[RELz] Mertz's WizBAIN thread

Beermotor

3 hours ago, Beermotor said:

@TechAngel85

I have a gift for you: Farmhouse Chimneys SSE Wizard.txt

I really dig this mod so I got a wild hair and whipped a wizard up for it, despite the fact it doesn't technically need one.

It is fairly well tested but I don't have Falskaar (:sleeping:) so I didn't explicitly test with it present. 

EDIT: One last thing before I forget - I did make a small change to the description on the parallax meshes: so far the only forward movement I've heard of on parallax occlusion mapping has been on the ReShade side of the shader world, but AFAIK it doesn't work like the DX9 ENB stuff did.  DX11 has far better hardware tessellation support so maybe we'll see something sooner or later.

Awesome! Thanks!

I'm planning on updated the mod sometime with Settlements Expanded support, but I'll go ahead upload the wizard sometime today.

19 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

Awesome! Thanks!

I'm planning on updated the mod sometime with Settlements Expanded support, but I'll go ahead upload the wizard sometime today.

That's great. :) 

Speaking of great, I just ran through the Immersive Sounds Compendium wizard you did and I'm very impressed. Exceptionally well done.  I'm also going to steal borrow some of your ideas. ;)

I feel I've been remiss in asking people to endorse mods; it is an important thing for mod visibility on the Nexus and most humans forget to go back and endorse mods they enjoy.  It's such a little thing but important IMO.

@TechAngel85 Are there any plans for putting a wizard in the root of Realistic Water Two SE

Just to have a visual difference via Wizard Images of the options would be good for that mod

Edit : :D Disregard, just noticed its in the OP already, hell this project has expanded.

Edit 2 : I like \n page titles, never occurred to me to try that

Well back to the radio, rocking chair and shoup for me

1 hour ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Well back to the radio, rocking chair and shoup for me

Pfftt.. I learned it from watching you!

Hey @TechAngel85 the offer still stands - if you want me to post a wizard on the OP just pop it up on here and I'll link back to it.

Eventually I'll figure out how to set up a page on the Nexus.. I think I can give collaborator access to other people, possibly(?).

41 minutes ago, Beermotor said:

Eventually I'll figure out how to set up a page on the Nexus.. I think I can give collaborator access to other people, possibly(?).

Yep, once the mod page is created ( Your User Area, Files, Add New File - NB : Rules on Nexus state you must have at least one file for a Mod Page, else it gets taken down by moderators, you can use a pdf or something as a placeholder ( or even as in my Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide .. the pdf guide is the file :) ) ).

Get the person you wish to add as an additional admin to look at their User Area and give you their ID No.

Then when at your mod page, use the Mod Page Management option "Edit Attributes", then scroll down to User Permissions

0000.png

000.png

22 minutes ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Yep, once the mod page is created ( Your User Area, Files, Add New File - NB : Rules on Nexus state you must have at least one file for a Mod Page, else it gets taken down by moderators, you can use a pdf or something as a placeholder ( or even as in my Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide .. the pdf guide is the file :) ) ).

Get the person you wish to add as an additional admin to look at their User Area and give you their ID No.

Then when at your mod page, use the Mod Page Management option "Edit Attributes", then scroll down to User Permissions

Reveal hidden contents

0000.png

000.png

Awesome thank you!

I was curious about the having files thing also. I've got tons of things to upload but I want to do a good once-over on them all before I do it.

Before I go mucking things up, will this work?

If boolean1 == False & boolean2 == True
    Do something
EndIf

I only want to "do something" if one value returns false and the other true, at the same time.

11 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

Before I go mucking things up, will this work?

If boolean1 == False & boolean2 == True
    Do something
EndIf

I only want to "do something" if one value returns false and the other true, at the same time.

I was finally able to test it. Seems to be working okay.

On 7/22/2017 at 6:16 AM, Beermotor said:

@TechAngel85

I have a gift for you: Farmhouse Chimneys SSE Wizard.txt

I really dig this mod so I got a wild hair and whipped a wizard up for it, despite the fact it doesn't technically need one.

It is fairly well tested but I don't have Falskaar (:sleeping:) so I didn't explicitly test with it present. 

EDIT: One last thing before I forget - I did make a small change to the description on the parallax meshes: so far the only forward movement I've heard of on parallax occlusion mapping has been on the ReShade side of the shader world, but AFAIK it doesn't work like the DX9 ENB stuff did.  DX11 has far better hardware tessellation support so maybe we'll see something sooner or later.

I just wanted to say thanks again for this wizard! After seeing this script, I know why most users would run away from writing wizards! The way the script is written really is akin to programming. I dislike programing...:sick:

In any case I was able to figure it all out and figured out the way it was handling the installation wasn't quite right so I've updated a good portion of it. I've also adapted it for use with the classic version. Scarla has handed the reigns over to me for updating both versions of the mod now. I just finished up the wizard which means an update is imminent for the classic version. :)

Here's the new wizard I wrote for the classic Skyrim version, if you want to poke around at the changes I made: https://mega.nz/#!xxlFhC5R!IYvlPai3TfaeNqnWCj-ErPjq8PQzWgsMbzVJXpzQTdA

I downloaded it and checked it out. Looks great! I like it when someone finds a way to do something better than I did because I learn from it.  It's a win:win.

I see you're adding Wyrmstooth support. How soon is imminent?  :clap:

Edit: I guess a second question would be  - is the SSE version going to have the Wyrmstooth patch included? I ask because that was one of the first mods I ported to SSE for myself.

3 hours ago, Beermotor said:

I downloaded it and checked it out. Looks great! I like it when someone finds a way to do something better than I did because I learn from it.  It's a win:win.

I see you're adding Wyrmstooth support. How soon is imminent?  :clap:

Edit: I guess a second question would be  - is the SSE version going to have the Wyrmstooth patch included? I ask because that was one of the first mods I ported to SSE for myself.

The classic Skyrim (aka "oldrim"...I just dislike that term so I don't use it) will be getting an update momentarily. I do plan to add the Wyrmstooth addon back to the SSE version eventually. I just haven't ported it yet in order to do so. I'm also planning to expand both versions with support for Settlements Expanded, by Urtho. I just haven't gotten around to do that yet. I manage a lot of mods and am mainly the only Admin still active with STEP so I tend to bounce around from project to project.

On 8/1/2017 at 6:13 PM, TechAngel85 said:

The classic Skyrim (aka "oldrim"...I just dislike that term so I don't use it) will be getting an update momentarily. I do plan to add the Wyrmstooth addon back to the SSE version eventually. I just haven't ported it yet in order to do so. I'm also planning to expand both versions with support for Settlements Expanded, by Urtho. I just haven't gotten around to do that yet. I manage a lot of mods and am mainly the only Admin still active with STEP so I tend to bounce around from project to project.

Good deal. I haven't played with Settlements Expanded but I've heard good things about it and just downloaded it.  Let me know if you need help testing. :)

Hi Beermotor, if you do a wiz for FO4 CBBE, just a heads up if you have not seen it there is a new optional file which needs (and overwrites) the fles from the main file. It has reduced poly's and makes dismembermant work correctly now for CBBE (I think reducing the poly's may have been necessary to make dismemberment work).

Content of the optional file is just about everything from the main file replaced, but I noticed when I was at home that there were a few files not replaced .. And did not do a comparison of sub-packages so there may be an odd difference there .. But I reckon this optional file could also do with its own wizard, possibly highlighting differences graphically between the standard CBBE

A lot of work has gone into updating the armour and clothing too, so the original has replacers for vanilla, but now the optional has replacers for pretty much everything in CBBE to make all the wearables' dismember compatible too (be that slim / curvy / or .. hm .. the other one, cant remember just now).

Hey, Beermotor.  Moving over to this thread from the Tools of the Trade thread...

A Wizard for Brumbek's SMIM (Static Mesh Improvement Mod) would be awesome!  It's a lot, I know, but for some reason Brumbek dropped support for BAIN (it was in older versions of the mod).  Millions of people use that mod--plus it would be for both LE and SE Skyrim.

I humbly request a Wizard, kind sir.

9 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Hi Beermotor, if you do a wiz for FO4 CBBE, just a heads up if you have not seen it there is a new optional file which needs (and overwrites) the fles from the main file. It has reduced poly's and makes dismembermant work correctly now for CBBE (I think reducing the poly's may have been necessary to make dismemberment work).

Content of the optional file is just about everything from the main file replaced, but I noticed when I was at home that there were a few files not replaced .. And did not do a comparison of sub-packages so there may be an odd difference there .. But I reckon this optional file could also do with its own wizard, possibly highlighting differences graphically between the standard CBBE

A lot of work has gone into updating the armour and clothing too, so the original has replacers for vanilla, but now the optional has replacers for pretty much everything in CBBE to make all the wearables' dismember compatible too (be that slim / curvy / or .. hm .. the other one, cant remember just now).

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at it soon. This kind of tells me that Ousnius got back in touch with Caliente so the CBBE for SSE may be releasing soon as well. Pure conjecture of course. :)

7 hours ago, Malonn said:

Hey, Beermotor.  Moving over to this thread from the Tools of the Trade thread...

A Wizard for Brumbek's SMIM (Static Mesh Improvement Mod) would be awesome!  It's a lot, I know, but for some reason Brumbek dropped support for BAIN (it was in older versions of the mod).  Millions of people use that mod--plus it would be for both LE and SE Skyrim.

I humbly request a Wizard, kind sir.

Your wish may be fulfilled soon. I actually have a half-finished wizard that just needs finalizing. Like you said the mod went from a nice complex BAIN to some kind of mutant FOMOD atrocity so writing the wizard has been a challenge, but I think I'm past the hard part. All I have to do now is just make sure every piece gets accounted for. I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

Quick update for ELFX - new wizard for the new version. This wizard is way better than the one included in the mod, just overwrite the existing one.

5 hours ago, lmstearn said:

Brumbek's was probably the largest wiz ever created. Good to see that it will be maintained. :)

Thank you for the encouragement. :)

I've got the skeleton in place for the majority of the wizard, enough to test. I'm slowly filling it out with content as I go. Fortunately, aside from the actual plugins, the mesh installs are similar if not identical for the LE and SSE versions which will save my poor fingers from being typed down to nubs. 

A little teaser:

SMIM-progress.PNG.774e40a515979ddb15339a067defcaa8.PNG

I think I've got about 20 items down, 20 to go. 800 lines so far and I'm thinking it it will be at least twice that big once I'm done. 

Edit, or more accurately an aside: One thing that severely concerns me about this mod is that all of the meshes are in the old SLE format. The normal maps could probably benefit from some BC7 love as well. The SSE mesh format is improved and as I understand it, more efficient.  I'm not sure of the permissions situation (I'll go check) but it may benefit the community at large to break the mod out into separate LE and SSE versions just to get those meshes converted.

If I end up doing that, I'm not going to mess with a SLE version of the wizard. IMO SLE is superseded by SSE as a modding platform and the whole decision making BS at the bottom of the installer to account for missing DLC is spaghetti code of the highest order.

Yeah I have looked at SMIM a couple of times (actually got half way through doing it once, then wrapped in again and ditched the whole idea) and dont have confidence in what has been done for optmising the installation for SSE. There have been a couple of new versions of Ousnius SSE Nif Optimizer since Brumbek wrapped in (one quite recently), whether it would need or benefit from using the newer version or not I dont know to be honest .. Also there is the complexity of what requires and what does not require custom textures to be installed, where some vanilla meshes have had a custom mesh path change to the texture to be loaded, and custom meshes which have had major work (= less optimal with far more poly's) which only reference original texture paths ..

I shied away from it personally, not enough time to spend on doing the really good job it deserves - Its telling that the complexity of it even put off its own author, I think even he considers it to be too much of a chore now, and probably forgot some details along the way to ensure the wizard would work in all cases, and additionally if the wizard was ignored but just manually selected sub-packages were chosen by the user, how to ensure the logic of sub-packages worked for all possible combinations. Its a bit of a 'mare. Since he dropped the wizard, I just dropped using SMIM, so here's hoping you have good success with this too :hug:

Arthmoor once asked Brumbek if the Unofficial patches could use any meshes which were pure fixes, but Brumbek had lost track of all the individual meshes which could be classed as just that, and so said the project was free to use them so long as someone else found which ones they were. I guess he didnt start with a folder purely for those to be separate from the custom work, or if he did it became a bit of a mixed bag along the way.

1 hour ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Yeah I have looked at SMIM a couple of times (actually got half way through doing it once, then wrapped in again and ditched the whole idea) and dont have confidence in what has been done for optmising the installation for SSE. There have been a couple of new versions of Ousnius SSE Nif Optimizer since Brumbek wrapped in (one quite recently), whether it would need or benefit from using the newer version or not I dont know to be honest .. Also there is the complexity of what requires and what does not require custom textures to be installed, where some vanilla meshes have had a custom mesh path change to the texture to be loaded, and custom meshes which have had major work (= less optimal with far more poly's) which only reference original texture paths ..

I shied away from it personally, not enough time to spend on doing the really good job it deserves - Its telling that the complexity of it even put off its own author, I think even he considers it to be too much of a chore now, and probably forgot some details along the way to ensure the wizard would work in all cases, and additionally if the wizard was ignored but just manually selected sub-packages were chosen by the user, how to ensure the logic of sub-packages worked for all possible combinations. Its a bit of a 'mare. Since he dropped the wizard, I just dropped using SMIM, so here's hoping you have good success with this too :hug:

Arthmoor once asked Brumbek if the Unofficial patches could use any meshes which were pure fixes, but Brumbek had lost track of all the individual meshes which could be classed as just that, and so said the project was free to use them so long as someone else found which ones they were. I guess he didnt start with a folder purely for those to be separate from the custom work, or if he did it became a bit of a mixed bag along the way.

Great post, and I think your findings are matching everything I've observed this morning. I ran the whole mod through the newest NifOptimizer (the one that cleans up skinning and parallax attributes) and after a few minutes of chewing it finally spat out a 427K log file (zipped and attached: SMIM - SSE NIF Optimizer 20170805.7z ). It looks like it touched every single mesh in the mod, some more than others, so it absolutely needed processing.  I can't imagine how long it would take to run all 1338 meshes through NifSkope to do the same thing.

I checked the permissions on the mod and it looks like Brumbek doesn't mind reuse of the assets in the mod, and really doesn't mind repackaging as long as it isn't published on the Nexus. At least that's how I understand it. 

Question for you and anyone else that is reading: Do you think it would be OK if I just made a SSE repack (labeled as such with full credits to Brumbek) and put it up here on AFK Mods? I'm honestly don't care a bit about having anything on the Nexus at all, I care more about whether or not it produces a net benefit to others. 

The reason I ask is apparently, by looking at the Wizard work I did a month or so ago, I figured out the structure at some point and built this skeleton, but now looking back at it with rested eyes the vast majority of the logic in the FOMOD installer is to get around situations (Missing DLC, machines that can't handle 1024x1024 textures, etc) that aren't even concerns in SSE. If I could excise that cruft it would reduce the complexity and the potential for installer bugs considerably.

The Perms button on SSE Nexus I just copied into the spoiler below.

It would seem that Brumbek has added an Authors note which kind of contradicts the bullet points before it .. So anyone really could be forgiven for following that and ignoring the rest ..

Author notes

As of June 2017, users have permission to use SMIM assets freely in any mod. You can create any compatibility patches or add-ons that you want using SMIM stuff. You can upload SMIM to another site if you want. The only thing you can't do is repackage it and release it on the Nexus. Thanks to everyone for using SMIM.

But all the same I would send him a PM both here on AFK Mods ( he is a member ), and also on Nexus where ( if his PMs are not bursting at the seems ) he may well be more likely to log in periodically.

Grace period of a few weeks while working on it, with a view to withdraw if published and later there are problems.

I would link the original crediting everyone originally credited too, I dont think anyone would object knowing that the purpose of this re-do is to get it into a good usable state again aswell as ironing out the last of the SSE concerns (and considering the target Mod Manager NMM is no longer supported by its developers, which has happened after Brumbek made it FOMod format for that software .. And currently MO is similarly dropped by its author who is now working on an alpha of the new Vortex = FOMod support currently for the mod is a bit poo too, so it needs an alternative and reliable install method that is less complicated than manual installation for the majority of users) :

Edit : Also if you label it as just a BAIN (distinguishing it from the original file as specifically for Wrye Bash / Manual installation logical series of overwriting sub-packages) he may well be tempted to upload it in his own files .. or maybe give you editing access ?, might be worth asking.

Even without considering all the usual nice to check between authors etiquette, I would still say it would be ok to go ahead .. The Authors note was written after the Perms bullet points, and those are in full view of the author when in the act of writing the authors note, the authors note box is just after them as you scroll down the Edit Attributes dialogue on Nexus.

• Other user's assets

user_comment.pngSome assets in this file belong to other authors. You will need to seek permission from these authors before you can use their assets
  • Upload permission

tick.pngYou can upload this file to other sites but you must credit me as the creator of the file
  • Conversion permission

tick.pngYou can convert this file to work with other games as long as you credit me as the creator of the file
  • Modification permission

user_comment.pngYou must get permission from me before you are allowed to modify my files to improve it
  • Asset use permission

tick.pngYou are allowed to use the assets in this file without permission or crediting me
  • Asset use permission in mods/files that are being sold

cross.pngYou are not allowed to use assets from this file in any mods/files that are being sold, for money, on Steam Workshop or other platforms
  • Author notes

As of June 2017, users have permission to use SMIM assets freely in any mod. You can create any compatibility patches or add-ons that you want using SMIM stuff. You can upload SMIM to another site if you want. The only thing you can't do is repackage it and release it on the Nexus. Thanks to everyone for using SMIM.
  • File credits

Thanks to modder NebuLa for Skyrim HD, which I used for the new furniture textures I made. Thank you for letting me use and modify your great textures! Much obliged!
    Thanks to modder raiserfx for letting me use his high quality cave lamp, chests, and metal textures and more as a base for mine.
    Thanks to modder Ancient76 for letting me use his higher-resolution textures from Skyrim Realistic Overhaul.
    Thanks to modder Langley for letting me use part of his Texture Shop textures.
    Thanks to modder pfaffendrill for letting me modify his texture from his great Jewels of the Nord mod.
    Thanks to modder tehx3n for letting me use his High Res Hawk Texture Replacement mod for my Hawk.
    Thanks to modder Gizmo for letting me edit his wood texture from Re-Defined Dungeons.
    Thanks to modder DoubleBrewski for letting me edit and include his Animated Dwemer Lifts mod.
    Thanks to modder xrayy for letting me modify his texture from his Better Ropes mod.
    Thanks to modder Corepc for reducing my textures, which saved me some time.
    Thanks to Mayang for the great free texture resources which I modified to use with several objects, such as both new barrels. http://mayang.com/textures/
    Thanks to bgfons.com for the awesome metal sheet texture I used for the Tankard.
    Thanks to www.publicdomainpictures.net for the bird feather photo I used for the Quill.
    Thanks to NegativeFeedback for this gold texture used on my lantern: http://negativefeedback.deviantart.com/art/gold-leaf-texture-03-147395446.
    Thanks to smileys-4-eva for this blood texture used on my bloody lantern: http://browse.deviantart.com/?offset=96#/d3252et.
    Thanks to Johannes Schriewer (http://dark738.deviantart.com/) for his great metal nail photograph.
    Thanks to phoenixkeyblack (http://phoenixkeyblack.deviantart.com/) for his great Celtic Knot Carving image.
    Thanks to HHH316 for his metal texture.
    Thanks to ShadowRunner27 for his rough metal texture.
    Thanks to MaxTextures.com (http://www.mb3d.co.uk) for a few various textures.
    Thanks to Wikipedia for a few textures like the rabbit's fur.
    Thanks to KeReN-R on DeviantArt for some nice blood brushes (http://keren-r.deviantart.com/art/Blood-Brushes-20739863).
    Thanks to Outside the Fray for the great tree textures (http://www.outsidethefray.com/2012/10/19-tree-bark-textures/).
    Thanks to basictextures.com for the free textures.
    Thanks to wallpaper-kid.com for some wood textures.
    Thanks to plplecuyer for the multi-language translation Strings files.
    Thanks to cgtextures.com for various textures.
    Thanks to http://insightdesigns.co.uk for a scratch texture.
    Thanks to http://imgkid.com for a scratched film grain texture.
    Thanks to Esoterrickabod for various photos and carved wood image.
    Thanks to http://www.freecreatives.com/textures/rope-texture.html for the rope picture I used for the Solitude Docks ropes.
    Thanks to photos-public-domain.com for various textures.
    Thanks to http://www.texturepalace.com/ for various textures such as the scaffold bridge moldy wood.
    Thanks to http://www.myfreetextures.com for various textures such as the scaffold bridge wood edges.
    Thanks to SjoertJansen for SkyMills and pfaffendrill for the larger windmills idea.
    Thanks to dukefx for letting me use his Real Roads mod meshes for my bridges.
    Thanks to http://www.startextures.com for a wood texture.
    Thanks to http://hoodavirender.blogspot.com for a few textures like rusted metal.
    Thanks to Danrok from http://www.aoaforums.com for some metal textures.
    Thanks to http://texturify.com for some metal textures.
    Thanks to x0ne for pointing out the carriage and smelter meshes had bugged vertex color alpha values, which caused bizarre flashes when using ENB.
    Thanks to robiichan and Cronon for testing the XB1 Orange Marker fix test mod for me.
    Thanks to TES5Edit team and matortheeternal and his Merge Plugins script.
    Thanks to the whole NifSkope team over the years. Without their years of effort no-one would be able to edit .nif files! Thank you!
    Thanks to zilav for making NifScan, an awesome utility that creates a report of various Skyrim .nif format errors in mesh files. I used this starting with version 1.95 to fix a whole lot of mesh errors.
    Thanks to Anton0028 for making Nif Healer, a helpful utility to check for bad string names and missing NiTriShape names. Although SMIM didn't actually have any of these errors (good job me), but I still thank him for the utility.
    Thanks to ousnius for checking all my meshes with his custom Outfit Studio code to find NiTriShapeData blocks with missing Has_Tangents Vector_Flags.
    Thanks to NifUtilsSuite by skyfox. Without this tool, I would have no way of editing Skyrim collision or viewing it to ensure accuracy. Thank you!
    Thanks to Thallassa for providing a link to a community Code for the Skyrim Special Edition Creation Kit Beta.
    Lastly (but firstly), thanks to Bethesda for creating awesome games with irksome flaws that we modders obsess over.

@alt3rn1ty thank you for putting all of that together. I'll take some time later to see if I can get in touch with him.

Speaking of, here's a very BETA wizard for SMIM. It works - it'll get SMIM installed under SSE for certain, but I haven't tested it under SLE.

Basically it is feature complete, it'll install everything very competently but it doesn't check to see if you want the merged ESPs for certain things, but I think that's only really an issue under Skyrim LE because of the DLC fuckery.

You can probably tell from reading through it that I'll probably be better off BCFing it or restructuring it. So many DeSelectEspms.

EDIT: I deleted this buggy version of the SMIM wizard - see the OP for a new version.

Will try it when I get home later - But there's something I forgot to mention too .. Those merged plugins, not sure how old the scripting is that merged them but I am pretty sure Mators Merging scripts were used .. and there have been bugfix updates to those too since Brumbek was active (I dont know where they are these days, somewhere on github I think) ..

So the original merging of LE plugins could possibly benefit to being redone .. And then it follows that the resulting newly merged plugins would then need to be put through the SSE CK to make them compatible with SE, and then finally given the latest xEdit cleaning procedure. :sick:

@Arthmoor would probably be better to advise on this, but I think probably all of the above does not actually need doing, but there may be minor benefits if the objective is to make it as SSE compatible as possible .. idk for sure if any of that is worth going to the trouble of doing.

Pretty sure Brumbek would have made sure SMIM was the best it could be when he gave up .. but developments since he may not have known about, nor has time to re-address now, evidence being in what the new Nif Optimizer has just amended, will newer Mator scripts be similarly beneficial for the plugin merges.

If you're asking me if the esp needs to get loaded into the SSE CK for a proper port, the answer is yes. If that's not done then you end up with random errors in the game and possible CTDs too. I haven't actually installed SMIM for SSE because so far I just haven't seemed to miss what it offered so it didn't seem worth the hassle for me.