No Mans Sky - Update

alt3rn1ty

Oh godz, disregard my last post reference modules .. we have to buy them first with Salvaged Frigate Modules. :facepalm:

Think I was tired.

But the exclamation mark is buggy on that menus tab.

Yeah, I realized the "rooms" are something you need modules to buy them with.

The exclamation mark is also not buggy. Click on the corridor. There should be an option to hit "X" to see the variants. Those variants will have exclamation marks of their own to click through.

Another Experimental is up, looks like they have been busy on a Saturday

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3476233614743683144/

Experimental Branch 23/07
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent building within very tall freighter bases.
  • Fixed a rare visual glitch caused by the Exosuit backpack being incorrectly scaled.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed bases from blocked players to still be synced in some circumstances.
  • The UI now displays additional feedback after feeding a living frigate and evolving new traits.
  • The visual effects for harvest plants within freighter bio rooms have been improved.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some posters to use the wrong texture.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from claiming earned frigates from the list of past expedition rewards.
  • Fixed an issue that caused too many wires to be removed when deleting a connected base part (such as a switch).
  • Fixed an issue that left ladders behind when deleting their attached room on a freighter.
  • Fixed an issue that caused multiplayer freighter bases to be missing on PlayStation 4.
  • Introduced a number of rendering optimisations for freighter bases.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented people from acquiring a living frigate if they changed their system clock.
  • Fixed a number of cases where base parts (and planters) were not being powered correctly in some freighter base configurations.
  • Fixed an issue that awarded players the resources gathered by NPC asteroid miners.
  • Supporting scaffolds have been added to the underside of elevated freighter base parts.
  • Players now always know the freighter bulkhead door, to prevent them from being trapped if they delete all exits to a room.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from skipping cinematic black bars while in an Exocraft.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent newly-purchased frigates from joining up with the fleet.
  • Fixed a number of visual glitches in freighter room parts.
  • Players may now harvest carbon from the plants growing on the walls of their agricultural freighter rooms.
  • Fixed a number of memory-related crashes, particularly on PlayStation4 and Xbox 1.
  • Fixed a crash related to base building.
  • Fixed a crash related to freighter loading.

Another Experimental update ..

Experimental Branch Update 24/07
  • Fixed an issue that prevented teleporters from working correctly on derelict freighters.
  • Fixed a crash related to the Fleet Command room.

Yep, ran into the teleporter issue on a derelict last night. Had to leave the hard way. They also nerfed how long your hazard protection lasts. I had to scramble several times to refill the suit protection with sodium. Never used to have to do that between heaters.

Ugh!, well I suppose it makes derelicts a bit of a challenge, but that aspect of derelicts I feel is a bit of a PITA though it was tolerable .. but now they made it worse :facepalm:

Its also a bit weird, we can traverse walkways outside of Frigates, and now after Endurance we can walk outside of our Freighters in space on walkways, and not experience any increased freezing (or for that matter boiling in the sun) temperature. Presumably our suits are advanced enough to protect us from extreme space temperatures ..

.. But not inside derelicts = Inconsistent.

I better hush my mouth in case they see this and turn everywhere the same as inside derelicts :fear:

Really enjoying experimenting with all the new Freighter building possibilities, but holding off on building other levels in case they decide to bring back ramps, fingers crossed anyway.

Oh and did you know if you go to an Outlaw system, and go blowing up the cargo pods of big Freighters, you dont get any race rep hits .. Randomly you can get those Salvaged frigate modules from those cargo pods, and in a much better frequency than trying to get them off Derelicts. Makes acquiring them for all the new Freighter parts a bit quicker.

One word of caution - don't jet pack over the barriers on your catwalks outside the freighter area. If you go far enough you are in deep space and you'll be dead in seconds from life support failure.

I collected all of my salvaged modules by attacking freighters in a pirate system I control. My main base is in a system they turned into an outlaw station. It's awesome :P

• Like 2

They fixed the Dreadnought class Freighter approach when landing on it in a starship.

Not seen it mentioned anywhere so I think they just bundled it up from ancient bug reports before applying it in this recent bunch of Freighter related overhauling.

Nice to see that one finally done though (cant remember when I first reported it), I love that Freighter style, but being dragged into the masts just in front of the Hangar entrance by the landing "tractor beam" always tweaked the nose of my immersion conscious OCD. I think they moved the masts a bit further away from the entrance giving you more last minute manoeuvring room, and the "tractor beam" grab is just a bit later.

-----------

Another bunch of experimental fixes today ..

Experimental Branch Update 25/07
  • Players can now place specific variants (straight/T-Junction/X-Junction) of freighter glass corridors.
  • Fixed an issue that caused ByteBeat music to play over the top of the intended settlement bar music.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed players to interact with their ship while it was being salvaged for scrap.
  • Fixed a rare blocking issue that could prevent portals from working correctly when triggered on the Artemis path while very close to the centre of the galaxy.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented freighter doors and windows from being automatically deleted if the room they are attached to is deleted.

Well I did my part and filed a request through their Zendesk to bring back ramps/stairs for freighter builds and to provide us with a solid wall that can be placed the same way the new window can. I generally prefer to wall off certain rooms which is currently only possible while using the windows.

Yep me too on the ramp/stairs.

Good call for a wall, there is a need for one, I have also been using the window part for such things.

Otherwise I am overall liking the changes to Freighter building, I had a doh moment when I nearly submitted a request for some of the new compartment expansion pieces to be able to accept decals .. But then realised if you want a room to hang expedition decals you can use the legacy rooms, so used a few of those for the Captains bedroom branched off of his day room.

Also trying out the Short Range Teleporters to go up/down and then deleting the ladders used to create an upper level afterwards .. Its functional, I have two pairs one forward and one aft, but you dont get randomly wandering NPCs from your fleet going up there probably because they cant path through SRTs, and aesthetically ramps are still much better.

Love the new doors though, where for example you want to immersively have an airlocked exit/entry thats obviously needed, but also for a quiet area (Church/Chill area for all denominations of the crew), and an airlocked area for your Korvax Scientist doing experiments on those bugs in jars / nest pods .. Don't want any accidental releases turning your Freighter into a derelict :)

Also submitted a report about the new Freighter Teleport Room, you cant interact with it from the front, you have to go around the back of it :facepalm:

xwoqznw.png

oAulIRE.png

Another experimental branch update (possibly the last before the next update goes public)

Experimental Branch Update 26/07
  • Fixed an issue that caused the freighter to appear in the warp tunnel while playing in VR.

Odd, I haven't had any issues like that with the teleport room. Mine works just fine activating it from the front.

Yep I saw someone else talking about the same on reddit, but apparently sometimes it happens and sometimes not, very weird. On the second picture showing the interaction around the back, you can also see the effect of teleport erm .. god rays? .. also coming out the back, they should be coming out the front.

Its like that part of the model is switched back to front for whatever technical reason, but it doesn't make sense because logically it should be the same way all the time.

Maybe it has something to do with what the room is placed adjacent to :shrug:

Apparently the Freighter centric Expedition has started, 2 month duration.

I think I will wait for the past weeks worth of experimental updates to go public then start it.

.. But also Sean Murray is tweeting emojis again before that has released :blink:

Its gone public .. no idea what the release notes are yet, but probably all the fixes in the last 3-4 experimentals.

Edit : Release notes, + includes deets about PoleStar Expedition

https://www.nomanssky.com/2022/07/expedition-eight-polestar/

Hello Everyone!

Last week, we released our 20th major free update for No Man’s Sky, ENDURANCE. When we first added freighters to the game back in the FOUNDATION update, we could never have imagined we’d be here, reimagining them, six years later – we had no idea what was ahead of us!

ExteriorReShoot-10.jpg

We’ve loved watching folks assembling their fleets of organic frigates, and it has been tremendous to see the base building community’s imaginings coming to life with the new freighter building capabilities – constructing huge botanical chambers, medical bays, engine rooms, and even expansive cities on their freighter’s exterior!

Polestar Expedition

Today, we are launching the game’s eighth community expedition: Polestar. Embark on an interstellar cruise as the captain of a heavy shipping freighter, warping your metal fortress across the galaxy.

Special1.Expedition.Decal08.Crop_-700x43

During the voyage, Travellers will repair the freighter’s bespoke technology, and uncover the mysterious circumstances that led to its current predicament…

expedition-2-745w.png

After completing all the required expedition milestones, you may now end the expedition early and convert your progress to a Normal Mode save. As with previous expeditions, when Polestar concludes, this save conversion will happen automatically.

Polestar’s limited edition rewards can be redeemed across all save games from the Space Anomaly’s Quicksilver Synthesis Companion.

The Polestar expedition begins today, and will run for approximately six weeks.

Polestar Expedition Rewards

Pilgrim, Polestar, and Heavy Shipping Posters

Decorate freighter and planetary bases alike with these three commemorative posters – dedicated to all spacefarers, navigators, explorers and freighter crew.

Posters.png

High-Gravity Freighter Trail

Customise your capital ship with this limited edition freighter trail. High-energy exhaust gases rapid condense as they exit the freighter’s colossal engines, collapsing into micro-singularities.

Outlaw Building Decorations

Add a case of navigation charts, an arrangement of technical data, or a rustic light source to your bases with the Navigation Archive, Data Display Unit, and Flaming Barrel.

Items.png

Fleet Commander’s Cape

Assume the role of captain and voyager of the stars with this imposing cloak.

Child of Helios Companion

Claim the Child of Helios egg, and invite this beautiful, spectral creature to haunt your journey through the universe.

Community Spotlight

• Art_Man_Oil-700x931.png
  •  
  • myrealityde-700x394.png

@Art_Man_Oil and u/myrealityde drew these lovely pixel art depictions of the Atlas, in contrasting styles!

jzr0x-700x467.jpg

u/jzr0x has been making a number of laser engraved wood pieces – this one is especially detailed and beautiful!

NoProtection6220-700x467.jpg

u/NoProtection6220 created this stunning image of an exotic starship sinking into the ocean depths.

• Both_Elephant_9735-700x394.png
  •  
  • GerogBlanc-700x394.jpg
  •  
  • wesley_shark-700x394.png
  •  
  • benneburg-700x394.png

This atmospheric, in-game photography was taken by u/Both_Elephant_9735, u/GerogBlanc, @wesley_shark and @benneburg.

Community Research

The Quicksilver Synthesis Companion continues to tirelessly craft new exotic collectables, unlocked by Travellers completing Nexus missions – including the new Sentinel Pillar and Infestation combat challenges.

Most recently, the Cosmic Flight, Orbital, and Ship Catalogue Posters have become available.

TwitterimagePoster4.png

The next set of items to be synthesised, starting today, is this exciting set of freighter exhaust customisations: the Antimatter, Golden, and Hadal Freighter Trails.

TwitterimageJets.png

Exchange Quicksilver for exotic collectables aboard the Space Anomaly. Complete multiplayer the missions at The Nexus to contribute towards unlocking collectables, and earn Quicksilver from the specially-marked daily or weekend missions.

Development Update

Patch 3.97, which contains a number of gameplay and stability fixes, is being released today and will be coming to all platforms as soon as possible. The team are currently taking some time to address issues reported by the community, but we have so much more packed in for 2022! The release of No Man’s Sky on Nintendo Switch, PSVR2, and MacOS are all just around the corner, and we have already started on new content and surprises for later in the year.

Thank you, travellers, for staying on this journey with us.

Sean

3.97 Patch Notes

• Fixed a number of memory-related crashes, particularly on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
  • Fixed a crash related to base building.
  • Fixed a crash related to freighter loading.
  • Fixed a PSVR-exclusive crash.
  • Fixed a crash related to the Fleet Command room.
  • Fixed a crash related to ByteBeat.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented teleporters from working correctly on derelict freighters.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from claiming earned frigates from the list of past expedition rewards.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented people from acquiring a living frigate if they changed their system clock.
  • Fixed a number of mission and dialog issues that could prevent mission progress.
  • Fixed an issue that caused ByteBeat music to play over the top of the intended settlement bar music.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent newly-purchased frigates from joining up with the fleet.
  • Introduced a number of rendering optimisations for freighter bases.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent building within very tall freighter bases.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed bases from blocked players to still be synced in some circumstances.
  • Fixed an issue that caused too many wires to be removed when deleting a connected base part (such as a switch).
  • Fixed an issue that left ladders behind when deleting their attached room on a freighter.
  • Fixed an issue that caused multiplayer freighter bases to be missing on PlayStation 4.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some posters to use the wrong texture.
  • Players now always know the freighter bulkhead door, to prevent them from being trapped if they delete all exits to a room.
  • Supporting scaffolds have been added to the underside of some elevated freighter base parts.
  • Fixed a number of cases where base parts (and planters) were not being powered correctly in some freighter base configurations.
  • Players may now harvest carbon from the plants growing on the walls of their agricultural freighter rooms.
  • Fixed a number of visual glitches in freighter room parts.
  • Fixed an issue that made it impossible to place objects on some shelves.
  • Players can now place specific variants (straight/T-Junction/X-Junction) of freighter glass corridors.
  • Fixed an issue that made the Galactic Trade Terminal UI appear in the wrong position while in VR and using the freighter trade room.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented freighter doors and windows from being automatically deleted if the room they are attached to is deleted.
  • The UI now displays additional feedback after feeding a living frigate and evolving new traits.
  • Fixed a rare visual glitch caused by the Exosuit backpack being incorrectly scaled.
  • The visual effects for harvest plants within freighter bio rooms have been improved.
  • The Wormhole Brain and the Neural Shielding now have the correct Quick Menu icons.
  • Fixed an issue that made Flight Assist Override less effective than intended during space combat.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the Wormhole Brain from being used to detect trade outposts.
  • Infestation Nexus missions now correctly lead players to the target planet.
  • Fixed a rare blocking issue that could prevent portals from working correctly when triggered on the Artemis path while very close to the centre of the galaxy.
  • Fixed an issue that awarded players the resources gathered by NPC asteroid miners.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from skipping cinematic black bars while in an Exocraft.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent fleet expeditions from displaying living frigate related story content.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the correct effects from playing as the starship exits warp.
  • Fixed a visual issue that caused space colouring to leak into the freighter warp tunnel.
  • Fixed an issue that could allow some Leviathan-exclusive missions to persist indefinitely after the end of the expedition.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent ship previews from appearing correctly in the Quick Menu.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause incorrect icons to appear in the top-left notification after unlocking a new section of the guide.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed players to interact with their ship while it was being salvaged for scrap.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the freighter to appear in the warp tunnel while playing in VR.

Another Experimental branch

AND .. note, interior and exterior staircases YAAS!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3464975249564211395/

Experimental Branch 29/07
  • Fixed a visual glitch that could occur when the player stood on very steep ledges or railings.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause some Leviathan-specific missions to persist beyond the end of the expedition.
  • Fixed a number of visual issues with freighter engines.
  • Improved the messaging during combat at Sentinel Pillars during Nexus missions.
  • Fixed a number of collision issues in freighter bases.
  • Fixed a case where freighter rooms with ladders could prevent other parts in the base from being powered.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from building inside another player's freighter base, even with the correct multiplayer permissions.
  • Fixed a collision issue that allowed players to become stuck when jetpacking into the freighter bridge teleporter.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some NPCs to give dialog from the wrong quest the first time they were interacted with.
  • Starships can no longer be purchased or exchanged while your current ship is being salvaged, to prevent issues were inventories and stats of your current ship were displaced.
  • Placing a ladder in a freighter now automatically adds a room above it.
  • Fixed an issue that caused NPC ship labels to have the incorrect pilot name in pirate space stations.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented freighter upgrades related to frigate speed and fuel usage from working correctly.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented Vy'keen face shape customisation from being available in the Appearance Modifier.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented organic frigates from making contact if discovered in uninhabited systems.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented summoning a freighter immediately after acquiring a new organic frigate.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incorrect information to appear on the frigate UI (such as 'flesh status') after viewing the Leviathan.
  • The visibility of the 'feed' slot for organic frigates has been improved.
  • Fixed a number of minor visual issues with freighter base parts.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed unwanted bases to appear around specific Nexus mission locations.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause Nexus missions involving activated Cadium to fail to initiate.
  • The visuals of the freighter Nutrition Room have been improved.
  • Two additional freighter base parts have been added: an internal staircase and a set of exterior stairs.
  • Fixed a number of shadowcasting glitches on freighter exterior bases.
  • Fixed a number of PlayStation 4 specific crashes.

29 minutes ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Infestation Nexus missions now correctly lead players to the target planet.

Good, that mission was horribly broken. I wasted over an hour trying to find the target only to realize it wasn't there.

And more ..

Experimental Branch 29/07 Update
  • Fixed a rare case where players would not receive a Dream Aerial from fleet mission after a mission was totally destroyed, or after adjusting the system clock.

3.98 released .. Apparently, but steam depots are not showing any updates after the Experimental updates recently, so probably today sometime given that they made the official announcement last night.

Realese notes page ..

https://www.nomanssky.com/2022/07/endurance-patch-3-98/

Bug fixes

• Fixed a visual glitch that could occur when the player stood on very steep ledges or railings.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause some Leviathan-specific missions to persist beyond the end of the expedition.
  • Fixed a number of visual issues with freighter engines.
  • Improved the messaging during combat at Sentinel Pillars during Nexus missions.
  • Fixed a number of collision issues in freighter bases.
  • Fixed a case where freighter rooms with ladders could prevent other parts in the base from being powered.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from building inside another player’s freighter base, even with the correct multiplayer permissions.
  • Fixed a collision issue that allowed players to become stuck when jetpacking into the freighter bridge teleporter.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some NPCs to give dialog from the wrong quest the first time they were interacted with.
  • Starships can no longer be purchased or exchanged while your current ship is being salvaged, to prevent issues were inventories and stats of your current ship were displaced.
  • Placing a ladder in a freighter now automatically adds a room above it.
  • Fixed an issue that caused NPC ship labels to have the incorrect pilot name in pirate space stations.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented freighter upgrades related to frigate speed and fuel usage from working correctly.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented Vy’keen face shape customisation from being available in the Appearance Modifier.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented organic frigates from making contact if discovered in uninhabited systems.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented summoning a freighter immediately after acquiring a new organic frigate.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incorrect information to appear on the frigate UI (such as ‘flesh status’) after viewing the Leviathan.
  • The visibility of the ‘feed’ slot for organic frigates has been improved.
  • Fixed a number of minor visual issues with freighter base parts.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed unwanted bases to appear around specific Nexus mission locations.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause Nexus missions involving activated Cadium to fail to initiate.
  • The visuals of the freighter Nutrition Room have been improved.
  • Two additional freighter base parts have been added: an internal staircase and a set of exterior stairs.
  • Fixed a number of shadowcasting glitches on freighter exterior bases.
  • Fixed a rare case where players would not receive a Dream Aerial from fleet mission after a mission was totally destroyed, or after adjusting the system clock.

We will continue to release patches as issues are identified and resolved. If you experience any issues, let us know by submitting a bug report.

^^ 3.98 is now downloading on GOG

Edit : And stealth fix .. Teleporter rooms onboard Freighters are behaving as they should now :)

bdGIIS7.png

I don't know that I'd consider it a stealth fix since not everyone was encountering the issue you described :P

I am very happy to have the new staircases - they're every bit as cool looking as the rest of the new build set. Now I can put my Captain's Quarter upstairs where it belongs.

Yep the new staircases are pretty good, currently redesigning my freighter.

But apparently there is another staircase on its way, no clue at the moment what niche they will fill ..

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3464975762206076164/

Experimental Branch 02/08
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent the Sentinel Hive Mission completing after the host leaves a multiplayer session.
  • Added an additional set of stairs to freighter base parts.
  • Improvements made to freighter colour customisation.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent the Taste of Metal mission from completing.

Window stairs ..

HG are really making Freighters a good base.

Only thing we need to be aware of now is the new wandering NPCs and their typical pathing routes so they can freely walk around everywhere, caused me to rethink a few places so they can walk down the middle of any particular room and also allowing them to turn a right angle in the centre of a room for any route to adjacent rooms they may walk down (unless its a dedicated tech room like the Nutrition room, they seem to be ok with pathing around and up to those carrying out their various inspections).

I made one of those multi-storey inside out rooms as a Chapel / Chill area (being multi-storey and coloured dark inside it gives the place a sort of Cathedral feel), and found NPCs could get stuck inside the rooms which make up the wall and ceiling. So I used an adjacent block of rooms to connect to the outside edge of those with corridors / stairways enabling free passage to / from the interior of those for each level, and now NPCs are getting everywhere again. Used the interior of those wall rooms for storage rooms and engineering themed areas.

-----------------------------

Edit : Looks like they have reworded and added to the experimental list of fixes posted yesterday ..

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3464975762206076164/

Experimental Branch 02/08
  • Fixed a number of network synchronisation issues with Sentinel combat.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent progress in Sentinel Pillar Nexus missions if players dropped out.
  • Fixed a number of memory-related crashes on PlayStation 4.
  • Fixed an issue that could allow players to get stuck in the freighter bridge teleporter if they were jetpacking on entry.
  • A glass version of the freighter stairs is now available to research and construct.
  • Fixed a number of visual issues with decorative items that glowed too intensely.
  • Fixed a number of issues with freighter customisation that caused areas of paint to be too small or to be incorrectly labelled as primary/secondary/tertiary.
  • Freighter surface details (such as numbers and decals) are now recoloured when changing paint options on the freighter customisation screen.
  • Improved the appearance of landing lights in the freighter hangar.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent players from claiming expedition reward frigates on other saves.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a progression blocker in the Taste of Metal mission (and others) during an expedition.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent players from claiming the reward for the first Polestar
  • Log milestone if they had already maxed out their ship inventory.

Ah, nice new stairs. Now if we could just stop the NPCs from taking an exterior path across an open catwalk when they're not wearing a helmet :P