Can I pay you?

Daveccarsley

Hi everyone. I'm completely new here (like, 30 minutes new), so I'll make this a sort of introduction even though I came here to ask a specific question. (Don't care about my intro? TL;DR at the bottom).

*If the mods feel this belongs strictly in the "introduction" thread despite the question I've posted this to ask, please move it, or tell me and I will.*

My name is Dave. I'm from Michigan and have been playing [console, PC, and handheld] games for about 25 years (I'm 31). I work in Detroit, and as a Firefighter/EMT. I'm also apparently incapable of saying anything with brevity - a slowly self-realized character flaw that is what it is - hence, my propensity for including TL;DRs in my posts.

Thus far, from the threads I've viewed, the atmosphere here doesn't seem nearly as toxic as other places on the internet, but just in case I've got that wrong, I'll just get this right out of the way: I'm a NON-self-loathing "console peasant". It's not a money thing; it's not a knowledge thing; I like consoles; I don't want another gaming PC. For those who love gaming PCs- You're wonderful. For those who love consoles- You're wonderful. What do both have in common? We play - and love - Video games. I personally feel strongly that more people need to breathe deeply and repeat that statement while meditating. Having lived through much of the transformation of gaming, from a tiny, niche, adolescent-boys-only club into the amazingly broad and massive industry it's become, I can say with confidence that if one removed console OR PC gaming from its history, the unbelievable gaming industry we [mostly] love today DOES NOT exist. :-)

That being said, after playing maybe 300 hours of Skyrim on 360, and about 200 hours of Fallout 4 on PS4, I bought S:SE and Fallout 4 for Xbox One (It may be interesting to some to note that in the last couple years I've bought ~65 PS4/PSVR games and about 5 Xbox One games, and now, my last 4 purchases have all been Xbox One games- Sony done screwed up as far as this gamer is concerned).

Anyway, I told you all of that to help make the point that I am BRAND NEW to modding. So new in fact, that I have all my mods downloaded and ready, but haven't even started a game with them yet. So please, please forgive me if this subject is somehow...taboo.

I searched for a similar thread of course, but no real luck. My searching DID however, net me a very basic understanding that there is some type of "paid modding" controversy. It seemed to me that this was more of a "I want the option to charge" VS. "I do this work because I love it, not to make people pay to improve their games", which is fine and dandy, and an argument that - as a mod consumer but not a mod creator - I wouldn't dare try to take a stance either way in.

That said, where I come from, we are fine with people giving us things for free; often, we'll take them and just offer a simple thank you and a smile. However, if said people have clearly poured dozens or hundreds of hours into crafting said thing, we also reserve the right to offer the remittance of a small payment to the giver of free goods- unsolicited and often - as our salaries allow - inadequate as it may be.

I searched the FAQs of this site, and have found that the creator of the S:SE Unofficial Patch appears to take a strong stance against "charging" for their mods. This is appreciated. In my view however, "charging" is not the same as taking a small payment which is completely optional and again, unsolicited.

Are such offers allowed? Is there a system in place by which such desires can be carried out? And, as a more general question, am I partaking in any kind of world-o-modding taboo by asking a non-charging content creator if I can buy them a 12 pack (or whatever, not my concern where the money goes)?

Thanks for your concentration everyone!

[TL;DR] Do mod creators accept donations?

Hello there Dave, and welcome to AFKMods! :wave:

I don't think we're toxic here (at least I hope not). What you've found is home to the Unofficial Patches, and a bunch of modders out to have fun with their games and share knowledge of such. So feel free to browse the forums and/or the downloads section. :)

Such an innocent question, but yeah, you might get various answers - some modders do, some modders don't. As Nebulous points out, it's best to check a modders Nexus page (you know of Nexus, right?) as they have a secure donation system in place.

Hello, and welcome.

If we're less "toxic" it might be because there aren't too many of us. Having said that, newcomers are always welcome, and we don't discriminate against console players - we promise.

Well, maybe we jest about them, a bit ;)