Some issues after recent upgrade

Hana

A few things I've noticed so far..

1. Sometimes pages just load a blank white page. It happened the first time I logged in, and several random times as I've been browsing the site. Reloading the page sometimes works, otherwise I have to erase half the url to load the main page in order to get back.

2. I can no longer respond to topics under Site Announcements. There's no reply button.

3. Can't get to any of the downloads. From the Downloads page, selecting any subcategory again takes you to a blank white page but this time reloading will not get you there. This is an example of the url selecting a category takes you to;

category: Skyrim - http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/category/66-skyrim/
subcategory: models and textures - http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/category/93-models-amp-textures/

Otherwise, I like it.

Looks like all of that was due to a missing PHP xml module. Sometimes little things mean quite a bit :P

Another issue that came up - during the upgrade process the software mentioned that your "display name" is now what the site will expect you to use for your username. If your display name is different from your original user name you used to log in, you need to change that to your display name. Who knows why they did that, but they did.

You could probably switch to the "Default" one which is what comes with IPB, but no, there is no dedicated mobile theme anymore. It's supposed to handle downstepping to mobile on its own.

Just a couple more:

Will there ever be a "mark as read" toggle for each topic?

A clipped preview of replies to status updates is something we will miss.

is it possible to get a link to the bugtracker on the main forum page?

Posting: No BBCcode box? No "Show format tags" button anymore?

1. Apparently not. Not that I knew where that was before anyway :P

2. Not unless they decide to update that in the future.

3. Yeah, I can stick one of those redirect forums up for that.

4. That's a big annoyance for me too and I have no idea what was going through their heads when they took that button away. Admins and moderators have a "Source" button but that displays HTML, not BBCode.

All entirely legit issues IMO and they should do something about providing that since they make people pay such ridiculous amounts of money for this package.

personally, i like it when a mobile layout offers the same functionality as the desktop page. All the buttons end up a bit on the small scale, even though they are scaled for the small screens. It feels like they are aiming at 6'' screens nowadays. But i still prefer having all the buttons over having only a few bigger ones.

Anyway, here's my main issue so far: The background image is designed in wide screen format, not for vertical orientation.

we now get the transparent boxes over the background image on mobile, too. but the image is only displayed scaled to screen width in the upper third of the screen, with the lower part being gray. It feels odd when scrolling.

could the design be changed to offer a different background for vertical orientation? Maybe use a 9 to 16 crop out of the original as the image that gets scaled to screen width on mobile/vertical orientation? I hope that's something that's possible with the package.

Is there any possibility to remove images from gallery because somehow I can not find such an "option".

Do we need to re-edit mod download pages to get rid of the extra double line spacing in descriptions .. Or is this still a setup thing pending, for example :

https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/1264-kill-the-orchestra/

I think I did some of the extra spacing in that description myself, but it just looks wrong / too much with the new site software compaired with how it used to look.

No problem if we do need to edit again, I just thought if its a case of a missing site file / setting or something I would leave it for now.

Really like the Home Page Horker Banner and its resizing behaviour, and being able to click to go back to the home page easily without scrolling anywhere .. Nice touch.

Very glad the Lets Encrypt transition went well to HTTPS, I only made that recommendation after doing a lot of reading about it and early adopters experiences, it was designed to be as trouble / maintenance free as possible, and its Cert updates should just auto apply forever after :geek:.

Oh hey, you dont have any thumbsup emote, is the selection just a bunch of site defaults ?

Yep, if you manually added a bunch of double spacing you'll want to go and remove what you don't want. IPB 4 apparently forces double spaced lines when you hit enter with no means to disable it.

Heh, the banner resizing is part of the skin we're using. Wasn't us, so all credit to the people who did that. We're using the skin in more or less the default setup with side tweaks as allowed by the controls.

Nope, I guess we don't have a thumbs up emote for whatever reason. When you use the smiley face on the editor, click "categories" and you'll have an option to pull from all 110 we do have. Not sure why they did things that way but all of our stuff is still in there.

On 2017-01-24 at 11:37 PM, Arthmoor said:

Heh, the banner resizing is part of the skin we're using. Wasn't us, so all credit to the people who did that. We're using the skin in more or less the default setup with side tweaks as allowed by the controls.

One thing you can do is to scale down the AFK Mods forum image at the top to the same size after it has been scaled down.  Or use the AFK Mods image as a background image and remove as it is today.

On 2017-01-24 at 11:37 PM, Arthmoor said:

Yep, if you manually added a bunch of double spacing you'll want to go and remove what you don't want. IPB 4 apparently forces double spaced lines when you hit enter with no means to disable it.

Sorry for the double post, but I think there is a bug with the double spacing and that affects the posters signture.  Have just corrected my signature since it was 3 empty lines between the first link and the second link to 1 empty line.

I found an option in the post controls to make the enter key only send a single line, not a double space. It seems to be working, but I have no idea what it may do to existing post formatting either, or if it works in signatures too.

Nevermind, as it turns out, a preformatted post you might have saved somewhere in a text file gets destroyed if you post it with single spacing turned on. Seems we just can't win with this software.

There seems to be an issue when searching.  I was looking for a post that Turija mention the Black Soulgem and I got this error code when using the "Black Soulgem" keyword.

Error code: 1C205/3

Any idea what it means?

I also saw this "Please wait 11 seconds before searching again." text or similar.  Has that something to do with the flood control setting in ACP, about how often a member can post without being restricted in the forum?

The error code seems to be generic, or basically useless. Can't tell which.

There is a rate limiter on searches though because they're heavy resource actions on the server side. It has nothing to do with post timers.

The background image moves with the semi transparent windows when scrolling (in MS Edge), and resets it's position a few times per second, which looks super odd.

this is present in most semitransparent rectangles, but not e.g. in the reply rectangle.

Pretty sure this is something that would need to be escalated to the programmers of the suite, along with the issue of the odd background image scaling on vertical monitors.

• 3 weeks later...