un-improveable Ancient Shrouded armour

psychosaiyan

While playing through Special Edition I've come across a bug, and it seems that others are experiencing it as well.
The Ancient Shrouded Armour set, can't be upgraded at a workbench EVEN WITH if you own the Arcane Blacksmith perk and required items. It states "you lack the perk to improve magical items"

Cause: It seems that there's some issues trying to upgrade/improve the Armour set, when one has made a skill "Legendary" whether or not it was the Smithing skill or any other skill that was made legendary.

Note: Improving other enchanted items still works. e.g. Improving Thief's Guild Armour at a workbench is possible. just not the Ancient Shrouded Armour. As seen in the picture, the thief's guild armour confirms the acquisition of the Arcane Blacksmith perk. 

P.S. I posted this on the nexus forums as well, and I can't seem to be to use the link provided on USSEP nexus page. So do tell me what to do if this is posted in the wrong place.

ScreenShot0.png

Are you using mods?

If so, have you tried to reproduce the issue in plain vanilla without using USSEP?

UPDATE 1:
with all mods disabled, the bug still occurs. Futhermore I've tried getting 100 in the smithing skill and getting all of the smithing perks, which resulted in the same.

side note: I've semi-tested this in Skyrim LE, with the bug not being present, meaning I was able to upgrade/improve the Ancient Shrouded armour at a workbench, HOWEVER I didn't have any legendary skills in LE

Edited by psychosaiyan
forgot to state some things

UPDATE 2:

The bug seems to only appear in Skyrim Special Edition. I've tested this by trying to upgrade/improve the set in Skyrim LE with and without making a skill legendary. The result being, that I was able to upgrade/improve the armour set with AND without making a skill Legendary. I even made the smithing skill legendary just to see if anything would change. 

2 hours ago, psychosaiyan said:

with all mods disabled, the bug still occurs. Futhermore I've tried getting 100 in the smithing skill and getting all of the smithing perks, which resulted in the same.

That doesn't confirm an issue, instead you need to test this in plain vanilla from scratch and the reason for that is this.

Maybe @alt3rn1ty can test this since he tested this bug and was able to reproduce it.

UPDATE 3:

Once I again I did some testing, this time around I completely removed any mods installed and started new character (fresh from Helgen) to see if the bug still occurs. And sadly, it still. As in the picture, I have both the required item and the perk needed to upgrade/improve the armour, but it still wouldn't allow me. I also fetched a a Thief's guild armour(which is an enchanted piece of equipment) as a control item(to show that I indeed does have the Arcane Blacksmith perk).

Note: I did the testing in Skyrim Special Edition ver. 1.5.23

ScreenShot1.png

The smithing skill in the picture is only 15 and that doesn't indicate anything about a bug.

How did you get the Ancient Shrouded Armor, was it via the console?

1 minute ago, Leonardo said:

The smithing skill in the picture is only 15 and that doesn't indicate anything about a bug.

How did you get the Ancient Shrouded Armor, was it via the console?

both the perk and items were acquired through console commands. I doubt that affects anything

Using the console will affect everything and should only be used when one need to advance a quest due for having an issue, so testing something like you just did will not confirm a bug.  If it is a bug that is.

Tell me. How would I test this? I don't see you anything in particular. Getting the shrouded armour and 60 smithibg itself takes a whole gameplay. And do note, I only used commands to see if my theory is true or not. The picture I posted is almost completely vanilla except SkyUI

Console commands might affect things, but isn't it strange how both the Thief's armour piece and Ancient shrouded piece were both fetched using commands, but the ancient shrouded armour piece is the only one refusing to be upgraded?

Any use of the console will affect gameplay in way or the other.

To answer your question.  Well, you need to play without using the console at all and without mods.

Doing that and be able to reproduce the issue is what's required to call it a bug, so if that has be done then the USKP team will fix it if it's possible of course.

In my vanilla playthrough making saves, I am on my way there, smithing is at level 58, and I have received the black hand message so will soon be doing quests to eventually get the armour (I know its a case of one quest has to be done before another is triggered, a bonus quest must be earned and the secret location will not unlock without the correct quest being started .. Dark Brotherhood questline is a favourite of mine). Will get there and test the issue myself aswell.

The Dark Brotherhood, you say?  I would say it's more like the Testing Brotherhood. :P

4 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

In my vanilla playthrough making saves, I am on my way there, smithing is at level 58, and I have received the black hand message so will soon be doing quests to eventually get the armour (I know its a case of one quest has to be done before another is triggered, a bonus quest must be earned and the secret location will not unlock without the correct quest being started .. Dark Brotherhood questline is a favourite of mine). Will get there and test the issue myself aswell.

I wish you luck on your journey. and thanks for testing. I wouldn't have any other means of testing differently myself.

Well the good news is the armour improves fine with an all Vanilla setup (no mods, no loose mesh replacers)

The following spoiler shows I can improve the armour without any skills being legendary in Skyrim SE - But I need clarification on how you make a skill legendary (I dont think I have ever done that, I have made items improvements to Legendary before, but the skill level Legendary .. Is that where the level of the skill goes back down to 15 and you have to build it up again, but this time around its uncapped? .. And so to reproduce your problem I need to make one of my skills (any) Legendary go back to level 15, and wait until that point before I try to improve the armour again (I will go back to a save before I took these screenshots to continue getting a Legendary skill, and then once more try to improve the armour after that has happened <<- Is that al correct ?))

huOkFcH.jpg

CCMkE60.jpg

G6skku3.jpg

3KncGAJ.jpg

8gBq0iB.jpg

After getting a skill to 100, you get the option to make it legendary(reset it) it'll return all of the skill points spent and reset the skill to 15. do to this. go to your skill that is level 100. thereafter hit "spacebar"

Comment: Hmmmm interesting... Maybe I'll grind out another char just to see if it's just my game. Because I made a brand new, fresh out of Helgen, character as well without any mods installed. Though I did use console commands for the items and perk hoping it won't affect anything major.

1 minute ago, psychosaiyan said:

After getting a skill to 100, you get the option to make it legendary(reset it) it'll return all of the skill points spent and reset the skill to 15. do to this. go to your skill that is level 100. thereafter hit "spacebar"

Ok good, so now I will take something like Blocking skill up to level 100, make it Legendary, then I will take the armour back to a workbench and see if I can still improve it.

I may be a while levelling up a skill to Legendary ..

2 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Ok good, so now I will take something like Blocking skill up to level 100, make it Legendary, then I will take the armour back to a workbench and see if I can still improve it.

I may be a while levelling up a skill to Legendary ..

I think the OP still mean the Smithing skill after you made it Legendary.

So get it up to the required level for the armor then try to improve it in the workbench.  Should you not being able to improve the armor despite for the Smithing skill being Legendary then it is a bug.

No, just any skill. My reason for this is, I read in some other posts, that some people having legendaried their smithing skill no longer could improve the ancient shrouded armour.

In my case, I had the conjuring skill legendaried.

This would be an expected result if the skill is reset via the Legendary feature. The perks needed to do the work on the armor will have been removed.

24 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

This would be an expected result if the skill is reset via the Legendary feature. The perks needed to do the work on the armor will have been removed.

So as per my test post, if I :

1. Keep my Smithing skill exactly as it is now, and go back to a save prior to improving the armour (so that it has not been improved yet)

2. Level up my blocking skill to Legendary

3. Make the blocking skill Legendary

4. Then try to improve the armour with my Smithing skill

You are saying that the expected result is for the smithing skill no longer to work properly ?

Because that is what the OP says, no matter what skill you make Legendary, they all affect your smithing ability to improve this particular armour afterwards .. Which is just wrong really, and what I am trying to prove with my vanilla play through that the OP has indeed found a bug, because making any other skill Legendary should not affect your smithing of this armour.

13 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

The following spoiler shows I can improve the armour without any skills being legendary in Skyrim SE

Reveal hidden contents

huOkFcH.jpg

CCMkE60.jpg

G6skku3.jpg

3KncGAJ.jpg

8gBq0iB.jpg

37 minutes ago, psychosaiyan said:

Btw.. i'm talking aboit Skyrim Special Edition

Thats what I am using  :construction:

UPDATE: So I wanted to test one final thing. I reloaded a save file where I haven't destroyed the Dark Brotherhood, and did all the quest up to Breaching Security. Completed the quest and received my token.

So I wanted to test, if by any chance the Ancient Shrouded armour set was quest locked, I got my set through the Ritual Stone method. So I got my token, I went to whiterun in search for the fortune lady, got the quest, went back to Hag's End. Of course the body of the Assassin of Old wasn't there, so I console command spawned one, killed him and took his set. Thereafter I went back to a workbench and...... VOILA!! I am now able to upgrade/improve the set.

Comment 1: for people wanting to roast me yeah yeah.. I should've gotten the set the manual way... But I just can't stand the dark brother and Astrid GRRRRRR

Comment 2: Still, it is quite odd.. Because I went back to my original Skyrim LE save file (where I had destroyed the Dark Brotherhood) grabbed a Ancient Shrouded armour set via the console commands and oddly enough I was completely able to upgrade/improve the set without having it unlocked. Yes, I know that LE and SE are different. But I also remember reading somewhere that Bethesda didn't bother correcting any mistakes, bugs or glitches that was in LE to SE.

Comment 3: some people do in fact experience a phenomenon of not being able to upgrade/improve the set after having a skill legendaried, but whether or not they got the set from the method I did, I do not know.

Finally: Sorry and thanks for those who read and tried to help me solve a... not really a problem in first place.. was it?

Note: I still find my "Comment 3" odd. Which leads me to another question: "why wasn't the Thief's Guild armor affected?". So either I did something other than doing the Dark Brotherhood quests which let me upgrade/improve, or some Armour sets are just specifically upgrade/improve locked, until the player have unlocked them manually themselves