No Mans Sky - Update

alt3rn1ty

Yeah, I've got the same issues on a pair of bridges I built to link 3 islands on my Horker Island base. The foundation things don't always work.

Also ran into a stupid bug last night. I sat down on a bench at one of those outdoor trade stations where it shields you from the nasty weather effects. Was going to wait out a storm so my ship didn't get hit by lighting trying to leave. Well, standing up is fine. No issue. Sit down on the bench, the radiation from the storm starts piling up. Stand back up, all good again. Somebody clearly never playtested stuff like that.

O_o, you know after all this time I have never sat down at a Trade Centre, I know the weather can get you if you are not far enough in under the main roof, from running around between landing ships trying occasionally to find a random pilot with a Walker Brain (ingredient for one of the starship upgrades, when I couldn't be bothered raising a Sentinel Walker), and sometimes when trying to get an S-Class Fighter of a particular type (before we could expand starships of any type to S-Class in a space station and max its slots).

Maybe if you choose the seats nearest the Galactic Trade Terminal you would be safe, but reclining on some would take your body beyond the limited area of protection?. Going to try and see.

Did you know .. If you press X when flying your Starship, then use Q to go to the settings, then in settings you can Scan for a trade centre. Seems like a bizarre place to put that Scan option, I only found out recently it had been placed in there, but it gets you those 7 landing pad Trade Centres (not the small Trading Posts with the one landing pad).

It didn't matter where I sat in the station.

Scanning functions buried in the settings UI? Who thought that was a good idea?

Reported the placement of the Scan function and the station issue to zendesk, might see it fixed in a few years :rolleyes:

I am also pushing this idea .. https://www.gog.com/forum/no_mans_sky/about_that_flying_saucer

See post #4. I think it would be a good long term kinda quest, with the goal somewhere near the centre of whatever current galaxy the player is in.

Prisms update v3.5

https://www.nomanssky.com/prisms-update/

DEEP LEARNING SUPER SAMPLING

• Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) is an NVIDIA RTX technology which incorporates anti-aliasing and super sampling techniques to improve image detail at higher resolutions, without compromising framerate.
  • DLSS can be enabled for all compatible NVIDIA RTX graphics cards, and offers significant performance and visual quality improvements.

SCREEN SPACE REFLECTIONS

• Screen space reflections (SSR) have been enabled for PC (coming soon to PCVR), next-generation consoles, and Xbox One X.
  • SSR creates high-quality reflective materials and improves lighting quality.
  • Bespoke SSR visuals have been authored and enabled on the Space Anomaly, the Space Station, freighter interiors, derelict freighters and Atlas Stations.

VOLUMETRICS

• The existing volumetric lighting system has been significantly optimised.
  • Volumetric lighting has been enabled in VR.
  • Added support for coloured volumetric lights.
  • Added support for directional volumetric lights.
  • Added volumetric lighting to caves.
  • Added volumetric lighting to starship and exocraft headlights.
  • Added volumetric lighting to Sentinel drones, quads and walkers.
  • Added volumetric lighting to more props in derelict freighters.

PARALLAX OCCLUSION MAPPING

• Parallax occlusion mapping has been added for all platforms.
  • Parallax occlusion mapping adds additional detail and definition to textures and materials used on the Space Anomaly and large planetary buildings.

REFRACTIONS

• Light refraction rendering has been enabled for all platforms except VR on base PS4.
  • Glass basebuilding parts will now refract light.
  • Refractive materials have been added to appropriate glass or liquid decorative items, such as glass containers or transparent screens.
  • Refractive materials have been added to appropriate planetary effects, such as floating bubbles.
  • Refractive materials have been added to the Space Anomaly.
  • Starship and Exocraft cockpits now refract the light.

RAIN AND WEATHER

• The visual quality and density of rain effects have been significantly improved.
  • Raindrops now refract the light.
  • Planetary surfaces, plants, minerals, creatures, starships and players now become wet when they are rained upon.
  • Lightning storms now have a chance to create storm crystals at the impact point of lightning.
  • Meteor showers now have a chance to leave valuable harvestable rocks at their impact site.

VISUAL & AUDIO QUALITY

• Light shaft / crepuscular ray rendering has been improved for a more atmospheric planetary experience.
  • Many foliage props have been reworked for increased detail.
  • Additional planetary details have been added, and draw distances on existing objects have been increased, for next-generation consoles and PC using Ultra settings.
  • Caves have been overhauled, creating a rich, more detailed, more atmospheric environment to explore.
  • Warping and teleportation visuals and audio have been completely reworked.
  • The Space Station hangar bay now features an automated Space Station Controller to monitor traffic and ensure smooth station operations.
  • Starship engine audio has been remixed and improved.
  • Particle effects, such as drone, ship and asteroid explosions, have been significantly improved.
  • The visual effects for the player torch have been improved.
  • Fixed a number of issues that caused the player torch to be too bright for the current location.
  • Fixed a number of issues that caused the player torch to intersect the player while running.
  • Debanding has been improved, fixing several visual artifacts in high-noise areas.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the galaxy map to be less colourful than intended.
  • Fixed an aliasing issue affecting chairs and other seating in the Space Station.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause incorrect shadows on freighter bridges.
  • Fixed an issue that caused ship takeoff audio to trigger as the game loaded.
  • Fixed several visual issues with the alien pods aboard derelict freighters.

PHOTO MODE

• The depth of field effect has been rewritten, based on physical circle-of-confusion simulation.
  • The quality of the DoF field has been significantly improved.
  • In Photo Mode, DoF controls have been adjusted to reflect these settings. Auto-Far mode has been removed. A Macro mode has been added, giving fine control over focus close to the camera.
  • Bloom control has been added to the available Photo Mode options.
  • The buttons to adjust Photo Mode settings have been made instant click.
  • Fixed an issue that caused audio spam while adjusting Photo Mode settings.

CREATURES & COMPANIONS

• Fur rendering technology has been added for all platforms except Xbox One S and PSVR.
  • Fur has been added to a number of creatures. These creatures have been selected appropriately from existing species.
  • Virtually all low-flying and land-based creatures can now be tamed and adopted as companions.
  • Low-flying companions can be mounted and flown through the sky.
  • Fixed an issue that caused crablike creatures to always be labelled as extinct.
  • Fixed a number of colouration and marking issues with specific creatures.

BYTEBEAT

• The quality of the ByteBeat drum synthesiser has been significantly improved.
  • A ByteBeat library and music player has been added to the Quick Menu, under Utilities.
  • The library can be used to play saved tracks wherever you are, allowing you to create your own personal soundtrack.
  • When within a base (your own or another player’s) with active ByteBeat Devices, you can save the devices’ output as a track to your Library.
  • The ByteBeat Library can be used to send tracks to nearby players. Sent tracks are saved to their Library.

UI & QUALITY OF LIFE

• Fixed an issue that caused the galaxy map to show duplicate freighter markers if your active mission involved your capital ship.
  • Planetary Charts that fail to locate a building are no longer consumed.
  • Planetary Charts that fail to locate a building will give an error message with guidance as to why.
  • When purchasing a freighter, your previous freighter base will now be automatically transferred and reassembled aboard the new freighter.
  • A new option has been added to the freighter upgrade terminal that allows players to reset their freighter base back to the default layout.
  • A new component recipe research station has been added to the Space Anomaly. This terminal allows the research of component recipes in exchange for nanites. Planetary factories and harvesters will still offer component recipes as exploration rewards.
  • Pinning instructions will now advise players to visit the Space Anomaly to unlock recipes they do not have access to.
  • Pinning instructions will now advise players to purchase components from the Space Station if the player does not know the recipe and components are easy to purchase.
  • Fixed a rare instance of an untranslated ERROR string in the popups for the research trees.
  • Added an error message when attempting to research a recipe before its parent is unlocked.
  • The UI for the Appearance Modifier and other customisation interactions has been overhauled and visually refreshed.
  • Inventory tabs and sub-tabs now feature a small icon to show that a new item has been placed in that inventory.
  • The UI displayed when receiving blueprints for several components at the same time has been improved and now shows all parts in the bundle.
  • On PC, keybinds can now be cleared by re-assigning the same key to the same action.
  • Significantly increased the freedom of the third person ship camera, so that players can rotate around the ship while in flight.
  • Introduced an alternative and varying camera angle while using the pulse engine in third person.
  • Introduced a fuel gauge to the notifications area while using the pulse engine in third person.
  • The ship cockpit 3D map now correctly displays Atlas Stations and Black Holes.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the ship cockpit 3D map to feature a space station in systems where no station was present.
  • Improved the clarity of the messaging in the Quicksilver Synthesis Companion shop.
  • Improved the clarity of the messaging when unable to redeem particular rewards during an Expedition.
  • Added a warning message if attempting to undertake an expedition without an online-enabled account (Expeditions do not require paid online accounts, but a connection needs to be made to the NMS Discovery Server to initially download the relevant data before beginning the expedition).
  • Fixed an issue that caused some non-extreme planets to be labelled as extreme.
  • Fixed a number of instances where icons were missing from the mission notification.
  • Fixed an issue that caused several minor UI elements to be incorrectly offset at 3200×1800 resolution.
  • Fixed an issue that caused a thin white line to be drawn around an inventory slot as it expands.
  • Fixed an issue that overlaid two markers if a building has been visited but also has an active mission marker.

OTHER BUG FIXES & OPTIMISATIONS

• Fixed a crash related to downloaded bases from other players.
  • Introduced a minor optimisation related to instanced props on planets.
  • Introduced a lighting optimisation on Xbox One X.
  • Introduced a significant number of shader optimisations.
  • Fixed a PC-specific issue that could cause slow streaming.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause hitching on PC and next-gen consoles.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could cause NPCs to offer the same interaction repeatedly.
  • Fixed an issue that reversed the intended order of a specific interaction with a Korvax found at a planetary debris site.
  • The rewards given by NPCs while practising language skills or repairing their damaged starships have been rebalanced to be more generous.
  • The construction cost of Ion Batteries has been reduced.
  • The construction cost of several Quicksilver reward items have been reduced.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incorrect and unbuildable duplicate foundation and door pieces to appear in the blueprint research tree and catalogue.
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues with large rooms.
  • Fixed a number of desynchronisation issues with Nexus mission destination markers.
  • Fixed a number of desynchronisation issues with Nexus pirate missions.
  • Increased the number of potential corrupted Sentinel encounters during some Nexus missions.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent the SSV Normandy SR1 frigate reward from being redeemed if it was first redeemed before acquiring a capital ship.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause Expedition One save games to be reactivated as expeditions after the expedition had finished.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur during the transition from an expedition save to a normal mode save at the end of an expedition.
  • Fixed an issue that caused black holes to always take players to the expedition start system during an expedition.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause NPC ships to land on top of each other at outposts.
  • Adjusted the landing pads at Planetary Archives so that ships do not take off and crash into the building.
  • Farmable crops planted in your base no longer collide with players, for ease of navigation.
  • Fixed an issue that caused an untranslated string to appear for a short time while joining a Nexus mission.
  • Fixed a number of text formatting issues.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the tracking audio to be played repeatedly after a mission target was discovered using a Target Sweep.
  • Bespoke UI audio has been added to the companion customisation page.
  • Fixed a rendering issue that could cause dark spots to appear on the terrain.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a seam to be visible in the planetary atmosphere.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the cursor to appear during dialogue choices while using VR with a pad.
  • Target sweeping and hotspot detection in VR now uses the Multi-Tool as the pointer.
  • Fixed an issue that could block other players from using some interactions after repairing a cargo pod salvaged from a planetary crashed freighter.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause some players to have zero charge on a technology upgrade but no way to recharge it.

.. plus a new Experimental update today

Experimental Branch 02/06
  • Added support for reflections on PC VR.
  • Improved the appearance of rain.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause missing or corrupted text in the Analysis Visor on the Space Anomaly or derelict freighters.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause stars to disappear when looking out the side of the ship in VR.
  • Fixed some mistranslated text in the ByteBeat Library.

Favorite thing listed for this update - buying a new freighter transferring your upgrades off your old one onto the new one. I've passed up picking up new freighters several times on my main save because I didn't want to have to rebuild all the lost stuff.

Yes that was a good addition, though I am going to back up saves before trying it in case there is any loss to expansion of the amount of inventory slots .. which may additionally lose a handful of those special Freighter upgrades you get off of Derelicts. Fingers crossed it doesn't, so much time invested in getting those, but it wouldn't be the first time things like that go a bit Pete Tong after an update.

I'm very happy with the type of Freighter I have, but there is one style I wouldn't mind having a go at getting as an S Class, the one with the spherical bow which reminds me of 2001 a space odyssey.

One update which baffles me ..

"The Space Station hangar bay now features an automated Space Station Controller to monitor traffic and ensure smooth station operations."

There is a greyed out option 1 on the console for it.

It also reports 95% on flight management .. Is that Hellogames excuse for incoming NPC starships always clipping the walls of the entrance tunnel?

Weird but probably something to do with upcoming updates still to be implemented. :shrug:

I bought this game at release, but stopped playing when everything was about multi-player and nothing else, and I just can't stand multi-player.  Is there a way to play the game SP yet, and if so would it be worth doing so?  Trying SP (by just ignoring everyone) after one of those big updates it just seemed I had no real purpose to do anything other than to just do it.  There were goals to get your base set up, but after doing that I never wanted to leave the planet since I didn't want to start over somewhere else.

So I'm curious, what keeps people playing the game now?

Yes, SP is definitely worth your time. I never play in MP and I've had a blast with this game since buying it. There's something that's just very relaxing about the whole thing.

You can totally disable all multiplayer aspects of the game so that it's just you, even on one of the new Expedition missions.

I keep coming back because the new stuff they add to it makes it enough of a new experience that I can pick up from where my long lasting save left off and just go do stuff again. I guess in that respect it's a lot like TES games - you always find something new you missed before.

Yep I play mostly SP too, I have dabbled in playing while there are limited Expeditions being offered (purely just to get the rewards, extra decorations / ships etc) then revert to playing SP.

Its as simple as you want to make it, go into the Net settings and disable everything, for Expeditions I just leave the top MP option on with all else disabled, then on completion switch that off ..

.. If you want to be fully SP with no connection to Hellogames servers, dont launch the game client (Steam or GOG Galaxy), and just launch the game from its NMS.exe in the binaries folder, right click and send an icon to the desktop.

Having the GOG version you can also install it without GOG Galaxy, by just downloading the manual Offline Installer. One caveat with this method at the moment, the Quicksilver Bot in the Anomaly Nexus sells lots of items for exchange of Quicksilver, his list of items has been updated recently (the Next update) to include most of them even for completely offline players (we can now get a Void Egg for the Living Ship without having to be online), BUT your game needs to have had at least just one sniff of being online before the Quicksilver Missions become available (otherwise getting Quicksilver is a very slow process of randomly coming across Space Encounters which give Quicksilver, Condensed Stellar Ice). So these days I install it with GOG Galaxy, launch it with the same to give it a sniff of the servers, then play it mostly by launching directly from the NMS.exe without GOG Galaxy running. This way I can dip into my limited MP settings game for Expeditions.

Some newer Quicksilver bought items which are included as rewards for the weekend Community research missions will also not show up on the list of items for sale until you have let the game have a sniff of the servers again and saved afterwards before continuing in SP Offline play.

------------------------------------------------------

What keeps me interested :

I'm the same as Arthmoor and enjoy the game for being a chill experience, over the years since 2016 the content has greatly expanded, and diversity of Flora / Fauna / Biomes / Discoverable Space Encounters give a lot more eye candy for the journey, and being able to make a mobile base out of your Freighter has now expanded a lot too with the rewards you can get from Derelict Frieghters in space, getting all of those at S Class is a veeery slow process, even for the most dedicated players.

It's mostly still a completionist game once you get past the main missions in SP (some aspects of those have changed over the years), amazingly after all this time I have still not got to the Centre, I have been to other galaxies via entering Portal coord's but right now am still on the venture to the centre in Euclid onboard my Freighter ( Star Trek Voyager style exploring, I just beam down my Exxocraft when needed on any particular planet after casing it out with whichever starship i choose to fly down in :) ). Still discovering flora / fauna I have never seen before.

I'm hoping Hellogames will incorporate a very long term hook mission at some point, suggested a UFO mission recently which is as long as getting to the Centre of a Galaxy, and will start in whatever Galaxy you are in. Just to give the game an extra very long term goal to spur on the exploration. See what happens I guess, HG are still pumping out large updates.

I took a break recently to have a go at replacing my old and far left behind wooden shack, with something a bit better and a bit closer to current travels on a more scenic planet, bed is underwater for a more relaxing snooze, but this will not be holding me back from getting to the centre :), favourite Exxocraft is the Nomad, you can jump out of it and go for a swim anywhere on the oceans ..

WPZk49P.png

4WP71NC.png

Yey7mqK.png

SC7zmWZ.png

The experimental went live as v3.51 ..

New experimental update is in beta :

Experimental Branch 04/06
  • Significantly improved and streamlined the freighter upgrade control menu, which includes access to the options to reset the freighter base.
  • Improvements to ensure more consistent behaviour across the different photo mode settings.
  • Made a change so the cockpit remains visible when transitioning to the Galaxy Map in VR.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the transition to play twice when entering a vehicle in PSVR.
  • Improved the appearance of the UI in VR when using a refiner or performing a maintenance interaction.
  • Fixed some clipping text in the inventory screen in VR.
  • Added a popup for players running outdated drivers on compatible NVIDIA RTX cards, encouraging a driver update in order to enable DLSS support.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause photomode screenshots to appear black with DLSS enabled.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent mission notifications from displaying.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent build menu tutorial hints from displaying.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented display of the player's balance of Salvaged Data when using research trees, such as the Construction Research Station aboard the Space Anomaly.
  • Updated the in-game patch notes to reflect the Prisms update.

Experimental Branch 07/06
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent the SSV Normandy SR1 frigate reward from being redeemed if it was first redeemed with a full fleet, or before acquiring a freighter.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause music to stop playing in the Space Anomaly and photo mode.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause the death quote screen to display at the incorrect size when running with DLSS enabled.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause some planets to not look wet during ambient rain.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause photo mode screenshots to get cut off in VR when running with DLSS enabled.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the stars on some planets to appear overly large with some resolutions and DLSS quality settings.

v3.53 public (seemed to be no Experimental beta for this one as its just more fixes)

https://www.nomanssky.com/2021/06/prisms-patch-3-53/

Patch Notes

• Fixed an issue that could cause some furry creatures to be missing the hologram effect when on the Space Anomaly.
  • Improved ship explosion effect during space combat.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause stars to appear closer than they should in VR.
  • Fixed a rare crash related to bases.

• 1 month later...

NMS "Frontiers" has been announced ..

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/08/09/as-no-mans-sky-celebrates-its-fifth-anniversary-hello-games-reflects-on-the-journey-so-far/

Five years ago today we launched No Man’s Sky. For the first time we watched players all over the world begin to explore the universe we had created. It was a nerve-wracking moment and the culmination of five years of very hard work for our tiny team (the average team size was just 6, and at launch was just 15).

We knew this was the start of a journey, but never expected what a wild ride it would be. Today we’d like to take a moment to appreciate this milestone together. It hasn’t always been easy, but the thing that has been our guiding star throughout has been the players and the community. Behind every update, every video, every feature and line in a patch note is a team that cares so deeply for this game.

As No Man’s Sky celebrates its fifth anniversary, Hello Games reflects on the journey so far
Our journey continues with the announcement of Frontiers, our next major free update. This is just another step on our voyage and is coming soon.

Watching that video even the team is surprised by just how much No Man’s Sky has changed over the years, but also how close it has stuck to that central vision of building a universe to explore.

As I look back, I think of the big moments throughout development.

Our journey really started from the moment we stepped out nervously on the Sony stage at E3 2014 to share the first gameplay of our ambitious project. It was months after we had our office flooded, and it felt like a small triumph to still be standing as a team.

The years before and after launch are one big blur, but some updates really stand out as milestones. 

It’s hard to imagine how we launched so many major updates so close to launch. Foundations launched around 10 weeks after the main game, introducing Base Building for the first time. Base building is now such an integral part of No Man’s Sky, but it felt unexpected at the time. Foundations really became the foundation for how the next few years would take shape.

No Man’s Sky Next was an inflection point. It felt almost like a new game launch and brought multiplayer to PlayStation players in 2018. The reaction of the community continues to motivate us years later.

In 2019, as just one part of the large Beyond update, we brought the whole game to PlayStation VR. Built from the ground up, travellers could experience the wonders of the universe in fully realised virtual reality as a free update. It was the moment I felt I could see the game with fresh eyes, to really step into this universe we had created with a new perspective.

I really didn’t have that feeling again until 2020, at the launch of PlayStation 5, we were able to be there with an enhanced, ultra version of the game, as another free upgrade. Seeing the game with a new beautiful makeover, running on next generation hardware, was a real moment for the team.

And finally, as we push forward to 2021, our next update Frontiers is something I’m very excited about. In some ways it is just another update, but in other ways it’s a missing piece of the sci-fi fantasy that we’ve always wanted to add, and very fitting for our fifth anniversary.

There is still a lot we want to try, so much we are still excited for. The next step on that journey is not far off. We’ll have more to share on Frontiers with travellers very soon.

We want to thank everyone who has travelled with us so far, and those that have still to join this ambitious voyage.

Our journey continues.

• 4 weeks later...

Sean Murray on twitter ..

"Frontiers will be our 17th major update, in amongst hundreds of smaller hotfixes and patches

This is just another update for us, another step, and there's more to come.

We're excited for what it allows us to do in future Eyes"

Just no stopping them :)

Standby for bugs and a couple of weeks of updates, but ..

.. Apparently (going by steam NMS forum) Frontiers = Settlements

Damn, I was hoping for an exploration of space overhaul, instead it will be more little diversions and reasons to stagnate on a planet.

But at least there are more base parts to mess with. Hopefully some bug fixes like foundation legs not disappearing.

How long before a town gets covered in earth? :D

.. Still waiting for a news article.

https://www.nomanssky.com/frontiers-update/

Have a look there for more detail, just the patch notes in the spoiler below.

3.6 PATCH NOTES

SETTLEMENTS

• Procedurally generated planetary settlements can be now found on inhabited planets all across the universe.
  • Settlements are found naturally via a new mission that occurs after a small amount of post-tutorial progress.
  • Settlements can also be found with maps purchased from the Space Station Cartographer.
  • Mission Board missions that involve locating NPCs can also take players to settlements.
  • Players may submit their credentials to the monument at the heart of the settlement. If accepted by the citizens, they will become Overseer of the settlement and may choose its name.
  • Every settlement and its layout is unique. Each building is procedurally generated, using only parts available for player base building.
  • Settlement status can be seen and managed from the central monument. Once players have constructed their Overseer’s Office, they can also manage the settlement from the terminal in their office.
  • Settlements have five key stats: productivity, population, happiness, upkeep costs, and Sentinel alert level.
  • Improve their stats by researching new technologies, attracting new settlers to the town, constructing new buildings, setting settlement policies, and more!
  • Settlements where productivity is higher than its upkeep will generate valuable products for its Overseer to claim for themselves. Higher class settlements will produce more valuable goods.
  • Settlements can fall into debt, for example after commissioning an expensive new piece of technology. Debt is automatically repaid from surplus production. While settlements are in debt, the Overseer may not claim the extra products.
  • Key stat bonuses are awarded in the form of settlement features.
  • Strong features will replace weaker ones. Once the settlement is at the feature limit, weaker features will be awarded as stat bonuses and will not replace a better feature.
  • Over time, the Overseer will be called upon to make decisions. A new Settlers mission has been added to the log to help keep track of these requests. This mission will alert Overseers whenever they are required.
  • Every few hours, the Overseer may be requested to make a decision. These range from greeting strangers, to resolving crimes, to setting settlement policies and research goals.
  • These decisions will help shape your settlement into a thriving town. However, be sure to monitor the Sentinel alert level. This will rise slowly over time, and may trigger an attack on the settlement. The Overseer must be ready to defend their people!
  • The settlement’s citizens will wander the town according to their routines. Their mood is influenced by the overall happiness of the settlement, as well as their own reactions to your decisions.
  • Any settler may be inspected to glimpse a view at their current thoughts.
  • Other settlers will display their thoughts as they wander, allowing the Overseer an insight into the inner lives of their citizens.
  • Opportunities to choose a new building to construct will arise frequently. Choose which buildings to prioritise and make your settlement unique.
  • Once a decision has been made at the terminal in the Overseer’s Office, a construction site will be placed in the settlement. Visit the site and supply resources to fuel construction.
  • Completing the construction of buildings will also award stat bonuses.

BASE BUILDING

• The base building menu has been replaced by a new grid of all available parts.
  • The grid allows a quick and easy preview of all existing parts, as well as offering quick access to part selection.
  • From the grid, players can select a part to place or go straight to edit mode.
  • In placement mode, players now have quick access to scale, colour, material and rotation options.
  • In placement mode, players can quickly cycle between related parts, or can return to the parts grid to choose their next construction module.
  • A new ‘free placement’ mode has been added. This disables snapping and allows parts to intersect with each other and still be valid to place. It also allows players to freely place parts in mid-air.
  • From placement mode, or direct from the parts grid, players can enter Edit mode and adjust any existing parts. Simply target the part and select the appropriate option.
  • From edit mode, parts can be duplicated for rapid construction.
  • Or, pick up a part to fine tune it before putting it back in place.
  • Over 250 new base building parts have been added, from decorative to structural.
  • Three new construction sets have been added – timber, stone, and alloy. While still versatile and easy to snap, these new sets are much higher detail and more visually diverse than the previous basic sets.
  • These sets replace the old wood, concrete and metal sets. The older sets are no longer available to learn, but will be kept for existing players.
  • Players who have already researched pieces from the old sets will be awarded parts from the new set for free. The new sets are significantly larger, so be sure to visit the Construction Research Station on the Space Anomaly to browse the full set.
  • The new sets are context-aware and will automatically adjust their visuals to suit their position within a building. For example, walls placed at the top of a multi-storey building may add extra trim to their tops, while walls placed at the bottom may feature extra support beams.
  • The Exocraft signal boosters can now locate Trade Outposts.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the Galactic Trade Terminal from being placed on basic wall pieces.
  • The Galactic Trade Terminal no longer needs power to function in player bases.
  • A number of deprecated and unusable base parts have been removed from the research trees.
  • Signal Boosters are no longer limited to one per region.

VISUAL IMPROVEMENTS

• Space skies have been significantly improved, with all-new visuals for generating nebula effects.
  • Visual effects across the entire game have been significantly improved – destruction, environmental, combat and much more.
  • The mode select screen has been updated with a new set of images from the community. Thank you to all the dedicated No Man’s Sky photographers!
  • Fixed an issue that caused a single black frame during a teleport.
  • Fixed a number of rendering issues with stars in VR.

SAVE STREAMING

• The save/load system has been overhauled.
  • On console, each save is now treated as its own object, rather than all five save slots being bundled together.
  • All existing saves have been automatically backed up.
  • A number of crashes that could occur when saving or loading large and lengthy savegames have been fixed.
  • The number of possible save slots has been increased from five to fifteen. The save select screen now supports scrolling to see additional slots/start a new game.
  • The number of discoveries that can be saved locally without uploading has been doubled.
  • Any non-consumable Quicksilver rewards, such as gestures and base building parts, are no longer save slot specific and can be used across all save slots once purchased.
  • Cross-save Expedition rewards, Titles, and Catalogue data will now be cloud synced along with other save data.
  • Multiple users on the same PC and Windows login will no longer share Expedition rewards, Titles, and Catalogue data.

OTHER IMPROVEMENTS

• On the Discovery screen, improved the clarity of the button that is used to register completion of all creature discoveries on a planet.
  • The reward for discovering all creatures on the planet has been significantly increased.
  • The clarity of the end-of-expedition countdown has been improved.
  • Season Three will begin soon, and will bring an exciting range of new rewards…

BUG FIXES

• Fixed a number of mission issues related to other players discovering the target creatures/plants/minerals.
  • Fixed a number of issues where matchmaking with players who had adjusted their clocks would cause the Expedition to end prematurely.
  • Fixed a number of issues that could prevent players from landing despite the location being valid.
  • Fixed an issue that made it difficult to hover-select the final Expedition patch.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the text on the expedition start splash screen to overlap in VR.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed players to start a new Expedition without updating their client to the correct version.
  • Fixed a number of mix issues with Bytebeat and background music.
  • Fixed an animation issue that could occur when stroking a companion immediately before mounting them.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the collision detection for biological horrors to be far too small.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented jetpack trail names from appearing if they had not been unlocked.
  • Fixed a number of camera issues that could occur when using a planetary chart while inside an Exocraft.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some buildings and bases to be labelled incorrectly when entering them.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to take hazard damage if their hazard protection was drained but they were no longer in the active hazard.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some markers to have a “time to walk here” estimate despite being on another planet.
  • Fixed a rare crash on Xbox that could prevent players from loading into the game.

4 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Damn, I was hoping for an exploration of space overhaul, instead it will be more little diversions and reasons to stagnate on a planet.

Okay let me ask you this.  I've had NMS since it's release (I pre-ordered) and really stopped playing after MP was added as it seems all updates were for that.  To that point the game was basically about getting to the middle, for little more reason than to do so.

Later I tried again and worked on a few of the early missions, and built myself a small base.  BUT in order to move on I would have to leave my base ... which didn't make a whole lot of sense to me since I just spent all that time building a base (even adding an NPC), and now I jump in my ship and leave?

Now there's a ton of things we can do on a planet.  But what is the incentive?  I mean if I pick a nice planet with a nice environment I can 'live' there, build a home, and now maybe even build a NPC settlement, and then what?  Or I can just forget planet building stuff and just mine planets for resources and move to the next system ... but for what?

What I miss in this game is a reason to play.  I mean if everything I do becomes meaningless as soon as I move on, then why am I doing it?  That's what kind of bothers me.  I kind of what to play again, just start a new game, see what's there from the very start, but what's my goal anymore?  I could build a nice home, vehicles, get large pets, etc., and then I just ... leave and start over?  I'm missing something.

I will probably give the game another go soon as I just don't know if I can play Skyrim again.  But just kind of trying to imagine what I'd be doing if I do.

Yep thats pretty much it, thats why I wish they would do an update that provides some kind of long term pull beyond the centre.

Bases and the new Settlements to me are just more fluff to go and look at along the way, maybe dabble in a little, depends what mood I am in, its just more toys really for anyone not wishing to do long term exploration to play with. I have enjoyed base building a few times (and no doubt will while away some more hours dabbling with the new building parts) but the game for me is what it was sold as way back when, Exploration.

Unfortunately for us who have been around from the start taking onboard Hellogames promises and the initial description, these days they seem to only listen to the masses cries for more pointless toys which dont further the incentive to explore.

Apparently though there are more updates to come, so fingers crossed they will get back to the core reason for us playing. Ever hopeful.

What keeps me interested :

I'm the same as Arthmoor and enjoy the game for being a chill experience, over the years since 2016 the content has greatly expanded, and diversity of Flora / Fauna / Biomes / Discoverable Space Encounters give a lot more eye candy for the journey, and being able to make a mobile base out of your Freighter has now expanded a lot too with the rewards you can get from Derelict Frieghters in space, getting all of those at S Class is a veeery slow process, even for the most dedicated players.

It's mostly still a completionist game once you get past the main missions in SP (some aspects of those have changed over the years), amazingly after all this time I have still not got to the Centre, I have been to other galaxies via entering Portal coord's but right now am still on the venture to the centre in Euclid onboard my Freighter ( Star Trek Voyager style exploring, I just beam down my Exxocraft when needed on any particular planet after casing it out with whichever starship i choose to fly down in :) ). Still discovering flora / fauna I have never seen before.

I'm hoping Hellogames will incorporate a very long term hook mission at some point, suggested a UFO mission recently which is as long as getting to the Centre of a Galaxy, and will start in whatever Galaxy you are in. Just to give the game an extra very long term goal to spur on the exploration. See what happens I guess, HG are still pumping out large updates.

At its heart, NMS is a sandbox "do whatever you want" game. There's loads to do now, base building being among them, but there's also a good deal of things to find and play around with in space as well.

There's a story arc to follow for the Atlas too, which is more or less the "main quest". Obviously you don't NEED to do this but it's there and would be a "purpose".

NMS isn't really any different from any other sandbox builder. Yes, you'll spend time on base building, and yes, you'll up and leave one day, but this isn't any different from how most of these types of games work. Nothing says you have to go, but at some point you'll want t even if it's just to see what's out there. Which is something the game excels at now, giving you things to find and do out there.

Now, for me, I see this new settlement system as an absolute win. This has been an area the game has been seriously lacking in for a long time. "Settlements" prior to this consisted of a single building with an NPC or two and not much else. Huge planets with barely a blip on them. I'm hoping that at some point this new system is extended to be able to build space stations of your own as well. Cause I'd love nothing more than to be able to take over an entire star system, not just one planet.

I really hope they intend to do something about not being able to mark places on your map to find them again easily or it may be you fly over one of these places, don't want to bother at the time, and then be unable to find it later like so many other things.

• Like 2

Experimental branch already .. https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3044984779763588501/

• Fixed a crash related to creature and NPC locomotion.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from starting new fleet expeditions or purchasing new frigates.
  • Fixed a number of issues that caused visual changes related to power to fail to display.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented refiners from correctly snapping to large base rooms.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented some large base parts from correctly snapping to each other.
  • Fixed an issue that caused NPC animations to display in unnecessarily low detail at a distance.
  • Fixed a number of visual glitches with dust effects.
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues with new canopy parts.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause NPCs to walk through doors.

• Fixed a number of cases of missing or incorrect text.
  • Fixed a rare physics-related crash.
  • Fixed a rare crash related to settlement NPC behaviours.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause ships to land on incomplete landing pads in settlements.
  • Fixed an issue that could caused settlement buildings to fail to complete when their timer had finished.
  • Fixed a number of collision issues with street lights in settlements.
  • Fixed a rare rendering-related crash.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when re-visiting a planetary settlement while a freighter base was spawned nearby.

18 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

At its heart, NMS is a sandbox "do whatever you want" game. There's loads to do now, base building being among them, but there's also a good deal of things to find and play around with in space as well.

There's a story arc to follow for the Atlas too, which is more or less the "main quest". Obviously you don't NEED to do this but it's there and would be a "purpose".

NMS isn't really any different from any other sandbox builder. Yes, you'll spend time on base building, and yes, you'll up and leave one day, but this isn't any different from how most of these types of games work. Nothing says you have to go, but at some point you'll want t even if it's just to see what's out there. Which is something the game excels at now, giving you things to find and do out there.

Now, for me, I see this new settlement system as an absolute win. This has been an area the game has been seriously lacking in for a long time. "Settlements" prior to this consisted of a single building with an NPC or two and not much else. Huge planets with barely a blip on them. I'm hoping that at some point this new system is extended to be able to build space stations of your own as well. Cause I'd love nothing more than to be able to take over an entire star system, not just one planet.

I really hope they intend to do something about not being able to mark places on your map to find them again easily or it may be you fly over one of these places, don't want to bother at the time, and then be unable to find it later like so many other things.

I have never played this game so a little enlightenment would help, how does taking over a star system work. Do you plant a flag build some stuff and get a few NPC’s then clear off and do some thing else then return and nothing has changed or does the settlement gather resources and grow following the type of settlement you have built. Developing a star system into some kind of AI controlled unit that has an effect on the galaxy as a whole. Possibly building a sphere of influence over several star systems. If so I might give it a go, I realy loved the old Star Trek game birth of the federation.

No, right now there is no such mechanic in place. You can't take over a planet or anything in such a way that the game will recognize it's yours instead of one of the 3 existing races.

When I said "take over" it was basically in a loose sense. I'd like to be able to build space bases and all that, but you can't do that right now and it's not clear if that's ever going to be a thing. But then it was never a thing for you to be able to take over a settlement with the system they've just announced either so who knows.