Please optimize background image; it's 4.5M!

fireundubh

Doesn't the browser cache it? You could put a lock on or change permissions on the cached file.

Here's a smaller version. Reducing the bit depth might take out more with more size reduction.

Woah, he's right, it's 4.5 megs.  That's crazy!

Here's a version that uses JPG compression, chroma quartered, and 85% quality - it comes out to 350KB, which is a much more reasonable size for a background image.  I don't see any obvious aliasing when viewing it at 1:1.

y5LJz.jpg

20 hours ago, lmstearn said:

Doesn't the browser cache it? You could put a lock on or change permissions on the cached file.

My client-side solution was to block the image in uBlock, which blocks the request and the image.

2017.... complaining about image file sizes on the web :troll:

Anyway, it's taken care of. I also converted the other 3 backgrounds nobody ever chooses and they're smaller now too.

7 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I also converted the other 3 backgrounds nobody ever chooses and they're smaller now too.

I use the third one from the left since the dragon image (default) are too bright for me.

I see a clear improvement in the speed at which the background now loads. I remember complaining about it before.

I used one of the background options in the past, but with the new style i prefer the Parthuurnax image

edit: whoah, the scrolling issue is also fixed. Not sure that is related with the image size. could be a fix for Edge in the latest Windows update.

On 10/25/2017 at 3:44 PM, VaultDuke said:

edit: whoah, the scrolling issue is also fixed. Not sure that is related with the image size. could be a fix for Edge in the latest Windows update.

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one having that! When I scroll down quickly, such as to get to the bottom of a long list of posts, most of the screen blacks out or flickers, and takes a second or three to catch up. I thought it was my recent Firefox update or my update to the Win10 Fall Creators release, which happened to coincide. I still have the issue, but maybe that's because it's still using the cached image. I'll flush the cache & try again. Thanks for optimizing Arthmoor!

Edit: Yep, no more flickering. Loving the forest image, third from the left! (Oh, and the pumpkin AFK logo.) :D

3 hours ago, RavenMind said:

Loving the forest image, third from the left!

That's the one I use and it is nice don't you think. :)

Although, the second one is equal good to the third one.

Edited by Leonardo

Yes, I like them both. I think I might have to change back to the horker though. The two nice forest ones cause the white text to show up very brightly against the black background, and I have an eye issue that causes migraines & vomiting when I look at white on black for too long. :(

@Leo: Yep I had to change it back. :( About a minute after I posted I got striped horizontal lines in my vision and started to feel sick. Blech, stupid eyes. Don't feel bad, it took me a while before I spotted the horker. Then again...eyes.. lol

@Anybody (prob Arthmoor):  I've never understood the horker stuff, e.g., the logo, background, Arthmoor's title, etc. Is it an inside joke or a meme I'm unaware of?

And since I'm showing my 'n00bness', I might as well ask something I've been curious about for some time. Where does "AFK" in AFKMods come from? All I'm aware of is the acronym 'away from keyboard', and the cool Oblivion mod titled AFK Weye.

2 hours ago, RavenMind said:

@Anybody (prob Arthmoor):  I've never understood the horker stuff, e.g., the logo, background, Arthmoor's title, etc. Is it an inside joke or a meme I'm unaware of?

I think this is the reason for the Horker theme here at AFK Mods. :teehee:

• 2 weeks later...

@Arthmoor I see the "Default" theme is now an option to enable. It's fugly, but I can read again without having to Ctrl-A to select all the text. Don't know if this was intentional, but, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!! :D

The IPB default theme has always been available, but we pay no attention to it because it's ugly as hell. It's just there in case something breaks badly :P

Really? I could swear it wasn't an option when I've looked at it before. Oh well, at least I can read for longer. You're right about it being ugly as hell, though. lol