Elk Pelt not working

justafyde

From what I’ve read elsewhere there were two kinds of elk hide and one was renamed to elk pelt in usleep. I’ve picked up one of these from the storeroom wing in Lakeview Manor. Initially I wanted this to get some leather, but I also read elsewhere that pelts could not be crafted into leather (but their hides can). I then read that you used the pelt to create a mounted elk head. I tried that using the workbench in my cellar but it ignored the elk pelt in my inventory.

That whole thing is confusing because Bethesda didn't even get it right until we fixed it. Deer and elk are two separate animals in the game, but both the "Deer Hide" and "Elk Hide" were named "Deer Hide".

Then there's the "Elk Pelt" (which was incorrectly named "Deer Pelt" before we changed it) that you can find in various areas in the game. It doesn't actually come from an animal but is instead only found sitting around in various areas of the game. It looks as though the pelt can't be made into leather at a tanning rack and also won't work for creating the Hearthfire animal trophies; you'll need to use the hides for tanning and for the trophy room additions. The pelt appears as though it isn't used for crafting at all and probably serves no purpose other than to sell to a vendor for small amount of gold.

From the change log:

• Object "DeerPelt" uses the same model as the recently fixed Elk hides, so it will now display as "Elk Pelt". (Bug #17367)
  • Elk Hide and Deer Hide are both labeled as Deer Hide. The object which the CK refers to as "DeerHide" (DeerHide02 is for actual deer) will now display in game as "Elk Hide". (Bug #16526)

Apparently pelts only belong to carnivors and hides to herbivores. I got it wrong about the Mounted Elk Head in the cellar - it requires and works fine with the elk hide I bought at market.

I’d like to suggest a renaming of the "Elk Pelt" to "Elk Fur" or "Elk Skin" as it can neither be used for leather nor for mounted heads, and an Elk is not a carnivore.