No Mans Sky - Update

alt3rn1ty

```Fixed an issue that caused some electromagnetic power hotspots to supply less power than before.``` Oh good, I wondered what was up with that on one of my resource depot bases. Which also happens to be buried halfway into the ground despite the 3.0.1 patch. Sent them a bug report with saves for that. I hope they don't now ignore it because they think they fixed it.

I ran into one of the new planetary archive things while testing near my bases. Pretty cool. Makes me wish we could get base building parts to make proper cities with now.

10 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

~ Which also happens to be buried halfway into the ground despite the 3.0.1 patch. ~

That might be fixed aswell now in the latest experimental patch last night ..

"

• Fixed an issue that caused some buildings to move, which could result in missions leading to distant buildings or in bases being buried under the terrain.

"

Fingers crossed for you.

I went to have a look at my old start missions wooden shack, just out of curiosity to see if that planet had been affected in any way. Besides having a few bits of new flora and the atmospherics being better, the base was not affected. But then I haven't been to visit it prior to last nights patch so it could have been affected in the last couple of days but I was unaware.

I have seen a Vykeen version of the Archive buildings, yet to see any other race variations, but yeah parts from those would be good for bases. No doubt the modding community one day will be utilising resources in new ways.

------------------------------

You might remember I have been holding off to see if I could find a Void Egg anywhere else outside of the Quicksilver shop for players who are completely Offline, which proved fruitless as suspected.

Well then they made Origins with Swamp like planets and Xeno Colony planets (the style of the flora on the latter looks very much like living ships, with that slimy crawling animation on its surface). Checked them out and haven't found any wild Void Eggs so ..

Sometime recently and before last nights patch, I found that they have updated the GOG No Man's Sky page to include a disclaimer it has not had before :

https://www.gog.com/game/no_mans_sky

Please note: The GOG Galaxy Client is required to access online features for No Man's Sky.

The game features online components introduced in updates (SYNTHESIS, BYTEBEAT, LIVING SHIP, EXO MECH, CROSSPLAY, DESOLATION and ORIGINS) that require Internet connection.

Cross-platform multiplayer is supported.

Given that, I gave up on the idea that HG would one day allow offline players to have a Void Egg as part of the default list of items in the QS store, and decided it's time for me to let the game go online and get the QuickSilver shop items populated, and start enjoying having some of the more desireable items like Bobbleheads and Starship Engine trails ..

.. and then last nights patch happened

"

• Fixed an issue that prevented items from unlocking in the Quicksilver shop.

"

So now I am wondering if that means they botched the normal list of items showing up, or would an offline player now get Void Eggs :facepalm:

:lmao: Bugger it, I cant be arsed going round the buoy again just to see, I want to just enjoy the game now.

----------------------

Anyway, did you know that those bobbleheads have hidden qualities ?, and they have adjacent synergy with other items such as engine trails?

Bobbleheads

Apollo - ship gun damage

Artemis - boost

Atlas - jump distance

Nada - launcher takeoff cost

Null - ship shield

Polo - boost maneuverability

Install one of those in your ships inventory. But also you can buff them further with having other QS items in an adjacent slot

GeFqcY8.png

I'm still in the process of expanding the ships slots so haven't much room to play with at the moment, but you can see the highlighted border indicating them have adjacent slot bonuses.

I can't tell how much has been buffed, Artemis buffs Boost which is not a stat the game shows, but nice to know there is more to discover about these items :)

Experimental had another fix today

Experimental Branch Update 28/09
  • Fixed an issue that caused the build menu to be inaccessible after going through a portal as part of a mission. This issue could previously be worked around by saving and reloading the game.

Another experimental is up ..

Experimental Branch 30/09
  • Fixed an issue that allowed the personal forcefield to activate while using the Analysis Visor.
  • Fixed an issue that caused a different mission to be selected when moving from one step of the Artemis story to another.
  • Increased the likelihood of meteor showers on dead planets.
  • Fixed an issue that caused an occasional checkerboard pattern to appear on the terrain on frozen and volcanic worlds.
  • Fixed a number of audio issues with creatures.
  • Improved the controls in Photo Mode, adding acceleration to the camera movement to allow more fine-tuned adjustments.
  • Added the ability to tilt the camera in Photo Mode.
  • Fixed an issue that caused screenshots taken in Photo Mode to be cropped to the wrong FOV.
  • Weather warning decals are no longer visible in Photo Mode.
  • Fixed an issue that caused vegetation and other planetary items to be spread too thin when viewed at a distance.
  • Fixed an occasional visual glitch that caused stretched polygons in the grass.
  • Improved the icon for the Data Packet.
  • Fix an issue that caused the Vy'keen smuggler to only say 'Grah!'
  • Fixed an issue on PC that prevented base thumbnails from showing in the teleporter.
  • When using the Analysis Visor, more distant markers are now shown slightly faded out.
  • In Photo Mode, props will now be shown at the highest possible detail setting.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to very occasionally warp into a system inside a planet.
  • Fixed an number of flickering issues present when using DoF controls in Photo Mode.
  • Fixed an issue that made it difficult to summon the starship on some planets.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incorrect discovery counts to appear on planets where nothing had been discovered.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Local Information Register to display the system name as the planet name and vice versa.
  • Exchanging an artefact at a Planetary Archive vault now correctly awards standing with the relevant faction.
  • Fixed an issue that blocked other players from using the vaults at the Planetary Archives in multiplayer.
  • Virtual keyboard is now supported in Steam VR.
  • Fixed a number of clipping issues in the UI.
  • Fixed a number of text issues.
  • Fixed an issue where using the Steam VR desktop overlay would spin the game camera.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incorrect thumbnails to display on the Discovery Page.
  • Opening the Discovery Page immediately after discovering something now correctly takes you straight to the details of that discovery.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the discovery thumbnail in the Analysis Visor to occasionally appear corrupted.
  • Fixed an issue that caused oxygen plants and carbon crystals to award too much of their substance on some planets.
  • Fixed an issue that caused distant thunder audio to only play occasionally.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some creatures to appear at an incorrect position or scale when viewed on the Discovery page.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some flying creatures to be classified as 'Ground' by the Discovery Page.
  • Fixed an issue that caused jellyfish to face the wrong way while swimming.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented teleporter destinations from other galaxies from being visible on the teleport page.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some PC users with Windows hardware acceleration enabled to only see a white screen on boot.
  • Fixed a number of audio and rumble issues with the Sandworm in multiplayer.
  • Improved the displacement effect on vegetation when it is pushed by the player or creatures.
  • Fixed a rare softlock that could occur when entering the ship at the moment you die.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause poor framerate on PC VR.

Another experimental is up ..

Experimental Branch 30/09
  • Fixed an issue that allowed the personal forcefield to activate while using the Analysis Visor.
  • Fixed an issue that caused a different mission to be selected when moving from one step of the Artemis story to another.
  • Increased the likelihood of meteor showers on dead planets.
  • Fixed an issue that caused an occasional checkerboard pattern to appear on the terrain on frozen and volcanic worlds.
  • Fixed a number of audio issues with creatures.
  • Improved the controls in Photo Mode, adding acceleration to the camera movement to allow more fine-tuned adjustments.
  • Added the ability to tilt the camera in Photo Mode.
  • Fixed an issue that caused screenshots taken in Photo Mode to be cropped to the wrong FOV.
  • Weather warning decals are no longer visible in Photo Mode.
  • Fixed an issue that caused vegetation and other planetary items to be spread too thin when viewed at a distance.
  • Fixed an occasional visual glitch that caused stretched polygons in the grass.
  • Improved the icon for the Data Packet.
  • Fix an issue that caused the Vy'keen smuggler to only say 'Grah!'
  • Fixed an issue on PC that prevented base thumbnails from showing in the teleporter.
  • When using the Analysis Visor, more distant markers are now shown slightly faded out.
  • In Photo Mode, props will now be shown at the highest possible detail setting.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to very occasionally warp into a system inside a planet.
  • Fixed an number of flickering issues present when using DoF controls in Photo Mode.
  • Fixed an issue that made it difficult to summon the starship on some planets.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incorrect discovery counts to appear on planets where nothing had been discovered.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Local Information Register to display the system name as the planet name and vice versa.
  • Exchanging an artefact at a Planetary Archive vault now correctly awards standing with the relevant faction.
  • Fixed an issue that blocked other players from using the vaults at the Planetary Archives in multiplayer.
  • Virtual keyboard is now supported in Steam VR.
  • Fixed a number of clipping issues in the UI.
  • Fixed a number of text issues.
  • Fixed an issue where using the Steam VR desktop overlay would spin the game camera.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incorrect thumbnails to display on the Discovery Page.
  • Opening the Discovery Page immediately after discovering something now correctly takes you straight to the details of that discovery.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the discovery thumbnail in the Analysis Visor to occasionally appear corrupted.
  • Fixed an issue that caused oxygen plants and carbon crystals to award too much of their substance on some planets.
  • Fixed an issue that caused distant thunder audio to only play occasionally.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some creatures to appear at an incorrect position or scale when viewed on the Discovery page.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some flying creatures to be classified as 'Ground' by the Discovery Page.
  • Fixed an issue that caused jellyfish to face the wrong way while swimming.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented teleporter destinations from other galaxies from being visible on the teleport page.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some PC users with Windows hardware acceleration enabled to only see a white screen on boot.
  • Fixed a number of audio and rumble issues with the Sandworm in multiplayer.
  • Improved the displacement effect on vegetation when it is pushed by the player or creatures.
  • Fixed a rare softlock that could occur when entering the ship at the moment you die.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause poor framerate on PC VR.

Experimental Branch 01/10
  • Fixed an issue that caused frozen dead worlds to report overly warm temperatures.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause your ship to teleport inside buildings when visiting bases.
  • Trader ships that land on the planet's surface will now crush any objects they land on.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the Photo Mode cloud coverage option to be unavailable on some planets.
  • Fixed an issue that caused items awarded by the Planetary Archive vaults to change rarity after save/load.
  • Fixed a number of minor errors in interactions.
  • Players may now use the back-out button to select the 'Leave' option in an interaction.

Another update, just VR stuff this time

Experimental Branch 05/10
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from using the Multi-Tool upgrade terminal in VR.
  • Additional fixes to provide a smoother framerate in VR.

• 3 weeks later...

Halloween Update is live, I think they skipped a version, went from 3.03 to 3.05, but anyway ..

https://www.nomanssky.com/2020/10/halloween-update/

More reading at the above link, apparently there will be more news soon

Patch notes :

3.05 Patch Notes

• Derelict freighters have been rebalanced for increased challenge.
  • Low temperatures are more extreme, security systems are tougher and more efficient at locating intruders, aliens are more aggressive, and all hostile lifeforms are more difficult to defeat.
  • Added the possibility of looting Quicksilver to derelict freighters. This will be available for the next few weeks.

• The scrap dealer on Space Stations now stocks a range of base parts, decals, banners and a Horrific Flesh-Helmet.
  • The scrap dealer now trades in a new black market currency, Tainted Metal, which can be salvaged from derelict freighters.
  • The scrap dealer also now stocks Repair Kits.

• Added two new player titles, which may be earned via in-game achievements and selected at the Appearance Modifier.

• Improved the notification icons shown when entering freighters and derelict freighters.
  • Fixed an issue that caused hostile creatures to fall through the floor of derelict freighters.
  • Fixed an issue that caused derelict freighter doors to take too long to open.
  • Fixed an issue which could cause derelict freighter messages to linger after leaving the freighter without fully exploring it.
  • Fixed an issue which caused the Lost in Space mission to linger after leaving a derelict freighter.
  • Fixed an issue that could occasionally cause the guild envoy and scrap dealer rewards for completing a derelict freighter to be the wrong way around in Korvax systems.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause derelict freighters to despawn if the player attempted to fix or install technology on their ship while at a distance.

• Fixed an issue that could cause aquatic fauna to be listed as “extinct” when discovered.
  • Fixed an issue that could occasionally prevent creatures from spawning where or as often they should.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause teleporters to display the wrong galaxy name for some early galaxies.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the Exocraft mining laser from harvesting resources from terrain deposits.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause freighter base parts to be unpowered when constructed in specific locations within the freighter.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause weather effects to occur beyond the planetary atmosphere.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause frigate expeditions to reward deprecated products.

• Introduced a memory-management optimisation and fixed a number of memory-related crashes on console.
  • Fixed some rare crash issues.

No Man's Sky Next Generation update is coming soon ..

https://www.nomanssky.com/2020/10/no-mans-sky-next-generation-update/

• 2 weeks later...

No Man's Sky 3.10 released

https://www.nomanssky.com/next-generation-update/

I haven't seen it in game yet but there's a very old cosmetic bug been fixed

• Fixed an issue that caused the water horizon to appear bumpy.

O_o, excellent, not just in itself but because that means they are still slowly adding the very old backlog of minor issues. That's another of mine crossed off the list :)

Another example ..

• Fixed an issue that could prevent players from redeeming the pre-order bonus if it was installed while the game was running in the background

Still looking out for us Pre-Order players, and ..

• Fixed an issue that could cause ships docking in a Space Station to have incorrect collision.

Not sure what that addresses, ships landing inside each other occasionally / or flying through the walls of the space station entrance?, will have to have a look when I get home.

• Introduced a significant number of performance optimisations for all platforms.

Significant? looking forward to it, I think I saw someone speculating about this, something to do with Vulkan advances in shading / rendering (cant remember, but the impact was noted as being a significant enhancement of performance if NMS adopted it).

This update is mostly about the Next Gen consoles, but a few things for us too .. Patch notes :

3.10 PATCH NOTES

NEXT GENERATION CONSOLE SUPPORT

• No Man’s Sky is now compatible with PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
  • Save games can be transferred from previous console generations to their next generation equivalent.
  • PSVR owners can continue to experience No Man’s Sky in Virtual Reality on PlayStation 5 via the backwards compatibility functionality.
  • PlayStation 5 users can use the Activities feature to track and manage their Journey Milestones.
  • PlayStation 5 users now experience feedback directly through the triggers of their pad.
  • Added support for Tempest 3D AudioTech on PlayStation 5.

VISUAL ENHANCEMENTS

• Rendering quality has been significantly increased for next generation consoles.
  • Base complexity rendering limits have been removed for next generation consoles.
  • For next generation consoles and PCs running on “Ultra” settings, the distance at which detailed grass, plants, rocks and other objects are shown has increased.
  • For next generation consoles and PCs running on “Ultra” settings, the density of terrain details such as foliage, fungi and rocks has been increased.
  • Texture and geometric detail on a large number of objects such as foliage, fungi and rocks has been significantly increased.
  • Improved the visual effect of grass being pushed aside when walking through it.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the water horizon to appear bumpy.
  • Fixed an issue that could occasionally cause grass to fail to render.
  • Fixed an issue that caused butterfly bellies to be unintentionally always white.
  • Fixed an issue that caused planetary lighting to change after opening and closing Photo Mode.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause foliage to disappear when moving the camera in Photo Mode.
  • Refreshed the set of community images on the Mode Select screen.
  • Updated the style of the hazard protection icons on the HUD.
  • Updated the style of the icons displayed by mission notifications and markers.

PERFORMANCE & STABILITY

• Fixed a number of rendering-related crashes on PS4.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause very large saves to fail to load on PC.
  • Optimised terrain generation on Xbox One.
  • Introduced a significant number of performance optimisations for all platforms.

QUALITY OF LIFE

• Improved the feel of space combat. Target locking has been improved, and enemy ships are now more visible with cleaner UI.
  • The camera shake caused by gassy hazardous flora has been reduced.
  • The camera shake when shooting nearby objects has been reduced.
  • Hover text has been added to banner emblems in the Appearance Customiser.
  • On PS4 and Xbox One, when adding a No Man’s Sky friend who is playing on on the same platform, players are now also presented with the option to add them as a PSN or Xbox friend.

MISC BUGFIXES

• Fixed a rare blocker where some players on older saves would be unable to progress in the Atlas Path.
  • Fixed some rare cases where multiplayer sessions could fail to resume correctly after suspending the game on Xbox One.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a blank Galactic Map when joining a multiplayer game while the host was mid-warp.
  • Fixed an issue where NPC pilots landing on planets could disappear for some players in a multiplayer game.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to load into the wrong system when joining a multiplayer game while the host was on the other side of a portal.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent players from redeeming the pre-order bonus if it was installed while the game was running in the background.
  • Improved the alignment of the camera when interacting with damaged containers.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause ships docking in a Space Station to have incorrect collision.
  • Improved the collision of doors on bases, making them easier to walk through.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented base decals from being deletable after placement.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause multiple mission notifications to display simultaneously and overlap.
  • Fixed a rare case where the tutorial notifications would constantly flicker when starting a new game.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could cause inactive missions to progress when using the Multi-Tool Scanner.
  • Fixed a number of incorrect text responses in NPC interactions.

I think the "Introduced a significant number of performance optimisations for all platforms" part of the patch has made a slight difference on PC, though its hard to tell on a machine which already plays the game quite smoothly.

Certainly seeing an increase in the amount of flora / fauna / minerals on familiar planets, with no negative impact on performance, so the game engine has advanced a little.

And even with the same settings I had before this patch came along I notice a few graphical improvements which are nice and haven't taken away the 70s Sci-Fi vibe of the game. I cant run the game on Ultra on a laptop, so the main benefits to this patch I cant give any opinion on.

I have seen on reddit a post with oversized Haulers landing on a space station .. Personally I have seen the same type of starship in game and have not seen the same problem, so presume they have old mods files still installed causing scaling issues. Edit: Or maybe, if they are in multiplayer, and another players ship lands which is using some kind of scaling changes .. Just conjecture on my behalf really, I don't run multiplayer or use mods and have not seen the same issue. :shrug:

V3.10 is a very good and stable patch imho. No new issues introduced as far as I can tell so far anyway :)

And no sign of any urgent updates on steam depots.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 10:50 PM, alt3rn1ty said:

I have seen on reddit a post with oversized Haulers landing on a space station .. Personally I have seen the same type of starship in game and have not seen the same problem, so presume they have old mods files still installed causing scaling issues. Edit: Or maybe, if they are in multiplayer, and another players ship lands which is using some kind of scaling changes .. Just conjecture on my behalf really, I don't run multiplayer or use mods and have not seen the same issue. :shrug:

Seem the large haulers was a thing :) .. Fix in the next update :

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/2974027717608153577/

Experimental Branch 25/11

• Fixed an issue that could cause shared bases to fail to download correctly for other players.
  • Added an option on all platforms that allows players to customise the strength of pad rumble.
  • Fixed an issue that caused inconsistencies in the numbering when viewing customisation options.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause part of the tutorial to occur on an inappropriate planet.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause base parts to hover when constructed atop of decals.
  • Critical markers (such as the ship and any active missions) are not faded with distance when viewed in the Analysis Visor.
  • Increased the quicksilver reward given for completing the daily mission at the Nexus.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause some photography missions to fail to recognise when players were on the correct planet.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause camera shake to persist after warping.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some NPC starships to appear overly large while playing in multiplayer.
  • Fixed an issue that caused fireworks not to detonate correctly.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could prevent the tutorial from working correctly if players started on volcanic biomes.

• Fixed an issue that caused incorrect differences in rock distribution between Ultra and other planetary quality settings.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause some lighting scenarios to be overly bright on next-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the atmosphere on some weird planets to be overly dusty.
  • Fixed an issue affecting the placement of props on the terrain.
  • Fixed an issue that could caused random gaps to appear in the terrain on startup, and reduced the frequency of blocky and mismatched terrain textures generally.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause some planetary props to be invisible until looked at directly.
  • Fixed a number of issues with overly-loud base props.

• Introduced a performance optimisation related to moving foliage.
  • Introduced a small optimisation to terrain rendering.

• Fixed a crash that could occur when landing on a derelict freighter in multiplayer.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when predatory creatures bite something.
  • Fixed a rare crash that could be caused when entering the galaxy map with a large number of active missions.
  • Fixed a rare crash that could occur on projectile impacts.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when scanning.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when using weapons with non-standard muzzle flash colours.
  • Fixed a number of memory-related crashes.
  • Fixed a rare crash that could occur when getting in the starship.

• Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when transferring items to/from other players on Xbox.
  • Fixed an issue that caused Xbox Series S in Quality mode to not use the highest-possible graphics settings.

• Fixed a number of issues with photo mode on Playstation 5.
  • Fixed a number of text and display issues with PlayStation 5 activities.
  • Added an option on PlayStation 5 that allows players to customise the strength of the trigger feedback.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1st Patch of 2021 in the works

Experimental branch 19/01 is up, not much for PC in this one so hopefully sometime they will follow up with another QoL patch aswell as the expected more content updates this year ..

Recap from Dec 11th last year "This is likely to be our final update for the year, as the team is beginning to wind down, to rest up before next year – when we have much more planned for No Man’s Sky!"

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/5544461758378215805/

Experimental Branch 19/01
  • Stability improvements on PC.
  • Resolution and performance for PSVR have been significantly improved when running on a PS5.
  • Fixed a rendering-related crash on PS5.
  • Xbox Series S in high quality mode now has the improved Ultra settings introduced in the Next Generation Update.
  • Loading times on PS5 have been improved.
  • PS5 install size has been optimised.

Was just poking around with this again the other night. Found one of those giant Gek archive buildings or whatever. Realized there's a place to cash in artifacts. Went to go get the one the planet had marked. Then couldn't find the archive when I wanted to come back

I really wish they had a way to waypoint stuff you find so you can find it again later.

If you point at some place on the ground you can click with middle mouse button (I think, its been a while since I used this) and a temporary marker is placed. Not sure how far away from these you can travel, and if you do it again somewhere else the last temporary marker you placed is removed as you place the new one. To remove it (so that you have no temporary markers placed) you point directly at it and middle mouse click again. Have to be close because targeting it is a bit fiddly sometimes.

If you are in an area where you can access the Build menus', you can place a Beacon. I haven't tried this near archives, but you could also plant another base somewhere nearby, and remove it afterwards.

Yes, I know about the temporary map marker thing and use that to mark where to put mineral and gas extractors. I suppose that would work as a temp solution for a specific round trip to and from the archive but I want something more permanent. The ability to put a marker on something without needing to do something silly like throw down a save beacon or build a base computer near the facility. Pretty much every other space sim game gives you the ability to set waypoints on your HUD. That's all I want.

Yeah I can see where you are coming from with this, those archive buildings can be hard to find, and if you want to revisit them for a while some kind of building marker would be good while you venture around ..

.. Make a suggestion on the hellogames zendesk (same place as bug reports, just choose suggestion instead). Maybe mark them in the scanner. The archive buildings are new enough that hellogames may not have thought through enough how a player might wish to utilise them.

There have been times I've wanted waypoints for a lot more than just this. Like portals, various ruins, trade stations, you name it. It's like you find something and even though it logs something in your discoveries, you can't ever find it again without being extremely lucky. This problem is older than archives and should have been an obvious thing to include.

I just had to start a new game recently, so will be a while before I get back to a more advanced game. Reason? .. that new NVME SSD in my signature involved a re-install of the OS - "No problem" says I, "My documents are on the second internal SSD and thats backed up to USB" .. Yeah, Hellogames saves go in the C:\Users\username\appdata\roaming\hellogames\nms folder

:facepalm:

I had just found the perfect Multi-tool. Probably the hardest thing in the game to get in a style / type you want, it only took me four years to find it.

Heh, I know the feeling. It's part of why I don't really want to start a new game myself. I found a really cool Class A "alien" mult-tool and don't want to part with it. Has full slots and everything.

And yes, it would be nice if they used a more normal location under the documents folder. I made the same false assumption you did once and lost all my progress. Then had to track down where it actually went so I could get it into my weekly backup run.