[RELz] Skyrim Map Markers

Leonardo

Skyrim_Map_Markers-mod_image.jpg.7747dd33fa3f05dc2760c7250ebd81a2.jpg

Courtsey to cedric37 @ TWC forum for making the images for the banner and the sigbar.

Skyrim Map Markers

Simply put, this mod adds map markers for places that don't have one in the game. In total, there are over 250 *new* map markers added!

What this mod does is to let the player to discover new places; places you had no idea that existed in Skyrim. This mod gives the best results in a new game, but it can be installed in your current game.

Download @ AFK Mods

Download @ Nexus

Download @ TWC

Installation

Just extract the archive into the Skyrim\Data folder and activate the ESP in the Skyrim Launcher or use your favourite the mod manager, but I'll not offer support for MO or NMM since I haven't tried those mod managers.

I only offer support for Wrye Bash since I use Wrye Bash myself.

Upgrading

Just install the new version, overwriting the old version of the plugin with the new release.

In Wrye Bash just overwrite the old archive, unless you want to keep it, then use anneal or install missing file(s) in BAIN to update this mod. Always rebuild the bashed patch and run LOOT.

Uninstall

Just delete the Skyrim Map Markers.esp file in the Skyrim\Data directory. You can uninstall this mod any time since the mod doesn't install any scripts.

Credits

- Bethesda for a remastered Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, and the Creation Kit 64-bit.

Additional Information

This mod has been cleaned in SSEEdit. The latest version can be found here: 

There shouldn't be any issues, unless another mod has changed the same cell and has replaced a map marker from this mod.

Should you have an issue then try to load this mod last in your load order, but before Arthmoor's Dawnguard Map Markers mod. Contact me if you have any issues.

Release Information

- 1.9 for Skyrim Special Edition

Note: The 1.8 version for the Skyrim Legendary Edition is the final version, since I have decided not to mod Skyrim Legendary Edition anymore.

Permission

DO NOT upload this mod to any site without my permission.

NO porting to other games, inlcuding to any mod for other TES (Morrowind, Oblivion or later) games.
NO commercial purposes whatsoever!

Always, ask for my permission for...

Translation
Mod compilations
Mod Merging, if another mod is released with this mod integrated in it
Mod Mirroring
Conversion for consoles

If I am no longer around in the community then the stewardship for this mod belongs to these sites:

AFK Mods

Finally, the community modding history sites such as the Morrowind Modding History (MMH) always have my permission to ensure my mod will be preserved for the future.

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking to reduce the detection radius for a map marker to let say between 80% to 60% based on the vanilla setting.

I think reducing the detection radius makes the gameplay more immersive in-game.

What do you think?

I've also been thinking about converting the Skyrim Map Markers mod to console.  How do I do that in the CK?

• 2 months later...

I finally finish updating my mod and the first post has the details.

• 5 weeks later...

First, Thank you for putting this on console!

Second, I like the idea of making the detection radius smaller. Encourage more exploration but also direct people at the same time.

My reason for decreasing the detection radious is to make it more immersive in-game, plus it also prevent a cluttered HUD from happening in-game more often than it does in vanilla.

Leonardo.

Not sure if this will help but here is the best map I could find of the Strategy Guide's list of all secondary locations worth visiting! Maybe something you can check out and place map markers for if you don't have some. Thank you for this mod!

Strategy Guide Map Markers.jpg

Wow, where in earth did you find that map? :woot:  Do you have a link to that map?

Because it's a little hard to read the tiny text and this one might need to magnify the map a bit.

https://www.primagames.com/pages/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition-game-guid

It comes with this guide. Green circles are random encounters and the small light grey circle numbers document all the unmarked secondary locations in the game worth visiting. The small dark grey ones are dragon mounds. I can't find the location where I found that but it was the biggest size map I could find. I have it and I guess I could try to type of the list for you.

However:

Atlas Map Markers For Old Skyrim

This mod seems to be the intention you are going for and what I want to see on my Xbox version. Perhaps you can take a look at his mod? He already used the Prima Guide and added those locations. There seems to be no version or attempts to move this to the new skyrim.

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, I couldn't magnified the map enough to read the text.  So I'm gonna to try Windows preview image feature to either zoom out or zoom in and I think that could do the trick.

Regarding Altas Map Marker for SLE, I am not gonna to add those map markers that exist in the Atlas Map Marker mod for two reasons.

1.  Not adding map markers inside of any city for the divine shrines there can be found in the wilderness and my reason for not doing that is that I want my mod to be compatible with Open Cities Skyrim (OCS) regardless what loadorder a player has.

2.  I think it is impossible to port the Atlas Map Marker mod to SSE, because it requires SKSE hence for using MCM and SKSE64 for SSE is likely not gonna be released for a long time probably never. 

Besides, I consider some map markers in the Atlas Map Markers mod to be cheating and that's something I won't do in my mod. 

I want anyone who is using my mod to be excited about what new places there can be found without knowing such a place even exist. :)

The largest poster I could find. I think it's the same one.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1yhuyz14YL.jpg

I am sorry if I came off as asking you to just copy his mod! That was not my intention at all. That would be silly. We would just ask for a port. I meant you could download it and grab the map markers you find useful. 

Just curious. What kinds of map makers do you consider cheating?

Again, if you have no luck reading the text on the side I can attempt to start typing out that information for you. With that map I can zoom in enough to read the unmarked locations circle text on the map at least.

1 hour ago, ejnomad07 said:

Just curious. What kinds of map makers do you consider cheating?

Again, if you have no luck reading the text on the side I can attempt to start typing out that information for you. With that map I can zoom in enough to read the unmarked locations circle text on the map at least.

When I read the description on Nexus, I find map markers for skill books cheating plus a few more locations.  I think that mod also add map markers for Barenziah's Stones, but I'm not sure about that.  As I stated it here that's out of scope for this mod.

I think I can manage to zoom out the map enough to read the text, but thanks for offering your help.

14 hours ago, ejnomad07 said:

I agree if it's just for a skill book, but most of those Skill books are actually in unique off the beaten path locations worth seeing.

Then anyone who wants to read a skill book needs to be a curious explorer. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Leo,

I have zero experience with modding Skyrim. That said, how hard is it to learn how to add these kind of fast travel markers to the game if I wanted to make custom ones for myself?

It isn't that hard, but what's hard is to avoid existing object.  Just click on the Static then scroll down to the MapMarker static and drag it into the Render window then simple drop it into place.

Although, I already knew the control keys and I think this information is enough to get started.  If you already had placed an object in the Render window than simple select it and press the DELETE key.

If you want to know more about the CK then post your question here.  Good luck! :)

• 2 months later...

I haven't read this thread for a couple of months due for being involved in this project, which I have been waiting for years.  Another reason is that I lost my inspiration to mod ealier this year.

On 2017-08-28 at 11:46 PM, ejnomad07 said:

Maybe something you can check out and place map markers for if you don't have some.

Speaking of which, you wouldn't know what the location, just south east of Markath, that's added by Dawnguard is and all I can see on that map you posted a while back show the town/village icon.  But what name has it?

• 4 months later...

After five months I decided to ask a question to the people who are using my mod.  Has anyone discover new locations that doesn't have a map marker yet?

The reason I ask is because I dunno if there is new locations to be found and that makes an update to the 1.9 version unlikely to happen in the future.  Unless, I get a report about a recently found bug or similar. 

Someone have uploaded on Nexus a Spanish translation of my mod without my permission and I decided to hide it due for lacking permission, but also allowing donation points which I don't like one bit. 

My mod:  https://www.nexusmod...tion/mods/15276

Spanish:  https://www.nexusmod...tion/mods/17994

My decision is based on what reaction I have about this.

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

report the translation as unauthorized.

I did that as soon I notice that translation, but have the Nexus staff acted not I am aware of.

No, they haven't and something tells me that they are gonna ignore my report and allow unauthorized mods to uploaded without risking a warning or worse to be banned from Nexus.  That really sucks and my respect for Dark0ne just vanish.

2 hours ago, Leonardo said:

I did that as soon I notice that translation, but have the Nexus staff acted not I am aware of.

No, they haven't and something tells me that they are gonna ignore my report and allow unauthorized mods to uploaded without risking a warning or worse to be banned from Nexus.  That really sucks and my respect for Dark0ne just vanish.

But they'll sure as heck jump all over users for other lame crap.