Sharlikran

This is the continuation topic for Yacoby's Wrye Mash Fork and Wrye threads Thread4 and Thread5. New release announcements will be posted here and this will be the main place to discuss problems with Mash.

Manage Mod Files and Load List
* Select load mods from a list that can be sorted by: File Name, Modification date, Size, Mod Author, Load Order, Selection State and file type (Esm/Esp).
* Select mods by loads lists which you define. E.g., define a Bethesda Mods list, or an LGNPC or Astarsis Heads list.
* Hide rarely used mods. (Yes, there's an Unhide command too!)
* Delete and Duplicate Mods.
* Edit file name, modification date, author, description and master list.
* Automatically reset modification dates after file has been modified. (This substantially reduces doubling problems.)

Manage Save Games
* View a list of your save games sorted by: File Name, Save Name, Player Name, Current Cell, Load Status (see below).
* Delete, Duplicate and Hide Save Games.
* Edit file name, Save Name and master list.

Reduce/Eliminate Doubling
* See potential doubling before it happens. (Status boxes in save game and master lists.)
* Automatically reset modification dates.
* Update save game files to handle changes to the masters that it depends on and to the current load list.
* Repair References in existing files.

Browse Mod Documents
* Browse documents for all mods with the [[#| Doc Browser]].

Bash and Mash
Wrye Bash is the Oblivion version of Wrye Mash. While they have much of the same appearance and base functions, they tend to differ strongly in the special (right-click) functions. Generally speaking Bash is a bit more sophisticated and has some base features that have not been migrated back to Mash. OTOH, Mash is even more crucial for Morrowind than Bash is for Oblivion -- largely because of Mash's mod installation/removal features.

Mash is no longer being updated actively by Wrye, Melchor, or Yacoby, but I will be working on it to see what I can improve on.

Download: Wrye Mash
Wrye Musings: Wrye Musings
Readme: Wrye Mash Readme
Installation: Wrye Mash Installation

Note in particular that installation, while not hard, is not trivial. Just follow the directions and use your head, and you'll be fine.

TODO: Update all HTML documents as they are now outdated.

I see.  Sure, I'll test it and report back later as usual.  In the mean time I have one request and that's about the icons on the Mods tab.

You know, the Merged icon as a green plus sign " + " in WB, would it be possible to implement that into WMSA?

Just to tell the user which mod had a levelled list merged into the Mashed Lists.esp (also need to have the Merged icon in the Mods tab when activated) and AFAIK Wrye Mash users never had such a feature.

The first thing I notice was the merge levelled lists command and now I got this error, so it is broken in comparison to WMSA 87 which worked as intended.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mash\masher.pyo", line 5401, in Execute
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'LogFile'

I tried both ways; 1) extract the WMSA 88 archive on top of the WMSA 87 installation and overwritten all files when prompted vice versa,  2) deleted the Mopy folder and extracted both archives (WMSA 87 and WMSA 88) twice, one for each archive.

No matter what I do the merge levelled lists feature is broken in WMSA 88, but not in WMSA 87.

I also got an Unicode error when using this BSA tool to register a BSA for a mod, I mention here, at the same time I had WMSA open and below is the error I got, but without using WMSA then I have no Unicode error when using the BSA tool.

G:\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Mopy\mash.exe\mash\masher.py:1281: 
UnicodeWarning: Unicode unequal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

How do you do the first one, the leveled list command thing so I can test it? I don't have any mods installed, just the original 3 files DLC.

Same with the second, whats a simple example mod so I can test that one also.

Just copy the Mashed Lists.esp from the Mopy\Extras folder into the Data Files folder and as soon you launch WMSA you'll see the Mashed Lists.esp in the Mods tab.

Select it and right click then click on the Import >> Merged Lists command.  In the WMSA 87 you get a message saying that "No merging is necessary." or similar, while in WMSA 88 you don't see any message at all except for an error.

Better Balmora River

20 Books

Arthmoor's Morrowind Merchants

Ashlander Transports

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I always use Arthmoor's two Morrowind mods and cannot play without them, so why not you try to merge the levellled lists from these mods I listed.

Took 88 down and I'll test with the mods you gave me. Tomorrow I spend most of my day with my family but I'll work on things in the evening.  I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks for the mod suggestions.

@Leonardo I have Mlox 61 exe working just fine.  Here is how you fix this.

• First get 87 because it's not broken
  • Copy the Mopy folder for 87 to your Morrowind folder
  • Download the "mlox-exe - standalone executable for Windows-43001-0-61" file from the Nexus
  • Unzip that and it will have an mlox folder in it
  • copy the entire mlox folder to your Mopy folder
  • Now, in the mlox folder is the mlox.exe and in that mlox folder is a folder named "For users of Wrye Mash Standalone"
  • From the "For users of Wrye Mash Standalone" copy mlox.py to the Mopy\mlox folder and overwrite the old mlox.py file

Now when you run Wrye Mash it will detect mlox and you will be able to launch it and sort your mods from Wrye mash itself like you would expect.

Okay I copied the Mashed Lists.esp to the data folder and I copied tes3cmd.exe to the Date Files folder. I Can now use tes3cmd.exe from Wrye Mash since it's looking in the Data Files folder for it and the system path. however, I'd think it's best to put it in the Data Files folder.  Now, how do I make a Bash patch, or do you?  Do I rebuild the Mashed Lists.esp file?

I found this in the docs but I'm confused. You can only merge if the author is Wrye, and you delete something if you don't care, and then you select mods and choose import lists, and then you have to resequence them or something. How exactly do i do this?

The tes3cmd.exe must be extracted into the Data Files otherwise it won't work.

Yes, rebuilding the Mashed Lists.esp is the same as rebuilding the bashed patch for Oblivion/Skyrim.  Although, very simple and easy to do without having the same importance as the bashed patch.

You know, speaking of a bashed patch is something the people in the Morrowind modding community wish to see and importing the levelled lists into the Mashed Lists.esp is the closest thing one can get to a simplified bashed patch.

Yeah, I know but if I were you I wouldn't take that too serious since it's old and outdated, probably obsolete too.  The resequence process is already included in Wrye Mash mentioned in the Usage section.

If you have a copy of

Merged_Leveled_Lists.esp (produced by TesTool), then remove it from your load list. You won't need it anymore. Note too that you won't need to use the Leveled List Resquencer tool. The Import Merged List lists are already resequenced.

All I can say is that those things was valid when the Morrowind modding community didn't have powerful mod tools e.g LOOT, TESxEdit, Wrye Bash for various games at their disposal as most people today takes for granted.

EDIT:  I am not really awake since it's 11:00 AM, local time, and I woke up late today.  Anyway, yes I am aware of the work around for the integrated mlox in WMSA since it was I who test it and abot responded to my report.  That's why I favor a total removal of the ingrated mlox thing in WMSA due for not being user friendly in contrast to tes3cmd which are user friendly as much it can get.

I'm defiantly biting off more then I can chew but I would like to streamline how mlox and tes3cmd work with Wrye Mash.  I  already figured out how to remove some of Yacoby's workaround for the mlox functionality.  I should be able to make TesTool work also.  All from Mash. Now maybe at first I just make TesTool do something that doesn't require selecting 3 mods. For example maybe I won't understand how wxPython and the programming works to spit out a list of files for TesTool to process, but as long as I can do something and learn from it I should be able to figure it out.  I'm always going to get excited and think I can do something, run into an issue, and then have to start over. It just takes me more time is all.

Anyway, when you are more awake let me know what to do to reproduce the two errors.  I tried and I just can't figure it out.  Now that I started updating the unicode stuff now I am sort of forced to continue it because Wrye Mash can't compare a unicode string with a non-unicode string. If I can't cause Wrye Bash to move through the code to process something I won't be able to try and fix it.

Let start with the Unicode stuff and mlox definitely needs to be updated from ANSI to Unicode.  To my knowledge john.moonsugar never released an updated mlox code for the last 7-8 years probably longer and that's gonna be your main issue regarding any code written in wxPython ANSI vs wxPython Unicode.  When I tested the automatic mlox updater I notice what Yacoby actually did, which could explain why I couldn't use every option in mlox when excuting them in the Mods tab in WMSA.  He included the piece of the code of Python 2.5.x ANSI for mlox 0.57 into his WMSA fork.

So when I tested it with an updated mlox and to be more precise mlox 0.59 almost everything regarding the mlox stuff in Yacoby's WMSA stop working.  But as soon I copied the mlox.py from the mlox 0.57 suddenly it was working, not everything though.

Are you aware how old TesTool really is?

Although, sometimes TesTool is awesome while other times it can create more issues than actually solving an issue.

From I've heard other people say, TesTool are the only mod tool that can create a Merged Objects.esp and abot has lot of information about modding (MWEdit, tes3cmd, TesTool etc) on his website.

The way I see it you might need to look for the code in WB and back port it to WMSA or if you have the skill and knowledge of how to update the code for WMSA from the old wxPython ANSI code, from my understanding, written in Python 2.4 then updating the code to Python 2.5.x.  The latter often has the best result, but in this case I think it's waste of time instead do what you can do for the moment and that's to bring over the code in WB that applies for the Unicode stuff.

What do you think?  Is it possible and don't you worry of how long it would take I can wait?

I back ported what looked like it would work. Maybe a function that has the sole purpose of returning one thing. It could be that it went through one or 5 steps to get there but it simply returns one thing. Those I ported over.

An example of what I couldn't port is the installers tab. I believe with what I ported over, it gives me the ability to update the installers tab. The problem is understanding what to change.

The current version 88, that I took down isn't really broken. It just has enough changes that it's like saying it has 35% Unicode support and until I add the rest it can't do what it needs to.

Mlox 0.62 is using wxPython 3.x and the author is intending on updating to Python 3.0. So if he does, it will run as an exe still. If i want to keep Wrye Mash working with the Python code directly, I would have to upgrade Wrye Mash to Python 3.0. Which wouldn't be easy with my lack of knowledge of Python.

There really isn't any way to say if it's possible or not. Sure it's possible but how much do I have to go through or change to make it possible. Can I find enough documentation on wxPython 2.8 and then look for what 4.0 is using. Can I make the changes needed. Once I do update wxPython and it works is there enough to get Wrye Mash running in Python 3. If there is it might work as Python code until more is updated but not as an exe because I would have to learn how to make py2exe for Python 3.0 work.

So I think I need to stick to what I have been doing. Just duplicate each change Yacoby made. I'm not doing anything but duplicating his changes the way he already did them, but it gives me a chance to see what he did. It gives me a chance to see what's in the code. A chance to see what's been updated after Wrye or Melchor's changes. If I see something simple maybe I can update it as I go.

Wrye Mash is a much smaller code base so I'm hoping it will be easier to experiment with the Wrye Bash.

2 hours ago, Sharlikran said:

I back ported what looked like it would work. Maybe a function that has the sole purpose of returning one thing. It could be that it went through one or 5 steps to get there but it simply returns one thing. Those I ported over.

Sounds good to me.

An example of what I couldn't port is the installers tab. I believe with what I ported over, it gives me the ability to update the installers tab. The problem is understanding what to change.

Ah, from my understanding the Installers tab are very different from WB and I think it has to do when Wrye backported BAIN from WB to Wrye Mash since he could use the Installers folder, because Morrowind doesn't have the same bug (LHammonds copied Wrye's post over to Nexus Wiki) that Oblivion has.  So look for the code that has anything related to the Installers directory in the code and if you need some help with that then let me know and I can try to find it.

Perhaps this is even better way to know where and what to change.  Take the code for WB and anything that's related to the Installers tab then change that to the Installers directory I think.

The current version 88, that I took down isn't really broken. It just has enough changes that it's like saying it has 35% Unicode support and until I add the rest it can't do what it needs to.

I see.  I understand it takes time to convert old code to a new code, I mean from ANSI to Unicode plus make the code compatible with newer Python versions.

Mlox 0.62 is using wxPython 3.x and the author is intending on updating to Python 3.0. So if he does, it will run as an exe still. If i want to keep Wrye Mash working with the Python code directly, I would have to upgrade Wrye Mash to Python 3.0. Which wouldn't be easy with my lack of knowledge of Python.

There really isn't any way to say if it's possible or not. Sure it's possible but how much do I have to go through or change to make it possible. Can I find enough documentation on wxPython 2.8 and then look for what 4.0 is using. Can I make the changes needed. Once I do update wxPython and it works is there enough to get Wrye Mash running in Python 3. If there is it might work as Python code until more is updated but not as an exe because I would have to learn how to make py2exe for Python 3.0 work.

It does?  That was news to me.

Well you have already stated that you plan to update Wrye Mash to Python 2.7.8, so let stick with that and focus on to enhance the existing features in WMSA just to make Wrye Mash a little more powerful than it has been previously.

So I think I need to stick to what I have been doing. Just duplicate each change Yacoby made. I'm not doing anything but duplicating his changes the way he already did them, but it gives me a chance to see what he did. It gives me a chance to see what's in the code. A chance to see what's been updated after Wrye or Melchor's changes. If I see something simple maybe I can update it as I go.

Wrye Mash is a much smaller code base so I'm hoping it will be easier to experiment with the Wrye Bash.

I agree.  That sounds a good plan. :)

I forgot. Would you please list the steps to reproduce these two errors?

On 9/30/2017 at 3:36 PM, Leonardo said:

The first thing I notice was the merge levelled lists command and now I got this error, so it is broken in comparison to WMSA 87 which worked as intended.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mash\masher.pyo", line 5401, in Execute
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'LogFile'

I tried both ways; 1) extract the WMSA 88 archive on top of the WMSA 87 installation and overwritten all files when prompted vice versa,  2) deleted the Mopy folder and extracted both archives (WMSA 87 and WMSA 88) twice, one for each archive.

No matter what I do the merge levelled lists feature is broken in WMSA 88, but not in WMSA 87.

I also got an Unicode error when using this BSA tool to register a BSA for a mod, I mention here, at the same time I had WMSA open and below is the error I got, but without using WMSA then I have no Unicode error when using the BSA tool.

G:\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Mopy\mash.exe\mash\masher.py:1281: 
UnicodeWarning: Unicode unequal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

Just right click on the Mashed Lists.esp then select the Import >> Merge Lists command and it doesn't matter if you only have the official masters active or having one of Arthmoor's mods installed.

For the second one you need to download KINGPIX's BSA tool and extract the archive into the Morrowind folder. Launch WMSA and install the Better Armor (rev-14 Glass Armor) mod in BAIN then launch the BSA tool and register the BSA from that mod.

3 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Just right click on the Mashed Lists.esp then select the Import >> Merge Lists command and it doesn't matter if you only have the official masters active or having one of Arthmoor's mods installed.

For the second one you need to download KINGPIX's BSA tool and extract the archive into the Morrowind folder. Launch WMSA and install the Better Armor (rev-14 Glass Armor) mod in BAIN then launch the BSA tool and register the BSA from that mod.

Now that file was a RAR file and could not be installed. I unpcaked it, restructured it, and packed it again. So it's all installed.  However, how do you launch the BSA tool? If I need to install that whats the link form the nexus?

The Merge lists said nothing needed to be updated with 87.

Like I said, just extract the archive into the Morrowind folder then select the BSA Registration Utility.exe and send it as a shortcut to desktop then double click to launch it.  I don't think KINGPIX uploaded it to Nexus instead grab it on TAL.

http://www.theassimilationlab.com/forums/files/file/1059-kingpixs-useful-tools/

Yes, I got the same message in WMSA 87.

Well, did you list the steps in the other thread? Because I don't see how to use the BSA Reg Utility. I ran it from Windows explorer. I also added that to the Utils panel. I ran it both places no error with 87. I put the BSA Reg tool in the Morrowind folder because it tells you to when you run it.

If you ran that from the Utils panel before with 88 then I can see why it might error, because there is probably some need to use the file system, and the setup utility for the Utils panel in Mash gave me a box for arguments. So it's going to pass all that out and most likely have some conflict between unicode and non-unicode if they are mixed.

So just keep in mind I have never done this, and unlike some people, I actually run the program you suggest and actually try to reproduce the error. If there are steps to reproduce that error it's best to list them all and don't leave anything out because I might do it differently, or you might thing I have done it before, and then I won't see the error.

No, I didn't list the steps in the other thread since I thought it wasn't necessary.  So you didn't created a shortcut by right clicking on the BSA Registration Utility.exe and send it as a shortcut.

I always do this for almost every program I launch, except for programs that already have a shortcut added by a program installation.

The box in the Utilities tab you're talking about has always been there and haven't changed since Melchor released WMSA Ver. 001 over 7 years ago.

I don't get any error when I launched from the Utilities tab in WMSA 88, but I'll get an error as soon I browse and select the Better armor (rev14_Glass).bsa in the BSA Registration Utility at the same time WMSA 88 is running.  I suggest that you try that.

I'll be fixing up the code I used for 88 but I don't have 88 anymore. It's more, explaining how you got the error that was helpful.

So you didn't created a shortcut by right clicking on the BSA Registration Utility.exe and send it as a shortcut.

No but I disn't know what that means, exactly. I know how to make shortcuts to put on my desktop. However, when you have the shortcut were you sending it to the desktop, or was there a Wrye Mash related folder you send it to, and then do you run the BSA Util from the shortcut through the utils panel? I was looking for exactly what you do so that when I go to try it I don't end up saying I can't reproduce it.

However, though... When you have NMM open and the official Wrye Bash and both are altering plugins.txt for games that use that, you are bound to have errors. So that's something that I'd like you to consider in my quest to test and potentially resolve this issue.  Once I refine the routine that the error occurred in for masher.py:1281 where the strings were not going to compare because of the inequality, there may not be a way to resolve that because two programs are doing something at the same time.

To you when a program is open and you aren't doing anything, you consider it to be idle. It's not. There are events constantly running to watch for specific things to happen. A file update, the windows is brought to the foreground, the morrowind.ini is altered, whatever. Maybe I won't be able to fix it because the proper way to do it is from the utils panel. The difference would be because now the updated code works better.

What I added for 87 and 88 are just updated routines like I was saying. They just return one simple value whatever that value is. However, it's doing it in a much better way. Maybe it checks for 5 or 8 different things before it returns a value. That's why the file is now deleted when you uninstall the mod. I didn't change the code that controls how the installers work, I changed to code that says this is a file, this is a path, look here for this file, and if it's found return true. Those types of routines might not have done things correctly but the routines in WB 307 do, so now all the code that depends on those updated routines simply works because it receives the proper values.

Thanks again for the clarification, sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right. I checked your previous message and you do say you send the shortcut to the desktop. I'll try it, but believe me I am liking that Utils tab. It was removed from Wrye Bash and that's fine, there is a good chance nobody used it. However, nobody uses something if they don't know where it is, how it works, or how useful it is. I now see that the Utils panel is really awesome.

I was wondering how I would add all the buttons like what Wry Bash has for 3rd party tools. Could I make the Apps folder where you just drop a shortcut into the folder? What was I going to have to do to add that? I don't have to add anything because of the Utils panel. I can open up that panel, give it a name, browse to the exe, set the arguments like the Data Files folder location, whatever I need and then just run it. It's even flexible because now a user can add whatever they want without having to ask me to add a custom launcher. For example the Mlox program.

Yeah it's nice to run it from the drop down menu, but to be honest all you have to do to use Mlox and sort your mods is to just run the exe and click the button in the exe. I'm not going to remove that but basically Yacoby tried to redirect the output from Mlox and tes3cmd when it makes a report. He also had to make crazy imports and files like fakemlox.py in order to suppress reports.  I'll be looking at the utils panel because I bet I can just run all the programs from there with command line arguments and not even worry about whether or not there is Unicode support or proper support for the report it generates.

1 hour ago, Sharlikran said:

No but I disn't know what that means, exactly. I know how to make shortcuts to put on my desktop. However, when you have the shortcut were you sending it to the desktop, or was there a Wrye Mash related folder you send it to, and then do you run the BSA Util from the shortcut through the utils panel? I was looking for exactly what you do so that when I go to try it I don't end up saying I can't reproduce it.

Yes, I did mean send it as a shortcut to desktop.  I always use the shortcut, both from the Utilities tab and the shortcut in Windows and sometimes I also add a shortcut to the activity bar where the Start button is.

If you can't reproduce the error I got then maybe it has something to do what Windows version you're using and to be more precise what language version your Windows is e.g Windows (US) while I use Windows (non-US).  That difference always generated this Python 2.5 error in mlox every time the user sorted a loadorder when using a non-US version of Windows.

However, though... When you have NMM open and the official Wrye Bash and both are altering plugins.txt for games that use that, you are bound to have errors. So that's something that I'd like you to consider in my quest to test and potentially resolve this issue.  Once I refine the routine that the error occurred in for masher.py:1281 where the strings were not going to compare because of the inequality, there may not be a way to resolve that because two programs are doing something at the same time

I don't use NMM and I don't know what to look for, if that's what you need me to do.

What I added for 87 and 88 are just updated routines like I was saying. They just return one simple value whatever that value is. However, it's doing it in a much better way. Maybe it checks for 5 or 8 different things before it returns a value. That's why the file is now deleted when you uninstall the mod. I didn't change the code that controls how the installers work, I changed to code that says this is a file, this is a path, look here for this file, and if it's found return true. Those types of routines might not have done things correctly but the routines in WB 307 do, so now all the code that depends on those updated routines simply works because it receives the proper values.

That's something the people in the Morrowind modding community always wanted to see an improved code, but I guess that the people realized that is never gonna to happen and especially after that Yacoby stop maintaining Wrye Mash.

Melchor on the other hand hasn't been active since Nov 2010, unless he logged in as an anonymous user.

Thanks again for the clarification, sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right. I checked your previous message and you do say you send the shortcut to the desktop. I'll try it, but believe me I am liking that Utils tab. It was removed from Wrye Bash and that's fine, there is a good chance nobody used it. However, nobody uses something if they don't know where it is, how it works, or how useful it is. I now see that the Utils panel is really awesome.

I was wondering how I would add all the buttons like what Wry Bash has for 3rd party tools. Could I make the Apps folder where you just drop a shortcut into the folder? What was I going to have to do to add that? I don't have to add anything because of the Utils panel. I can open up that panel, give it a name, browse to the exe, set the arguments like the Data Files folder location, whatever I need and then just run it. It's even flexible because now a user can add whatever they want without having to ask me to add a custom launcher. For example the Mlox program.

I understand.  It must be a little difficult to downgrade yourself, so to speak, from being used of using advanced mod tools such as BOSS, LOOT, TESxEdit, TES4LodGen etc and suddenly starting to use *ancient* mod tools, perhaps a bit strange mod tools you never heard about before.

I also like the Utilities tab and that's something we have in common.

You know, the Utilities tab was the main reason why I created this and started to be interested in how much advanced Wrye Mash could be.  Unfortunately, that never happen until you posted this announcement.

I concur, the Utilies tab doesn't need to be replaced by something else.  However, perhaps add a pre-defined shortcut to the Wrye Mash Readme.html file into the Utilities tab.

I don't know if it's possible or not, but how about adding an icon to each shortcut that exists in the Utilities tab and the icon can either be added or removed, if the user doesn't want to have an icon there.

Yeah it's nice to run it from the drop down menu, but to be honest all you have to do to use Mlox and sort your mods is to just run the exe and click the button in the exe. I'm not going to remove that but basically Yacoby tried to redirect the output from Mlox and tes3cmd when it makes a report. He also had to make crazy imports and files like fakemlox.py in order to suppress reports.  I'll be looking at the utils panel because I bet I can just run all the programs from there with command line arguments and not even worry about whether or not there is Unicode support or proper support for the report it generates.

IIRC, Yacoby actually manage to generate a log file from tes3cmd and the file is stored in the Data Files folder.  But he didn't get it right for mlox due to the code in mlox.  Here is more information about tes3cmd.

I don't use NMM and I don't know what to look for, if that's what you need me to do.

No it's an example of programs clashing trying to access the same file, you don't need to do anything with NMM.

I finally got done with my rebase of Yacoby's branch. In the process I see that a merge commit actually overwrote, or reverted much of his fixes for things. So I let him know.  If he gets in touch with me I'll just ask him if he wants me to rebase his branch for him since I already know what the code should look like more or less.

So it seems and that happen over 6 years ago and still no change, but hopefully you can make a difference by actually changing the code to fix the Unicode error.