Wrye Bash - All Games

Utumno

4 hours ago, sibir said:

Yes, the second post in this thread has a link to the latest WIP build which is a snapshot of the nightly branch on GitHub. If you want to run the very latest from the nightly branch (it's the same as the WIP build as of writing), you can either install the artifact for the latest commit on GitHub (press the green checkmark, then Details, then Summary, then scroll down to Artifacts) or clone the repo & run it with the required Python install. Also, FYI, the screenshot renaming bug should be fixed in the latest WIP build.

So is it that the installer gives the spash page asking which game wrye bash you want to open. Seems I started off with separate launcher shortcuts now bash wants to include other games. I don't like that is there a way to get rid of that? I think a nightly I tested required installer only. Is that still the case?

I'd prefer a stand alone version too. Not wanting to keep python if I can't get an older bash to even run so I can use bashmon. No point in keeping python if not gonna use it

51 minutes ago, Psymon said:

So is it that the installer gives the spash page asking which game wrye bash you want to open. Seems I started off with separate launcher shortcuts now bash wants to include other games. I don't like that is there a way to get rid of that?

The installer gives you the option to install WB to the folders of games it detects as well as to custom locations. The screen you're talking about is when you run WB, not the installer, without specifying a game in some way. One way to specify a game is to install it to a valid game install (which the installer does by default, installing WB to each location it finds & giving you the option not to for each), though there are others detailed in the docs. You have to use one of these methods to bypass the game selection menu.

51 minutes ago, Psymon said:

I think a nightly I tested required installer only. Is that still the case?

I'd prefer a stand alone version too.

No nightly or WIP build has required an installer. The WIP builds are provided as installers & standalone archives (as well as source archives that can be run with the required Python installation), & the GitHub artifacts are only offered as standalone archives. The installer has some advantages as there are some things that can only be done with an installer, but standalone archives are available for installation.

Edited by sibir

It appears that Wrye Bash is removing keys from containers and dead bodies in Skyrim SE. I was playing a quest mod which involved keys to open a few doors in various containers but I could not find them anywhere. After giving up and looking in SSEEdit to cheat my way through the quest, I saw that the keys I was supposed to find were removed from containers and dead bodies by the bash patch. The quest mod has no overrides or anything that need consolidation, it was simply the quest mod itself and the bash patch with the entry for the key missing from the container but all the other items still in there. I tried looking in the advanced readme but I didn't see anything about any settings for specifically removing keys from containers and other kinds of inventory. This happened in the latest 311 release but I tried with 310 and it still does the same thing. Is there some obscure setting somewhere I am missing that will prevent Wrye Bash from removing keys from containers or is this a bug that needs to be fixed?

I have just updated Wrye Bash to 311 from an older version (309.1) and, while rebuilding the Bashed Patch, I see that a few .esp's now have the "deactivate" Bash tag. I had not seen it before. It is mostly JS mods, but I have had most of these installed for quite a while:

JS Dragon Claws AE - Skyrim Sewers.esp and JS Dragon Claws AE - Wyrmstooth.esp
from JS Dragon Claws AE (Anniversary Edition)

JS Purses and Septims SE Patch.esp from JS Purses and Septims SE

HPP - Vaermina's Torpor.esp from High Poly Project

FleshFX.esp from FleshFX

When you go to make a Bashed patch, a window pops up listing the esp's and says: Deactivate Prior to Patching

"These mods have been tagged with 'Deactivate'. They should be deactivated and merged or imported into the Bashed Patch." 

Bash actually deactivates those mods if you let it.

I am trying to figure out what to do as this is new to me. Is it possible that Loot is adding that tag?

Why are they tagged this way? What should I do? How do I do it? 

Thanks!

Edited by candles

5 hours ago, ForsakenNomad said:

It appears that Wrye Bash is removing keys from containers and dead bodies in Skyrim SE. I was playing a quest mod which involved keys to open a few doors in various containers but I could not find them anywhere. After giving up and looking in SSEEdit to cheat my way through the quest, I saw that the keys I was supposed to find were removed from containers and dead bodies by the bash patch. The quest mod has no overrides or anything that need consolidation, it was simply the quest mod itself and the bash patch with the entry for the key missing from the container but all the other items still in there. I tried looking in the advanced readme but I didn't see anything about any settings for specifically removing keys from containers and other kinds of inventory. This happened in the latest 311 release but I tried with 310 and it still does the same thing. Is there some obscure setting somewhere I am missing that will prevent Wrye Bash from removing keys from containers or is this a bug that needs to be fixed?

I assume you're talking about your Bashed Patch removing them? Did you load your entire load order in SSEEdit to see if any other mods were overriding that record? Does the mod have any Bash Tags? Can you please provide a link to it?

2 hours ago, candles said:

I have just updated Wrye Bash to 311 from an older version (309.1) and, while rebuilding the Bashed Patch, I see that a few .esp's now have the "deactivate" Bash tag. I had not seen it before. It is mostly JS mods, but I have had most of these installed for quite a while:

JS Dragon Claws AE - Skyrim Sewers.esp and JS Dragon Claws AE - Wyrmstooth.esp
from JS Dragon Claws AE (Anniversary Edition)

JS Purses and Septims SE Patch.esp from JS Purses and Septims SE

HPP - Vaermina's Torpor.esp from High Poly Project

FleshFX.esp from FleshFX

When you go to make a Bashed patch, a window pops up listing the esp's and says: Deactivate Prior to Patching

"These mods have been tagged with 'Deactivate'. They should be deactivated and merged or imported into the Bashed Patch." 

Bash actually deactivates those mods if you let it.

I am trying to figure out what to do as this is new to me. Is it possible that Loot is adding that tag?

Why are they tagged this way? What should I do? How do I do it? 

Thanks!

Yes, those tags were most likely added by LOOT, either directly if you have it installed, or indirectly through the taglists that WB falls back to if it isn't. They're also updated for each WB update, so that might be why you're seeing them now. They're tagged with Deactivate because the changes that they make are imported based on other tags they have (e.g., Graphics, Stats), & deactivating them ensures that only those changes are imported.

11 hours ago, sibir said:

I assume you're talking about your Bashed Patch removing them? Did you load your entire load order in SSEEdit to see if any other mods were overriding that record? Does the mod have any Bash Tags? Can you please provide a link to it?

There are no other mods with overrides that Wrye Bash would try and consolidate, It is just the main mod and the bash patch which removes the keys from containers. See the screenshot below. The mod in question is Shidara for which the English version is no longer available publicly it seems, but I will post a link below to a version on Nexus which has a German translated ESP which maybe you can try and use to reproduce the problem.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10960

Ubr1BPE.png

12 hours ago, sibir said:

Yes, those tags were most likely added by LOOT, either directly if you have it installed, or indirectly through the taglists that WB falls back to if it isn't. They're also updated for each WB update, so that might be why you're seeing them now. They're tagged with Deactivate because the changes that they make are imported based on other tags they have (e.g., Graphics, Stats), & deactivating them ensures that only those changes are imported.

Thanks, this is really interesting!

When I went to the Nexus pages for the various mods there was no knowledge about any of this. So should I just uninstall these mods? Or leave them installed, but disabled? Should I re-enable them after I get the Bashed Patch? Should I ask about the specific ESP's on the Loot forum?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am trying to come up with action steps. My game tells me that I now have 5 ESPs missing. Thank you so much for your valuable time and expertise!

12 hours ago, candles said:

Thanks, this is really interesting!

When I went to the Nexus pages for the various mods there was no knowledge about any of this. So should I just uninstall these mods? Or leave them installed, but disabled? Should I re-enable them after I get the Bashed Patch? Should I ask about the specific ESP's on the Loot forum?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am trying to come up with action steps. My game tells me that I now have 5 ESPs missing. Thank you so much for your valuable time and expertise!

Don't uninstall them if you want to continue to use them. It's similar to how WB merges mods into your Bashed Patch in that the deactivated mod must remain in your load order. If you remove it, the next time you rebuild your BP, the changes imported from that mod won't be kept. Just build your BP like normal & keep the plugins it deactivates deactivated. Each of those mods was given the Deactivate tag intentionally by a contributor to LOOT, so it's not an error that needs to be reported to the LOOT team. However, if, for whatever reason, those Deactivate tags do cause issues, feel free to report those issues so that they can be removed as appropriate. As for the missing ESP warnings, that warning happens when you load a save without all of the plugins installed & activated that that save was made with. In this case, since the missing plugins made simple pages that could easily be imported into your BP, deactivating them mid-save won't cause issues. To be safe, you can keep a backup of that save & roll back to it with those plugins activated if you experience issues.

13 hours ago, ForsakenNomad said:

There are no other mods with overrides that Wrye Bash would try and consolidate, It is just the main mod and the bash patch which removes the keys from containers. See the screenshot below. The mod in question is Shidara for which the English version is no longer available publicly it seems, but I will post a link below to a version on Nexus which has a German translated ESP which maybe you can try and use to reproduce the problem.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10960

Ubr1BPE.png

I tried to replicate this with the plugin you linked, both with the default BP config & with all options enabled, but I wasn't able to. Can you please try to isolate it to as few options as possible to see what might be causing it? You can do so by disabling options in the BP building dialog & rebuilding your BP until the issue stops occurring. You can disable them in batches to speed up the process.

6 hours ago, sibir said:

Don't uninstall them if you want to continue to use them. It's similar to how WB merges mods into your Bashed Patch in that the deactivated mod must remain in your load order. If you remove it, the next time you rebuild your BP, the changes imported from that mod won't be kept. Just build your BP like normal & keep the plugins it deactivates deactivated. Each of those mods was given the Deactivate tag intentionally by a contributor to LOOT, so it's not an error that needs to be reported to the LOOT team. However, if, for whatever reason, those Deactivate tags do cause issues, feel free to report those issues so that they can be removed as appropriate. As for the missing ESP warnings, that warning happens when you load a save without all of the plugins installed & activated that that save was made with. In this case, since the missing plugins made simple pages that could easily be imported into your BP, deactivating them mid-save won't cause issues. To be safe, you can keep a backup of that save & roll back to it with those plugins activated if you experience issues.

Thank you so much for this well explained, detailed answer! It was exactly the info I was seeking! Perfect! 

7 hours ago, sibir said:

I tried to replicate this with the plugin you linked, both with the default BP config & with all options enabled, but I wasn't able to. Can you please try to isolate it to as few options as possible to see what might be causing it? You can do so by disabling options in the BP building dialog & rebuilding your BP until the issue stops occurring. You can disable them in batches to speed up the process.

I probably should have tried the translated ESP first before referring you to that. I gave it a try myself and the problem went away, so it appears to only be happening with the English ESP I have. Since it isn't publicly available anymore I have uploaded the English ESP to the following link:

https://filebin.net/f77vn3g1722vyz5n

If you still have trouble reproducing the problem, let me know and I'll see what else I can fiddle with.

[Edit] ... nevermind all my complaints about updating to 312. I don't want to go into a link hunt to prove that one of you asked me to install the installer version to test if bugs I reported. I did that out of obligation on the reporting. I can see how you all might read it though that I'm confusing the older 291with the newer one. no point arguing that point for me. I can say this ... that just extracting the nightly over the installed version did not update it and the top bar continued to read 311.

I ended up gutting all wrye bash installs on my computer and reinstalling them again and that is for the following games .. morrowind to Skyrim SE and two fallouts. So that took some time. All now on 312 from 5.28.2023.

[edit more] also not the current caretakers responsibility but uninstalling the older 291 python components .. using Revo uninstaller ... turned into a sh**show. Files left all over even after doing the mid level cleanup in Revo afterward. So ANNOYING had to scour my computer clean registry and even resorted to reinstalling it all again to try a different way and same results. There seems no clean way to just uninstall the python components in a few clicks.

Wrye Morph is a completely dead project. You all should post that up. I've tried python versions of 287 and 291.1 with the exact required python components. All installed and tested with running in compatibility mode for windows 7 (on my win10 machine) or not. Neither version of Wrye Bash will even launch. I believe this is verified by the other guy Beermotor I think? In communication here or in private and he also could not get that version to even launch either.

So unless there is something to do extra to get older python to work on win 10. Maybe newer versions of python 2 could work ... IDK. And it may work fine with other projects but I have no other needs or ways to test that out without getting lost in the weeds with no references.  related to all this though .... It will not work with those older wrye bash versions. I looked in task manager ... python starts then immediately fails out and stops ... no notices and no warnings.

Has anyone tried using the bashmon with the current python required wrye bash? Or is the python variation to new for that?

Seems a completely dead project, which is sad. Oh well. Now all we have are memories.

Edited by Psymon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys - no complaints this time.

I have a question and a request.

Question. Why is it sometimes (usually the first time per day) when I open the BAIN installers tab that it takes upwards of 10 minutes to open. While most other times it takes less than a minute. This even when I make zero changes to that folder.

Question/Request. Is there a way to save not only which plugins are active but in what order they load? This would be invaluable for testing mods, which I do daily. I do seem to have the ability to save which plugins can load via the active plugins -> save active plugins feature via the context menus. Is there a way to save what order they load in as well?

The reason this would be of such help is mostly because LOOT and BOSS have become very unreliable. It seems just adding a plugin can shift so many other plugins around using LOOT, and BOSS is just too outdated.

It is a LOT MORE WORK having to hand adjust patches .. and my load order is going to be maxed with lots of patches and lots mods and lots of merged into bash. Wouldn't it be handy to have it so you can say save one load order and it is locked in, then having various configurations of that. Think of mod testing.

thanks for considering

On 6/15/2023 at 5:50 AM, ghastley said:

Can’t you use profiles for that? I think they record the order of the mods used.

Ok great .,, yes, That works well. Forgot about that functionality.

I have a more esoteric question now. I'm reading into using OpenMW and it seems I'm seeing a lot of posts about Wrye Mash (as WB calls itself when installed in morrowind folder).

At precursory glance it seems that OpenMW creates another folder from which to read mods, While I'm sure that this may be ideal for some reasons. Before I dive in headfirst trying to correct paths in one program or another ... thought maybe I should ask at the source if any wrye bash gurus have already figured this out and know of a guide I've not yet found (but looking) and/or have experience or tips in the use of these two together.

I did find this. But maybe another guide or progress not recorded on git?

thank you

17 hours ago, Psymon said:

Ok great .,, yes, That works well. Forgot about that functionality.

I have a more esoteric question now. I'm reading into using OpenMW and it seems I'm seeing a lot of posts about Wrye Mash (as WB calls itself when installed in morrowind folder).

At precursory glance it seems that OpenMW creates another folder from which to read mods, While I'm sure that this may be ideal for some reasons. Before I dive in headfirst trying to correct paths in one program or another ... thought maybe I should ask at the source if any wrye bash gurus have already figured this out and know of a guide I've not yet found (but looking) and/or have experience or tips in the use of these two together.

I did find this. But maybe another guide or progress not recorded on git?

thank you

As the issue you found states in the thread, OpenMW isn't supported yet. I think Polemos has a fork that does, but I can't speak to how solid it is.

Thanks...though for sure I'm doing something wrong or haven't found how they are incompatible yet. ...because I'm not seeing how they are incompatible.

I'm using Wrye Bash 312 and OpenMW 48. That branch of Wrye Mash...less functional it seems than 312. but .... :shrug:

The one odd thing about OpenMW is that it encourages you to set up an extra folder to install mods into as opposed to the data folder, but the OpenMW launcher AND game is still going to monitor the regular data files under the morrowind directory. Hence ... so far it is working.

If all the hub-bub of compatibility is about this extra data directory ... that is only going to matter if the person wants multiple installs of Morrowind.to play with. It is a neat feature, kind of allowing one to have a virgin/vanilla install that never gets touched but through what I'm guessing are symbolic links and pathing allowing the game to read two or more folders of mods. This then could change with new versions of OpenMW as they can be installed side by side.

Myself ... I have no need to mess with MWGE again and OpenMW has so many great features that I'm sure I can live without script extenders. Hence, no need for multiple installs and mostly using wrye mash for installing mods. I was able to install the linked version side by side with the latest bash and OpenMW, So 312 so far superior to installing mods,

I will post back any important notes or findings as I go ... eventually having the latest bash for every all TES fallout games that take them ... each with full load orders.

thanks

[edit]

Seems the main deal is with everything being registered in cfg file. Which happens if the resources are in the correct folders and you activate them through the OpenMW loader. So bash for installing and the main OpenMW for plugin management. I can live with that.

Edited by Psymon

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been going through installing OpenMW and as per the posts above and reviewing this progress on porting to Morrowind and specifically OpenMW. I can see an aspect not being addressed in the port or even discussed.

This could be due to advanced on OpenMW that just haven't been looked at by either the Wrye Mash for OpenMW nor this team. I'm uncertain as I'm just starting to use OpenMW 48 and this is my first time using it.

What I'm referring to is the extra virtual directory where mods can be installed into that is separate from the normal data folder in the game root directory. This is ideal for having multiple installs and the ability to keep a pristine virgin game directory that never needs to be reinstalled or corrected again. Very appealing! The downside is that unlike BAIN where packages can be kept in archives and extracted and tracked once installed, everything in the extra directory has to be extracted into what nomenclature calls a Project (Basically dir explorer folders).

I'm assuming that the extra directory is only something that can be addressed via the openMW engine or extensions as it were, so adding tracking all that into Wye Bash would seem pointless ... unless it is just for OpenMW and it's extra directory and not for launching the game or whatever. just tracking resources?

Just a thought ...totally don't know if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again guys. I have a technical question related to using 312 with Nehrim at fate's edge. Specifically this https://www.gog.com/en/game/nehrim_at_fates_edge

It seems to recognize Nehrim no issues ... with it's own Nehrim launcher logo being recognized without neeeding to fuss with much.

The project I'm looking at is kind of a bookend to my old thread Nehrim and Mods. But instead of trying to further mod Nehrim out the goal is to remove Nehrim from that install. The goal is mostly for testing and if this is indeed doable.

My main question is this: what is being hooked into when launching the game from the bottom bar launcher. I've tried removing some resources and have found that even though I don't have Nehrim.esk active the game won't launch without it, and it is loading all kinds of Nehrim stuff as related to menus. so most of the resources need to be in there. But the main things seems to be that when launching through bash ... it is indeed loading through the Nehrim launcher? Is that correct? and that controls resources being referenced in launching the game. Because removing them and it ctds. Leaving them in though ... the game launches fine.

I have succeeded in loading the game with Alternative Beginnings and spawned owning a house in Skingrad, So Tamrial is all there ... I will post a thread describing the steps to getting that later.

It seems the work is in packaging vanilla assets into the nehrim folder as overrides from what it expects. Does that sound correct? thanks in advance.

What confuses me the most is how is it that the Nehrim launcher can tell the game which menus and videos to load. By the ini I guess, but seems more extensive than that.

[edit]

... As usual, I asked for help before thinking it through ... the short answer is the ini file.

the result is complete success. I will post a guide on how to turn Nehrim back into Oblivion or Morrowblvion or whatever for that second install of Oblivion that is hassle free.Elsewhere

Edited by Psymon

• 1 month later...
I am having an issue with "Check ESL Qualifications":

Wrye Bash seems to be working, but right clicking on a plugin and choosing "Check ESL Qualifications" just opens an empty "Check ESL Qualifications" window. There is no info in it.

Reinstalling Bash did not fix it.

What can I try? Thanks!
Edited by candles

That popup uses a Microsoft Edge webview. Are you using MO2? If so, there's a known problem where MO2 prevents the Edge webview from working correctly, nothing much we can do about that.
If you aren't, the webview may take a while (10s or even more) to load the first time any app uses it - after that it should be instant. If that still doesn't fix it, you might try updating MS Edge.

Edited by Infernio

4 minutes ago, Infernio said:

That popup uses a Microsoft Edge webview. Are you using MO2? If so, there's a known problem where MO2 prevents the Edge webview from working correctly, nothing much we can do about that.
If you aren't, the webview may take a while (10s or even more) to load the first time any app uses it - after that it should be instant. If that still doesn't fix it, you might try updating MS Edge.

And that would explain it. I use MO2 and have seen other issues between Wrye and Edge as well. But I did not realize it was an MO2 thing. I did see that MO2 was not supported by Bash on Nexus. Guess that is part of the reason. Too bad; hope it gets sorted out!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I hope you can help me with this error I got at startup

Spoiler

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\bash.py", line 379, in main
  File "bash\bash.py", line 543, in _main
  File "bash\basher\__init__.py", line 4565, in Init
  File "bash\basher\__init__.py", line 4593, in InitData
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 2246, in refresh
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 1673, in refresh
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 2481, in new_info
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 1649, in new_info
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 1530, in new_info
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 374, in __init__
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 190, in __init__
  File "bash\bolt.py", line 1646, in __init__
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 393, in _reset_cache
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 202, in _reset_cache
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 649, in readHeader
  File "bash\brec\mod_io.py", line 387, in __enter__
bash.exception.StateError: Already in a ModReader context

• 1 month later...

Wrye Bash Guys .. Hello.

I have discovered an stdout/stderr

I have GOG Fallout 4 GOTY installed.

And I have Wrye Bash 312.202310211950 Standalone installed.

I went to the "Saves" tab, and wanted to delete a heap of saves, so from the list I selected the first save to be deleted, then scrolled down and while holding Shift I then selected the last of the saves I wanted to delete (ie Multi-selected about 55 saves). Then I right clicked the highlighted saves, went to File, Delete.

They all deleted succesfully, but Wrye Bash gave me an error box titled stdout/stderr, which contained the following :

"balt.py  826 RefreshUI: A tab's own data store key got passed to refresh_others, this will cause an unnecessary refresh - fix it!
NoneType: None"