[RELz] LOOT - Load Order Optimisation Tool

WrinklyNinja

1 hour ago, kestrelhawk said:

I'm also getting the 'no masterlist' when trying to sort my FO4 load order. Any ideas yet?

Have you tried updating the masterlist?

Yes, and still got an error message. Here is the debug log info. 

Spoiler

[08:51:03.210111] [warning]: Chromium console message: Styling master document from stylesheets defined in HTML Imports is deprecated, and is planned to be removed in M65, around March 2018. Please refer to https://goo.gl/EGXzpw for possible migration paths.
[08:51:03.275115] [warning]: Blocking load of resource at https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto+Mono:400,700|Roboto:400,300,300italic,400italic,500,500italic,700,700italic
[08:51:04.357177] [warning]: No masterlist present at C:\Users\Carol\AppData\Local\LOOT\Fallout4\masterlist.yaml
[08:51:08.570418] [error]: Exception while executing query: Git operation failed. Details: -17; unknown certificate check failure: libgit2 error
[08:51:08.571418] [error]: Chromium console message from http://loot/ui/js/handlePromiseError.js at line 14: Error: Oh no, something went wrong! You can check your LOOTDebugLog.txt (you can get to it through the main menu) for more information.
    at onFailure (http://loot/ui/js/query.js:43:16)
[08:51:21.701169] [error]: Exception while executing query: Git operation failed. Details: -17; unknown certificate check failure: libgit2 error
[08:51:21.701169] [error]: Chromium console message from http://loot/ui/js/handlePromiseError.js at line 14: Error: Oh no, something went wrong! You can check your LOOTDebugLog.txt (you can get to it through the main menu) for more information.
    at onFailure (http://loot/ui/js/query.js:43:16)

That's issue #882 too, check recent posts for a link to the issue thread, which has the fix, or read the installation requirements for v0.12.4.

18 hours ago, WrinklyNinja said:

LOOT v0.12.4 released!

Another bugfix release, this most notably fixes terrible performance setting/getting the load order with Data folders containing many nested loose files. I've also added a note for Windows 7 users about enabling TLS 1.2 support.

Created account just to thank you for this. I too was having LOOT error and running Windows 7. I had enabled the TLS 1.2 support, but was still having problems. I neglected to do the MicrosoftEasyFix51044.

I have done the fix and everything is working as usual. Thanks

Well, I have confirmed that TLS 1.1 and 1.2 is enabled through the registry.  I have installed the MicrosoftEasyFix51044 multiple times.  I still get the same error message whether I click on the down arrow to update the masterlist or I try to sort the list with masterlist updating enabled in settings.  It must be just me then ...

PB

Hello again, I have resolved this problem with the kb3140245 Windows Update!  I saw it mentioned on another forum.  If anyone else with Windows 7 is having problems make sure you get that Windows Update!  Thanks for the replys guys!!  Here is the Microsoft link if anyone is interested...

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb3140245

PB

• Thanks 1

Suddenly I'm getting a Load Error trying to sort around 35 FO4 mods.  I'm still using Loot Version 0.10.3 (build 0fcf788b) due to all the bug reports and issues flying around on the newer versions, and I don't consider myself a qualified beta tester. Up until last night, LOOT was working fine on both SSE and FO4.

Here's the log entry:

[14:30:55] [warning]: Blocking load of resource at https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto:400,300,300italic,400italic,500,500italic,700,700italic
[14:30:55] [warning]: Blocking load of resource at https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto+Mono:400,700
[14:31:01] [error]: An error occurred while trying to update the masterlist. This could be due to a server-side error. Try again in a few minutes.: libgit2 error

I'm running Windows 7 x64, latest updates including kb3140245, 16GB RAM. Please advise what I need to do. Thanks.

Issue #882, tried updating windows first to no avail. Had to go the route of adding values to the registry. My take a while, but it works for anyone still stuck go to page 11 and there is a link in a post to issue #882 and just follow what it says.

@Vyxenne You have missed 6 (!) official LOOT releases. Newer versions aren't "more unstable" nowadays, and even if there is is a problem, they are normally resolved quickly. As such, I would strongly advise you to install LOOT 0.12.4. That said, your current issue is related to GitHub dropping support for weak crypto standards. If you use LOOT 0.12.4 and have updated your Windows installation with all recommended patches, the last step would be to enable TLS 1.2 support to support updating the masterlists from LOOT's official repositories on GitHub.

6 hours ago, pStyl3 said:

@Vyxenne You have missed 6 (!) official LOOT releases. Newer versions aren't "more unstable" nowadays, and even if there is is a problem, they are normally resolved quickly. As such, I would strongly advise you to install LOOT 0.12.4. That said, your current issue is related to GitHub dropping support for weak crypto standards. If you use LOOT 0.12.4 and have updated your Windows installation with all recommended patches, the last step would be to enable TLS 1.2 support to support updating the masterlists from LOOT's official repositories on GitHub.

Firstly, thanks for your quick response. I acknowledge and accept your scolding for not updating LOOT for 6 releases, but the last two (2) times I have attempted to do so it failed to launch at all (first update attempt, posted here to Wrinkly about it) so I reverted, then on my next attempt a month or two later, the updated latest-and-greatest LOOT launched but immediately collapsed into a small, empty LOOT-colored (tan and yellow) frame at the top-left of my screen...  So I reverted it again and promised myself to stop trying to update something that was working perfectly and wait for the all-clear to sound, until it got a full-integer version number or until it stopped working, whichever came first. As it happens, it stopped working yesterday.

I can't overstate the loss of confidence I feel when an old friend lets me down, not once but twice- I was here in the BOSS days and have been a vocal proponent of BOSS >> LOOT, scolding all the "I sort mine manually! Whee! Now help me figure out why your mod is making my game crash!" :facepalm: crowd since day one. So please forgive my reluctance to shriek SHINIES! SHINIES! :lmao: every time a new version drops, especially as I follow along with all the posted bugs and issues. I hasten to add, I don't know how Wrinkly does it and my fashionable chapeau is off to him and his co-conspirators.

I installed version 0.12.4 and attempted to install kb3140245 but it was already installed on my machine. I launched LOOT 0.12.4 but it still failed to acquire the master list. So I ran the MS Easy Fix to add the Registry Key and voilĂ ! Poof! It worked! :banana:

Again, thanks for your response and please understand my reluctance to keep updating, then reverting every week or two until now. I'll try to be a good girl from now on. :innocent:

11 hours ago, pStyl3 said:

If you use LOOT 0.12.4 and have updated your Windows installation with all recommended patches, the last step would be to enable TLS 1.2 support to support updating the masterlists from LOOT's official repositories on GitHub.

That's something I don't care about, because this one doesn't want to mess with the forced Win10 updates in which M$ decided to do towards their Windows users and I don't like it one bit.

Those Win10 updates for Win7/8 should be (finally) a thing of the past by now, aren't they? I get where you're coming from, however the issue with GitHub dropping old TLS standards is more or less forcing us to suggest Windows updates as part of the solution, no matter what.

If that's the case then the latest LOOT version that supports the old TLS, probably TLS 1.1 or is it TLS 1.0 / TLS 1.1, should be provided for people who doesn't want to use Win10 and only use Win7, perhaps even use Win8.

23 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

If that's the case then the latest LOOT version that supports the old TLS, probably TLS 1.1 or is it TLS 1.0 / TLS 1.1, should be provided for people who doesn't want to use Win10 and only use Win7, perhaps even use Win8.

We can't, GitHub enforced a TLS 1.2 requirement. The only workaround we have is to host the masterlists elsewhere, but GitHub is definitely doing the right thing here, I'm unwilling to knowingly compromise security by using weaker encryption. It's up to Microsoft to keep up with reasonable security requirements: GitHub announced this change a year ago, and TLS 1.2 has been around since 2008!

I see.  Well how about doing the same thing as Dragon32 and john.moonsugar did with mlox, after Goggle Code was shut down 5 years ago I think, and that was to host it on Sourceforge.net.

Also, have you consider to host LOOT on TAL as they have GitLab, a variant of GitHub, in place.

Another thing regarding TLS 1.2 is that, if TLS 1.2 has been around since 2008 then I find it unlikely that Win7/8 users should have an issue when using the latest LOOT.

39 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

I see.  Well how about doing the same thing as Dragon32 and john.moonsugar did with mlox, after Goggle Code was shut down 5 years ago I think, and that was to host it on Sourceforge.net.

Also, have you consider to host LOOT on TAL as they have GitLab, a variant of GitHub, in place.

Another thing regarding TLS 1.2 is that, if TLS 1.2 has been around since 2008 then I find it unlikely that Win7/8 users should have an issue when using the latest LOOT.

I'm not touching Sourceforge with a barge pole if I can help it, it's been a terrible site (distributing malware, monetising the projects it hosts, etc.) for years. I chose GitHub for BOSS and subsequently LOOT when Google Code shut down because it provides the best user and developer experience. GitLab's a worthy competitor that's come a long way, but there's no point moving to it.

TLS 1.2 has been around for almost a decade but didn't get strong adoption until a few years ago after a bunch of vulnerabilities in TLS 1.0 and 1.1 were exposed, IIRC. Whether or not you consider something unlikely is immaterial. Users are experiencing issues, and do so with every version of LOOT, because it's an OS-level issue. A whole host of software is affected - Microsoft even posted instructions for Visual Studio users to apply the same Registry changes to fix VS. I really don't see why you're persisting this line of enquiry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WrinklyNinja said:

really don't see why you're persisting this line of enquiry.

Well, let say I have started to dislike M$ in recent years, more than I used to be in the past, especially after Win10 came out.

1 minute ago, Leonardo said:

Well, let say I have started to dislike M$ in recent years, more than I used to be in the past, especially after Win10 came out.

I'm hardly Microsoft's biggest fan either, but I don't know what you expect me to do about them.

2 hours ago, WrinklyNinja said:

TLS 1.2 has been around for almost a decade but didn't get strong adoption until a few years ago after a bunch of vulnerabilities in TLS 1.0 and 1.1 were exposed, IIRC.

Yep thats about the meat of it. Anyone following Steve Gibsons "Security now!" will have cleaned out bad cert's and dropped using TLS 1.0, 1.1 and SSL v3, since the old so called POODLE attacks were made public knowledge.

I agree, finding other ways to keep using the old TLS encryption is a really bad idea, the whole world will be dropping them so whatever you did instead will only be a temporary measure = not worth doing. Github forcing 1.2 is a damned good thing imho.

Edit : Aswell as POODLE there were a few other attacks too like LogJam and Beast

https://githubengineering.com/crypto-removal-notice/

23 hours ago, PolkaBoy said:

Hello again, I have resolved this problem with the kb3140245 Windows Update!  I saw it mentioned on another forum.  If anyone else with Windows 7 is having problems make sure you get that Windows Update!  Thanks for the replys guys!!  Here is the Microsoft link if anyone is interested...

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb3140245

PB

Hallelujah!!! THIS did the trick for me after everything else I tried failed; all the reg fixes et al. Arigato! Win7 64, AMD Phenom, GeForce 750 Ti-2GB V, 8GB MB RAM. Please pin this for others.  

What should be bothersome to people is not that GitHub enforced a higher security requirement, it's that Microsoft has, as usual, failed to properly keep their operating systems maintained enough so that such an enforcement doesn't cause problems for users. When even people using Windows 10 with the forced updates and everything are saying they have problems, this is nobody's fault but Microsoft and THEY should be the ones you complain to. Not the makers of various programs depending on that support.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:40 PM, Vyxenne said:

I installed version 0.12.4 and attempted to install kb3140245 but it was already installed on my machine. I launched LOOT 0.12.4 but it still failed to acquire the master list. So I ran the MS Easy Fix to add the Registry Key and voilĂ ! Poof! It worked! :banana:

I also have kb140245 installed on my Win7 machine with LOOT 0.12.4 and cannot acquire a masterlist. But I am a complete newb when it comes to this.

Please, which MS Easy Fix and what Registry key?  Alternatively, how do you manually download and install a masterlist?

Sorry for being so stupid about all this. Will this mean manually installing any new masterlists every single time from now on?

Thanks for any help!