Wrye Bash - All Games

Utumno

I tried the newest (12/24) WIP build and I am getting the "7z.exe return value:7" error on every zipped package install attempt. (I am using the standalone executable & Fallout 4.)

I don't really need the FOMOD support, but the newer ESL functionality is important and useful. Is my best bet to just use the build that @Sharlikran linked to a few posts up? Thank you.

Regards,

Langeston

edit: I've also been having an issue where sometimes when I attempt to repackage an archive, the "Pack to Archive" window doesn't pop up and WB becomes non-responsive. (I suspect that the window actually does open, but opens behind the main window, thus making it inaccessible.) The only fix is to kill the process, but in doing so, any changes I've made during that session are "forgotten." I don't remember this happening much (if at all) before, but it happens enough now that it is a bit of a nuisance.

@Langeston Mine does not have the fix for the space in the temp folder because it was being worked on. So if you don't need any FOMOD support BUT you do need the ESL support, then I'll post a new version with Utumno's fix.

Utumno will have an updated official version once I have time to revise some things for him. However, I have communicated it may be a while before I can do that. He also made me a slave to interactive rebasing so I get pretty picky abut how it's done. I may not do all the Git things he may want but some are just too much a part of my process now. So I prefer to do it.

On 12/30/2018 at 5:18 PM, KranaZoli said:

This version works fine on my side.

Skyrim SE; 255+

Yes that is the version I have been working on to have improved ESL support. It should work fine for most people as it has most of the code the official version does. The new one is linked below but it only fixes an issue if you have a space in your temp folder. Otherwise it's probably not needed for most people.

@Langeston Okay updated my version to include the fix for the temp folder. It should work and provide you the updated ESL support and it shouldn't error when using a 7zip archive to install a mod. I am still seeing glitchy BAIN installs which is odd because I use the FOMOD code that the original author and Ganda updated. I don't quite know what's going on as I haven't touched that part of the code. You may find the need to use install missing or Anneal until that's all investigated. There may be a regression somewhere else.

Wasn't someone working on a Python 3.x version of Bash at some point?  2.x is going to be dropped by the foundation, isn't it?  3.7.1 is current and quite refined.

@Malonn Lojack started it but it's far from what it would need to be. Another user was going to work on it but stopped mid way. Nothing more has been done about that, that I am aware of. Even if I experimented with it, I wouldn't until I could upgrade wxPython to something that 3.x uses. Pretty much 4.x until I would try it. I'd be shooting in the dark though.

16 hours ago, Sharlikran said:

@Langeston Okay updated my version to include the fix for the temp folder. It should work and provide you the updated ESL support and it shouldn't error when using a 7zip archive to install a mod. I am still seeing glitchy BAIN installs which is odd because I use the FOMOD code that the original author and Ganda updated. I don't quite know what's going on as I haven't touched that part of the code. You may find the need to use install missing or Anneal until that's all investigated. There may be a regression somewhere else.

Thank You!

Worked great, as well! (Skyrim SE; 255+)

16 hours ago, Sharlikran said:

@Malonn Lojack started it but it's far from what it would need to be. Another user was going to work on it but stopped mid way. Nothing more has been done about that, that I am aware of. Even if I experimented with it, I wouldn't until I could upgrade wxPython to something that 3.x uses. Pretty much 4.x until I would try it. I'd be shooting in the dark though.

Gotcha.  I know Bash relies on several things, just don't know to what degree.  Okay, thanks.

Python 3 is far-fetched at this time and all those "attempts" were from toy ones to just mock ones. There is no way this is done without serious and dedicated effort from people that are well versed in python and ready to spend months with menial and tedious debugging. Otherwise, there is a chance that parts of bash are broken to tiny pieces. However, moving on to wx python 3 is time to be done now, and from there wxpython 4 (phoenix). This will give us a much more clear insight on what is needed for a full python 3 transition

NB: I _love_ python 3 - and in my job I use this exclusively

1 hour ago, Malonn said:

Gotcha.  I know Bash relies on several things, just don't know to what degree.  Okay, thanks.

17 hours ago, Langeston said:

Thank you for the quick response @Sharlikran.

What is the "temp folder bug" you mentioned? I was using your previous build for quite a bit and I didn't notice anything.

It only effects certain people. From what I understand when there is a space somewhere in the path.

22 hours ago, Utumno said:

Python 3 is far-fetched at this time and all those "attempts" were from toy ones to just mock ones. There is no way this is done without serious and dedicated effort from people that are well versed in python and ready to spend months with menial and tedious debugging. Otherwise, there is a chance that parts of bash are broken to tiny pieces. However, moving on to wx python 3 is time to be done now, and from there wxpython 4 (phoenix). This will give us a much more clear insight on what is needed for a full python 3 transition

NB: I _love_ python 3 - and in my job I use this exclusively

I like Python 3 too.  I'm far from fluent with it so I won't be tackling a job like porting Bash to 3.x.  But if other people decide they want to work on it one day, I can contribute.  May speed things up a bit.

Derail:

You work with Python 3 eh?  Out of curiosity, did you take a formal approach to getting a job as a developer? i.e. college, etc., or did you go the self taught route?

On 1/3/2019 at 4:41 PM, Malonn said:

You work with Python 3 eh?  Out of curiosity, did you take a formal approach to getting a job as a developer? i.e. college, etc., or did you go the self taught route?

Two bachelors and one masters - it was this very gaming business that started me on coding and got me my second bachelor on CS actually :p

Oh ok, good stuff.  A more traditional approach to the industry I'm thinking.

I'll detour the thread no more.

Using latest WIP branch with ESL support merged in, and apparently FOMOD as well. Something appears to be very very wrong and I have no idea what, or how this could ever have happened:

https://i.imgur.com/Az13dMM.png

There was an error window that came up filled with stuff about failed packages and some fomod thing, but I wasn't able to get focus on that. Once I switched to the installers tab it locked Python up hard and I had to kill it from the task manager.

No idea if it makes a difference or not but prior to this test, I've been on Sharlikran's ESL support branch and haven't been using anything off the main WIP in awhile.

Fortunately when the process was killed, no files got written to make this mess permanent.

41 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Using latest WIP branch with ESL support merged in, and apparently FOMOD as well. Something appears to be very very wrong and I have no idea what, or how this could ever have happened:

https://i.imgur.com/Az13dMM.png

There was an error window that came up filled with stuff about failed packages and some fomod thing, but I wasn't able to get focus on that. Once I switched to the installers tab it locked Python up hard and I had to kill it from the task manager.

No idea if it makes a difference or not but prior to this test, I've been on Sharlikran's ESL support branch and haven't been using anything off the main WIP in awhile.

Fortunately when the process was killed, no files got written to make this mess permanent.

Can confirm, debug trace looks like this:

Failed loading CACO - Script Update-69306-1-2-1.7z due to 'fomod_active'
bain.py  309 __setstate__: Failed loading CACO - Script Update-69306-1-2-1.7z
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\bosh\bain.py", line 306, in __setstate__
    self.__setstate(values)
  File "bash\bosh\bain.py", line 337, in __setstate
    dest_scr = self.refreshDataSizeCrc()
  File "bash\bosh\bain.py", line 659, in refreshDataSizeCrc
    if self.extras_dict['fomod_active'] and full in self.extras_dict['fomod_files_dict'].values():
KeyError: 'fomod_active'

(Spammed once for every installer in the installers tab)

On 1/1/2019 at 2:33 PM, Sharlikran said:

I don't know if this helps, but... I installed that version and tried a couple SSE FOMODs. Gemling Queen Jewelry and Practical Female Armor worked pretty well, but it choked on CBBE:

File "bash\balt.pyo", line 2495, in __Execute
  File "bash\balt.pyo", line 1605, in _conversation_wrapper
  File "bash\basher\installer_links.pyo", line 196, in Execute
  File "bash\basher\gui_fomod.pyo", line 184, in run
  File "bash\basher\gui_fomod.pyo", line 299, in __init__
  File "bash\basher\gui_fomod.pyo", line 344, in check
  File "bash\basher\gui_fomod.pyo", line 333, in check_option
IndexError: list index out of range

It threw the error after over a minute of trying to load the mod. Is it just too big?

FYI: I saw notifications about Wrye Bash 307 being updated in the Nexus "Fallout New Vegas mods" page by someone whose name began with "Ganda" a couple of day ago.   However, the download "files" page still does not have any files more recent than 04 Jul 2018, and the version information indicates it is 307Beta3.  So it doesn't look like the update (if there was one) "took" in that location.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:11 PM, Tanker1985 said:

I don't know if this helps, but... I installed that version and tried a couple SSE FOMODs. Gemling Queen Jewelry and Practical Female Armor worked pretty well, but it choked on CBBE:

It threw the error after over a minute of trying to load the mod. Is it just too big?

It's not because of size, that is an actual bug, working on that now. Did extraction take a long time or was it after?

1 minute ago, Dubious said:

FYI: I saw notifications about Wrye Bash 307 being updated in the Nexus "Fallout New Vegas mods" page by someone whose name began with "Ganda".   However, the download "files" page does not have any files more recent than 04 Jul 2018, and the version information indicates it is 307Beta3.  So it doesn't look like the update (if there was one) "took" in that location.

That was me! Sorry about that, I chose to test the automated uploads on FO3 and FNV since I guessed those had the least amount of people paying attention, therefore bothering the minimum amount of people possible.

@Ganda:  Thought it was probably you.  Actually think that was a good choice for testing, for exactly the reasons you gave.  Just wanted to be sure the results were as expected.

I'm on there daily, so feel free to contact me directly if you need some test verification.

Not sure what happened but I've got a recurring error now when trying to start SSE using the latest utumno-wip:

File "bash\bash.py", line 185, in main
    _main(opts)
  File "bash\bash.py", line 360, in _main
    app.Init() # Link.Frame is set here !
  File "bash\basher\__init__.py", line 4005, in Init
    self.InitVersion()
  File "bash\basher\__init__.py", line 4083, in InitVersion
    bosh.modInfos.rescanMergeable(bosh.modInfos.data, bolt.Progress())
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 2086, in rescanMergeable
    return self._rescanMergeable(names, prog, doCBash, verbose)
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 2111, in _rescanMergeable
    canMerge = is_mergeable(fileInfo, self, verbose)
  File "bash\bosh\_mergeability.py", line 169, in hasHighForms
    reasons += u'\n.    ' + u'New Forms greater than 0xFFF.'
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +=: 'NoneType' and 'unicode'

Any idea what's going on here?

The Skyrim SE executable has further security features that no other Bethesda game has (Well, I don't know about Fallout76).  Even Fallout 4 doesn't have it (plenty of games do though), but I'd be curious to learn more about it.  It can "defeat" even decent RAT-like software that patch the game at runtime.  Recent 64 bit browsers have the same thing or something similar.  What is it, I wonder?

And I don't employ or endorse RATS, but other people do.

1 hour ago, Malonn said:

The Skyrim SE executable has further security features that no other Bethesda game has (Well, I don't know about Fallout76).  Even Fallout 4 doesn't have it (plenty of games do though), but I'd be curious to learn more about it.  It can "defeat" even decent RAT-like software that patch the game at runtime.  Recent 64 bit browsers have the same thing or something similar.  What is it, I wonder?

And I don't employ or endorse RATS, but other people do.

What's this got to with WB? Interesting, but these so-named RAT like programs probably wouldn't reverse engineer the game engine- they could send pesky message boxes, interrupt an internet transfer the game has set up, or modify other game files as such. Very unwelcome guests at best. :pirate:

Got this error when running Wrye Bash through MO 1.3.15:

File "bash\bash.pyo", line 227, in main
  File "bash\bash.pyo", line 393, in _main
  File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 3981, in Init
  File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 4023, in InitData
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1545, in __init__
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1555, in ini
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 941, in BestIniFile
  File "bash\bosh\ini_files.pyo", line 61, in formatMatch
  File "bash\bolt.pyo", line 910, in open
  File "os.pyo", line 150, in makedirs
  File "os.pyo", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\(My username)

What's that about? Haven't run into this before when using WB through MO previously, though I recently had to have my hard drive replaced and I was using MO 1.3.11 beforehand.

Edit: Trying to use this with Skyrim Legendary Edition, forgot to mention earlier

Update: Fixed it, just had to run WB as an administrator