High Gate Ruins Puzzle

justafyde

I’m re-visiting High Gate Ruins though not on any quest. All my standard quests are done but it is a radiant quest location.

None of the four puzzle levers to open the grate work now. They should stay pulled over but instead they spring back. So, the descent down the stairs remains blocked.

I have seen this reported before on other forums but seems like the bug is back? Can anyone check please?

Is the grate suppose to reset to closed?

I’m using XB1.

On 1/19/2017 at 11:32 PM, justafyde said:

I’m re-visiting High Gate Ruins though not on any quest. All my standard quests are done but it is a radiant quest location.

None of the four puzzle levers to open the grate work now. They should stay pulled over but instead they spring back. So, the descent down the stairs remains blocked.

I have seen this reported before on other forums but seems like the bug is back? Can anyone check please?

Is the grate suppose to reset to closed?

I’m using XB1.

The bug isn't back. We fixed that issue a long time ago. It isn't working in your case because you don't have the patch active (I was able to determine that from looking at one of your reports in the tracker). You might want to fix that to save yourself any further frustrations.

Returning to High Gate Ruins for a radiant quest blocks access to the treasure container if Vokun has already been killed. (Bug #235)

BlackPete: not sure what you mean by "you don't have the patch active". It was the 1st mod I added and I added it on day one. I have checked a few simple fixes (cabbage and apple stew sound; The First Lesson book text;) and they appear corrected as described.

Occasionally I have noticed some things supposedly fixed but still misbehaving in SE. One example is Lydia, who is suppose to go sleep in her own bed in Breezehome. In the middle of the night I find her only ever standing next to her bed, but never lieing down on it. However, it seems half right, because on my PS3 unpatched version I’d find her sitting in my bedroom.

We know for a fact this particular bug has been fixed, and said fix works just fine in SSE. Nothing changed. Fixes don't just randomly stop working. Either you don't have your patch activated, as Pete figured out you didn't before, or you have other mods that are somehow reverting these fixes.

The fix you linked to is not for the bug I’m reporting. I’m trying to open the trapdoor gate by pulling four levers in the correct order. This is not related to the room behind Vokun's throne.

I have this issue as well. It might be related to this: "The first puzzle door in High Gate Ruins did not reset correctly if you failed, making it possible to resolve it with a shortcut. Two draugr on the next level have also been fixed so they can't shout at you from behind a wall until it's appropriate for them to be active. (Bug #13438)".

The problem is we're going to need a way to reproduce this regardless of whether it's a vanilla bug or if by some strange chance it is related to a previous fix. If someone can provide a save, FormID, and/or screenshots (obviously only possible on PC) that would be helpful. Since these issues tend to get lost (and sometimes ignored) in the forums, it would be best to add it to the tracker assuming you have some way to back up your claim that it is broken.

That'll probably not help but I think you guys are all correct, and are all talking about the same things in different languages or with different logics. Everything fixed in USSEP DOES effectively work on PC. That's something we can see, test, tweak, check, validate and acknowledge, I think we all agree about this.

Arth, Pete, claiming that whatever issue is fixed is true ON PC. And I'm afraid you're assuming XB1 behaves like a PC, which is WRONG. Just look at my hack to be conviced by this statement : making intentional dirty edits to force loading specific meshes is a total nonsense in PC logic, but if it works on console then we have to admit it's a requirement on XB1.

Justin, Multi, I do not question your sincerity when you say that USSEP is effectively activated on your console. But as your hardware doesn't support mods in the same way as PCs I'm afraid we won't be able to help you... :( Maybe that many things are just not retroactive on an current playthrough on XB1 (Lydia standing all night proves that her bed wasn't replaced by the fixed USSEP version, not necessarily that you have a later mod that overrides Breezehome imo), and it is just unacceptable to ask you to start a new game upon each USSEP update. It is also totally unacceptable for us to clutter USSEP with dirty edits just to force loading fixed references (for example) on a hardware that none of us owns, none of us can test, tweak, check (no papyrus logging possible, for example) and acknowledge.

XB1 just doesn't handle mods the way we (PC players) are intending. Releasing USSEP on XB1 was a very kind and philantropic intention from Arthmoor, I have absolutely no doubt about it. But imo it was like a colour movie rendered on a black & white TV set : we all have to admit that we can't afford a worthy support for console players, and Bethesda is the only one to blame...

Fair enough.

I do think a solution for this is possible, either by fully resetting the puzzle (allowing the gate to be reopened) or better, totally preventing the puzzle from resetting (which will keep the gate open upon revisit).

However, nothing changes about USSEP being a massive improvement to the game by fixing 100s if not 1000s of issues on XBox One, and I will always be thankful for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I visited the ruins again. The puzzle levers still spring back. However, there is one thing about this puzzle that I originally thought was not relevent, yet perhaps it is??

In the corridor above the puzzle room, just before it, is a coffin with a Draugr still in it that glows red when I "Aura Whisper" or blue when I "Detect Dead". I think he won't come out because I’m at 100% and highly perked in Sneak. Is it possible that the cell does not reset because that last Draugr is still active?

[PS: I just figured out if I hit the side of the coffin with a Great Sword he does come out - shorter weapons don't work]

No, that wouldn't make any difference. It will reset regardless of whether you kill all NPCs or not (including the boss). Going back before the 30 day reset period is complete will reset the timer though.