Chain Link Fences

scbfromnc

I've always wondered why there's not an option to build chain link fences and have been unable to find a mod for it until recently. Wasteland Workshop Evolved was released early last year that includes those as well as a lot of other things (rugs, containers, beds, etc) that I'm not interested in. Since I already have enough trouble finding build items in the workshop because it's not well organized, I didn't want that other stuff and used FO4Edit to go through the mod line by line and delete anything that wasn't chain link fence related. I never loaded the game with the original mod. After my edits, I booted up and I had chain link fences and it worked perfectly. I was really pleased with myself and made a save. Then I thought, why not change the name of the esp to something more descriptive instead of the original name. So I exited from the game, made my name change and rebooted. With only a name change the mod had a problem in that the previews of the chain link fence items were invisible. They're still there and I can build with them, but I have to rely on the word description for what I'm building. So I reverted back to the original author name and it's now functioning normally, including able to see a preview of the items.

Can anyone explain what's going on? One thing that appealed to me about this mod is that it contains no scripts.

There's data from WWE that's baked into the save. With Hadoram's save/script cleaner for Skyrim you could delete all data relating to a particular mod. Don't know if this is possible with Fallrim Tools, but it might have a rename facility. Have save game backups before using these things, just in case things don't work out.

Recommend doing all this before activating (and saving with) the new version of the mod.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have heard of the baked in the save issue, but thought it wouldn't matter since it was exactly the same file -- just a name change to the esp.  And since it's the same file, why would previews disappear with the renamed esp? 

I'll probably leave it set us as is with the original esp name (WWE.esp), but I'm just interested in understanding why the previews disappeared.