Wrye Bash - All Games

Utumno

That's cool @Infernio.  I mean, Bash's GUI doesn't seem to be lacking.  And, I don't know what wxPython has to offer; never used it.  By no means was I suggesting to switch GUI frameworks.  I just wondered why it was chosen in the first place, not that it is a bad choice.

Well, Wrye Bash dates back to 2006, when it was created as a fork of Wrye Mash. Wrye Mash itself dates back to at least January of 2005 (Wrye didn't keep docs until version 0.24, which was released on the 15th of January 2005). The GUI situation in Python probably looked quite different back then - Qt was on version 3.3 and Python on version 2.4 and I have no idea what the integration between those two was like back then.

Oh yeah.  Goes back to going on 20 years ago.  Things have changed, eh?  I bet you Mash goes back to 2002-ish, around the time Morrowind came out.  I'm sure Qt (and other frameworks) just weren't what they are now.  The most sensible choice may have been wxPython.  20 years ago man, and, if I have this right, no one currently developing Bash was active with the tool--Wrye by himself.

Anywho, I appreciate the response.  What I took out of it is that it has always been wxPython.  Hey, it's open source, if someone wants to change it, let him/her stroke that keyboard.

Just a quicky about dragging a mod within the installers list.

Actually tried dragging a mod out to explorer which isn't supported (yet), Get this:

Drag and drop in the Installer's list is only allowed when the list is sorted by install order

Okay, so clicked the order column, and mods can now be dragged to a new position. However, there doesn't seem to be any difference in subsequent behaviour when either OK or Cancel is clicked.

Is there an intended difference or am I reading too much into it?

Thanks.

In a bit of a spot here. I have Morrowind installed via Wine. The instructions say "do not use the installer"; very well. What's the procedure for building Bash on Linux? Is there one?

I recommend the standalone version for Wine.  Bash is written in Python, so it's not compiled.  You can just grab the source from (AFAIK--I always used the standalone for Wine) GitHub, and as long as the dependencies are installed, you run it.  But, it's much easier to just grab the latest standalone and run that way.  You may not have bleeding edge, but it's close.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ran into a problem installing WB for Skyrim LE. A mod on the other WB thread suggested I drop the issue here. Apologies if this is not the right thread. WB will not run when installed and I copied the bug dump below.

First off, all gratitude goes to the various past and current WB developers!

I am a long-time WB user and have not encountered this before...

Things I have already tried...

1. The relevant steam directory is on a separate gaming disk. No UAC involved.

2. WB is running as an admin.

3. have tried both manual and installer versions.

4 have tried the uninstall process from the thread near the start of this forum. (however, I am still told that a previous version 307 was installed.)

5. I made sure to launch the game from the vanilla launcher.

Following the bug dump I pasted my load orders since they were referenced in the final line of the bug dump. Note that Bached Patch appears in the load order but, of course, is not in the actual data folder, since WB will not load to create one.

localize.py  102 setup_locale: cli_lang='' - cli_target='' - falling back to (en_US, cp1252) from getdefaultlocale
localize.py  106 setup_locale: wx gave back en_US
localize.py  153 setup_locale: Set wxPython locale to 'en_US'
loot_parser.py   48 <module>: Using LibYAML-based parser
doc_viewer.py   54 <module>: pdfviewer using PyMuPDF (GPL)
bash.py  274 dump_environment: Using Wrye Bash Version 310 (Standalone)
    OS info: Windows-10-10.0.19043-SP0, running on Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
    Python version: 3.9.13 (tags/v3.9.13:6de2ca5, May 17 2022, 16:36:42) [MSC v.1929 64 bit (AMD64)]
    Dependency versions:
     - chardet: 5.0.0
     - lxml: 4.9.1
     - PyMuPDF: 1.20.0; bundled MuPDF version: 1.20.1
     - python-lz4: 4.0.1; bundled LZ4 version: 1.9.3
     - PyYAML: 6.0
     - wxPython: 4.1.1 msw (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.1.5
    Input encoding: None; output encoding: utf-8
    Filesystem encoding: utf-8
    Command line: ['G:\\SteamLibrary\\steamapps\\common\\skyrim\\Mopy\\Wrye Bash.exe']
bash.py  515 _import_bush_and_set_game: Searching for game to manage:
bush.py  144 _supportedGames: The following games are supported by this version of Wrye Bash:
  Enderal, Enderal Special Edition, Fallout 3, Fallout 3 (WS), Fallout
  4, Fallout 4 (WS), Fallout 4 VR, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout New Vegas
  (WS), Morrowind, Morrowind (WS), Nehrim, Oblivion, Oblivion (WS),
  Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim Special Edition (WS), Skyrim VR
Wrye Bash looked for games in the following places:
 1. Windows Registry:
  The following installed games were found via the registry:
   - Fallout 4: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 4
   - Oblivion: C:\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion
   - Skyrim: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim
   - Skyrim Special Edition: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition
  Make sure to run the launcher of each game you installed through Steam
  once, otherwise Wrye Bash will not be able to find it.
 2. Windows Store:
  No installed games with modding enabled were found via the Windows Store.
  Make sure to enable mods for each Windows Store game you have
  installed, otherwise Wrye Bash will not be able to find it.
bush.py  205 _detectGames: Detecting games via the -o argument, bash.ini and relative path:
bush.py  211 _detectGames: Set game mode to Skyrim found in parent directory of Mopy:  G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\skyrim
bush.py  227 __setGame: Using Skyrim game: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\skyrim
initialization.py  165 init_dirs: My Games location set to C:\Users\*****\Documents\My Games\Skyrim
initialization.py  178 init_dirs: LocalAppData location set to C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Skyrim
initialization.py  226 init_dirs: Game Mods location set to G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods
initialization.py  231 init_dirs: Bash Mod Data location set to G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Mod Data
initialization.py  235 init_dirs: Installers location set to G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers
initialization.py  237 init_dirs: Installers bash data location set to G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers\Bash
initialization.py  245 init_dirs: Checking if WB directories exist and creating them if needed:
initialization.py  249 init_dirs:  - G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Mod Data
initialization.py  249 init_dirs:  - G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers
initialization.py  249 init_dirs:  - G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers\Bain Converters
initialization.py  249 init_dirs:  - G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers\Bain Converters\--Duplicates
initialization.py  249 init_dirs:  - G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers\Bain Converters\--Corrupt
initialization.py  249 init_dirs:  - G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers\Bash
initialization.py  249 init_dirs:  - G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers\Bash\BSA Cache
loot_parser.py   83 __init__: Using these LOOT paths:
loot_parser.py   84 __init__:  Masterlist: C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\LOOT\Skyrim\masterlist.yaml
loot_parser.py   85 __init__:  Userlist: C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\LOOT\Skyrim\userlist.yaml
loot_parser.py   86 __init__:  Taglist (fallback): G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\skyrim\Mopy\taglists\Skyrim\taglist.yaml
loot_parser.py   93 __init__: Initialized loot_parser, compatible with libloot v0.18.x
__init__.py 3768 initBosh: Looking for main game INI at C:\Users\*****\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini
windows.py 1001 testUAC: Testing if game folder is UAC-protected
__init__.py 1603 _initDB: Initializing BSAInfos
__init__.py 1604 _initDB:  store_dir: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data
__init__.py 1605 _initDB:  bash_dir: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Mod Data\BSA Data
__init__.py 1603 _initDB: Initializing ModInfos
__init__.py 1604 _initDB:  store_dir: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data
__init__.py 1605 _initDB:  bash_dir: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Mod Data
_games_lo.py  658 print_lo_paths: Using the following load order files:
_games_lo.py  663 print_lo_paths:  - Load order: C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Skyrim\loadorder.txt
_games_lo.py  665 print_lo_paths:  - Active plugins: C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Skyrim\plugins.txt
load_order.py  317 _update_cache: Error updating load_order cache
Wrye Bash encountered an error.
Please post the information below to the official thread at
https://afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4966-wrye-bash-all-games
or to the Wrye Bash Discord at
https://discord.gg/NwWvAFR

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\bash.py", line 317, in main
  File "bash\bash.py", line 478, in _main
  File "bash\basher\__init__.py", line 4309, in Init
  File "bash\basher\__init__.py", line 4337, in InitData
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 2341, in refresh
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 2065, in _modinfos_cache_wrapper
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 2186, in refreshLoadOrder
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.py", line 2181, in _do_lo_refresh
  File "bash\load_order.py", line 362, in refresh_lo
  File "bash\load_order.py", line 312, in _update_cache
  File "bash\_games_lo.py", line 232, in get_load_order
  File "bash\_games_lo.py", line 251, in _cached_or_fetch
  File "bash\_games_lo.py", line 1112, in _fetch_load_order
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list

Here is my loadorder.txt

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
HighResTexturePack03.esp
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Here is my plugins.txt

Dawnguard.esm
Hearthfires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
HearthFires.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
quest_andtherealmsofdaedra.esp
quest_nomercy.esp
quest_seaofghosts.esp
quest_sorcery.esp
quest_thebiggertheyare.esp

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I am not sure this is the right place to ask but i'll give it a shot. 

So i started modding oblivion again and ofcourse i am religiously rebuilding the bashed patch everytime i add or remove a mod. Now i remember i used to get an overview of all changed records right after it finished building the bashed patch but now i am only getting a blank grey window on wich i can confirm and it closes. I feel like this blank grey window should show the details of the bashed patch but i doesn't show anything.

Is this supposed to be the case or is something going wrong?

@Gustaaf, if you're running WB through MO2, the summary dialog seems to have issues rendering. The summary is written to both HTML & TXT files with the same name as your Bashed Patch in the Data/Docs folder, so you can still view them there. You can even set one of them as a doc for your Bashed Patch to view them in WB's in-app Doc Browser.

Greetings to all residents!
I have an issue while using Wrye Bash 311.202212111048 standalone executable for Skyrim Special Edition (GOG) and console myself with the hope that I can get help here.
There are a lot of checkboxes in GUI -> Settings -> Global Settings... -> Confirmations, and amongst them is "[Mods] Renaming a plugin to something that Skyrim Special Edition (GOG) can't load". It is the only one entry with parentheses in its string.
Wherever I tick or untick and then try to apply changes, I get the next Wrye Bash stdout/stderr:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\gui\events.py", line 178, in _post
  File "bash\basher\settings_dialog.py", line 118, in _send_apply
  File "bash\basher\settings_dialog.py", line 1226, in on_apply
  File "bash\basher\settings_dialog.py", line 1226, in <dictcomp>
KeyError: '[Mods] Renaming a plugin to something that Skyrim Special Edition'

The same lines have been added to the end of "BashBugDump.log" file.
I suppose that those GOG-bracing parentheses somehow lead to this error. Mayhaps I'm wrong, mayhaps not.
Would be happy to resolve this tiny problem of mine.
TIA

Update: The issue has proved to be connected with parentheses. I've assembled python 3.10.8 with all .whl files listed in requirements.txt (from wrye bash 7z python source) and have changed displayName in "..\Mopy\bash\game\skyrimse\__init.py__" so that it wouldn't include any brackets. The error now doesn't occur. I'm still eager to have standalone version working properly, for WB now concatenates "SKSE64" and its version w/o any spaces. Some other inconsistencies could have place as well.

Edited by ansomesa
Text addition

@ansomesa, please also upload the BashBugDump.log in your Wrye Bash installation folder after reproducing the traceback. The devs may still need it in case this isn't as obvious an issue as it appears.

@ansomesa Good instincts! The problem is indeed the parentheses used for the GOG, EGS and WS versions of games. The Confirmations page strips off everything starting with '(' since that's what's used for displaying the internal keys. However, because those games include extra parentheses in their names, it stripped off too much and so failed the lookup. The proper fix is refactoring to make those games 'variants' of the main game instead of completely new games, but that's future work. For now, the newest nightly build (311.202212201730) simply strips off the parentheses for the games in the settings dialog (since the names there are purely aesthetic anyways), which should fix the problem.

@sibir, @Infernio , thx for your replies!

Have WB updated to the 311.202212211800 nightly build. All seems to be working smoothly atm.

And btw,  @Infernio, it wasn't instincts. Once I saw that KeyError stopped abruptly just before '(' I made a suggestion that the internal code had interpreted that as a reserved character.

Anyway, thx again for your kindness and consideration.

Cheers!

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask, I’m not tech savvy and I’m at a loss at what to do with this error I keep getting… basically my computer hard drive crashed, took it to Best Buy/geek squad, had to get a new hard drive and managed to reinstall everything but when I try to install Wrye Bash (specifically for Oblivion atm) I get an error instead of it opening the program. 

This is the error:

fatal error detected

Error loading Python DLL

“C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI216562\python39.dll”

Loadlibrary: The specified module could not be found

The _MEI bit with numbers changes when trying to launch WB. I did not have this problem before getting a new hard drive, I would love to continue using Wrye Bash but I have no idea what to do.

I would appreciate any help or advice I can get, thanks in advance.

@SaintNightshade, please upload the BashBugDump.log in your Wrye Bash installation if present. If not, what version are you using: installer, manual standalone, or manual Python? Is it up-to-date (v310)? What is your OS, & is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

@sibir Here it is...

*I'm using the Wrye Bash 310 Installer (same one I used before my crash)

*My OS is Windows 10 with a 19044.2364 build, version 21H2 and it's a 64-bit

*As for the BashBugDump.log I searched my system and can't find it anywhere

@sibir

I checked the Mopy folder and the BashBugDump.log isn’t there, does Wrye Bash have to have a successful start in order to generate it? Because Wrye Bash won’t open at all.

I also tried the WIP build but I got the same error as before but this time it’s not a python39.dll it’s a python310.dll.

This is the new error:

Fatal error detected

Error loading Python DLL

“C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI269442\python310.dll”.

LoadLibrary: The specified module could not be found.

@SaintNightshade, I'm not really sure what the issue is then as I don't recall seeing it before. Maybe you can try restarting your computer & completely uninstalling Wrye Bash & reinstalling it. If they don't work, a dev would have to weigh in as I'm out of ideas.