Bethesda and AMD

zilav

AMD made a CPU/GPU for consoles and I think that TES6/FO5 will be released on current consoles.

So there is something about it...

3 hours ago, zilav said:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-and-bethesda-2017feb28.aspx

Maybe a hint that future TES/Fallout games will finally have a new modern engine instead of Morrowind aged NetImmerse/Gamebryo? One can only hope.

This is silly, it's not going to help either of them get better at anything. That's like Bethesda saying to AMD "Hey, we both make crap, lets be friends!"

Which would be true if either AMD or Bethesda actually made crap.

I've been an avid user of both of their products for 20+ years now. AMD has never once made something you could legitimately call a dud, any more than Intel has. While Bethesda's products have their share of bugs, so do all the other games on the market.

AMD H/W has always been within coo-eee of advertised specs.

IMOP the only little blot on AMD's S/W copybook perhaps was Raptr- and the addition of Crimson to Radeon. (Don't know if this applies to newer GPUs- but if they just bundled all the driver stuff into one program...)

Are NVIDIA and Vulcan et al going to join the party?

Now that I've read the press release marketing babble, what does this actually mean?

It basically means Bethesda was super happy with the results of the Vulkan patch for DOOM and wants to make it a long term partnership for future titles. Which IMO bodes well for TES VI.

It might even be the new tech Todd was talking about needing before TES VI could happen.

Hopefully, 'new tech' won't mean 'modding impossible'.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I'd like to think that they won't so easily abandon the ability to mod the mainline TES/FO series games even with new engines. I have no idea how moddable titles outside of Todd's immediate control are though.