Settler greetings glitched?

somethingbrite

Hi

I've not found a definitive answer to this anywhere online yet and I'm not sure what the mechanism of this glitch might be.

Main glitch right now appears to be that Settlers in Sanctuary will frequently greet the Player with the generic "need assistance" greeting. ("we could sure use your help" "we are in some real trouble here") however the "Quest giver" is absent. 

Previously the quest giving settler would be in a certain location at the edge of the settlement. - for a while now both before and after install of Unofficial patch this settler does not appear to be triggered at all. No settler can be found at the location and no other settler appears to give the quest. (I have talked to them all) 

Are there any of you folks who have a good understanding of the game engine that might be able to explain or at least guess at what is going on here and/or would it be possible to reset this behaviour? 

Secondary observation. 

This is something that I observed a lot early in my game, however the conditions have not presented themselves recently so, it may still be "a thing" just that I have not been around to witness it. 

When Player Character is responding to a settlement attack. If the player character does not kill a certain percentage of attackers themselves the settler will complain. This will occur if settlement defenses are so strong that all attackers are vaporized within seconds. 

(at tenpines bluff for example my settlement defenses were so strong that it was not possible to kill more than one or two attackers before the turrets got the rest.) This results in settler greeting being stuck on "those raiders sure hit us hard" type dialogue. 

As mildly annoying as these conditions might be my interest is really more about understanding the game mechanic itself. If anybody can shed some light on this that is much appreciated, as is any insight into or links to good resources that explain the game mechanic in general 

Many thanks in advance.

On 8.6.2017 at 10:13 AM, somethingbrite said:

As mildly annoying as these conditions might be my interest is really more about understanding the game mechanic itself. If anybody can shed some light on this that is much appreciated, as is any insight into or links to good resources that explain the game mechanic in general.

Attacker aliases react to OnDeath events, and these events provide the rererence of the killer. If this has been the player, all settlers at the respective workshop will be added to a specific faction that is checked by the dialogue conditions.

On 6/15/2017 at 1:24 PM, Sclerocephalus said:

Attacker aliases react to OnDeath events, and these events provide the rererence of the killer. If this has been the player, all settlers at the respective workshop will be added to a specific faction that is checked by the dialogue conditions.

Hi Sclerocephalus

Cheers for that information. - so this statement refers to the dialogue resulting from a successful or failed settlement raid right? 

Regarding glitched workshop/settler quests. - Is it possible to terminate such a quest either through console or through savegame edit? - For example to specifically terminate/complete or clean up a glitched kidnap quest at a specific workshop?

I've examined Sanctuary workshop and the settlers there with showvars console command and keep seeing reference to "Minrecruit02" (specific to the way it appears when a kidnap quest is active at that settlement. - I checked a number of other settlements and a few savegames.)

I can't find any settlement boss amongst the settlers and dialogue with them all is standard trade.

On 6/19/2017 at 11:10 PM, Sclerocephalus said:

What is that glitch you're talking about ?

Hi

I think I figured it out. - It was a Settlement/Settler Quest which had hung/bugged out somehow. 

Quest = Minrecruit02 - in this instance Kidnapped settler at Sanctuary

Condition observed. = Settlers at Sanctuary dialogue indicated they need help. One settler confirmed as missing. No settlement boss/spokesperson to provide quest. Quest did not appear in PipBoy quest list.

Further observation = Using console commands (Am on PC) it was possible to use ShowVars on all settlers and on Workshop. This revealed that all settlers and workshop had a script running "Alias settlementNPC's on Quest minrecruit02" 

I didn't screenshot it so cannot be sure but I think "getstage Minrecruit02" revealed the quest stage was  40(?)

Resolved by finding the kidnapped settler. (I searched all common kidnap locations and found her at Medford Hospital) then used "resetquest" and "completequest" commands in that order. - "completequest" alone did not appear to fix the issue. I should also have tried a reset/complete test without rescuing the kidnapee first. However I guess this would result in a lost settler as they would not have a script running to bring them home? - I still have my save games from this experiment/process if this would be a helpful test?

Since performing this reset process I have had one additional quest trigger at this settlement (raider troubles at...) with settlement boss/spokesperson settler appearing in the correct location to deliver the quest. Therefore this appears to have resolved the issue.

Edited by somethingbrite
additional info