I got two Dawnbreaker during Meridia's Daedric quest

Leonardo

Here's the thing though:

Scriptname DA09PedestalScript extends ReferenceAlias  
	Event OnActivate(ObjectReference akActionRef)
    if akActionRef == Game.GetPlayer() && GetOwningQuest().GetStage() == 410
        GetOwningQuest().SetStage(450)

EndIf

EndEvent

That script makes it impossible for anyone BUT the player to activate it. There's no magic collision detection, Malkoran can't click it himself, neither can the shades, or any other NPCs. Only the player. In doing so it triggers the fragment in stage 450 that does nothing more than hand a copy of the sword to the player.

There's no way for the model to eject a copy of the sword since the sword does not even exist as a weapon object at all in the CK. Which is why getting one dislodged onto the ground can't be possible. It has to be getting generated some other way.

I'll check your save though, cause all I'm trying to figure out is what the origins of the phantom sword are. For reference, this is the model as it exists before you activate it: meshes\clutter\dawnbreakerpedestal\pedestal.nif Notice the sword is part of the static model, it does not exist as a separate entity and it's not a Havok enabled object in any way.

@alt3rn1ty I've poked and prodded this thing more times than I have the patience for at this point and I have yet to get a death reload to result in the sword laying on the ground anywhere. It hasn't made one lick of difference where I stand, what Malkorn or I do, or how many times I let it death reload before killing them all. The sword simply never ends up on the ground anywhere. Which is of course precisely what I'd expect based on the CK data telling me flat out there is no sword available for this to happen with.

You don't happen to have a save after the duplicate appears but before you picked it up, do you?

Nevermind, I figured it out. There's an alias they originally set up to generate the sword, which ends up under the floor at Malkoran's feet. It's there the whole time. No need for death reloads or anything like that. It would just take a large enough force in just the right spot to send Havok into enough of a fit to dislodge it. It wasn't showing up in any other checks except for being a property in DA09 somewhere and I only happened to notice the alias when looking for other scripts and realizes that one was for the sword itself.

That makes it much easier to fix since all we need to do is disable the bad alias.

Literally all I had to do was load your save and send the free camera in for a look.

ScreenShot2.png

:) So one way or another havoc could unearth it with an area of effect spell either from the player or from Malkoran. The spell just needed to be closer to where the sword was, and probably why attacking Malkoran first in my case and triggering him to use his area of effect spells could get it up on the floor, because that location is pretty much where he stands to start with where I hit him with my first arrow to kick off the fight, if he then reacts with an area of effect spell .. Its up on the floor before I get there, which is pretty much what happened for me without using my own area of effect spells.

Well, glad the mystery is now solved anyway. One less annoying bug. Nice one Arthmoor.

2 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

area of effect spell either from the player or from Malkoran

When I played this I heard a distinctive sound and that is, what I think it is, from a *protection* spell.  You know, the same sound one hear when coming too close to spellcasting bandits or Forsworns.

I didn't like to be able to get two unique artifacts, so I'm glad too that Arthmoor could figure it out how.  Of course, thanks to @alt3rn1ty and his testing. :)

• 1 month later...

I had this happen to me as well, and read this thread through, you guys are amazing for how far you went to catch this and actually fixing it.

Here's something else that happened to me: I had to fight TWO Malkorans. That's right, and I got the notice advancing the quest when I killed the first one, and all of the shades, but still had the second one "farting" area spells "in my general direction", just as bad as its "predecessor". And you betcha, I killed it as well. With arrows.

Sure enough, I did find the second Dawnbreaker on the floor.