Cleaning FO4 Master files

avrie05

Seeing as I'm a disciple of the AFK cleaning guide for Skyrim and the SSE, and have been spreading the gospel all over the Steam forums ... I'm wondering about FO4. I just bit the bullet and picked up season pass. The first thing I did was install FO4edit, and checked the masters (out of shear habit at this point) and ran into the expected hundreds of ITMs and UDRs. I had hoped to find a cleaning guide here showing any additional manual edits, but I didn't find any. Just wondering if I missed it somewhere, or if I shouldn't be cleaning FO4 ???

WB307b1 is clean and green, I just want to make sure I didn't screw up anything :geek:

Thanks

Edit - Everything appears to be OK, but I'm now getting "missing string localization files" and red  backgrounds for only the three workshop.esm files in WryeBash. I re-ran the launcher, and even restored the original "dirty" masters. Not sure what's happening, but the game seems to run OK.

I haven't done a guide for FO4

But I am using cleaned plugins for the same using the latest xEdit, same routine all automated cleaning of ITMs and UDRs, no manual cleaning that I know of yet, I forget what excuse I have for not doing a FO4 guide :). I think I was hoping for more developments in the Official Patches to come along first before committing to it, and possibly a bit more xEdit development as a result .. But to be honest I think Zilav has pretty much done everything that will ever be needed to xEdit with the current games it supports. So its just a case of hanging on in hopes of another official patch to solve the remaining issues with the game.

There are issues remaining with Skyrim SE too, and also hopes that an Official patch will come along so all checksums will need redoing if thats the case - Thing is with Skyrim, SSE was a bit of a surprise and the Skyrim Original had already got past the point where a guide with results that would remain the same forever after was good to go. Then SSE happened so I had to update it a few more times.

So I'm waiting on FO4 being final really, before doing another guide which hopefully will not need much in the way of updating afterwards.

In the following screenshots I am using the latest "WB wip standalone" build off Dropbox (linked in the second post here)

00.png

00.5.png

That version of Wrye Bash standalone was uploaded only a couple of days ago, but the missing string files problems have been solved in development for quite a while now

in the meantime, FO4Edit 3.2.1 results

dlcrobot - 45 itm, 38 und, 1 nav
dlcworkshop01 - 6 itm
dlccoast - 75 itm, 86 und
dlcworkshop02 - 2 itm
dlcworkshop03 - 18 itm, 10 und
dlcnukaworld - 193 itm, 418 und, 7 nav

I don't think we can count on FO4 being locked down until there's a GOTY Edition that has everything in the package. Until then I'd expect the door to still be open on more patching even if it's not all that frequent. The gap between Skyrim 1.8 and 1.9 was pretty big.

Sorry, I'm a duffus ... I downloaded the current installer version from Utumno's WIP link, but accidentally installed the current Nexus version (307.201612302300) from my library drive which I had previously downloaded. Thanks for the replies. Funny how I got no errors until after I cleaned. That's what threw me. I didn't even notice the incorrect version #.

Seeing as the current version on the Nexus is 6 months old ... Might I suggest it's probably a good time to update the file ... if for no other reason than to avoid other idiots like me doing what I just did to myself.

Thanks again

Its pretty close to release (so a proper 307 (no beta) will be up when its ready)

Utumno only recently had a volunteer popped in to submit code which can handle extracting data with new LZ4 compression (SSE and FO4), so that for example you can now see the masters on a save file for both of those games, which we couldn't before. The integration of that (and some very recent overhaulling of the code for handling BAINs) upset extracting some older BAINs, which has been fixed in the Dev Build we are currently using ..

.. Its an ongoing process of finishing up a lot of refactoring details which Utumno wants all to be right before it goes public, some of it being quite complex hurdles, and keeping all legacy mods out there which people have become accustomed to being handled by Wrye Bash, supported.

I agree it really could do with going up when you compare what we have now in Dev versus the version up on Nexus, but I would not wish to hurry Utumno along when he is so close to having probably the best (and most stable in all of its functions) version of Wrye Bash ever published. He has done a fantastic job of overhauling just about every aspect of its code over the last 5 years, waiting a few more days / weeks / months imho is well worth it.

Then it can move onwards with Patchers, and possibly a BSA / BA2 management tab .. And whatever else Utumno's talent brings to the table. The main overhaul though which is nearly at completion, needs to finish up all loose ends to Utumno's satisfaction first.

17 minutes ago, alt3rn1ty said:

...Utumno only recently had a volunteer popped in to submit code which can handle extracting data with new LZ4 compression (SSE and FO4), so that for example you can now see the masters on a save file for both of those games...

I think you meant SSE only.

I see masters in FO4 saves without any problem, for a long time.

vuPU7aCl.png

Yes, the lz4 stuff is an SSE-specific issue. The code for FO4 is reading save masters just fine already.

That said, there is a patch by a guy to provide the lz4 to get SSE up to parity on this and thus far it's working perfectly fine in my casual testing.

56 minutes ago, InsanePlumber said:

I think you meant SSE only.

Yep my bad, FO4 saves were already readable

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Am new to this so excuse my ignorance. What is cleaning? When you discuss cleaning the master files exactly what is happening and why? 

As mentioned. Am new and just trying to understand these terms etc.