Help making a little mod like Quick light

dovapix

Hi guy's,

I just finished a 3D lantern model that i want to use like in the quick light mod here : http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/73473/?

I have a fair knowledge of modding with nifskope and the CK but i have only basic knowledge of scripting so i download the mod to see how it was setup and i decompile both pex to psc so i can read them in notepad++. One script was the mcm part that go with skse and as we recently learn that it will be indefinitely reported so i am trying to make mods working without skse.

What i want is the player to be able to equip a lantern on his belt and to be able to have an on and off switch via keyboard keys.

If someone can help with this scripting task you will be author like me in the credits.

Please don't ask me to use wearable lantern since it make face too dark and it use armor equipment slots.

22 minutes ago, lmstearn said:

@Dovapix: Can't help with too much- but here's the Tutorial Reference and example scripts.

Try searching nexus for mods that use accessories for equipment. It may be using e.g. OnItemAdded but not sure.

Thank Amstearn,

I already saw all these links but thank anyway.

Maybe there is no need for a script at all since i was thinking of using a duplicate of the torch in weapon and replace the torch mesh with my custom lantern preferably in the back of the player and then moving it to the correct location.

Problem is i think that the hand of the player will be displaying the hold torch pose?

Yes, there's a fair bit of work there. Have you checked out Chesko's Wearable Lanterns? It has a large SKSE component but there maybe something in the bsa that can help. Or this older mod, but not sure if they have modified any animations.

7 hours ago, lmstearn said:

Yes, there's a fair bit of work there. Have you checked out Chesko's Wearable Lanterns? It has a large SKSE component but there maybe something in the bsa that can help. Or this older mod, but not sure if they have modified any animations.

Hi Imstearn,

I am currently analyzing how some of the lantern mods were done and will probably do some testing but i think using a torch duplicate will not work since the player will have the holding torch pose and that why some mods just made the player using the torch holding pose to fit with a lantern.

The approach with armor slots seem to be the best choice to do it but i will investigate a little more today.

Not much success so far, not able to find a way to equip the lantern on the character, what is needed is a way to make the lantern appear on back of player via keyboard command.

OK thing are going much better after a day of testing, now i can equip the new lantern on the back of the player via body slot and i understand how to add light to object via magic effect and i have flickering light FX that work hurrayyyyyyyy!

The only thing left to do will be giving choice of various light intensity like low,medium,high via spellbook but i never did this before so i will have to Google it tomorrow.

I will not include a fuel gauge since it would imply a script and i want most of my mod without them for simplicity and reliability.

Just got a new problem that occurred after a few more test the light flickering FX simply stop working and even re starting the game and re installing the mod did not fix it. So far i only had problem  with the magic effect that include a light(candlelight) but if i use the torch it work flawlessly so maybe something is conflicting, at first i thought it could be the glass from the lantern since it's enclosing the light source but it's change nothing!

I will try to put a candle with associated light and see if i can get it to work or else i think there is no other mesh that have a light in it but i could be wrong.

Someone on another forum mention the possibility to avoid loading the arm holding torch pose but he probably was referring to do it via script and i want my mod to be without script.

I got another full day to do test so let's hope i will fix these issues.

After a lot of test i think that i can confirmed that the light flicker or pulse FX will never work with magic effect, it's have to be hard coded on the torch or else the magic effect form is not supporting light FX for performance considerations.

Last hope to get it working is to make some nifskope voodoo and use a ring nif and replace every nodes with the torch nodes and see if i can fool the game engine this way.

Technically if using the ring nif with the torch nif nodes in a body slot then equipping the lantern should trigger the torch light with working flickering fx.

If this does not work than my last choice will be to just replace the torch with my lantern mesh and fit it to the hand holding torch position since this way flickering will work. For some it might sound like i am desperate to get a trivial FX to work but i will make a video with lantern with flickering FX and one without it and you will quickly see how immersion get broken without.