Miscellaneous Quests Disappearing from Journal

FairEmma

Platform: XBox1; I am running a modded game with the patch and the dwemer portable home cube. Alongside, I'm running a game with no mods (of course, I can add the patch) to see if bugs in one game are replicated or absent from the other. However, I'm not nearly as far along in the non-modded: level 9; Modded: level 53.

Short of this comparison, which will take time (fun time, admittedly), I am uncertain how to provide proof of this problem. I can't show you a screen shot of something missing, and I can't replicate the problem given the NPCs won't give me the quest again. I can't find anything in AFK searches of corroboration. After searches on Google, I found anecdotal evidence a similar problem existed prior, in the non-SE version (e.g. 2014, 2015). Maybe the best I can do is give this a mention against possible future appearances for other players who can provide quality proof. ;)

Quests are disappearing from the Miscellaneous section of my Journal, and I'm stranded in various stages of completing the quests.

1) I get Amren's quest, I get the journal entry and the location arrow pointing to Redoran's Retreat. I clear the dungeon, and there's no sword. I look in my journal, and Amren's quest isn't there.

2) The first game quest I get when I follow Hadvar is always the 'Join the Legion' quest. It did appear, but then disappeared. I can't say when, and I know that doesn't prevent me doing the quest, but the callout was gone, which is weird.

3) Dravin gives me his bow quest. I check the chests in the Ratway room and find it in the usual chest. I go to return the bow. Can't find Dravin for trying. The quest has disappeared from my journal. The item location arrow appeared throughout, even over the chest. I can now remove the quest bow from inventory.

Not one of these particular quests is critical, but it is strange they're disappearing.

Thanks for reading. :)

I've had enough bizarre things happen in this game that the disappearing quests may not be an actual bug at all. I was talking to a friend about all the crash reports and recalled that fairly early in my game I had two big freezes that threw me out of the game. These were accompanied by a noise so loud and frying-sounding that the first thing I thought of was 'nuclear meltdown' (in the real sense). I just experienced a third loud freeze/shut down, and out of the blue, Amren just gave me the option to do his quest again. Huh.

Other games play fine on this system. Even Skyrim SE carries on as if there's nothing seriously wrong on the surface. But perhaps those loud freezes changed something in one of those save files that has carried on as a sort of file degradation ... not an unplayable corrupted file, but one that perhaps went to the face sculptor and got a tiny bit of an unwanted face lift?

I'm truly sorry for posting if this is purely an isolated weirdness. I'm so used to five years of playing with lots of bugs, and sometimes bugs that happen to a very small population of players, that I always wonder.

Hard to know exactly what to say here. Quests shouldn't be disappearing from your journal unless you complete or fail them. It could be caused by a badly sorted load order. USSEP (Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch) should be at the top of your load order. We've been get a lot of reports from others who have had other weird issues like this due to placing USSEP incorrectly so that's something to check. If you can provide us with your load order we may be able to determine if that's a factor.

Additionally, if mods are removed from your load order and you continue on with the game, it often causes permanent damage to the save file and will require starting over. None of us on the project team play SSE on the Xbox One console (as far as I know) so all we can really go on is that this isn't something that should be happening under normal circumstances and doesn't occur on the PC version of the game.

Thanks for the reply. Should I be reporting elsewhere, as I play on the XBox1? Arthmoor lists these resources for XBox players to report bugs. I'm sorry if I should have kept the posting elsewhere.

My mods are USSEP (top of list) and Dwemer Storage Cube (bottom of list). Nothing in between. Near the beginning of my game, I had Open Cities (so, three mods at that time, Open City in the middle). But that seemed to lead to a litany of door problems, including getting locked inside Breezehome. I finally got out, disabled Open Cities, all doors were operable (and named again ... e.g. Belethor's General Store). As disabling the mod restored the world of doors perfectly, I thought I should just delete it. I did. From there little troubles started happening. I've learned you don't delete mods willy nilly, and realized Open Cities might not have been the source of any problems. So, if I read your reply correctly, deleting this one mod was the act that likely doomed me, yes?

I'm new to mods, as very few games in all my gaming years (now at 32 years) have been ported to Mac, gaming support for Mac has been thin, and I've never owned a PC. I've tried to get as much of a crash course on mods as possible, but I've clearly still miles to go before I sleep. ;)

I'm going to hang onto this game, see if I can complete most of the quests. I'm fond of this character. But I have a clean game alongside, too, as a fallback. (And I'm cool with that ... I've lived many years inside Bethesda games!)

Again, thanks muchly.

Should I be reporting elsewhere, as I play on the XBox1?

If you have a bug report (that isn't due to user error or a mod conflict and can be reliably reproduced) then the tracker [https://afktrack.afkmods.com/] is where it should go. The forums are generally for questions, discussions, and help with modding in general. Bug reports have a tendency to get lost or forgotten about here in the various threads.

I've learned you don't delete mods willy nilly, and realized Open Cities might not have been the source of any problems. So, if I read your reply correctly, deleting this one mod was the act that likely doomed me, yes?

It sounds like a strong possibility. As a rule, removing any mod on an existing save and continuing has the same potential to cause problems that can't be reversed. Removing Open Cities may or may not have caused the disappearing quest issue you mentioned but it's highly likely that it could be the reason for the crashing.

One point on OCS too. If you run into situations where exiting a building puts you into the wrong worldspace and you can't open any doors, it's because something else in your load order edited the door and needs to be moved above it in your load list. That would have solved the problem completely.