All Legends Eventually End

Arthmoor

I'm sure I don't need to tell people here just how much I support the move to SSE and how forcefully I've advocated for it over the last year or so. That sweet sweet 64 bit stability. Who could resist? Most folks though, myself included, have stated that no serious gains will be made until SKSE64 and SkyUI make the jump. Well, now they have, and it's time for the Legendary Edition to die.

Up until now I have been doing parallel development on all of my mods, making changes and fixing bugs in both the LE and SSE versions. Beginning in 2018, this will no longer be the case. I will cease all development work on all of my mods for LE as of January 1, 2018. I view SSE as the only viable way forward for Skyrim after that point and expect that SKSE64 and SkyUI will both have been vetted enough to be considered safe by then. Already it's leading to more and more people finally jumping to SSE so I don't see any further reason to continue supporting an aging 32 bit platform that's grown more and more unstable as time goes by, requiring more and more dumb hacks with DLL injectors to keep it alive. There's more and more larger scale new content coming and LE just can't handle the load now. Any projects I have which were already started for LE will be brought to completion. Right now, that's 2 village mods. When they see the light of day, who knows, but they will. No new work will begin in LE as of right now though.

As for the unofficial patch, the team will need to have a discussion on this as continuing to support USLEEP alongside USSEP is going to become problematic soon enough. It's already caused a few mistakes to be made because of parallel work and IMO I don't think we should be continuing to support an obsolete platform indefinitely. That's a matter that's yet to be discussed though so USLEEP will be the exception in this case and support will continue into 2018 unless we decide otherwise, at which point an official statement on that will be made in the project forum.

So yeah. I figured I'd make sure people knew not to expect further updates for any of my LE mods in the near future. All the dominoes people stood up to make excuses for not switching are now falling one by one, and userbase numbers are on the rise at LE's expense. The time has come.

• Like 2

Whether anyone agrees or not - I for one completely support the decision

You have one hell of a juggling act going on which would probably have many pulling their hair out.

Many thanks for all the work you have dedicated to these projects Arthmoor, and everyone else involved on a full time / no pay basis.

LE is mostly done to death now anyway I would imagine. Its certainly had the shit kicked out of its most annoying problems the community could hope to have resolved, plus a thousand and one other minor issues most folk dont even notice until they are pointed out.

I don't have a problem with you dropping the support for your LE mods now that two of the biggest road blocks for SE migration are gone. They were both showstoppers for me, I couldn't imagine playing without them, and I'm sure many others felt the same way. Still, I'm sure that there will be some people objecting to your decision, loudly. Just ignore them and move on :)

Like everyone else so far that has commented I'll be 100% behind Arthmoor discontinuing support for all of his LE mods.

The same goes for USLEEP; I'd be all for making the transition to dropping support at or around the beginning of 2018 due to same reasons already outlined by the above posts. Yes, I realize that it's a community project, but it's time or soon will be (in my personal opinion) especially now that SKSE64 is a thing.

I want to thank you and every else for the great effort you have put into the unofficial patch. Unlike most I will continue to play the legendary version, but I reckon most of the bugs have been patched already.

I have reasons to stay on the Legendary side.

As a player, first : ENB will never be as sophisticated in SE as it is in LE, and Skyrim without any ENB preset is quite pale and has no real visual relief...

As a modder, next : most of my creations were incorporated in USLEEP/USSEP. Even if I'm much less available I will probably achieve some other mesh fixes. The problem is that I have absolutely no tool to import meshes in SE format in 3DS. So, basically, if USSEP fixes a mesh and I have to work on it even more, then I have no other choice than restarting from the very beginning, and from the LE mesh... :(

@Hana  could comment for sure but I'm pretty sure I watched a lengthy discussion on Discord about the current state of Blender and Dwip's adventures in import/export with native SSE format. To the extent that it's apparently largely there and working right now. Why this isn't more well known is another matter.

I'm open to any solution, but I don't know how to use Blender. The best way for me would be a tool that could convert meshes back to LE format.

Unfortunately there are no tools capable of reversing the process from SSE back to LE. I was also mistaken on how Dwip was handling meshes for what he's been doing. They're being made in LE and ported forward with Nif Optimizer into SSE. So that doesn't really seem to have changed. Nif Optimizer doesn't really take much time to use properly so that's not a big deal.