Fallout NV modding with Wrye Flash

godescalcus

I'm new to Fallout New Vegas - and to the Fallout series as well. I've become used to playing modded Bethesda games - so much so that I don't even plan on playing FNV vanilla. I'm starting a modding run using Esserbee's guide but, from my recent experience with Skyrim, I became convinced that Wrye Bash was the main thing to go with, contrary to the opinion of the majority. I'm over 100 hours into the most stable heavily modded Skyrim ever. Wrye Bash loads more quickly and is more straightforward. So I also want to try and follow Esserbee's guide with Wrye Flash. Has anyone here done it? Any suggestions? 

On a similar note, since BOSS is still recommended for Oblivion (despite the "loot being the new thing" quick answer), what's the status on the old "BOSS vs. LOOT" question, regarding FNV?

And now... For something completely different! How do you make Wrye Flash install non-standard files or folders to the data folder? Some mods have a "config" folder with the mods' inis that doesn't get copied by wrye flash, so for the moment I've been manually copying the files that WF doesn't install. But that means those files or folders won't be tracked by the program, so I'll need to remember them if I ever want to uninstall those mods.

Should I be using the latest Wrye Bash instead of Wrye Flash?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I thought someone would have answered by now, I cant help much though : Out of all your questions all I can say is LOOT has sorted my load order correctly for Oblivion, Skyrim LE, Skyrim SE and Fallout 4, I wouldnt go back to BOSS personally, I like the way it does what it does.

For FONV : Its the one game out of the fallout series I am not so keen on personally, so would not install it again, I prefer Fallout 3 and even more so prefer Fallout 4 - So I have no advice regarding that game or setting it up.

Wrye Bash supports Oblivion, Skyrim LE, Skyrim SE and Fallout 4, but currently does not recognise Fallout 3 or NV. For those you need to keep using the Wrye Flash Fork of the older Wrye Bash code for now. I think eventually Utumno would like to get those covered aswell, but right now finishing off a 307 stable after all the refactoring he has done over the last five years is priority. Then patchers for the newer games (Skyrim and FO4) need to be developed, at the moment only the Oblivion game has a full set of functioning patchers. When all of those things start coming together .. I reckon Utumno will probably want a break from burning himself out all the time.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:28 AM, godescalcus said:

And now... For something completely different! How do you make Wrye Flash install non-standard files or folders to the data folder? Some mods have a "config" folder with the mods' inis that doesn't get copied by wrye flash, so for the moment I've been manually copying the files that WF doesn't install. But that means those files or folders won't be tracked by the program, so I'll need to remember them if I ever want to uninstall those mods.

You may have to unpack the mod then re-arrange things into a format that Wrye Flash can understand. It's frustrating but I've had to do quite a few this way in the past to get things to install correctly.

4 hours ago, Beermotor said:

You may have to unpack the mod then re-arrange things into a format that Wrye Flash can understand. It's frustrating but I've had to do quite a few this way in the past to get things to install correctly.

I do this, too, when it's a question of rebuilding a BAIN folder structure but I'm worried that in the cases I mentioned the current arrangement may be necessary for the mod to work... For example, LOD files that are used by the lod generator get stored in a folder that's not a standard BAIN folder, so wrye flash doesn't copy them but they're needed there anyway.

Nevertheless, it's been quite easy to get things to work so far, so I'm sticking with Wrye for all things Bethesda (and Gamebryo). Only thing in FNV is that wrye flash doesn't handle everything, but nearly. And you're still treating your game data folder with great love and care ;)

8 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

When all of those things start coming together .. I reckon Utumno will probably want a break from burning himself out all the time.

I'd personally help if I could! WB changed the way I play with mods. If it were a matter that could be addressed by an inexperienced coder, I'd finally go back to my c notes and finish my ever postponed attempt to do learn it.

Hi, 

I'm attempting to do the same thing.  I use Wrye Bash for all of my Bethesda games because... I dunno, I like it. You can't use the latest Wrye Bash for New Vegas... at least I haven't found a way to just yet.  The quickest and easiest way I've found to make files work (especially the FOMOD packed ones that cannot be unpacked) is to load them up in NMM and go through the fomod installer, then go into the "virtual mod folder" of NMM and repack the installed mod and install those archives t into Wrye Flash. Remember to uninstall them from NMM. It works every time. For script extender plugins and .ini files, I just manually install them because this version of Wrye Flash just doesn't seem to recognize them no matter how you pack them.  Of course, I've only been playing around with this version for a week or thereabouts, so I might be missing something.

Hope that helps.

ETA... Oh, I forgot!  For those files that I add manually, I simply put the archive at the bottom of the "installer" list under a marker that reads "added manually".  Since they're greyed out by Wyre Flash, they can't be installed through WF, but it gives me a visual clue that A - I installed them and B - they weren't installed via WF if I ever want to uninstall them. 

Edited by Patience
forgot something
  • Like 1

On 2017-7-7 at 6:25 AM, Patience said:

For those files that I add manually, I simply put the archive at the bottom of the "installer" list under a marker that reads "added manually".  Since they're greyed out by Wyre Flash, they can't be installed through WF, but it gives me a visual clue that A - I installed them and B - they weren't installed via WF if I ever want to uninstall them. 

Good idea! I think I'll have to rebuild my FNV because, although the game runs and all, I can see I missed stuff. I usually took care to check all mods that come in gray background in Wrye Flash, but I didn't know .ini files didn't get copied with the respective scripts. I use markers to good effect but that idea of using them as a record to remember uninstalling later, is a great one.

I use mod organizer to deal wih fomods, just like you use NMM. I don't know NMM and its vfs and I do know that when you install things with it, it makes changes to your data folder that won't be recorded by wrye bash. So I use mod organizer because it makes no change at all, just creates a folder for the installed mod, which I then import to wrye bash and work with as a project.

• 11 months later...

@Beermotor @Patience @godescalcus Boy, I would have to look into that. I'm not sure why Valda's version doesn't install the ini and script extender plugins, it should. That might be something I can fix even with my limited knowledge of python. Any mods that don't work you could link?