Information about SKSE64

Leonardo

@alt3rn1ty, by now I also had this problem with LOD sticking around after faster travel to Whiterun. This never happened in Skyrim. I have had no time to test anything about it though. Have you ever seen reports of this happening on any of the consoles?

There is no denying that the reported visual and game breaking bugs happen in vanilla Skyrim SE for everyone, they only get worse with mods. I find it surprising that Bethesda doesn't seem to think it would be prudent to fix those bugs that exist on all platforms. Together with some of the LOD generation functions broken in the CK, I can not help but find that it is basically a fuck you from Bethesda to mod authors and mod users. It would be much easier to make a switch even without an SKSE64 if those bugs were addressed. I have a hunch the situation has to do with the PS4 platform not allowing assets. I believe that was a big blow to Bethesda future modding plans as well.

It seems a bit silly if not just not inconvenient that we need to use INI settings to disable some of the graphical "improvements" as workarounds, so that the game doesn't look like the incoherent garbage that it is with default settings. I can live with that, since wanting non broken tree LOD reflection and "improved" snow blending with surroundings may be a personal preference. Regarding the large references, for myself I am also fine with removing all the data from all vanilla esm and then create a load order patch that eliminates all those issues. However, in the grand scheme of things, these workarounds only work on PC, which leaves the currently 3.9m or so console users whom actually paid money for the game with a broken game yet again.

If Bethesda wants to establish Skyrim SE and Bethesda.NET as *the* modding platform for the years to come in preparation for the next titles with hopefully some sensical paid modding option, they should continuously support it. IMHO that support includes fixing game engine bugs and fixing mod creation bugs with CK in addition to the few modding platform related updates they did.

2 hours ago, Sheson said:

If Bethesda wants to establish Skyrim SE and Bethesda.NET as *the* modding platform for the years to come in preparation for the next titles with hopefully some sensical paid modding option, they should continuously support it. IMHO that support includes fixing game engine bugs and fixing mod creation bugs with CK in addition to the few modding platform related updates they did.

If Bethesda really wants that to happen then they should really tell Sony that either Sony will stop denying PS4 users from using game assets in a BSA and allow PS4 users to use all mods that's availble for XB1.

Should Sony still continue to deny PS4 users from using advanced mods then Bethesda should consider the option to start talking with Nintendo about using mods for Nintendo Switch.  In other words replace Sony's PS4 with Nintendo's Switch console.

4 hours ago, Sheson said:

@alt3rn1ty, by now I also had this problem with LOD sticking around after faster travel to Whiterun. This never happened in Skyrim. I have had no time to test anything about it though. Have you ever seen reports of this happening on any of the consoles?.

I havent seen anything reference this issue on consoles, but I havent been looking for it recently either, nor participating much in Bethesda.Net, the new forum drives me nuts, so I only go there since the old forum shut down and follow the Wrye Bash development topic .. And occasionally after finding forum problems will have a moan in the forum feedback topic, so thats about my extent of looking in there.

Told bethesda about it about four times, nil response privately from official support, nor any recognition of the issue in the beta forums which get trashed afterwards, nor anyone in any official capacity in the topics I found discussing the same problem from other people ..

= The topic linked here is about where I gave up on bethesda for the umpteenth time :rolleyes:, and any hope they may address the issue.

I also would not ordinarily think to look for console issues, to me the idea of running any bethesda game on a closed box with limited if any modding capability to squish bethesda's standard range of a few thousand bugs per game, seems a bit of a daft idea, beth games on consoles are a waste of money imho, the unsolveable problems on those platforms would annoy the hell out of me, at least on PC there is hope that the community can solve the majority of problems which ruin what is potentially a great game. SSE and FO4 just with the unofficial patches are amazing, and my favourite games ever which have a lot of longevity .. Without the unofficial patches and general ability to tweak things I would be getting my money back.

Consoles having issues is a foregone conclusion which not much can be done about, so mostly turned a blind eye to as unsolveable and nothing anyone can really help with in any way. It is a shame though.

@alt3rn1ty, thanks for letting me know anyways. Yeah consoles are a double edged sword for me too. They seem a rather pointless platform to mod these games, but they undeniable have large sale numbers/users. I would have hoped the users would make a larger ruckus about bugs. But I suppose players (including PC) don't scrutinize things as much as us programmers/mod authors who deal with this stuff more regularly while simply testing things.

@Leonardo Mods for Nintendo Switch aren't confirmed? I guess we will only know for sure once it is out. Well at least we know the two new platforms Switch and the planed update for Xbox 2/Project Scorpio I read about mean Bethesda must be working on some engine stuff.

5 hours ago, Sheson said:

Together with some of the LOD generation functions broken in the CK, I can not help but find that it is basically a fuck you from Bethesda to mod authors and mod users.

I don't think this is at all a valid characterization of things. I think it's simply a matter of them just not knowing how the hell these parts of the engine really work. They've had this same LOD issue going all the way back to Oblivion and have never managed to fix it no matter how many different LOD systems they've changed to. Even Fallout 4 has this same problem at several of the quarry sites in the game. All without mods.

As far as Switch, no, they've not mentioned anything about mods for it so I'd guess they don't plan to support that. Nintendo may simply not allow it.

3 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I think it's simply a matter of them just not knowing how the hell these parts of the engine really work.

Well they did generate object LOD for Skyrim SE. Terrain LOD meshes maybe just converted as far I can tell. Terrain LOD textures are for sure not generated with the SE update.esm. They somewhat successfully generated LOD for Fallout4+DLC. So it must work to a degree. 
Those LOD systems have their basis on 90s technology/papers. It is holding together with band-aids by now. But technically really not that hard :) If something doesn't happen, it typically is about a bottom line somewhere one way or another. Based on the fact that most other stuff actually works, we can assume they have capable programmers at their disposal.

8 hours ago, Sheson said:

.. we can assume they have capable programmers at their disposal.

:) If only Bethesda could aspire to the same standards as Square Enix / Nintendo / etc in the polished prior to release department, and not quite as sloppy as we are used to on PC. Bethesda pushes faulty goods on the "captivated and salivating audience" (read "customers unfortunately daft enough to accept this in their masses") without fail every time they release something. They ought to be indie priced games not triple A, and receive similar bad publicity as Hellogames did after release of No Mans Sky.

I think Bethesda ought to offer mod authors some roundabout ideas / guidelines on what not to do on consoles too, technically I would imagine (not owning a console these days I dont know) having a one size fits all set of ini's (because the spec will always be the same on those machines), making mods which collectively could for example exceed memory budgets / processor time ought to be something that if it is necessary for the mod to do then should be noted in the mods description as potentially causing problems in combination with other mods doing the same, where tweaking of ini's is not possible to compensate. Maybe the console modding community has such an article somewhere I dont know.

Edit : .. But I guess most console users will not visit any modding forums because its probably not quite as common in the console world as it is with PCs, especially if mods on those platforms are also managed in-game, and places like the official forums / afk mods / nexus etc may never be considered as a source of helpful info to the majority of console users.

I don't think comparing them to HelloGames would really be appropriate since Bethesda hasn't shipped us an obviously incomplete game and then tried to quietly do so with post-release megapatches. Nor have they tried to pull an EA/Firaxis/Stardock and sell us the remainder of the missing features as expensive DLC.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Typical Nexus users. It never fails.

Yeah, and that's primarily my reason for not uploading my Skyrim Map Markers mod there.  Besides Nexus are too big for me.

• 3 months later...

For those of you wondering, yes, SkyUI 5.1 works so long as you do the following:

Once this is done, the full range of SkyUI 5.1 appears to be available, including any MCMs you had lying dormant from ported mods. All 7 of the ones I have that were sitting dormant came back to life.

It didn't work so easily for me. I had to add 'Skyrim.esm' as master to 'SkyUI.esp', otherwise the esp couldn't remain ticked in my load order (I don't have any other thing than the vanilla mods menu to handle this).

Also, in its actual state I have a CTD to report : make a search for a location by its name in the map menu. Once you click on it in the results column you get a CTD.

Ah, I hadn't poked far enough to get to a map search. I'm just surprised by how much is working once you get past that System menu crash.

Yes, that's quite astonishing. If only old SKSE plugins would work out-of-the-box, then that would be the cherry on the cake. :D

4 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

For those of you wondering, yes, SkyUI 5.1 works so long as you do the following:

Once this is done, the full range of SkyUI 5.1 appears to be available, including any MCMs you had lying dormant from ported mods. All 7 of the ones I have that were sitting dormant came back to life.

So you're using SkyUI 5.1 now or was this just testing SKSE64 in SSE.

8 hours ago, Leonardo said:

So you're using SkyUI 5.1 now or was this just testing SKSE64 in SSE.

Both. :) 

I loaded SkyUI  (and the workaround) first since it let me know if SKSE was working and provided MCM.

I did a bit of testing last night and was surprised by how many of the SSE ports had dormant MCM stuff in them. 

Indeed.  A lot of people are waiting for SKSE64, especially modders and advanced mod users at least those mod users who are playing a heavily modded SSE.

• 1 month later...

I've sent an email to the team for SKSE64f which I am using now along with SKYUI Beta.  I've been in the IT industry for 20 years.  I've also played Oldrim for over 1800 hours and I have yet to play SSE due to my interest in modding.  If needed I will download CK, Papyrus and Champolion (sp?) to help with anything related to working on projects for the community.  My programming skill set is weak, but I'm a self-taught technician and I have a vast interest in gaming, computer science, and programming (most of my work would benefit from learning algorithms and logice since PowerShell, Python, and PHP are viable scripting options for administrators.)

What would be required of someone to help with the SKSE project?  I have NOT read this entire thread so that would be my first order of business.  @Leonardo @Arthmoor  As of right now, I'm doing some side work not related to IT.  I come home and my first desire is to get my SSE load order correct so I can play.  However, I would be willing to sacrifice game time to learn more about this wonderful environment of modding and get SKSE and SKYUI to where it needs to be.

Strat

Edited by Strategy
Sentence Edit

Honestly I think they're already pretty much where they need to be. They may be listed as alphas, but so far as I can tell with the stuff I have, they all work fine.

The skillset needed for the kind of thing SKSE does goes way beyond anything Papyrus would touch, and the team has outlined it before. Unless you're proficient in runtime debugging, assembly, and reverse engineering of an exe file there's not much to be done except wait for the team to do their thing.

SkyUI requires solid knowledge of Flash and ActionScript, which seems to be lacking within the community but in theory shouldn't be overly hard to work out with the right tools. I don't know if they're looking for any help with their work or not though.

SKSE - runtime debugging, assembly, and reverse engineering of an exe file.  Did we properly thank Ian and Behippo for their work on SKSE?  I remember the days where Assembly Language was the only way you can program games.  It's been a while, so I would have to do some serious remedial training.   As for Flash and ActionScript, I haven't played much with them at all so that would be a learning curve.

I agree with you SKSE and SKYUI are working just fine.  Some mod authors are waiting until its released before they commit to an MCM.  The one's that have it already coded, it is working just fine.  I've messaged an author that won't return to his project until its released.  When I read this post, I wanted to make sure the author knew about this thread and hopefully they will return to the project to add the MCM configurations to the mod.

Oh the good old days of programming - I knew why I hated it, but I was young and stupid back then.  It truly is an artistic skill honed by only the best minds!