[RELz] Mertz's WizBAIN thread

Beermotor

Brumbek is doing more work - It looks like there may be something SSE NIF Optimiser is doing to a mesh that is in Ustengrav that causes the game to CTD with 2.06.1 installed, as you set foot through Ustengrav door .. But I think that will just result in a few mesh updates

2 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Brumbek is doing more work - It looks like there may be something SSE NIF Optimiser is doing to a mesh that is in Ustengrav that causes the game to CTD with 2.06.1 installed, as you set foot through Ustengrav door .. But I think that will just result in a few mesh updates

Yeah I saw that.  The funny thing is I converted my meshes 2.04 in SSE NIF Optimiser 2.5 and did the Ustengrav stuff without any problems. 

I was originally going to go check it out once I got the wizard finished  but I may take a break to see if I can reproduce it.

EDIT: Yep, CTD'ed immediately on entering.  Going to test something else.

EDIT2: yeah I installed SMIM 2.06-1 with the new wizard.  It works, I'm just going over it again to make sure I've not missed anything.

I think this may have something to do with the "clean skinning" flag that was introduced in SSE NIF Optimizer 2.6, I recall I converted the 2.04 meshes with v2.5 which didn't have this feature, AND I also noted that when Brumbek converted the meshes for the BSA, he hadn't cleared the skinning. I may be on to something.

One moment please while I duplicate 2.04 meshes into 2.06 and test.

Update 2: OK I was dumb. I didn't anneal properly. Ahem. Works with 2.04 stock. Fortunately I saved a copy of SSE NIF Optimizer and I'm going to try a conversion again.

Update 3: Confirmed it works with SSE NIF Optimizer 2.5. Trying something else.

Update 4: works fine with 2.7 with "Clean Skinning" and "remove parallax" stuff unticked.

Update 5: works fine as long as you don't have "Ruins Clutter" Improved selected.

@alt3rn1ty I figured it out. It is the new stuff added from "Ruins Clutter Improved".

-Reviewed raiserfx's awesome Ruins Clutter Improved mod version 2.9. He greatly improved the candles, so I've taken his meshes and new candle textures and incorporated them into SMIM to avoid conflicts. Install his mod first then SMIM. Let SMIM overwrite his mod. You'll get all his new candles and all SMIM's stuff too.
-Candle meshes updated as part of "13 Lanterns" SMIM install option: candlelanternwithcandle01.nif, loadscreenadventure01.nif, loadscreenshopsmagic01.nif, loadscreenadventure02.nif. I copied his changes including removing the fake candle lights from the loading screen meshes, FYI.
-Candle meshes updated as part of "17 Nordic Catacombs..." SMIM install option: norcathallsm1way01.nif, norcathallsm1way02.nif, norcathallsm1way03.nif, norcathallsm2way01.nif, norcathallsm3way01.nif, norcathallsm3way02.nif, norcathallsm4way01.nif, norcathallsm4way02.nif. Also nortmphallbgcolumn01.nif, nortmphallbgcolumn03.nif, nortmphallbgcolumnsm01.nif, nortmphallbgcolumnsm02.nif.
-Candle meshes updated as part of "71 Candelabra..." SMIM install option: impcandelabracandle01.nif, impcandelabracandle02.nif, impcandelabracandleoff01.nif, impcandle01.nif, impwallsconce02candleoff01.nif, impwallsconce02candleon01.nif, impwallsconcecandle01.nif, impwallsconcecandle02.nif, impwallsconcecandleoff01.nif.
-Candle meshes updated as part of "72 Chandeliers" SMIM install option: impchandelliercandle01.nif, impchandelliercandle02.nif, impchandelliercandle03.nif, impchandelliercandleoff.nif.
-In order to ensure users get the right modified candle textures, I've copied the three candle textures plus one burning effect to all four folders: 13, 17, 71, 72. They will overwrite each other upon install so as to not waste disk space.

I installed 2.06-1 stock but unticked those subfolders and there is no CTD.  Off to the Nexus to tell @Brumbek

Update: I posted to the thread and PM'ed Brumbek so I hope he sees it before he spends too much time trying to fix it in his own meshes.

So to narrow it down to which meshes, I think the root cause may be the new candle meshes from Ruins Clutter Improved. There's a draugr corpse in Ustengrav down the steps from the entrance with candles around him. That is well within the bounds of the potentially visible set of meshes rendered on load-in.

I confirmed the Ruins Clutter Improved meshes were in the Oldrim format, but converting them does not prevent CTDs.  Ruins Clutter Improved -SSE NIF Optimizer Output Log.7z

8 minutes ago, Beermotor said:

OK I need to go mow the yard, but I think I have a nice working copy of the SMIM 2.06-1 wizard for SSE.

Attached is a BETA build of the wizard. Please feel free to test and let me know if you encounter any issues.

SMIM 2.06-1 BETA Wizard.txt

Ah, thank you, this is just what I came here for!  Downloading SMIM 2.06.1 now, will test soon.

4 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Yes...I messaged ousnius about this. Here is an excerpt from my PM:

Recently I tried to release SMIM with all optimized meshes for SE. However, users reported crashing and I narrowed it down to some meshes from Ruins Clutter Improved that I copied to SMIM with permission. I took his meshes and then optimized them (his Special Edition mod doesn't use optimized meshes).

Here is a package with comparison meshes from the original game which work fine and the optimized meshes that crash the game. The cell I'm using to test is Ustengrav01. Although any game cell that uses these Nordic Temple meshes will work.

I think the issue may be related to how raiserfx added candle glows and flickers to these meshes...maybe he didn't do it right? Maybe the optimizer can't figure out what to do? I don't know.

So anyone can download that package to compare the meshes. I figure the NifOptimizer utility will need an update to account for semi-broken meshes like Ruins Clutter's new candle Nordic meshes that work with Original Skyrim but fail to convert to SE. Thanks everyone.

1 hour ago, Beermotor said:

OK I need to go mow the yard, but I think I have a nice working copy of the SMIM 2.06-1 wizard for SSE.

Attached is a BETA build of the wizard. Please feel free to test and let me know if you encounter any issues.

SMIM 2.06-1 BETA Wizard.txt

Testing shortly in the SMIM project I have based on 2.06.1 - Then off to do the same RE triffids in the garden, will let you know if I find any quirks

32 minutes ago, Brumbek said:

Yes...I messaged ousnius about this. Here is an excerpt from my PM:

So anyone can download that package to compare the meshes. I figure the NifOptimizer utility will need an update to account for semi-broken meshes like Ruins Clutter's new candle Nordic meshes that work with Original Skyrim but fail to convert to SE. Thanks everyone.

YES! :) Excellent, thanks Brumbek, and apologies if this all inadvertently led you into needing to do an additional update more than you were expecting to do (I know whats its like uploading a gygs worth of mod files on Nexus). We didnt think you were coming back so Mertz had the best of intentions of trying to get things back to a good state initially (and considering the bad state of MO / MO2 / NMM going forward, it seemed logical that the only remaining reliable Mod Manager needed supporting with a new Wizard) .. and so it began.

Hopefully Ousnius will now be able to squeeze out any stubborn unforeseen bugs with his tools latest version.

4 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Testing shortly in the SMIM project I have based on 2.06.1 - Then off to do the same RE triffids in the garden, will let you know if I find any quirks

OK Couple of questions - After choosing the Everything Option :

Sub-packages x 2 - 20 (Furniture HD / HD Weathered appearance) .. Neither of them are selected, I think I would have included at least one of these for the Everything option - Edit : Scratch this question .. Just found out via doing the Custom setup that these are actually reduced texture versions of the furniture, the title including HD just makes you think that these could actually be better options than the default SMIM Furniture

Sub-Package - 28 Hawk Dragonborn fix .. Is that not included because the plugins are in the relative SMIM Merged All plugins ?, but if that is the case are the string files in this sub-package not needed ?

.. And a similar question to the last reference sub-packages 35 and 36 (though there are no string files involved), aren't 36 plugins required additionally .. Unless they are included in the SMIM Merged All plugin ?

56 Windmills Skymills Compatability Sails were chosen, but I do not have Skymills installed - Although I think I get that these dont need Skymills they just look better especially when used with DynDOLOD. Edit : Found that this is different than the Custom setup defaults, which include the SMIM mesh with better sails textures, and do not use the Skymills compatible sails by default .. I'm personally torn on this one preferring what you have now, but I think it ought to be the same as the Custom default selection

Otherwise .. Good calls on the defaults for the full Everything selection. Some of them could be a personal preference either / or, but I think you chose what the majority would have if they wanted a "click one choice for the best of everything"

Will see if there's anything going through other more detailled option choices

000.png

So this probably isn't the right place to ask this...but users are all reporting 2.06.1 of the ORIGINAL Skyrim SMIM won't install any .esp files when using Mod Organizer...they claim something broke between 2.05 and 2.06.1. I did clean up the installer script...but nothing functionally changed. Anyway, I don't use Mod Organizer...if anybody has any insight, please do let me know...I just don't want to take the time to debug what works fine in NMM...thanks!

PS: I've discovered what is wrong with the 2.06.1 SE optimized Ruins Clutter meshes. The NiBillboardNode children names are not unique, which then crashes the game. I'm working with ousnius to program a way to solve this with the optimizer. For now, I can just rename the NiBillboardNode children nodes to use unique string names.

Also, if anyone has other suggestions or improvements to SMIM itself or the organization and installation of it, please feel free to post or PM me with suggestions. Thanks.

Erk sorry, I only use Wrye Bash, I have dabbled with NMM in the past just to get the dual scripting (FOMod and Wizard) working for my mods .. Then un-installed it again afterwards.

It is probably good to keep the FOMod scripting going though for when Vortex becomes a public thing, and I would guess if NMM is good with your scripts then Vortex will be too (thats what I am hoping happens anyway and not much needs changing for our legacy mods)

MO / MO2 is unknown territory for me, I never liked the VFS idea of installing things on another part of your hard drive, only to have the games calls for those files intercepted by MO and redirected to where they are actually installed = Why bother with all the redirection. The best advantage imho was the ability to have multiple different profiles of mod setups you could switch between, but I never had a call for it so didn't install any of the MOs. Its a shame its only advantage is going to be ruined by Windows updates sometime in the near future.

I have now gone through the custom options in the new SMIM Wizard and cant find anything to moan about :)

Just add one thing to my previous bunch of questions for the "Everything" option ..

Brumbeks Red Tomatoes should be among the best of everything too I reckon (They are worded as Recommended by Brumbek in the Custom setup description).

Also : I havent managed to break the wizard at all :nerd:

1 hour ago, alt3rn1ty said:

I have now gone through the custom options in the new SMIM Wizard and cant find anything to moan about :)

Just add one thing to my previous bunch of questions for the "Everything" option ..

Brumbeks Red Tomatoes should be among the best of everything too I reckon (They are worded as Recommended by Brumbek in the Custom setup description).

Also : I havent managed to break the wizard at all :nerd:

Thank you for testing it out. I'm not sure if that's a thing I copied from the FOMOD or if that's a bug.  I'll double-check all your findings in a bit after I do some things around the house. We live in practically a jungle/swamp so I spend more and more time each summer making sure the trees and vines don't overtake my property.

Also I updated the ELFX wizard now that 3.05 is out. The only change in this one is the addition of merged "no player houses" option.

14 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

OK I double-checked this against the FOMOD ModuleConfig.xml and it looks like '23 Tomato Pure Red without Blemish' is not in the Skyrim SE Everything payload,  but it can be selected (and is the default) if you go through the custom install.  

@Brumbek was this intentional? I love those tomatoes too :)

Also since I've reviewed the wizard again and everything should be good to go for now.

UPDATED: SMIM 2.06-1 SSE Wizard.

The LE version is coming. I need to diff the two editions to make sure I don't miss anything.

UPDATED: SMIM 2.06-1 Skyrim Legendary Edition wizard.

While I was updating my DynDOLOD stuff in honor of the 2.30 release (wow all kinds of RELz this weekend) I took the time to get the LE wizard updated for SMIM.

@Beermotor Found another mod needs a Wizard if you are willing :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2017/?

LeanWolfs Better Shaped Weapons : Its just a heap of replacer meshes and textures, very nicely done (Mehrunes Razor in Skyrim always bugged me, why they fattened it up in comparison to the Oblivion design was a bit of a shock), has options for some of them, is nicely sub-packaged but is primarily FOMod driven .. Just needs a Wizard adding.

Probably could do with two paths, an everything and a custom similar to SMIM

Edit : Also, SMIM is now at 2.07, haven't grabbed it yet it just popped up on my Nexus tracking notifications. I am strongly pulled towards using the BSA version for optimal loading, but going to stick with the many custom loose options just to have the few personal choices, and well its another fine wizard for testing Wrye Bash dev :)

6 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

@Beermotor Found another mod needs a Wizard if you are willing :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2017/?

LeanWolfs Better Shaped Weapons : Its just a heap of replacer meshes and textures, very nicely done (Mehrunes Razor in Skyrim always bugged me, why they fattened it up in comparison to the Oblivion design was a bit of a shock), has options for some of them, is nicely sub-packaged but is primarily FOMod driven .. Just needs a Wizard adding.

Probably could do with two paths, an everything and a custom similar to SMIM

Edit : Also, SMIM is now at 2.07, haven't grabbed it yet it just popped up on my Nexus tracking notifications. I am strongly pulled towards using the BSA version for optimal loading, but going to stick with the many custom loose options just to have the few personal choices, and well its another fine wizard for testing Wrye Bash dev :)

Actually I used to use it and I have the beginnings of a wizard already written. :)

I think that when I originally looked at it I was new and that intimidated me, but after SMIM I fear nothing (except XPMSSE).

That's excellent on the SMIM release. I'll check it out this afternoon when I get home if I can't get some time to look at it sooner. 

BSW probably could do with a couple of plugin checks too with DataFileExists, for Dual Sheath Redux (still not updated for SSE), and Gemling Queens Jewelry and a few others (see optional section of the SSE description) which some of the options are dependant upon. You are probably aware anyway but just mentioned it in case.

SMIM 2.07 SSE, from a quick eyeball side-by-side comparison I think it has just lost those "95 Merged ESP OS" sub-packages

So probably the reverse is true for LE

00.5.png

6 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

BSW probably could do with a couple of plugin checks too with DataFileExists, for Dual Sheath Redux (still not updated for SSE), and Gemling Queens Jewelry and a few others (see optional section of the SSE description) which some of the options are dependant upon. You are probably aware anyway but just mentioned it in case.

SMIM 2.07 SSE, from a quick eyeball side-by-side comparison I think it has just lost those "95 Merged ESP OS" sub-packages

Excellent. I actually still use Gemling Queen Jewelry since I ported it myself way back when so I have that one. I'll have to find the name of the plugin that Dual Sheath Redux uses but that should be too difficult.

Regarding SMIM 2.07, I scanned over the update notes and it looks like most of the changes were bug fixes but I'll double check when I get home. 

10 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

You were spot-on correct, sir. :beer:

Since there was no change necessary on the SSE side, I've incremented the version and re-uploaded.

Checking LE next.

And SMIM 2.07 for LE is also identical to its predecessor. Incremented the version and re-uploaded.

Should be good to go now. :)

LeanWolf's Better Weapons update:

This one is crazy but I've got probably 3/4 of it done.  Lots of flags, holy cow.

Spoiler

flagNoGreatswordSheaths = 0
flagDualSheathRedux = 0
flagInstallall = 0
flagCustom = 0
flagIron = 0
flagDraugr = 0
flagGhostblade = 0
flagImperial = 0
flagSteel = 0
flagSilver = 0
flagOrcish = 0
flagElven = 0
flagNordHero = 0
flagDwarven = 0
flagGlass = 0
flagChillrend = 0
flagEbony = 0
flagDaedric = 0
flagNightingale = 0
flagDawnbreaker = 0
flagScimitar = 0
flagMehrunesRazor = 0
flagKeening = 0
flagCustom = 0
flagDawnguard = 0
flagDragonborn = 0
flagSkyforge = 0
flagGlassChoose = 0
flagKeening = 0
flagDawnbreakerChoose = 0
flagRunedNordHero = 0
flagUHSilver = 0

Every one of them needs an "If" statement. :P  67 conditional install payloads in the FOMOD.