[WIP] Crafting Schematics SSE [Need Input]

marthgun

I played Witcher 3 and i just now noticed how stupid the crafting system for skybirds is.  you basically get dumped every single schematic based on perk.

so i made a mod that essentially requires schematics (without removing perk requisites) to craft.

Because I'm a big fan of Morrowloot, i built this with that in mind.  So,

1) what do you think of the idea?  (i think its really awesome and that i am a genius)

2) edit:  cdcooley came through like a madman and fixed me up! should be able to work with any mod now and be modular.

3) assuming I didn't screw this up or missed something important, is there any playtesters or perhaps people who can help me catalogue the major mods that I need to make patches for?

I know Ordinator probably needs a patch, all weapons and armor mods, but I'm not as up to date on what's out there for SSE.

4) Name Ideas for mod are welcome, I went with Crafting Schematics SSE for now.  Hlep and thank you

5) i REALLY need input for how to have a more dynamic system for getting the schematics.  Obviously i think the bulk of schematics should come from Blacksmiths, perhaps after they warm up to you. Some through leveled lists.  Perhaps some through quests.  Although the more I go crazy the more I'm likely to break/overwrite/be overridden when other mods are added.  Thoughts?

6) one of my other wild and crazy thoughts was since this will help keep the uh crafting menu cleaner, i need a clever way to "unlearn" a recipe or rather remove the recipe.  Should be something sexy.

• 4 years later...
On 2/8/2017 at 5:09 AM, marthgun said:

I played Witcher 3 and i just now noticed how stupid the crafting system for skybirds is.  you basically get dumped every single schematic based on perk.

so i made a mod that essentially requires schematics (without removing perk requisites) to craft.

Because I'm a big fan of Morrowloot, i built this with that in mind.  So,

1) what do you think of the idea?  (i think its really awesome and that i am a genius)

2) edit:  cdcooley came through like a madman and fixed me up! should be able to work with any mod now and be modular.

3) assuming I didn't screw this up or missed something important, is there any playtesters or perhaps people who can help me catalogue the major mods that I need to make patches for?

I know Ordinator probably needs a patch, all weapons and armor mods, but I'm not as up to date on what's out there for SSE.

4) Name Ideas for mod are welcome, I went with Crafting Schematics SSE for now.  Hlep and thank you

5) i REALLY need input for how to have a more dynamic system for getting the schematics.  Obviously i think the bulk of schematics should come from Blacksmiths, perhaps after they warm up to you. Some through leveled lists.  Perhaps some through quests.  Although the more I go crazy the more I'm likely to break/overwrite/be overridden when other mods are added.  Thoughts?

6) one of my other wild and crazy thoughts was since this will help keep the uh crafting menu cleaner, i need a clever way to "unlearn" a recipe or rather remove the recipe.  Should be something sexy.

In any other game I'd say you had a point but since perks are unlocked by skill level and skill level is unlocked by practise I don't think the criticism is as fair. Especially since the smithing tree it gated and tiered so you start out with the easy material and then it leads into the rest.

That said I actually like the idea of a smithing system that is pure research based. Mechanically speaking you could set it that to unlock dwarven gear your character has to explore and research (clear) three dwarven dungeons say and bring back an item to 'study' (destroying it to learn its secrets like enchanting does) I always make it a point to find armour instead of crafting it myself wherever possible too.

It would actually be cool if you added a starter smithing quest where the player has to start by researching and crafting ordinary clothes say just to learn about the patterns for fit. And if you felt was in keeping with the mod you could actually have special ultra high level dungeons where the player takes on enemies in ebony, daedric, dragon bone and dragon scale armour.

In terms of patches there's Complete Crafting and Alchemy Overhaul that this probably touches and of course Ars Metallica.

One thing I will say is I can't test mods that aren't flagged as ESL since I'm at my limit.

• 3 months later...
On 12/5/2021 at 1:09 PM, Farshnuke said:

In any other game I'd say you had a point but since perks are unlocked by skill level and skill level is unlocked by practise I don't think the criticism is as fair. Especially since the smithing tree it gated and tiered so you start out with the easy material and then it leads into the rest.

That said I actually like the idea of a smithing system that is pure research based. Mechanically speaking you could set it that to unlock dwarven gear your character has to explore and research (clear) three dwarven dungeons say and bring back an item to 'study' (destroying it to learn its secrets like enchanting does) I always make it a point to find armour instead of crafting it myself wherever possible too.

It would actually be cool if you added a starter smithing quest where the player has to start by researching and crafting ordinary clothes say just to learn about the patterns for fit. And if you felt was in keeping with the mod you could actually have special ultra high level dungeons where the player takes on enemies in ebony, daedric, dragon bone and dragon scale armour.

In terms of patches there's Complete Crafting and Alchemy Overhaul that this probably touches and of course Ars Metallica.

One thing I will say is I can't test mods that aren't flagged as ESL since I'm at my limit.

• 2 months later...

Honestly I wanted something like this about 8 years ago but was told it wasnt possible at the time. I agree that it is dumb that you magically know how to make everything based on a perk. I though being able to buy schematics from traders or finding them in appropriate chests or other lootable containers would be awesome. Basically like how we learn spells. You find the tomb, you read it and you know the spell. You find a schematic, you study it and you craft the item. If you wanted to stretch the process out you could make schematics incomplete and would need to find all the pieces, might be a better option for more rare items based on materials. Like you find the schematics for a Ebony Sword, but unlike the steel sword this schematic is older and damaged. So you are unable to craft the item. It becomes a quest that requires more of the same schematic. Amount could be based on tier rarity or completely random. I think going above 3 total schematics needed would feel a bit much. Unless it's something uber rare or powerful. Just some ideas I had when I originally wanted this.

• 2 weeks later...