Angrenor Once-Honored Dying

ejnomad07

Angrenor keeps randomly dying in my game for no reason whatsoever.

I searched online and many others report his same demise with no reason for it.

No dragon attacks nor vampires.

Seems like a bug more than a scripted event. Can't understand why they would make a script to kill off a marriage option and in a random fashion.

He is also supposed to take over the Aretino Residence and dies on me way before he can do that.

Unless something changed in SSE, I've never had that happen before. Angrenor is still alive in my old saves from the original version of Skyrim. Pretty sure there's no script that kills him either. He's always taken over the Arentino Residence just fine in my game too.

Try this. Start a game go to the city and give him gold to be his friend.

Let the game sit and pass time in the city for a few days or run in and out of buildings exploring them like I did.

The courier will run up to you with a letter of inheritance. At this point I could never find his body! Using Open Cities.

If it doesn't happen to you please call me crazy!

• 2 years later...

It's never happened to me with Angrenor... but I have had Nilsine Shatter-Shield, and Niranye the high-elven merchant/Thieves-Guild fence, both die unexpectedly on me. In Nilsine's case, I found out right away because I got the inheritance letter, having become her "friend" after solving the Blood On The Ice murders: in Niranye's case, I didn't realise until I went to sell something to her, found her not there, then went to her home and found her not there either.

In both cases, when I did used the following console commands "tcl" and "player.moveto" to their refID, I discovered their body floating in the air somewhere underneath Windhelm.

Perhaps there is a glitched spot somewhere in the city of Windhelm where it's possible for someone to fall right through the floor if they step on the wrong point, and Angrenor, Nilsine and Niranye just respectively happened to land on that particular point in your game and mine? I wonder if it's related to (a) the fact that I was also going into and out of doors, and (b) the fact that sometimes when NPCs are going up stairs it looks like their feet are sinking into the stairs rather than stepping on them, and perhaps if you leave or re-enter the area at exactly the wrong moment while said NPC is doing that, is that possibly anything to do with why they fall through the floor?

A second time Niranye disappeared, and doing a "player.moveto" on her refID brought me to a small, cross-shaped room containing a number of dead named NPCs (most of whom I'd killed myself, with the exceptions of Roggvir who is executed in Solitude, and Susanna the Wicked who is murdered in Windhelm), plus a still-living Malborn (who had not even come into the game yet). I assume this is the game's "limbo" room where certain corpses go after they're cleared out: and that Niranye had fallen through the floor again and died, and that this time it had happened long enough ago that her corpse had been cleared out of the game. Selecting her and typing first "resurrect" and then "recycleactor" seemed to work to restore her to life, since I had no recent-previous save in which she was alive and didn't want to go back a week.

(No, she too had not been killed in either a vampire or dragon attack. In Nilsine's case I had seen her, in broad daylight, only a couple of minutes previously, before entering Sadri's Used Wares to sell goods. When I came out, she was gone, and I'd been trying to go talk to her to see if she had anything to say about Muiri - she doesn't, but I didn't know that.)

[EDIT] Wow, this bug report is old... didn't realise it was this old... however, it happened to me with Niranye only last month, so I assume it's still a thing that can happen?

• 2 years later...

Angrenor randomly died for me too so I resurrected him with the console. Hope that doesn't corrupt my save but I want him for the Aretiro residence mod. I too gave him money, wandered around Windhelm, then found him dead on the stairs. I know this thread is old but wanted to confirm this is still happening in 2022, with AE, and with USSEP installed.

Yes, it happened to me too, several times. Victims being Nilsine Shatter-Shield, Hillevi Cruel Sea, Vivienne Onis, a Khajiit I never even talked to and basically all the citizenry of Kynesgrove during Alduin's visit.

My best guess at the time was that something in the loading process had gone wrong and they have spawned at some distance from the ground, splatting down (having a low-end PC, it happens), so I reloaded the save (whenever possible) and set them Protected (using Proteus). Apparently it worked, so basically the first thing I do when I enter a city is running around checking if all  the unique characters are at least Protected.

Note that my initial assumption about them spawning at some distance from the ground was probably wrong since at least Vivienne died in her own house, but putting them protected is a workaround that works since I checked and rechecked and no one of them died by scripted event or attack from anyone. So, again, my best guess is that there is somehow a random glitch that sets/lower their HP to 0, effectively killing them.

Edited by Ryokhan
typos