Ebony blade is back to it's original state..

Overlord

Hands down my favorite weapon for my two-handed builds, such a shame to see it being kinda dumped down again.

>>Lore says it can't be melted, but it says nothing about it not being able to be improved ?

This blade already needs the player to be lvl 20 to be unlocked, by that time experienced players would already have access to ebony - deadric - dragonbone. So again, reverting it to it's original state is really questionable.

Another downside is it needing 10 friendly npcs killed to maximize it's dmg output, even tho you can get a beggar and use the ritual stone (which is not a popular method really and can be considered exploiting to some hardcore players), it's still a reason why probably many avoid this blade.

Get a mod that handles this then because the decision was reviewed and decided for reversion after reading up on the lore. Since it can't be forged it's quite logical to also conclude it can't be improved either because the same sort of issues would come up.

I think balance should be in favor here, it's a big shame to see it like this considering now most weapons can surpass it's dmg. (Without taking 30 dmg life steal effect in account)

I think you'll find that folks get rather upset when they think we're making balance changes to the game and/or doing things that directly contradict the lore. That's not what the patch exists for.

What the game says should trump lore. The game isn't exactly lore perfect and the game says on loading screens:

"Any weapon or piece of armor can be improved at a smithy, regardless of the material type or the smith's skill or perks. Smithing perks increase how much the item is improved."

"Look for Forges and Grindstones in the world. You can use them to make new weapons and armor, and improve what you already have."

"Weapons can be improved at a Grindstone. Armor can be improved at a Blacksmith's table."

Besides, apparently in Skyrim you sharpen a weapon by grinding them which is abrasive cutting and has nothing to do with heating an object. If such an object existed in real life that was unable to be melted it would be perfect for this because you wouldn't need grinding fluids to avoid thermal damage.

I don't have a dog in this fight though. Don't use the weapon. I love my friends too much.

I do myself think lore is important, but in these particular situations its like sacrificing 2 for 1, viability and balance for little to no lore, Bethesda has some questionable decisions and i always thought the original decision of making it upgradable was a solid win.

Either way, i'm not really arguing, if it's for the best so be it, while i'm at it, is there any way to get a previous version of the mod ? There doesn't seem to be anything on the net that isn't up to date, my current character had an upgraded ebony so it's something that will make my life miserable until i make a new char.

The problem with arguing the load screen is that the book in the room with the blade is quite clear - which means the game is speaking to the issue directly instead of a generic load screen that could be interpreted numerous ways. We do not consider load screens to be primary sources of lore, especially when they're of the type that explain game mechanics such as this.

We are not going to change this again. The lore sources are correct, and a lot more people consider those to be important to maintain.

28 minutes ago, spa_sapping said:

So now way to get a previous version of the mod ? damn it.

No, I think Arthmoor has quite a complicated setup of CKs for different games on his machine supporting only the most recent patch released for each of them, maintaining old versions would be a very complicated nightmare of old versions of all the support files too in different batches for each game and mod.

In addition to that, the public support would also turn into a nightmare, people confused as to what version to use, people breaking their saves all the time due to going back to an older patch and causing many complex issues wasting everyones time.

Basicly it is logistically untenable, so none are left up for public use, and none are kept anywhere.

Only the most recent patch is supported. The team only have so much lifetime to maintain unofficial patches.

2 minutes ago, alt3rn1ty said:

No, I think Arthmoor has quite a complicated setup of CKs for different games on his machine supporting only the most recent patch released for each of them, maintaining old versions would be a very complicated nightmare of old versions of all the support files too in different batches.

In addition to that, the public support would also turn into a nightmare, people confused as to what version to use, people breaking their saves all the time due to going back to an older patch and causing many complex issues wasting everyones time.

Basicly it is logistically untenable, so none are left up for public use, and none are kept anywhere.

Only the most recent patch is supported.

I understand that, either way i wont be able to migrate from v3.0.9 to v3.0.10 until i make a new char or feel like it, so there's that.

May I recommend a new approach you could benefit from in future then : Personally if I manually download a new version of a mod, before installing it I make sure I have a save to go back to, and a backup copy of the previous version, that way you can always easily roll back safely with a few steps if there are problems found after testing your new modded setup.

Turn off any auto-updating mechanisms in mod managers, this is where they fubar your setup, and long term play-throughs.

Could have used that advice a couple of months ago lol

Can't even remember how many times i had to clean uninstall my skyrim and clean my master files again because of mods.

:) Yeah,  we need a new modding 101 topic somewhere like the old Bethesda forums Oblivion Mods FAQ sticky topic, which is a fair bit out of date now. Unfortunately the new Bethesda.net forums are not allowing any new sticky topics, which aswell as all the problems with forums software there, is another nail in the coffin for beth support and the community helping to help everyone. Beth net is not very conducive to good community assistance like it used to be.

I will add one further bit of advice: If you want something in your game badly enough, and nobody else has provided what you want, mod it in yourself. That's how we all learned to do this at first.

An ancient artifact cannot be forged, that is made by mortal smiths.

An ancient artifact cannot be melted, that is, turned into a pool of liquid metal, IE destroyed by heat and fire.

Game says nothing about being improved, that is heated and tempered and sharpened.

Seems like this is a subjective design decision, not an actual bug fix, as there's no actual bug.

But rendering the weapon capable of improvement by a Smith is a simple process, so mod it yourself. Crafting mods are one of the easiest to do, although tedious if dozens of recipes are needed.

The problem with many of these things is that they are level-dependent and scale to the level the character is when they are found, and are then locked to that level. This means that these "ultra-powerful" artifact weapons are not really all that powerful at all, and hardly "Artifacts of the Gods", as they soon become less powerful than a crafted iron dagger.

There are mods that allow the weapons to scale with you, rather than being locked at the level you were when they were found, and also mods that allow improvement by a Smith. If the Unofficial Patch has rendered the Mystical Mundane, there are Mods to make them Mystical again.

:)

On 2017-09-08 at 11:13 PM, ejnomad07 said:

What the game says should trump lore. The game isn't exactly lore perfect and the game says on loading screens:

"Any weapon or piece of armor can be improved at a smithy, regardless of the material type or the smith's skill or perks. Smithing perks increase how much the item is improved."

"Look for Forges and Grindstones in the world. You can use them to make new weapons and armor, and improve what you already have."

"Weapons can be improved at a Grindstone. Armor can be improved at a Blacksmith's table."

Besides, apparently in Skyrim you sharpen a weapon by grinding them which is abrasive cutting and has nothing to do with heating an object. If such an object existed in real life that was unable to be melted it would be perfect for this because you wouldn't need grinding fluids to avoid thermal damage.

I don't have a dog in this fight though. Don't use the weapon. I love my friends too much.

But the text on the loading screens says nothing about the arctifact does it?

Besides, I don't think the Daedra Lords care or know much about being a smith and that's for the mortals to do not the Gods.

I think this has gone on long enough. Our decision has been made and we're sticking to it. The lore is clear, what we've done is consistent with it, and that's pretty much that. *WE* are not responsible for the condition of things in the lore, Bethesda is. If you think this needs changing, lobby them to change it. We are not going to.

Don't be dragging me back into this Leo. Any weapon = any weapon. The game doesn't say "Any weapon but this...this..this..and this... It say ANY WEAPON. There are other weapons that are artifacts that can be improved so your point is more than moot! 

@Shadowblade

Weapons in Skyrim are not heated to be improved. They are cut with abrasion. That's much different and has nothing to do with heat. Typically with abrasive cutting you can use a fluid to even cut down the heat so as to avoid thermal damage.

Has anyone bothered to read the book next to it besides Arthmoor? It says not even the hottest fires of the Skyforge can melt the blade. How many weapons in this game are improved at the Skyforge or ANY forge for that matter? You temper stuff at the grinding stones!

This whole weapon was handled terribly by Bethesda. Probably because the intended version is hidden and locked away behind console commands and when those quests for it were scrapped we got this version of the weapon and half-assed into it's place.

The Vanilla version uses 2 hands to swing and skills and levels up 2 handed, but instead benefits from one handed perks, sword traits and fortify one handed potions, if the weapon gets confiscated from you for any reason it resets, breaks if put on weapon racks, missing a classification for a weapon material, the weapon doesn't work as intended if given to a follower and is missing tempering recipe data if you believe that a bug all culminating in several fixes in several versions of the unofficial patch for this weapon. In short, it's not at all the artifact it was ever intended to be no matter what is done because the original blade and quests for it were cut.

@THE OP

There is already a mod that reverts this change if you feel like using this blade on PC and Xbox1/Ps4. I still don't get how anyone could kill so many.

EDIT:

@Arthmoor

I was typing this before your post so don't think I am trying to restart this conversation.

If you wish to have an Ebony Blade that can be taken to a grindstone, you can make your own. It's a simple affair in the CK. Start by looking at Constructible Object (COBJ) forms.

No matter which route is taken, one of the two stances on this issue is going to complain about it. Convincing arguments were made that it didn't belong in USLEEP/USSEP, so it was removed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised this topic still getting replies, i think the blade is still decent, mid and late, even tho i have to enchant my gear to up it's dmg sacrificing other enchantments (210 dmg so far without alchemy) Either way the blade is still kicking even at level 42 on legendary.

But it's still way behind if you use alchemy and enchanting on... any weapon in the game.