Modders: How do you feel about people merging, deriving, or cloning your mods?

fireundubh

In the Kingdom Come Nexus, it seems my mods are frequent targets of people wanting permission to merge, derive, or clone them—and upload them as wholly separate mods.

I feel that merged, derived, and cloned mods detract from the source mods, so I don't support this at all and do not grant permission. Am I wrong?

Nope. You're not wrong. If you don't want your mods incorporated into other peoples' "mod packs" you have every right to deny that and Nexus should respect that decision.

I don't let that be done with my Skyrim or Oblivion mods either.

I concur to what Arthmoor said and check my sig for my mod of both SLE and SSE, which basically has exactly the same readme for both game versions, aside for links and TES5Edit vs SSEEdit. 

People need to obtain my permission before doing the following.

Permission

DO NOT upload this mod to any site without my permission.

NO porting to other games, inlcuding to any mod for other TES (Morrowind, Oblivion or later) games.
NO commercial purposes whatsoever!

Always, ask for my permission for...

Translation
Mod compilations
Mod Merging, if another mod is released with this mod integrated in it

Mod Mirroring
Conversion for consoles

If I am no longer around in the community then the stewardship for this mod belongs to these sites:

AFK Mods

Its your prerogative what permissions you give your mods, and everyone should respect that you share them on your terms, not someone elses idea of how it should be. Nexus staff are pretty good at backing you up, CRCs, modified dates and upload dates can all be handy to prove what has occurred.

• 1 year later...

Nexus Mod Packs might be a thing one day- is it possible, with permissions provided, the unofficial patches may end up in one?

Edited by Arthmoor
Corrected URL format

No. The unofficial patch is the only one where the prohibition is explicitly stated. Inclusions into mod packs is not allowed.

Technically one does not need to specify this either because inclusion into a mod pack is a violation of copyright without the author's permission. It remains to be seen whether or not Nexus intends to properly honor copyright law here.

They are sure to.

To do it properly, mod packs will want comprehensive testing, not just internally but against other mod packs. One can expect mod pack stickies to the effect:

Do not install such & such mods/ range of mods/ such & such mod manager or program...

Versioning of individual mods (as well as the game) will be also give the mod packers plenty of work. It's difficult to see how upgrading (or even downgrading) mod packs will be squeaky clean.

Compatibility with unofficial patches would want to be fully documented as well.

Making any kind of static list or collection or whatever of mods is and always has been a terrible idea because the individual components get updated often. Those updates may be as simple as a bug fix or as complex as a whole new set of story data or something. Updates that sometimes can't be done because of how poorly some mod authors design things. This is all a disaster waiting to happen.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:54 PM, Arthmoor said:

Making any kind of static list or collection or whatever of mods is and always has been a terrible idea because the individual components get updated often.

Or the original author had withdrawn permission for a mod(s) and MSGO have changed over the years due to changed mod permissions.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:54 PM, Arthmoor said:

Those updates may be as simple as a bug fix or as complex as a whole new set of story data or something. Updates that sometimes can't be done because of how poorly some mod authors design things. This is all a disaster waiting to happen.

Have a look what one needs to do in order to make MSGO (the list of bug fixes is at the end in the OP) stable and playable.