[RELz] Provincial Courier Service

Arthmoor

provincial-courier-service.jpg

Skyrim's courier is an industrious young lad who can be seen all over the province, yet doesn't seem to have anywhere to live and/or work. He seems able to find you at will, but what if you wanted to find HIM? Even if it would be a meaningless encounter, one should still expect a living breathing NPC that takes part in the world to have some place to work at and call home. No longer will the poor courier simply be dragged from his mystery cell and dropped in front of you to make his deliveries. Thus is born the Provincial Courier Service.

This mod is a simple immersion/realism mod that provides a small shack outside of Whiterun along the main road, next to Honningbrew Meadery.

What This Mod Does

• Provides a home for Skyrim's default courier NPC who hands out letters for various quests.
  • Courier deliveries will now occur in person nearly anywhere in Skyrim.
  • Optional home delivery service will instead deliver messages to one vanilla or DLC house of your choosing.
  • Can also approach the courier at his office and receive mail deliveries there.

Speak to the courier to set up your options. Until this is done, the courier will seek you out to deliver messages in person.

Download Locations

AFK Mods
ModDB.com
Bethesda.net - PC + XB1

Installation Requirements

Skyrim Special Edition 1.6.1130 or greater.
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch 4.3.0 or greater.

DO NOT extract the contents of the BSA file into your Data folder as loose files, or let your mod manager perform an equivalent function on the contents of the file. Doing so will cause things to load in the wrong order and break the game. Skyrim is intended to load a BSA alongside it's ESM/ESP file. Circumventing this causes issues which I will not provide support for. If you insist on going against this advice, you will receive no support for the problems you generate as a result of this.

Installation - Wrye Bash BAIN

Drop the archive into your Skyrim Special Edition Mods\Bash Installers folder, then install as usual.
Make sure the mod is active in the Wrye Bash mods tab.

Installation - Manual

Drop the Provincial Courier Service.esp, Provincial Courier Service.bsa, and Provincial Courier Service - Textures.bsa files into your Data folder.
Activate the mod using whatever management tool suits you.

Uninstalling

Simply remove the Provincial Courier Service.esp, Provincial Courier Service.bsa, and Provincial Courier Service - Textures.bsa files from your Data folder.

Changes have been designed to be fully reversible so the vanilla courier system will be restored to normal if the mod is removed.

Load Order

LOOT should be used for optimal placement.

Best placed near other city modifications. Must load before Open Cities Skyrim if that is installed.

Compatibility

Mods altering the vanilla courier's base NPC record, his placed reference, or his AI packages will be incompatible.

Mods altering the cell "WhiterunExterior15" ( 3, -4 ) will require compatibility patching.

Any mod which alters the following scripts will be incompatible:

WICourierScript.psc
QF_WICourier_00039F82.psc

Credits

Hanaisse - Mailbox and scroll meshes provided for the various houses, as well as valuable playtesting to make sure it all works.

Disclaimer

This mod is not made, guaranteed, or supported by Microsoft, Zenimax, Bethesda Game Studios, or any of their affiliates.

Version 4.0.1

Set the LOD flag on the courier's house so it will show up at a distance.
Fixed a bug in the load game event that would cause the delivery method to reset. This should now stick properly once you've selected the method again after loading the game.

• 1 year later...

Version 4.0.2

Added support for Myrwatch Tower and Tundra Homestead DLCs.
Navmesh cleaning with newer versions of xEdit.

• 5 weeks later...

Version 4.0.3

Added support for Shadowfoot Sanctum DLC.
Fixed a bug that was preventing DLC mailboxes from being disabled if those DLCs are not installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 4.0.4

The script for assigning Shadowfoot Sanctum was not working due to an incorrect compiled filename.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Good to see you, Elaura.  How goes it? :D

10 hours ago, Elaura said:

Just curious, have you ever considered adding the option to tip a courier after he's delivered a message?

That's not a bad idea and that makes sense.

Thank you! I hope Arthmoor thinks it's a good idea.For RP purposes, I'd love the option to give the guy 5 if I'm in a quiet city up to 50 if he's found me in some amazingly dangerous or unlikely place. 

• 2 months later...

Version 4.1

Due to an ongoing large number of mods occupying the space where the courier's house is, I have relocated him to the southwest side of Whiterun on the main road just past the stables area. Even in the even this new location clashes with something else, it's a spot that's far easier to manage compatibility with.

Make sure you uninstall any existing patches you may have for this mod as they are no longer valid and may crash your game.

USSEP 4.2.3 or greater is now a requirement for use of this mod.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:46 AM, Elaura said:

I'd love the option to give the guy 5 if I'm in a quiet city up to 50 if he's found me in some amazingly dangerous or unlikely place. 

The courier have now and then found me in a Ancient Nordic Barrow, just to deliver a letter or a message.

You can always tell him you want to change the delivery method to one of your vanilla homes or that you'll check in with him to pick stuff up at his shack.

• 3 months later...

I have been searching for quite some time and I would like to ask the author if he could rerelease the previous version of this mod with the original position by the bridges?  I have started using the new Whiterun overhauo called capital city whiterun which is splendid but it has inn that is in the same place as is the new position of the courier service.  And as this have been one of the essential mods adding to realism of the Skyrim I started searching for theolder version, but itwas quite suprisedfor me to find out that arthmoor had removed all previous version of this mod.

Cheers MK

As much as I'm sure it would help, I'm not going to put up the older version in the location over by the bridge because doing so would obligate maintaining support for it in that location and it's simply not feasible anymore with the large number of mods that take up that corner. It's the whole reason I moved PCS over to the SW side of the roadway outside of Whiterun.

If this inn is in the same place, it'll need a patch, which should also me much easier to accomplish over here in the new spot as well. The old one just made that too much of a problem.

Thats is all right, I admit I had the previous version of the mod till recently then I have follishly saw that it had been recently updated and redownloaded deleting the previous version before noticing that it had relocated the building. Again thank you for your reply.

Cheers MK

• 4 weeks later...

Version 4.1.1

One of the courier's AI packs contained unnecessary reference to the old location which could have caused him to stop at the bridge if his route home took him through there.

• 1 year later...

Version 4.1.3

Added support for Gallows Hall, Bloodchill Manor, and Goldenhills Plantation.
Merged script fixes from USSEP 4.2.9.

Version 4.1.2

Due to a resurfaced quest dialogue bug, the courier's setup quest will now be started by a control script instead of relying on the flaky behavior of the start-game-enabled quest flag.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 4.1.4

The mailbox array had to be redefined to hold more elements because Papyrus will not expand an existing property array. Which I should have seen coming....

• 2 months later...

Hi, Arthmoor! Glad to see you are still updating your mods. I always feel safe adding them to my load order. I was wondering if you have given any thought to being able to tip the courier?

Version 4.1.5

The Courier was still making in person deliveries even if the "office pickup" option was selected when talking to him previously.

• 5 months later...