Can an SSEEdit Script do this type of merge?

DanielCoffey

I am hoping to find a simple way to reflect the following changes from the English version of Book Covers Skyrim into the other seven language versions. Here is a picture of the type of change I need to reflect..

BCSTextureSet.jpg

1. Each of the eight language versions has its own TXST Texture Set block containing all the different texture sets (such as BCS_NotePLain01R and BCS_NotePLain01F).

2. I have made the required changes to the English version (currently index [05] in the example above). This example occurs in roughly three hundred records, all with different TXST references.

3. I want to drag the entire Model block from the English version to all versions to the right. If it can be automated, I don't mind doing it one one-to-one version seven times.

4. When I try to do it by hand, I have to do it in two parts... the MODL record then the MODS record. When I try to drag the MODS record it of course tries to assign Book Covers Skyrim.esp as a master to the next file to the right and keeps the [05] index on the TXST entries. I would like them to pick up the index of the file it is being dragged to.

Does that make sense?

Perhaps it would be easier if I looked at it the other way round? CLONE a copy of the English Book Covers Skyrim.esp and drag the non-English name and text of each book into it? It is still three-hundred odd pairs of fields to drag in seven languages but is that easier to automate?

I would still have to copy the CELL and WORLD record blocks afterwards but there are far fewer of those.

For me it looks like you just want to translate your english version plugin into several languages. There are some excellent tools available like SSETranslator and ESP-ESM Translator which can create dictionaries from existing mods in different languages and use them later for translations with a single click.

Yes you are right. I had forgotten about the translation tool. When I think about it, all I want to do is take the English ESP and swap it into the other official supported languages. As long as it does the Book Name and Book text, I can always check the Cell names manually later.

That seems to do the job, thanks. Any Books that I had changed the titles of needed picking from the list manually but the rest were handled automatically.

Are there any Code Page shenanigans I need to be aware of because a Russian player reported that he was getting weird characters appearing when using the RU version. All I had dome was take the old BCS RU ESP and passed it through the SSE CK. It still looked good to me in SSEEdit but he reported this...

BCSRU.png

I'm not sure to understand the exact nature of this last issue and I don't even know how russian language is supposed to display ingame, but in french something something similar happened :

The text looks 100 % ok in the CK but some weird characters like these squares appear ingame. It was because the note/book used some non-regular fonts (dwemer, daedric) : all accented characters (É, È, Ê, À, é, è, ê, ô, û, î, à, ç, Ç, and so on...) turned to oddities.

Russian uses cp-1251 in old Skyrim and UTF-8 in SSE. You need to set that in settings in the used translation tool. Ask their authors how to if there is no obvious place.

Thanks for all the help - that is BCS updated with a fresh Language Pack now.

I will see what I have to do to get the CZECH ESP updated to UTF8 since there was no official dictionary in Skyrim SE.