Wrye Bash - All Games

Utumno

Not a bug report but a question: I chose to skip OBSE plugins the first time I installed an Oblivion mod, and now I want to install them. But I can't find any way to reset that initial choice. It will never prompt for it again. Even uninstalling & deleting the mod and reinstalling will not reset the option. I was able to "Export list of allowed/disallowed plugin dll's", delete those dll's from the file, then import that modified list, but it still won't install those OBSE plugins. The global "Skip OBSE plugins" option is not enabled, and I exported the list of allowed plugins again to verify that they're not listed. After hours of messing with it, the only options i can see are - give up and just manually install them, or give up and completely nuke my game and wrye bash install and start all over again. 

Although I still don't know how to fix this, there's a more general problem: Why are there so many data files scattered around the system, and why are they all binary? How are you supposed to edit them? If they were some kind of simple text format like .ini or .json, at least they could be editable. 

The first part (about the OBSE plugins) sounds like a bug. It should let you install them if 'Skip **SE Plugins' is turned off.

As for the second part, are you talking about the .dat files used by Wrye Bash? Those are picked data files, and they aren't supposed to be editable. We use pickling for two reasons:
1. it's fairly easy to do from Python, and
2. we store what amounts to some (small) databases in those files, and JSON / INI would not be a good fit there.
Granted, there's some stuff pickled in there that probably *could* be in an INI file (e.g. settings), but that's another story (see https://github.com/wrye-bash/wrye-bash/issues/178).

Loaded up. Fantastic, thanks!

Spoiler

Wrye Bash starting
Using Wrye Bash Version 307.201909071450 (Standalone)
OS info: Windows-10-10.0.17763
Python version: 2.7.16
wxPython version: 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
input encoding: None; output encoding: None; default locale: ('en_AU', 'cp1252')
filesystem encoding: mbcs
command line: ['I:\\games\\Oblivion\\Mopy\\Wrye Bash.exe', '-d']
Using scandir 1.10.0
bash.pyo  401 _import_bush_and_set_game: Searching for game to manage:
bush.pyo   85 _supportedGames: The following games are supported by this version of Wrye Bash:
bush.pyo   88 _supportedGames:  Enderal, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout 4 VR, Fallout New Vegas,
bush.pyo   88 _supportedGames:  Oblivion, Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim VR
bush.pyo   90 _supportedGames: The following installed games were found via Windows Registry:
bush.pyo   92 _supportedGames:  Oblivion: I:\games\Oblivion
bush.pyo  150 _detectGames: Detecting games via the -o argument, bash.ini and relative path:
bush.pyo  156 _detectGames: Set game mode to Oblivion found in parent directory of Mopy:  I:\games\Oblivion
bush.pyo  171 __setGame:  Using Oblivion game: I:\games\Oblivion
cint.pyo  166 <module>: Trying path bash\compiled\CBash.dll
cint.pyo  168 <module>:   Path exists, attempting to load DLL
cint.pyo  173 <module>:   Path contains unicode characters, applying workaround
cint.pyo  182 <module>:   CBash DLL has correct version (0.7), proceeding to load
cint.pyo  185 <module>: Successfully loaded CBash.dll
cint.pyo  196 <module>: Disabling CBash to avoid crash
mods_metadata.pyo   40 <module>: Failed to import the loot_api module: (MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading loot_api.pyd)
testing UAC

Might eventually have a look at CBash- PBash has never been a problem here, though.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:39 AM, lmstearn said:

mods_metadata.pyo   40 <module>: Failed to import the loot_api module: (MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading loot_api.pyd)

Okay, there's something distinctly weird going on here. Not only did it fail to load CBash properly (it loaded the DLL without errors, but none of the functions are accessible), but it also failed to load loot for some reason. I'll make another debug build and edit my comment here when it's uploaded.

Edit: new debug build: https://mega.nz/#F!pr4UhQ5Q!s9hhUpcEBrFRgzrui2pCXQ

Here you go:

Spoiler

Wrye Bash starting
Using Wrye Bash Version 307.201909102031 (Standalone)
OS info: Windows-10-10.0.17763
Python version: 2.7.16
wxPython version: 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
input encoding: None; output encoding: None; default locale: ('en_AU', 'cp1252')
filesystem encoding: mbcs
command line: ['I:\\games\\Oblivion\\Mopy\\Wrye Bash.exe', '-d']
Using scandir 1.10.0
bash.pyo  400 _import_bush_and_set_game: Searching for game to manage:
bush.pyo   85 _supportedGames: The following games are supported by this version of Wrye Bash:
bush.pyo   88 _supportedGames:  Enderal, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout 4 VR, Fallout New Vegas,
bush.pyo   88 _supportedGames:  Oblivion, Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim VR
bush.pyo   90 _supportedGames: The following installed games were found via Windows Registry:
bush.pyo   92 _supportedGames:  Oblivion: I:\games\Oblivion
bush.pyo  150 _detectGames: Detecting games via the -o argument, bash.ini and relative path:
bush.pyo  156 _detectGames: Set game mode to Oblivion found in parent directory of Mopy:  I:\games\Oblivion
bush.pyo  171 __setGame:  Using Oblivion game: I:\games\Oblivion
cint.pyo  190 <module>: Disabling CBash to avoid crash
mods_metadata.pyo   41 <module>: Failed to import the loot_api module: (MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading loot_api.pyd)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\bosh\mods_metadata.pyo", line 37, in <module>
  File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 98, in load_module
ImportError: MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading loot_api.pyd

testing UAC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm trying to run wrye bash for oblivion and getting this error 

File "bash\bash.pyo", line 227, in main
  File "bash\bash.pyo", line 323, in _main
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 3411, in initBosh
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 3120, in initDirs
  File "bash\bosh\ini_files.pyo", line 73, in getSetting
  File "bash\bosh\ini_files.pyo", line 86, in get_ci_settings
  File "bash\bosh\ini_files.pyo", line 136, in _get_ci_settings
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

What should I do to fix this?

@Infernio: The beta doesn't appear to have the fix for CBash in the build at the top of this page, which is now an invalid link. Was that intended?

Spoiler

File "bash\bash.pyo", line 188, in main
  File "bash\bash.pyo", line 281, in _main
  File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 82, in load_module
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 45, in <module>
  File "bash\bosh\_mergeability.pyo", line 27, in <module>
  File "bash\cint.pyo", line 214, in <module>
  File "ctypes\__init__.pyo", line 379, in __getattr__
  File "ctypes\__init__.pyo", line 384, in __getitem__
AttributeError: function 'cb_GetVersionMajor' not found

Thanks.

That wasn't a fix, the build just unconditionally disabled CBash :P
We still have no idea why that crash happens, so the only thing we can recommend is to launch Wrye Bash with the -P argument to disable CBash completely.

With 307.201909270055 and SSE, the fomod installer seems to be choking on CBBE again, except this time without an error message. The pop-up window says "extracting fomod files," then it just closes and nothing happens. It works fine for a couple of small fomods. I don't actually have very many to test it with, but CBBE is the one that updates fairly frequently. If I go back to 307.201905311918 it works. 

I've also had a strange thing with the installer. It literally extracts 1 file per second, taking about 30 minutes. I had that with the last two nightlies I've tried. Again, my older version is normal. I don't really need the installer, since I only use WB for SSE and Oblivion. It's just strange.

17 hours ago, Tanker1985 said:

With 307.201909270055 and SSE, the fomod installer seems to be choking on CBBE again, except this time without an error message. The pop-up window says "extracting fomod files," then it just closes and nothing happens. It works fine for a couple of small fomods. I don't actually have very many to test it with, but CBBE is the one that updates fairly frequently. If I go back to 307.201905311918 it works. 

I've also had a strange thing with the installer. It literally extracts 1 file per second, taking about 30 minutes. I had that with the last two nightlies I've tried. Again, my older version is normal. I don't really need the installer, since I only use WB for SSE and Oblivion. It's just strange.

CBBE has a pretty standard structure but I'm not familiar enough with the FOMOD parser code to know how it would handle it. 

Here's a Wizard for CBBE 1.54 I whipped up this afternoon as I was resurrecting my SSE install from the dead. I only had to make minor modifications to get it working so it should be fine, however let me know if you see any weirdness.  As usual unpack to project, place this file into the root of the package, then rename it to 'wizard.txt'.

CBBE-SSE-1.54-Wizard.txt

6 hours ago, Beermotor said:

Here's a Wizard for CBBE 1.54 I whipped up this afternoon as I was resurrecting my SSE install from the dead. I only had to make minor modifications to get it working so it should be fine, however let me know if you see any weirdness.  As usual unpack to project, place this file into the root of the package, then rename it to 'wizard.txt'.

Thanks. It didn't work either with 0927055. It ran but didn't actually install. Instead of going back to my previous Bash, I checked for a new nightly and installed 09300231, then got this error:

File "bash\balt.pyo", line 2692, in __Execute
  File "bash\balt.pyo", line 1796, in _conversation_wrapper
  File "bash\basher\installer_links.pyo", line 302, in Execute
IndexError: list index out of range

BUT, the fomod installer worked again. 

One thing I noticed about the wizard is that there should be a "none" option for the brows.

11 hours ago, Tanker1985 said:

One thing I noticed about the wizard is that there should be a "none" option for the brows.

Thanks for testing it. That's something I never thought of but I'll check it out.

I'm one of those folks that uses the Wizard installer to make sure all of the package selections are correct then packs everything into a BSA and installs that instead. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 9:16 PM, Beermotor said:

That's something I never thought of but I'll check it out.

Have you thought about adding a "Skip" option to the wizard installer?

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, I was just prompted by WB to post in this thread due to a crash. Here's what it said:

File "bash\bash.pyo", line 372, in _main
  File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 4050, in Init
  File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 4087, in InitData
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1936, in refresh
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1683, in _modinfos_cache_wrapper
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1791, in refreshLoadOrder
  File "bash\load_order.pyo", line 303, in refresh_lo
  File "bash\load_order.pyo", line 253, in _update_cache
  File "bash\games.pyo", line 228, in get_load_order
  File "bash\games.pyo", line 247, in _cached_or_fetch
  File "bash\games.pyo", line 685, in _fetch_load_order
KeyError: bolt.Path(u'HOBMona.esp')

The mod in question is a follower mod that is set to hidden.

I tried opening and saving it in the CK to no avail.

3 hours ago, Infernio said:

@Mr. Dave Grab the latest WIP version (from the second post in this thread), should be fixed in that one.

Thank you! That worked like a champ!

Can you make BSA Redirection (via "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa") optional?  It's no longer necessary with SkyBSA.  Redundant, as it were.

• Like 1

@LJ44 Make sure you're using the latest WIP version (see the second post in this thread for the link)
@Malonn It already is optional, open the installers tab, right click on the column header and uncheck 'BSA Redirection'.

Sweet!  I was scouring through the INI; didn't think to check the installers tab.  Thanks, Infernio.

Just a note for you devs, BSA redirection is enabled by default, and unchecking it does not remove ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa from the Data\ directory.  However, it does remove the entry from the Oblivion.ini.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, apologies if this has been posted a hundred times and I just missed the proper reply in this thread. When installing Skyrim SE I wanted to run Wrye Bash, when it gave a Python error. Since the error was mentioning some kind of locale problem, I assumed it had something to do with a weird Daylight Savings Time issue (as I wanted to this the very day after DST ended here in the Netherlands) but at this point it still fails with the same error. Since the error itself told me to post the error info here, here it is:

File "bash\bash.pyo", line 372, in _main
  File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 4055, in Init
  File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 3709, in __init__
  File "bash\balt.pyo", line 3138, in __init__
  File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 3609, in UpdateIconSizes
  File "bash\balt.pyo", line 3153, in _addButton
  File "bash\basher\app_buttons.pyo", line 202, in GetBitmapButton
  File "bash\balt.pyo", line 181, in GetBitmap
  File "wx\_gdi.pyo", line 648, in __init__
PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "strcmp(setlocale(LC_ALL, NULL), "C") == 0" failed at ..\..\src\common\intl.cpp(1449) in wxLocale::GetInfo(): You probably called setlocale() directly instead of using wxLocale and now there is a mismatch between C/C++ and Windows locale.
Things are going to break, please only change locale by creating wxLocale objects to avoid this!

Thank you very much for any help!

@KatonRyu Are you using the latest WIP build (see second post in this thread for the link)? If not, try that version. It has completely rewritten locale handling, which should fix that error for good.