[FO4] Mipmaps coruption and loose files textures correlation ?

Kesta

Sorry if the title of the topic sounds alarming, this is definitely not the goal. 

I just came back after a few months of being mostly afk (and before that, I was on SSE...). I just reinstalled FO4 last weekend, and since I spent my gaming time benchmarking performances configurations, INI settings, and getting a simple base working with just a few UI mods and some in-esp tweaks. Everything went well, zero issues, I was quite happy.

Then, I started an actual playthrough yesterday night and thought "Baah, might as well throw in a new weapon for fun", so I installed the Walther P99. Once done, I start playing, exit vault 101, go in sanctuary, begin to scrap stuffs... and notice that the old mipmap corruption glitch is still here (I encountered it often when I was playing and overloading my load order), while it was gone since the beginning of the week:

enb2017_3_31_20_46_09.thumb.jpg.11df000dd5a2a2a268c5fdebc490c505.jpg

Yes, it's just the mipmap. Getting close to the mailbox turn it back into an actual mailbox with proper rusty texture. Getting away result in the same fancy corruption.

So it got me thinking... since this is the first addition to the setup that come with textures and materials as loose files, could there be a correlation between the two ? I know that mipmap management is tightly linked to ba2. Even if it doesn't seem to make much sense (though a few month working in the software industry taught me that nothing is actually a linear logic like modding seems to be at the first glance). 
That said, even if there was no loose files previously, I still had the relevant INI tweaks. I know this visual glitch isn't 100% reproductible, so it's possible that this is pure coincidence... this is what I'm trying to find out.

I'm mostly thinking about the engine trying to "cache" the loose textures to compensate the absence of the .ba2 format one way or the other, and resulting in some corruption, despite the loose textures being completely unrelated to the corrupted ones.

Have anyone noticed a correlation between the frequency / intensity of mimap corruption and the usage of loose files ? (Or any specific INI settings ?)
I used to think it was mostly due to the amount of VRAM usage, because when it used to happens when I installed a lot of textures mods... but then again, those were loose textures back then. I doubt my VRAM is overloaded in any way after 5 minutes outside of the vault and a vanilla visual setup. (I only have 2Go... no crazy amount, but should be enough).

That is a possibility.  Have you tried BA2 archiving everything to see if the problem disappears? I am not barebones on mods, but not hugely over-modded yet, and I am contemplating total BA2 archiving of all loose textures to see if that solves the rainbow mipmap corruption. Be sure to configure the Archive2 utility correctly to pack them as BA2 texture archives.

It alternately manifests as the wrong texture's mipmap, and on mesh bits with transparency, by disappearing at non-max mipmap levels.

Time to do potential hardware correlations here too: Gameboy and Kesta, what is your video card?  Mine is an Powercolor Radeon R7 370 with 4GB 256b GDDR5 RAM.

I heard that even nVidia cards get it too, though, and people suspect it's a problem with the game itself.

One of the reasons why I uninstalled FO4 long time ago. Appeared suddenly on a pure vanilla game without DLCs after some patch and I couldn't fix that. Crappy engine and crappy game.

I saw it a few times in 2015, but then patches rolled out for both the game and my video drivers and I've not seen the problem since then.

Okay, thanks everyone for the feedback. Look like it isn't correlated to the absence/presence of loose files since it can appear on pure vanilla setup. Probably more related to a VRAM cap / hardware limitation...

For the record, I have an old profesional mobile card that's not so bad for its great age, a FirePro M6100 with 2Go of VRAM. For now it's all AMD cards, but the sample is a bit too small to make any deduction. Maybe I'll try to find the time to ask around Nexus/Reddit/Beth.net this week to gather some more input. Not that it's going to solve anything, but you know... for science :P

Plenty of folks were reporting it back in 2015 on both nVidia and AMD hardware. I doubt very much it's a vendor specific issue.

I had this problem only once, on some lampposts in front of faneuil hall. Nvidia card. You could try taking a pix frame (google it to know more - I don't know the exaclty details of usage) and then sent to someone with better understand of the subject.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2017 at 7:06 PM, kawaksallas said:

I had this problem only once, on some lampposts in front of faneuil hall. Nvidia card. You could try taking a pix frame (google it to know more - I don't know the exaclty details of usage) and then sent to someone with better understand of the subject.

I hope so, but i heard a rumor that F4SE 0.3.1 could potentially get rid of it... Unlikely but you never know. Guess only time can tell

On 5/16/2017 at 1:09 PM, hlp said:

F4SE 0.3.1 is published. No need to wait :)

Does it fix the bug? O_O IT WOULD BE PERFECT IF IT DOES! I REALLY HOPE IT DOES *so much hype right now*

Well, I doubt it, haven't read anything about it other than this post, though I'll admit I haven't been monitoring the FO4 scene much. But it'd be surprising as the problem haven't really been pin-pointed anyway as far as i'm aware of. But you can just install the latest f4se and run the game, usually the problem is fairly easy to reproduce if you're subject to it, just play for 10-20min or so and you start seeing some or a lot of objects with the glitch.

16 hours ago, Kesta said:

Well, I doubt it, haven't read anything about it other than this post, though I'll admit I haven't been monitoring the FO4 scene much. But it'd be surprising as the problem haven't really been pin-pointed anyway as far as i'm aware of. But you can just install the latest f4se and run the game, usually the problem is fairly easy to reproduce if you're subject to it, just play for 10-20min or so and you start seeing some or a lot of objects with the glitch.

Nvm, still there... I wasted my time... I'm f***ing stupid for thinking the game will work (the game is pure vanilla too)