Wilderness cell inside settlement build area

somethingbrite

I have noticed that with at least 2 settlements the build area as defined by the Green hazy border actually expands beyond the named exterior location cell and therefore includes what must by wilderness cells inside this build area.

This appears to result in some strange behaviour which may account for the Oberland Station NPC vendor bug that is listed - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Oberland_station

Obervation. When using Toggle Borders command at a settlement a Grid is displayed across the landscape. (yellow/black line grid and blue (cell quadrant?) grid. Crossing from one grid to another on occasion makes the grid vanish - it does not appear possible to traverse the entire world map with this grid always visible. 

Type 1. Within a settlement build area there will often be one or more exterior cells which are named and listed here. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_cell_ID  being inside these cell's the grid is visible. 

NPC's interact with objects ok within these cells. 

Type 2. Within settlement build area's there also appear to be cell's which are not named or listed but it is possible to cross into these cells and the cell border grid still remains visible. 

NPC's also seem to interact with objects ok within these cells too. 

Type 3. Within settlement build area's there are also appear to be cells which are not named or listed BUT crossing into these cells will result in the cell border grid vanishing. 

NPC's can experience bugs with interaction in these cells. 

Example.

Oberland Station. Issue exists with assigning settler NPC as vendor and/or interacting with them if that store is located in a wilderness cell where the cell border grid is not visible.  (Type 3.)  If that store is then moved to the named cell (Type 1) or even the Type 2 cell it functions properly. Some similar issues may also occur with bed assignment / bed count. 

It is even possible to have multiple stores of the same type without issue (other than sharing the same inventory) as long as all stores are located inside Type 1 and Type 2 cells. 

I may have also observed build objects disappearing from Type 3 cells. (not conclusive, it is still possible I forgot to put a floor there.)

Affected settlements found so far. 

Oberland Station.

E44E is the named exterior cell for Oberland Station. Inside the build area. (Type 1)

E44D OK(ish) Appears to be a wilderness cell (not named) inside the build area but it does not cause the cell border grid to vanish if you are inside it.  (Type 2)

E42D  Not OK. Appears to be a wilderness cell partially inside the build area which crossing into results in the cell border grid vanishing. (Type 3)

E42C Not OK. Appears to be a wilderness cell partially inside the build area and crossing into results in the cell border grid vanishing. (Type 3)

County Crossing. 

DB3F is the named exterior cell for County Crossing. (Type 1)

DB3E appears to be a wilderness cell. (can't find it on any cell ID list) this cell appears to take up quite a lot of the build area. (Type 3)

DB5E also appears to be a wilderness cell but this is right at the edge and only just inside one corner of County Crossing build area. (Type 3)

Settlers appear to farm area's in the wilderness cell DB3E but I experienced issue's with bed complaints until I moved ALL beds inside the named cell - DB3F. Since moving the beds I have had no issue at County Crossing. (I have not built any NPC stores/bar outside this area at this settlement.

3 hours ago, somethingbrite said:

Obervation. When using Toggle Borders command at a settlement a Grid is displayed across the landscape. (yellow/black line grid and blue (cell quadrant?) grid. Crossing from one grid to another on occasion makes the grid vanish - it does not appear possible to traverse the entire world map with this grid always visible.

Because in FO4 "tb" (toggle borders) it Only Works (showing yellow/black and blue lines on the ground) if the cell in which we are located has Precombines/Previs disabled.
Or mesh which is part of Precombines/Previs has been edited in ESP/ESM "Initially Disabled" for example.
So you have in the Load Order modification(s) which is causing this.

Scrap Everything is one of many such modifications for example

4 hours ago, InsanePlumber said:

Because in FO4 "tb" (toggle borders) it Only Works (showing yellow/black and blue lines on the ground) if the cell in which we are located has Precombines/Previs disabled.

Scrap Everything is one of many such modifications for example

That explains the visual artifact regarding the TB command for sure. (I am indeed running "scrap everything") 

However how would this impact NPC + store/bed interaction? The cell borders glitch simple exposes that there are wilderness cells which have no precombine/previs included within the buildable area. - in the case of County Crossing its almost 50% of the build area. There must be some other information missing?

When reporting bugs you should also see which of the modifications you're using change something in the CELL (worldspace/interior) where errors occur.
Scrap everything is not a modification that is done well.
Because it turns off Precombines/Previs completely in all edited worldspaces.

Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

List all the modifications you use.

There's nothing wrong with including unnamed cells in workshop loacations.

It is important though that all cells making up the workshop are given the workshop location as their parent location (i.e. just defining settlement borders by placing markers and defining buildable area boxes is NOT sufficient to associate a cell with the workshop).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. 

Thanks for the input - I've just got back from vacation so can provide a full current mod list later. 

Interesting point Sclerocephalus. I've not made any changes to the workshop locations myself, and while I may be inadvertently running a mod that does I'm pretty sure that none mentioned changing the buildable area boundary. - however Scrap Everything and Build and Scrap beyond workshop boundaries are possible candidates for this behaviour. (I didn't install either in order to change the workshop build area but for other elements - at some point it would be nice to learn enough to create the mods that do exactly what I want and nothing else myself)

Where would you look to check this parent location? (If for example I wish to check and fix it myself.)

To manipulate an object in workshop mode, its pivot must be within the brown box. If it's not, you cannot select it. Thus, manipulating anything outside of the vanilla workshop boundaries requires modification of the brown box.

Which, btw, is not a good idea:

1. There's a big risk of inadvertently breaking up a piss bomb (previs/precomb). Doing this at run time may not have the same detrimental results as breaking it in a plugin (only then, it will actually become disabled), but it may leave you with visual glitches. Guess where people report those issues (hint: it's not the mod author) ?
  2. The brown box defines the search volume of the engine to look for workshop objects when you call GetWorkshopResourceObjects() from a papyrus script. Of course, the engine is way faster than anything papyrus, and the additional work will likely be done in a fraction of a second, but it's nonetheless another fraction of a second of engine activity that is consumed for workshop-related tasks. The performance drawn from the game by the workshop system is high anyway (maybe too high even with vanilla size settlements), so one should take care of not further increasing the workload (or, at least, to keep it as low as possible).