No Mans Sky - Update

alt3rn1ty

Yep I think you can have more than one (at least I have seen other people mention it), the first one you come across that is under attack and needing assistance, is generally a free one, but the dialogue was a bit mixed up since the NEXT update. Its now been fixed hopefully.

If you turn it down, you can get another battle in five warps, and after 3 hours game time has passed. If that happens to be in a Vykeen system, you will get a Vykeen crew and Vykeen Freighter type (or you could luck out with a Sentinel S Class Freighter instead). Also you have more chance of an S Class in Oppulent / Bountiful etc systems. I keep turning them down until I get at least a high slot capacity A Class.

Then you can add up to 30 Frigates to your freighter. And have another Freighter with more frigates. I have only ever had one freighter so far so have not personally experienced having more than one freighter.

Also once you have done all of the Base research for each of your hired guys (Farmer / Scientist etc), you can construct their workshops onboard your Freighter in the big empty space aft of the bridge. Once constructed, click on it and your respective guy appears there. So you can have your farmer looking after Hydroponics that you can also build in that big empty space. Just make sure their respective quest lines are completed on a planet base first

Dont block off areas of the wall where you can build the Frigate Mission bays (I build five of them, then I can have five missions with five frigates in each on the go at the same time. Once the Frigates start leveling up those missions can be lucrative, and fund their own fuel needs .. Just buy Di-Hydro jelly and turn each of them back into Di-Hydrogen, and while the frigates are all away go mine a few thousand tritium, or buy that too, and the Frigates fuel needs are covered).

You can also build a Large and / or Medium Refiner onboard too, helps with turning jelly into DH as mentioned above. And, you can build one of those Buy / Sell interfaces into the bulkhead of your Freighter.

Any future planets where you reconstruct exxocraft pads, so long as you have developed them once already, they will appear at the new pad wherever you setup base again.

There is a Base resource recovery bit of kit, which can be built at future bases to recover resources from old bases .. But it does not seem to work if you build it on a Freighter, which would be the ideal place to have it really if you frequently up-sticks and delete old bases. I have sent a suggestion to HG to see if they will get it to work if installed onboard the freighter.

There is a lot to Freighters and Frigates, it doesnt all quite mesh as well as we want if you want the Freighter to be like a mobile base you can summon to your current system (or even use its big hyperspace range to travel onboard to new systems and go exploring in one of your smaller startships), but HG are starting with this update to sort things out, and will probably take onboard some of the suggestions submitted for future updates.

This one was a free A Class Vykeen ..

Swu5lPc.jpg

This next one is my newest (after a new game start just before the Abyss update), which is also a freebie, still needs those Freighter Hyperdrive upgrades which the Visions update promises to enable them being sold, I have 25 Frigates so far following this one, and each of those have advanced bonus features for their type (Exploration / Trader etc) ..

bygTPbg.jpg

And my fave Starship is an S Class 38 / 12 slots, the Tech slots are fully populated with max upgrades too (so for example the Photon Cannon has 6 S Class upgrades in total, 3 in the main slots and three in Tech) ..

zM8tyTx.jpg

Love fighting Pirates in this with the amazing maneuverability.

I must just be terribly unlucky this game. I haven't seen a Class S anything so far. About to hit 4th Atlas and the best I have is a Class A starship with 36 slots for cargo. Which I'm not keen to give up on.

:) I know that feeling, I had an A Class Starship prior to the one I have now which was similar to a Battlestar Galactica Viper nose design. It was also 36 main slots with 8 Tech slots and just about fully kitted out .. Then this S Class 38 / 12 turns up at a Trading Outpost in a Wealthy Vykeen system.

Took me about 20 minutes to decide whether to trade or not. Then I had an extensive Nanite hunt, followed by going to the nearest Space Station, and teleporting to all stations previously visited to pick up all the best upgrades again for the S Class .. Took about 3 weeks after the trade to get it to the stage its at now, but it was worth it for the increased specs and extra slots to max its capabilities, especially against those rare veteran Pirates you can come up against.

Luck is needed, but if you hang out in Oppulent / Wealthy / Advanced etc systems, on the big trading outposts, or in space stations, use your scanner and you will be able to spot an S Class Starship coming in. Reload at the same spot and persevere, and eventually you will bag the style / slots combination that you want. If you dont see the style of Starship that you want, you need to find another Wealthy system.

Here's a guide on finding stuff 

I think its time, the game I think is in a good state (at least there is nothing buggy enough to make me want to restart again later on) ..

So I am starting Survival mode for a long term play through. Already got to the first space station, so things are off to a good start in a more challenging game.

Game on ..:starwars:

LR2uMTW.jpg

dyR19dZ.jpg

The most recent experimental testing has now completed and 1.76 just went public

Edit : https://www.nomanssky.com/2018/11/development-update-9/

Latest changes on Experimental (26/11):

• Fixed an issue where the Farmer would request that Coprite was planted without the player knowing the Coprite recipe.
  • Fixed an issue where the Farmer would teach the wrong Nip Nip recipe.
  • Fixed an issue where commas were missing from some large numbers in mission notifications.
  • Fixed an issue where some of the new hazardous flora would not appear on certain planet types.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause Big Ball to become permanently stuck in a refiner output (this fix prevents any new occurrences, existing blocked refiners continue to be blocked).
  • Fixed an issue that caused too few crates to spawn near buildings.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented grenades from firing while the Blaze Javelin is equipped.

• Improved the appearance of the Bubble Cluster and Glitching Separator when displayed in your base.
  • Fixed a collision issue with the Portable Reality Generator.
  • Fixed a collision issue with the ceiling of the space station.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause debug strings to be visible when selling items at a trade terminal.
  • Fixed an exploit that allowed the placement of infinite fireworks.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause Community Mission Tier progress to be incorrectly reported in the Log.

• Fixed a crash that could occur when warping a freighter in multiplayer.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when viewing Community Research progress in the Log.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur in multiplayer when encountering anomalous creatures.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when encountering strange rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update coming out today ..

https://www.nomanssky.com/2018/12/development-update-10/

Development Update

The patch notes for Update 1.77 are below, with these fixes releasing for all platforms today.

Thanks for reading all these updates – we hope you’ve been enjoying the increased communication and update frequency over the past six months. There is still so much more to come in the new year, with a large portion of our team working towards further major updates for No Man’s Sky. We look forward to seeing you out there.

Thank you so much,
Sean

Patch 1.77

• Fixed an issue where Big Ball would get stuck in the refiner output (any previously broken refiners will now be clear)
  • Fixed an issue where all crystals would be called ‘Unknown’
  • Fixed an issue where the tutorial mission would not advance if the player collected a Hermetic Seal too early
  • Fixed an issue where the mission flow would halt when instructed to build a base for Apollo’s contact if the base already had an Overseer but no large-scale rooms
  • Fixed some crash issues in exocraft races
  • Fixed a hang issue when accessing a mission dialogue at the same time as the mission deadline
  • Fixed a hang issue when accessing the Starship Communicator at the same time as exiting the cockpit
  • Fixed an issue where ancient ruins and crashed freighters could sometimes spawn floating above the surface of planets
  • Adjusted the health of corrupted Sentinels to make them more tough than regular Sentinels
  • Fixed an issue where the advanced mining laser was not required to mine advanced substances
  • Fixed an issue where killing another player with melee attacks would result in an incorrect chat message
  • Addressed a number of photosensitivity issues around the Portal and the enter/exit ship effects
  • Fixed an issue where the terrain manipulator beam would not render on Multi-Tools with one pre-installed at purchase
  • Fixed an issue where resource names could appear multiple times on the planetary readout from space
  • Fixed an issue with collision on some medium-sized rocks
  • Fixed an issue with the Pocket Reality Generator not being buildable indoors
  • Disabled the Analysis Visor while on ladders

@Arthmoor GOG is now testing Multi-player as a beta experimental update .. So watch out for when it goes live and updates the game to get into the settings and restrict what people can do with your bases etc, griefers no doubt will be waiting to pounce on the unwary GOG players who have default settings.

I haven't seen what needs to be switched off yet, but no doubt after the update goes public I will be turning off WIFI, switching pretty much everything multiplayer to off, and then allowing WIFI back on again. I am currently running GOG Galaxy just to keep up with the frequent game updates recently on NMS, X4 and Kingdom Come Deliverance (the latter of those is a huge amount of re-downloading if you stick with just grabbing the manual install files), will go back to manual installs after the dust settles.

https://www.gog.com/game/no_mans_sky

We’re happy to let you know the multiplayer mode for No Man’s Sky on GOG.COM has entered beta. It’s available now via GOG Galaxy on the „Experimental Multiplayer" beta branch and will be rolling out to everyone soon.

• 1 month later...

There is a new update, purely for GOG owners of the game ..

If you ever wanted Multi-Player on GOG, apparently its now a thing (both for the GOG Galaxy client installation of the game or the manual installation, I dont know if there are any functional differences between the two)

If you dont want multiplayer, I would visit your preferences first thing after the update so you dont get griefed in any way. Maybe turn off your internet connection before starting the game and set the preferences first.

Files are called 1.77_GOG_MP

So I think it is purely a MulitPlayer addition, without any other fixes or additions for now (previous version was also 1.77).

Edit : If you dont have any Internet connection (switched off wifi or whatever), you will not see any Network options at all. However if you do have Internet connected, the settings default to all being on!.

ZJlVcW8.png

• 1 month later...

Sean Murray has been posting a few Tweets recently, but it boils down to this ..

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/03/no-mans-sky-beyond/

.. "More will follow" this time round means 3 major updates dropping in one update :D

"No Man’s Sky BEYOND, a major free chapter, coming Summer 2019.

With three updates in one:
1) No Man's Sky Online
2) ?
3) ?

We're working out butts off on something special
More Info soon ❤️"

I'm more interested in what the heck 2 and 3 are going to be.

• 2 weeks later...

2 ) = VR on PS4 and Steam VR

Going back to sleep :)

Actually I have had a go recently of a PS4 VR headset, its quite good. But not good enough to make me want to go and buy a PS4 Pro plus a Headset just for the experience, it would probably annoy the heck out of me too, even just headphones annoy me if I wear them for more than half hour. If they could make these things so that you dont get sweaty / earache / headache after so long they would be ok.

Anyway, looking forward to the reveal of 3 ) and fingers crossed its "All outstanding bugs squashed entirely".

• 3 weeks later...

:woot: They are changing the game engine from OpenGL to Vulcan :woot:

And its going into beta testing for us PC Experimental test players before the Beyond update, should also benefit AMD machines for performance benefits.

I suggested this a long time ago on via the Zendesk Feedback and suggestions, I was hopeful but didn't think it would come true ..

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/04/vulkan-update/

Update your graphics drivers before this one :nerd:

Hello everyone,

We were thrilled by the response to the announcement of Beyond and the news that the game will be coming to VR. Bringing a game like No Man’s Sky to VR is a colossal technical undertaking, requiring major improvements to and optimisation of our engine. Your enthusiasm and excitement means so much to us as push on with this difficult task, and we will share more as soon as we are able.

In the meantime, we have some news for players on PC. As part of our optimisation work, we have added Vulkan support to the game. We have been able to do this not only for Beyond, but for the current live version of the game. As such, we wanted to release this to you as soon as possible.

Final Vulkan support will bring many PC players an immediate performance improvement, but it also helps us increase our options as we continue to make significant engine changes. It is only one portion of a large body of work that will see technical improvements for all players on all platforms.

We have also added support for crash reporting. In the event of a crash, callstack data is collected via Steam (we already support this on other platforms). This will enable us to more quickly identify and respond to serious issues. We have updated the EULA to take this into account.

As this is a large change – a complete overhaul of the graphics API – we will roll it out first to the PC Experimental branch, whilst we perform wider compatibility testing with the help of the brave experimental branch players.

In future it will be rolled out to all players.

The patch notes are as follows:

• OpenGL has been replaced by Vulkan. Many players, particularly players with AMD graphics cards, should see a performance improvement
  • Revised HDR support, updated output curve in line with advances in HDR calibration
  • Adaptive and Triple-Buffered V-Sync are now selectable from Graphics Settings
  • Players with more than one GPU can now select which is used from Graphics Settings
  • Changing the following settings no longer require restarting:
    • Window Mode
    • Resolution
    • V-Sync
    • Shadow Detail
    • Reflection Quality
  • The ‘LOADING SHADERS’ load step has been removed, improving the loading experience.
  • Crash data is gathered via Steam to help us track down and fix issues.

As always, thank you to all players who use Experimental and take the time to report any issues you encounter.

Accessing the Experimental Branch

More so than normal it’s important that you update your video card drivers.
Nvidia: www.nvidia.co.uk/Download
AMD: www.amd.com/en/support

Please note there is the possibility that experimental builds may introduce new issues that haven’t been caught in test. We’d like to recommend that all players back up their save files, by making a local copy of the st_[userid] folder found here: %appdata%\HelloGames\NMS\

Note that we don’t anticipate any issues here. However, performing your own backups could mean the difference between resuming play immediately, or waiting for the next patch.

If you decide to opt out of experimental and return to the main branch, we strongly recommend resuming from a backed-up save from the main branch, rather than taking an experimental branch save back to main, which may cause unexpected behaviour.

Feedback and reports of new bugs/issues being found on Experimental are welcome, so please submit a ticket to hellogames.zendesk.com with the phrase “Steam Experimental Vulkan” in the ticket title. If you are running any mods for the game, please list them along with your bug report.

To play in Experimental, right-click on No Man’s Sky from the Steam library page and select “Properties”. Among the available tabs will be the “BETAS” tab. Enter “3xperimental” in the textbox and click “Check Code”. “experimental – Experimental” will now be available in the dropdown menu under “Select the beta you would like to opt into”.

----------------------

The beta is live on GOG Galaxy

As per the those ^^ instructions update your graphics drivers first 

And backup your save games 

Go into GOG Galaxy, select NMS, use the drop down menu "More", and choose settings 

At the top right, select Beta Channels to ON 

Enter the password 3xperimental 

Then in the Channel drop down select Experimental Beta 

you should now get updated to the Vulcan update to beta test it. :)

Any issues as per the instructions in the link above report it to the Zendesk, and use the Label "GOG Experimental Vulkan” to distinguish your report from the steam beta testers reports. 

I dont normally use the GOG Galaxy client, but now have it installed, and re-installed the game via Galaxy just to test this beta out :)

Cool. I wish more games would jump on board the Vulkan train and tell DX12 where to stuff it. Moves like that open the door to getting AAA games onto linux, which would help bust another monopoly holing PC gaming back.

• Like 1

Yes I also wish every game would just dump OpenGL and DX, and adopt Vulkan instead.

This has been one very nice update, couple of things to do when you have the Vulkan Update installed :

You can delete all the old files in ..

No Man's Sky\GAMEDATA\SHADERCACHE\

You can delete all .dds files in ..

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Hellogames\NMS\Defaultuser\Cache\

And recommend deleting your old settings files in ..

No Man's Sky\Binaries\Settings\

The cache and .dds files used to all get regenerated (typically you would delete them after graphics drivers updated, and the regeneration of those would really slow down the game starting up for the first time after (the star field intro would get laggy) - Now the game does not regenerate them at all, so if for no other reason but cleaning up the HD, these files can all go.

The Game settings files - The engine now better detects your machine and how to set up the default settings, and probably Vulkan needs a few things set a little different too. Deleting them will just get the game to regenerate them (similar to bethesda game ini files) with more appropriate settings for the update.

imho the game is noticably smoother after the Vulkan update. I do not use any mods still for this game, so anyone using them may have a different experience, but they should get checked by their respective authors and updated as necessary for the Vulkan update first before playing with them installed.

And well, this is just one of the changes towards improving performance, there's still all the Beyond update improvements to come :D

• Like 1

Yeah, the annoying cache files will be a welcome thing to see gone. Good to know it won't bother to populate all that if I reinstall it again at some point. For now I don't have it installed cause I beat it and was too lazy to set it up again after I upgraded to an SSD.

:)Well for those that do still have it installed and beta testing - Another update today :

We have updated the experimental branch build:

• Fixed a bug that could cause artifacts around the edges of objects.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur on Windows 7.
  • Fixed an issue where the game could appear on the wrong monitor after switching to fullscreen.
  • An error message will now show up if old drivers are detected. It's likely that the game will crash following this error message. To remedy this please update your graphics card drivers: Nvidia[www.nvidia.co.uk], AMD[www.amd.com].
  • Fixed some other rare crashes.

HDR:

We wanted to clarify some points about the HDR implementation. HDR is a new display standard that has been featured on many new monitors and TVs in the past few years. It allows monitors to display brighter colours than were previously possible.

We have supported HDR on consoles for a while, but have been revisiting it in the last few months to take advantage of more recent techniques. The result of this work has been building an entirely new implementation that also works on PC. We want to eventually roll this out cross-platform, but we are keen to preview it and have your feedback. As such, we have integrated it into this experimental Vulkan build.

If you have an HDR monitor you will be able to turn on HDR mode in the Windows 10 Display Settings control panel. If the game detects that HDR is available, you will see a new option in the game graphics settings which can be set to either HDR400, HDR600 or HDR1000. These are presets we've tweaked for the 3 most common HDR monitor standards, and relate to the peak brightness that the monitor can achieve.

We're excited to know how you get on with this, please reply here to let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

Vulkan update has had another update on the beta Experimental Vulkan :

Update: 29/04

• Falling back to CPU memory is now handled better on low-VRAM cards, this may fix some stuttering issues.
  • Reports of old or failing drivers have been made clearer.
  • Game now prefers GPUs with up-to-date drivers when making first-boot GPU selection.
  • Fixed a crash caused by certain very old drivers still being present on system even if not used.
  • Fixed HDR support not being detected on beta NVIDIA drivers.
  • Fixed certain effects being brighter than intended.
  • Fixed a banding issue in brightly-coloured skies.
  • Fixed an issue that caused text entry boxes to only show for one frame so you could not rename things.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause poor performance on the controls screen.

• 2 weeks later...
Update: 14/05

• Improved vsync on AMD.
  • Fixed some rare crashes.
  • Fixed some windowing issues.

Also there was an update to the nvidia driver last week which addresses some issues.

Why is Mordhau listed twice? Doesn't that really mean NMS is #3 globally? Which is quite impressive given the level of hate the game still gets to this day.

I have no clue, when I took that screenshot I thought it may have been a special version of Mordhau aswell as the original, but they both led to the same game page .. So yeah, I think you are right it was really number 3 at the time. Its number 5 today, and the second Mordhau is gone.

• 2 months later...

No Mans Sky is 50% discount on GOG ..

.. And if you haven't got it, nows a good time before the No Mans Sky Beyond update on the 14th August :)

No Mans Sky Beyond

Sean explains the 3rd component, at last :) ..

Really looking forward to this update, not for VR or Multiplayer, but all the extra's

Probably the single greatest thing they could do for this game:

On PC, OpenGL has been replaced by the Vulkan API, improving performance across the board, especially for users on

AMD cards, or with older CPUs.