Fixes Recommended in Addition to the USSEP

Arthmoor

I saw in the full ussep theres alot of different mannequin changes and the lumber mill squares are fixed. But what about the orange doors and blue display cases? I always play with the aforementioned 2 and just want more space.

@Andreaskhic : this is a XB1 specific issue. I designed this to 'cover' the visual glitch. It has undesired side effects (although not game breaking) and is more a 'hack' to lure the XB1 rendering engine than any other thing, so it is improper to include it in USSEP (and is designed to hide a problem that doesn't exist on the PC game). So yes, if you're playing on console and don't mind about the described side-effects then you still need it.

• Like 1

@Nico coiN any thoughts on mannequin stay put as well? And yes ive been using that since day one, never cared for displaying just cant have awkard colors and crazy mannequins. In short i love your mod lol

Mannequins only wander when there are bad navmeshes. USSEP corrected all of those cases in the base game and DLCs. It's up to other mods to correctly navemesh their locations where mannequins are used.

• Like 1

Busy sending aers a couple of SKSE64 minidumps now for SSE Engine Fixes, there is one location where you can get a very reproducable crash with the new memory settings enabled: Winterhold.

Don't know what is in that area that the application doesn't like but whatever it is... it's bad. The area usually crashes within 20 seconds after you travel there, sometimes even on load. He tried coc to the area himself and got the same result.

Edit: Just got an update from aers: " Holy s*** its a bug in the vanilla game renderer that BY COMPLETE CHANCE doesnt crash when you use the game's default allocation system. It instead does buggy unknown behavior. The change in allocation with the memory patch exposes the bug. "

Edit2: More info: " Trying to track it down. Its related to snow lighting rendering. There might be a broken nif in the game or something. "

Edit3: Fix on the way: " SSE added a new snow sparkle system. They f***ed up the implementation. I have a temporary fix for the crash I'll push it out when I have time. "

:) Nice catch Drizzan .. And now the Snow Sparkle fix is included.

@Hana is there anything can be done on the meshes side of this problem?, here's the new description Aers has put on the SSE Engine Fixes description ..

"

1. Snow Sparkle - The snow sparkle effect is improperly processed on meshes that don't have proper snow sparkle settings, leading to undefined behavior (vanilla SSE) and CTDs (with memory patch)

"

I guess tracking the meshes down would be the problem

aers wrote alot of info about the bug on github:

Snow Sparkles

"There are objects whose material shaders are treated as snow shaders even though they aren't flagged as such in the appropriate .nifs. Either the loader or some other part of the game doesn't properly account for this (not fully researched), so you end up with BSLightingShaderMaterial objects where the game expects there to be BSLightingShaderMaterialSnow objects. This causes the BSLightingShader::SetupMaterial case for snow objects to read out of bounds memory. Due to vanilla Skyrim's memory allocation patterns, this won't usually cause a crash, but instead causes the sparkle parameters to be populated with invalid/unknown data. When using the memory manager patch, it can and will cause CTDs due to out of bounds memory reads instead. The fix checks the objects to verify they are the appropriate type; if they are incorrect, it sets the sparkle params to the default values that are present in the BSLightingShaderMaterialSnow constructor (1.0f for all four) instead of trying to read them. "

That sounds like something that needs to be forwarded as a bug report to Bethesda since SSE is getting regular updates. Bad memory allocation can lead to corrupted data over time.

I sent a bug report to Bethesda, wrote as good as I could, attached my crashdump and copypasted aers description of the issue and also linked to his fix at github, hopefully that is enough.

Here we go again.

100% reproducable crash with memory fixes on in Blackreach, the game crashes everytime on load when entering this area.

Something very bad is going on here, memory errors again and it isn't pretty. Aers is working on it.

I gave the mod a try last night and just going from interior to exterior would freeze the game for 5-10 seconds before releasing control back to me. Without it, everything runs smooth as butter. I can appreciate what he's trying to do but I suspect he's not got a solid handle on exactly where to do it or how to do so safely.

Yeah some other people mentioned getting freezes aswell so the plugin is basically YMMV for each machine. Aers says so in the readme aswell.

The game does crash or hard freeze for me randomly without the memory patch so I'm very willing to give it a try and so far it's working great except in these problem areas where the vanilla malloc are able to bypass memory errors for some reason, which is probably a bad thing on the whole.

Edit: "Shader Particle Geometry forms with Particle Density > 12 (Weather effects in Blackreach, Sovngarde, one of Slow Time particle effects) are broken in the vanilla game and does not show properly because the shader is getting garbage data."

I find with its default setup, and only turning on the Tree Reflection fix (not using ENB here), the game runs as smooth as ever

I tried the Memory Manager, the game started using a ton of memory circa 12gb, and was still running smooth - I think (without having done any monitoring to compare) the game probably runs a little more efficiently with that on, but nothing humanly perceptable. Since the discovery that there is something wrong with the games memory management, we await to see what Aers can do to help that and stop the game running away with more memory usage .. Until then I am not using it constantly and really have no need because for me it makes no perceptible difference.

The Mutex fix BSReadWriteLock, I have not tried yet at all .. But I think I ought to, seems using that mode is helping uncover issues in the game that otherwise we would not find out about (Snow sparkle and Blackreach)

Since the newer version was produced I have not had the CTD related to Waterflow experiments again, and can not reproduce it.

Anyway, 2.3 is up, and the Mutex fix plus Memory Manager is getting turned on for me :) ..

New version has a temporary fix that clamps Shader Particle Geometry forms to Particle Density 10. Densities above that don't actually work in the game engine anyway. Exploring ways to allow particle densities up to 100 (this is the highest a vanilla game form has by default). Currently the engine doesn't actually render particle densities that high anyway; this also applies to LE and means technically the few weathers affected have never been displaying "properly" in either game, although I doubt the devs actually intended 100 to be a proper value...

Version 2.3.1.5.39

• add a patch to save mod-added volume menu sound categories to an external ini file, allowing volume settings to be preserved
  • add a temporary fix for a vanilla bug with ShaderParticleGeometry ParticleDensity >10
  • patch scrapheap in memory manager patch
  • add a temporary patch that applies if skee64 is detected, which fixes the XPMSSE4.3/Racemenu/skee64 crash

It is the memory manager that makes it possible to find the memory bugs afaik, I do have both the memory manager and the mutex fix on though personally.

The default memory allocation seems to ignore memory errors and let the shader use them anyways, which will not work and could possibly lead to all kinds of problems later on. If you use the memory manager that uses jemalloc it just says "Nope!" and kills the application as soon as the shaders are reading incorrect/invalid data. Personally I much prefer the application to be killed as soon as there are problems because that means the problems can be reproduced and later on fixed and patched.

Also the problem with the game using tons of memory with the memory manager was fixed earlier, the game shouldn't use 10GB+ of RAM anymore with the latest version.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 12:32 PM, drizzan said:

Also the problem with the game using tons of memory with the memory manager was fixed earlier, the game shouldn't use 10GB+ of RAM anymore with the latest version.

:beer: Yep, since then I am finding on average the game is only using around 2.8gb system ram, and so far running through the whole of Skyrim using the Memory Manager is not highlighting any more bugs in the game itself.

Skyrim SE has always been very stable and smooth for me (never having any great amount of mods installed), but I am appreciating all the little things it does, and the fixes which have uncovered game engine issues we would probably have never known about, overall I think its marvellous.

I am now permanently running around with Mutex fix and the Memory Manager on, and enabling Tree LOD Reflections (I dont use enb)

Love the new Orphaned SKSE Co-Save Cleaner ..

• Version 2.8.1.5.39

• fix TAA-related quicksave & save screenshot bugs for hopefully good. no side effects anymore
    • add skse64 orphaned cosave cleaner, will auto delete orphaned cosaves on launch
  • Version 2.7.1.5.39

• change save screenshot patch, disable both by default
    • add debug mode for stdio
  • Version 2.6.1.5.39

• add alternate patch for save game screenshots
    • separate save game screenshots and quicksave delay patches
    • add "disable quicksave" feature from LE skse plugin of the same name
  • Version 2.5.1.5.39

• add patch for quicksaving + game screenshots when ingame TAA/DOF disabled
    • please read main page for info on this fix
  • Version 2.4.1.5.39

• add a patch to set max stdio file handles to 2048 instead of system default 512; this should fix the false save corruption bug in 99.9% of use cases
    • add racemenu precache killer from LE. this is disabled by default as most users shouldn't need it
  • Version 2.3.1.5.39

• add a patch to save mod-added volume menu sound categories to an external ini file, allowing volume settings to be preserved
    • add a temporary fix for a vanilla bug with ShaderParticleGeometry ParticleDensity >10
    • patch scrapheap in memory manager patch
    • add a temporary patch that applies if skee64 is detected, which fixes the XPMSSE4.3/Racemenu/skee64 crash
  • Version 2.2.1.5.39

• fix memory allocation issue. memory manager patch should be "stable" now, but again, there is little point in using it unless you are having infinite loading screen issues, or just want to test it on your hardware
  • Version 2.1.1.5.39

• add a fix for a snow sparkle bug. this also fixes a CTD with the memory patch when in areas with snow meshes
  • Version 2.0.1.5.39

• use TBB for caching data structures instead
    • add skse64 preloader & support it with plugin
    • add memory manager patch ("use OS allocators"), which requires the preloader
  • Version 1.1.1.5.39

• Force disable form cache fix if SSE fixes is detected, since people aren't removing SSE fixes properly and breaking their games.
  • Version 1.0.1.5.39

• Initial release for SSE 1.5.39

Indeed the removal of the .skse co-saves is nice, Personally I got rid of that problem by using Named Quicksaves: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16840

This mod allows me to setup rotating Quicksaves that cycle through a set number you choose, so after that number has passed the quicksaves overwrite each other (I have 5 quicksaves personally) and as a bonus the .skse co-save was overwritten aswell with that mod.

Having just one quicksave is kind of putting all eggs in one basket, atleast for me since I use quicksave frequently but I'm pretty bad at putting up manual saves.

It has minor issues with the screenshot and location name not matching the picture you see before you load the game, but other than that it doesn't affect the actual save. It has to do with the names of the saves which basically cannot be solved in a good way without losing the cycling feature.

Is there a problem with this port of Hearthfire Displays Fix? Since it's recommended for oldrim but not sse.

There's also a mod that claims to fix the enchantment reload price bug. Has other stuff but there's a standalone file for it as well. Might be worth testing, I'm not really qualified.

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2018 at 9:51 PM, alt3rn1ty said:

Love the new Orphaned SKSE Co-Save Cleaner ..

I think the SKSE team should fix that by adding cdcooley's script he posted here.

• 2 weeks later...

I debated with myself and finally decided to post this here...

Issue # 21261 Mead Barrels have only 1 bottle of mead

My Mead Barrel Fix mod 'fixes' this. All I did was create the missing leveled lists - allowing regular mead barrels to have similar quantities to those of Honningbrew and Black-Briar (1 to 10 bottles)

The doubled version doubles the possible number of bottles to 20. Just because!

..... and yes debates with myself take nearly 2 years to complete :)

18 hours ago, jbrianj said:

Any reason why Modern Brawl Bug Fix by EnaiSiaion isn't on the list?

The only reason I see is about the scripts the mod has and should any of those scripts be included in the USSEP then all fixes in the USSEP will be canceled, because loose scripts will always win over scripts in a BSA.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:30 AM, Leonardo said:

The only reason I see is about the scripts the mod has and should any of those scripts be included in the USSEP then all fixes in the USSEP will be canceled, because loose scripts will always win over scripts in a BSA.

I remember the old one being on Oldrims list, but that didn't fix every case of the bug and could cause terrible script load: "Most people are familiar with the popular Brawl Bugs Patch. Unfortunately, it is several years old and some users are still suffering from the brawl bug anyway due to several errors in its implementation. It also has the potential to generate significant script load. Because its permissions do not allow redistribution, I made an improved fix from scratch." 

It can easily be checked if there's any conflict with the scripts. It's not a very big bug because if the bug does trigger, you can always just reload a save and try again. Plus it usually only triggers if you're doing stuff besides just spamming attack.

• 10 months later...