[Hearthfire] Heljarchen Hall building (with radiant quest) is bugged

Relue117

I am running into a somewhat rare but annoying bug within Hearthfire's house/homestead building feature. More specifically, I cannot build the player homestead Heljarchen Hall, and cannot progress the associated radiant quest (BYOHHousePale). I have attempted to build the house alone and the main hall addition, but nothing gets visibly built in my game. The rocks and debris that should be removed in lieu of the house plot remain through the whole building process for me. Also, the quest to build does not advance after arriving at the carpenter's workbench (stage 110), no matter what I do. Doing a little research, some people have success deactivating all of their mods (perhaps some touch the cell here or touch the wildlife spawns), so I deactivated all of the plugins that I use that I know edit the landscape or wildlife, but that did not work for me. I have also read that some folks run into this if they complete the construction of the Windstad Manor homestead before beginning the Heljarchen Hall construction, which is true for me as well. However, I did this a long time ago, so I can't just revert to an old save and not build Windstad Manor first. Can anyone offer any workaround suggestions for me, or perhaps attempt to patch this issue in USSEP? A STEP moderator seemed to think it was possible to patch in this forum post, having looked into the game scripts. This isn't some game-breaking issue for me, so I'll live without Heljarchen Hall, but I thought I would reach out about it. Attached is an image of the ground where the hall should be in my game having just constructed both the house and main hall addition.00.thumb.png.5cd26c618bd43997d2f470f89ec84245.png

The thread you referenced seems to concur with what I figured would be the case. You have another mod that's altering records or otherwise interfering with the construction of the house. There were some spawn point mods known to do this. Unfortunately it would seem Steam took their old forums offline and the post that detailed many of the problems is now gone. It had an extensive list of mods known to cause this problem. The best I can suggest at this point is to load everything up in xEdit and check the cells for Heljarchen Hall and see if anything is overriding things in the cell records for it.

This is not something that's ever come up in the DLC itself as a bug regardless of which house is built first. Nothing in the scripting would be able to cause this or all of the houses would be screwed up.

Ok, I dug up the old post via archive.org, here it is:

Feel free to post mods known to cause bugs with Hearthfire. If they can be confirmed they will be added to the list.

Also looking for solutions to freeze-ups and crashes in and around the three Hearthfire homes. If you can confirm a solution that is already listed, please post it here too. Thx.

(n) = Nexus version. (w) = Workshop version

Mods causing Hearthfire bugs

*Note: Any mod to Breezehome may cause a Crash to Desktop (CTD) when entering.
*Also, wildlife mods may have spawning points for birds and animals at the same place the Hearthfire homes are built, thus causing invisible homes. Try disabling the mod until the homes are built.

Click on the links below and read their Comments sections for more info...

Note: The "Unofficial Patches" are highly recommended. While there was an initial problem with the USKP patch causing a CTD in Breezehome, Arthmoor was quick to correct it and went on to develop the Unofficial Hearthfire Patch. These patches repair dozens of Skyrim bugs. If you have any of the other mods listed below and are still having problems after patching or disabling them, give the Unofficial patches a try, if you haven't done so already.

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch @ Workshop
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch @ Nexus
After all that, your Data Files load order should look like this...
Dawnguard.esm
Hearthfires.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp (optional dlc)
HighResTexturePack02.esp (optional dlc)
UnofficialSkyrimPatch.esp
UnofficialDawnguardPatch.esp
UnofficialHearthfirePatch.esp

(all your other mods below)
  • (w) Birds and Flocks - Invisible Windstad Manor in Hjaalmarch (Marthal). Update to: B&F Hearthfire Edition. Delete, and Un-subscribe from the old edition in your Data Files before subscribing to the new version.
  • (n) Skytest: Realistic Animals and Predators - Invisible Heljarchen Hall in The Pale and freeze-ups @ Windstead Manor. Update: To v1.27e Full Edition or just add ,1.27E ESP if you already have one of the 1.27a/b/c/d Fulls. Note: Freeze-ups may be due to conflict with other mods. Try placing Skytest near the bottom of your load order.
Quote:
These scripts add the hearthfire housecarls into the UFO mod recruit/dismiss system. It should be noted that hearthfire housecarls all have their own unique recruit/dismissal dialogue lines and fixing it requires modification of the UFO\'s main .esp file and that requires permission. So this fix makes them speak the default housecarl recruit/dismissal lines. So far contacting fLokii, the UFO author has been unsuccessful.
  • (w) Real Wildlife Skyrim Invisible home Windstad Manor Status: Author now aware of the issue and will be making a new version. Note: If you uninstall this mod some of the animals may get stuck in their animations and you may also be unable to recover items from them. A clean install of Skyrim may be required to fix. See the Comments section of the mod for more info. Workaround. Temporarily disable mod until Windstad Manor is built.
  • (w) Scenic Carriages CTD in Lakeview Manor area. Status: Arthmoor has provided a Hearthfire Fix for the Nexus Version. The mod can be downloaded with the Nexis Mod Manager, but the patch will have to be installed manually from the Downloads page (full update in the works). Note: The Scenic Carriages update doesn't require Hearthfire, just fixes the navmeshes so they won't conflict with it.
Note: The Nexus versions of the Places series are no longer supported.
  • (w) Collector's Vault. CTD when entering Breezhome. Status: Not compatible with Hearthfire.
Quote:
Enter the console and click on the wall in the wardrobe and use the displayed number for 'markfordelete xxxxxxxx', close the console, then save game and load this savegame again, the wall will be gone and your items still down there were you left them.
You may be able to do the same with the flickering wall.

Bugfixes by Players:

• Items like bees and honey in the Apiary, chicken eggs, butter from the churn are not re-spawning. Fix: Not a bug. Stay away from the home for extended periods so the re-spawn clock doesn't reset. See Post #81.
  • Courier not delivering the Note from the Jarl of Falkreath after reaching Level 9. See post #95.

The Following links appear in this thread and address CTDs in specific areas of Lakeview Manor (Falkreath).

Hearthfire User Guides

Hearthfire Mods List

It's obviously going to be severely out of date, but the information was better than nothing. Also don't be surprised if most of the links are dead too.

Thanks for your investigation, Arthmoor. Unfortunately, I do not use any mods that were mentioned on that page, though something is surely messing with me. While I won't have time to extensively test my load order today, a quick peek at xEdit with all of the plugins loaded show that only the Heartfires master (obviously), USSEP, and Even Better Quest Objectives touch the Heljarchen Hall ID (BYOHHouse3*). I think that the latter two will be the first to go in my test. Wish me luck :P

Edit:

add to that Legendary Player Home Map Markers

Whelp, I've tried disabling most of my plugins and testing out old saves, but to no avail. Perhaps my game save is just FUBAR and it just wasn't meant to be. That's okay, though, there are plenty of house mods out there!

Yes, you'd have to test it with new saves because the problem was known to bake into the save back in the day and nothing will have changed with that.