel works fine after I used the console to teleport.  In any case, thanks for your response.

Here's the list of mods:

Spoiler

GameMode=SkyrimSE
Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Falskaar.esm=1
Night Eye Overhaul.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp=1
Unofficial Skyrim Survival Patch.esp=1
SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp=1
icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp=1
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp=1
DarkerNights.esp=1
Point The Way.esp=1
Brighter toggleable Candlelight and Torches.esp=1
CC'sEnhancedOreVeinsSSE-HearthfirePatch.esp=1
BardSoundsMalukah.esp=1
Audio Overhaul Skyrim.esp=1
BreezehomeEnchanter.esp=1
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp=1
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp=1
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp=1
Run For Your Lives.esp=1
AcquisitiveSoulGemMultithreaded.esp=1
Bound Tools Spell.esp=1
CureDiseaseSpell.esp=1
Night Eye Overhaul.esp=1
NEO Persistent Spell.esp=1
BFT Ships and Carriages.esp=1
Cutting Room Floor.esp=1
Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Cutting Room Floor Patch.esp=1
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp=1
RDO - CRF + USSEP Patch.esp=1
OpenFaceHelmets.esp=1
1nivWICCloaks.esp=1
WIC Survival Patch.esp=1
SPTDiverseGuardsSkyrimSE.esp=1
Shrine Blessings All DLC.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives-CRFPatch.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives-PaarDilemmaPatch.esp=1
MLU.esp=1
EZonesRedone SSE.esp=1
Audio Overhaul Skyrim - MLU Patch.esp=1
NoBSAIProjectileDodge.esp=1
FollowerRedesign.esp=1
Dawnguard Delayed - Level 40.esp=1
Dragonborn Delayed - After Elder Knowledge.esp=1
Horse Storage.esp=1
Whistle.esp=1
essentialhousecarls.esp=1

Spoiler

It's got a few scripts- remove them or even try removing all BFTD mod data from the save with script cleaner.

You might get away with running LE mods in SSE if they are script only- BFTD has a few meshes and textures which may not render- haven't looked to see what else is in the esp.

On 2018-04-01 at 3:16 PM, scbfromnc said:

i was outside High Hrothgar heading down the steps.  I tried several other saves from different outside locations and couldn't fast travel from any of them.  First time this has happened to me.  I've had no problems with fast travel on other games.  So it's not normal behavior.  But it works fine now from this game since I used the console to fast travel that first time.  Not a big deal now.  Just a bit frustrating trying to figure out what was wrong.

Could you run?

If so then you probably have a corrupt gamesave, otherwise it doesn't make sense unless there is a mod preventing you from fast travel from High Hrothgar or there were at least one enemy too close.

If you've been using console commands (like "moveto" or "coc") then chances are your game save is corrupted and could be the reason why you're getting this problem. I've never been unable to fast travel except in areas where you aren't supposed to or when an enemy is nearby.

@Leonardo:  Well I've left High Hrothgar and don't have a save from there, but I can run down at Whiterun.  I don't understand the reference to running and corrupt game.  There was no enemy close by nor was I overloaded.  In fact, I've tried fast traveling from several save games/locations and can't fast travel unless I first use the teleport command I described above.

@BlackPete:  The only console command I've used is to change the time scale.  Although I used the moveto command to test whether that would resolve the fast travel issue, I didn't save after that based on Imstearn's warning.  So I'm still unable to fast travel. 

I've got over 1100 hours in Skyrim/Skyrim SE, and have never experienced this issue before.  Because I've played this game so much (and TES VI is no where in sight), I've added quite a few new mods to this latest playthrough (Dawnguard Delayed, Dragonborn Delayed, Encounter Zones Redone, Essential Housecarls, Horse Storage and Whistle, Immersive Citizens, MorrowLoot, Survival Patch) plus Survival mode.  I'm planning to start a new game with limited mods so I can test whether BFT or another mod is causing this issue.  All comments thus far are appreciated and any further suggestions are also welcome.

OK, I'm an idiot.  I started a new game and disabled BFT and all the new mods.  Turns out that it's not a problem with any of my mods -- it's Survival mode that disables fast travel.  If I don't enable Survival mode, then I can fast travel.  I thought I had looked up the description before, but now I see that the description on Bethesda.net clearly says that fast travel is disabled.  Strange thing, however, is that if I enable Survival mode as soon as I exit the Helgen cave when the pop-up asks, then fast travel is disabled (even if I disable Survival mode later).  If I say no to that pop-up and enable Survival mode later, I can still fast travel while in Survival mode.  So I guess there is a bug in that esl file.  Note that no console commands were used in this test.

Sorry for all the confusion.

4 hours ago, scbfromnc said:

Strange thing, however, is that if I enable Survival mode as soon as I exit the Helgen cave when the pop-up asks, then fast travel is disabled (even if I disable Survival mode later).  If I say no to that pop-up and enable Survival mode later, I can still fast travel while in Survival mode.  So I guess there is a bug in that esl file. 

Insteresting observation you made.  You should post about it on Bethesda.net.

As for using a gamesave.  Did you deleted all gamesaves?

If you didn't then you can always try the Autosave gamesave.  I always do that when my gamesave (normal) is corrupt and often it helps.

I have the Helgen exit game save from this restart, but not from the game I posted about in my original post at top.  I'm level 25 in that game, so am resuming it.  I don't believe I've done anything to corrupt that game, so will resume it.  I restarted only as a test to understand what was going on.  I still have those restart saves, and will discard after a few days.  Good suggestion to report on Bethesda.net -- though, I will be surprised if Bethesda reads and does anything about it.