Xbox specific considerations

ghastley

What are the options for mods that don't fit the "install it all" model that Bethesda has assumed for Xbox1 mods? If a mod has optional or alternate files, how are these handled?

There's no equivalent of the installation scripts you get with Bain or FOMOD to select what combination of pieces you want, plus the requirement that the pieces be archives, rather than loose files, is also a constraint.

Some mods can be packaged as several separate partial mods, with descriptions that indicate they are intended for use together, but that won't always be the case. The inability to put a hyperlink in a description is a limitation there, too.

What is anyone else doing?

Not much solutions. Basically, the three options are:

1) Provide one core mod published as Master, and several others intended as options that require it.

Pros:

- Allow user's choice

Cons:

- Multiple mods page

- Master order loading issue

- Really bothering for the author

2) Provide multiples versions of the mod.

Pros:

- Allow user's choice

Cons:

- Multiple mods page

- Extremely super very bothering because you actually need to edit the core mods for each version

3) Provide a single mod which is basically "author's cut" and say f***

Pros:

- Proper management, no need for additional steps.

- Easy issue tracking because there only is a single version.

Cons:

- No user's choice

Personally, O go for option 3 and recommend anyone to do the same. Experience have proven that people don't actually care for the options, they just want options for the sake of seeing options, even though they usually don't even notice the different between multiples ones. Plus I like to stick to my initial philosophy since console mods are a thing, i.e. : "Gladly sharing stuffs working out of the box, but never going to bother for console-specific adjustments".

Not much solutions. Basically, the three options are:

1) Provide one core mod published as Master, and several others intended as options that require it.

Pros:

- Allow user's choice

Cons:

- Multiple mods page

- Master order loading issue

- Really bothering for the author

2) Provide multiples versions of the mod.

Pros:

- Allow user's choice

Cons:

- Multiple mods page

- Extremely super very bothering because you actually need to edit the core mods for each version

3) Provide a single mod which is basically "author's cut" and say f***

Pros:

- Proper management, no need for additional steps.

- Easy issue tracking because there only is a single version.

Cons:

- No user's choice

Personally, O go for option 3 and recommend anyone to do the same. Experience have proven that people don't actually care for the options, they just want options for the sake of seeing options, even though they usually don't even notice the different between multiples ones. Plus I like to stick to my initial philosophy since console mods are a thing, i.e. : "Gladly sharing stuffs working out of the box, but never going to bother for console-specific adjustments".

I'm in all your "cons", really. I'm waiting for some updates/fixes by myself and/or/hope-so from Bethesda before uploading for XB1 my Gray Cowl of Nocturnal and The Notice Board.